Diablo 3's Retro Diablo Level is Now Live

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo 3's Retro Diablo Level is Now Live

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1371/1371860.png
Diablo 3's Patch 2.4.3 brings with it the "Darkening of Tristram" event, which re-creates the original Diablo cathedral dungeon.

Today, the special 20th Anniversary Patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169146-Blizzard-is-Celebrating-20-Years-of-Diablo] for Diablo 3 went live, meaning you can now delve back into the original Diablo cathedral dungeon one more time.

The "Darkening of Tristram" event can be triggered by traveling to the "Darkening of Tristram" location in adventure mode, then traveling through the portal to teleport you to old Tristram. The game puts a super retro-filter on, which makes everything looked pixelated like the 1996 original game, and also alters a few UI elements to match. As you delve through the labyrinth, you'll battle classic enemies like The Butcher and Diablo himself, and be able to earn yourself some exclusive loot.

Most of the "new loot" is just cool trasmogs for your existing gear, with the only real new item being:

Red Soulstone Shard (Legendary Gem)
Periodically struggle for control, unleashing a ring of Fire that inflicts 12,500% weapon damage to enemies it passes through
After gaining a level, your resource costs are removed and cooldowns on skills are reduced by 75% for 30 seconds (Requires Rank 25)

The event only lasts until the end of January, so if you want to get your loot and achievements now is the time to boot Diablo 3 back up.

Source: Diablo [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20426802]

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
0 comments were given. Except this one. And no, this has nothing to do with your article.

Replace comments with fucks. Even though... gotta admit... somehow, I now feel a bit like playing it. What the fuck?

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
There's also a royal cow pet. And lot of the basic magic items have mildly interesting flavor text.

If you use a level 1 fresh character on master, it only took me and 2 pugs about an hour to complete the thing.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I wish they'd done this without the retro changes and style.

Being able to play through the original game in a modernized format is something I've wanted for a long while. To do that and then intentionally make it worse is rather disappointing. Pixelated graphics? Forced walking? Reduced degrees of rotation? Yeah, no thanks. If I wanted to play an old game, I'd play an old game. I don't see the appeal in this.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Jadak said:

Being able to play through the original game in a modernized format is something I've wanted for a long while. To do that and then intentionally make it worse is rather disappointing. Pixelated graphics? Forced walking? Reduced degrees of rotation? Yeah, no thanks. If I wanted to play an old game, I'd play an old game. I don't see the appeal in this.
Wait what? They fuck with mechanics and stuff? Ewww.
Well I was almost excited for this.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I thought it was fun, did all the little secret things in town. I'm happy they're still putting work into the the game that isn't directly monetizing them anymore. I really wish for another full expansion though.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Zydrate said:
Jadak said:

Okay it wasn't as bad as they let on. No mechanics are changed, just visuals. The "forced walking" was negated constantly due to the speed boost you get for destroying the environment, which as a Marauder DH, I did every time I right clicked.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Zydrate said:
Zydrate said:
Jadak said:

Okay it wasn't as bad as they let on. No mechanics are changed, just visuals. The "forced walking" was negated constantly due to the speed boost you get for destroying the environment, which as a Marauder DH, I did every time I right clicked.
I think it's just the walking animation, you still move regular speed.