Diablo Gets Demolished, Hardcore Style

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Diablo Gets Demolished, Hardcore Style

A Canadian gamer has become the first person to officially beat Hardcore Inferno Diablo 3.

"Inferno" is the highest level of difficulty available in Diablo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Standard-Edition-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340219697&sr=8-1&keywords=Diablo+3], and it's pretty tough stuff. "Hardcore" is the permadeath mode; if you die, no matter where or when it happens - a minute from the start, a minute from the end or anywhere in between - you lose your character and all his possessions forever. Put the two together and you've got Hardcore Inferno, the toughest challenge the game has to offer. And it's been beaten.

As documented in "Kripp & Krippi vs. Diablo," a player by the name of Kripparrian [http://www.youtube.com/Kripparrian] has become the first person ever to accomplish the feat. Even more impressively, he (or they, it's actually not completely clear) did it before the release of the 1.0.3 patch, which actually tones down the difficulty. "We wanted to do it before it was nerfed," he says in the video. "With this patch, the bosses, the mobs, they become easier... we didn't want to beat it that way. We wanted to beat the game when it was hard, at the hardest point possible. So it was a race against time."

Victory was actually achieved yesterday, but it took Blizzard awhile to acknowledge it. In fact, Blizzard Community Manager Micah Whipple initially expressed doubt, tweeting [https://twitter.com/Bashiok/status/215008237513224192], "People think that was the first HC Inferno clear? Weird. Webcams r 2 legit 2 quit. hay HAY," but after checking the data the next day - apparently Blizzard sees all and knows all - he acknowledged that it was in fact the first Hardcore Inferno kill on record.

"My apologies Kripp and Krippi, looks like you were 1st HC Inferno clear. (my spreadsheet deciphering isn't what it used to be)," he wrote [https://twitter.com/Bashiok/status/215136718981046274]. "Congrats!"

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Was there a prize or something involved? This gets the same response as the people who like to post "First!!!" in response to any post, or people who brag about reaching level eleventy-five or whatever the current cap is in WoW first...

"Who cares??"

I'm not certain which aspect irks me more, the folks who do this because they think it's something worthwhile, or the people who line up to say "congrats!!!" immediately afterwards.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Wait they set a really hard challenge then go "lol no" for a while in disbelief when someone beats it? Do they even know their playerbase? Someone somewhere will have aced it in week one, probably without losing any health I can assure you.

Wonder if the first thing Blizzard did was check whether he was cheating? Diablo 3 seems to be a bit of a disaster for Blizzard since the word go... Now for Activision to announce Diablo 4 through 7 within 6 months of each other and kill the entire franchise through Complete. Global. Oversaturation!

[sub]Sorry still slightly bitter about Guitar Hero XP[/sub]

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
"Oh no! Someone already beat it? Damn, we were hoping the single player lag would destroy their attempts for a while longer!" - Blizzard

And they didn't believe it? Really? They thought someone wouldn't have done that within weeks of release?

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Surprised they didn't automatically ban him for cheating.
This.
I know I should be in awe or something, but all I can feel for this guy is pity.
I like gaming, too. But this...

Mumorpuger said:
I'm not certain which aspect irks me more, the folks who do this because they think it's something worthwhile, or the people who line up to say "congrats!!!" immediately afterwards.
Yeah, this.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Mumorpuger said:
Was there a prize or something involved? This gets the same response as the people who like to post "First!!!" in response to any post, or people who brag about reaching level eleventy-five or whatever the current cap is in WoW first...

"Who cares??"

Well this is an accomplishment, it was supposed to be too hard to beat, and he beat it, saying "first" takes no skill, being first to do something does. ANd he may be the only one to ever beat it in this way if blizz nerfs the difficulty.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mumorpuger said:

"Who cares??"

I dunno, the first guy to beat "I Wanna Be The Guy" on Nightmare mode got lots of congratulations... and calls to be locked in a straightjacket. It really IS an achievement in some cases.

Observer: "You beat it on NIGHTMARE? ... You're insane."

Player: "I know."

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
"Who cares??"
That's really all i can muster up. it's hard to get excited about someone beating a hard game that's mildly mediocre. you die once and its all over? hell theres a truckload of old school nes games that pretty much do that and people have beaten those

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Congrats to Kripparian.

To those who ask "Why?" I'll merely say "Why not?" I recognised Kripp's name as he was also the first person to beat the Ironman Challenge in WoW - an unofficial, player run event where people levelled tried to level 1 to 85 solo with no spec, no statted gear, no professions and no deaths (among other things.)

That one wasn't even officially recognised by Blizzard, but he did it anyway, presumably as he saw it as an interesting challenge. The guy's main in WoW has a ludicrous number of world firsts so it's not like he's got anything to prove.

This D3 thing is just the same - a personal challenge, a competition amongst enthusiastic players of the game, and I'm betting that (just like the IMC) it's a lot harder than it sounds.

So grats to him. I hope he enjoyed the experience, and I'm sure he did.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
All I can say is congrats,

my HC Monk died the first time I ever saw the elite Desert Worm (it becomes a cave if you beat it), it ate me and I was done... Still haven't gone back to HC.

*it was Hell difficulty.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Micah Whipple sound like an ass for dimissing their claim that they're are the first to beat the game on Hardcore Inferno afterall they should of know right away if it was legit or not due to keeping track on who's hacking or not oh wait they don't

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Mumorpuger said:

"Who cares??"

Have you ever played a video game? 'Cause with that attitude, I would say you haven't.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Mumorpuger said:
"Who cares??"
You're truly a man of wisdom, sir.

Might be because I'm the least competetive person in the world, but what do these people expect, a pat on the back for being able to play video games really well?

Gaming is something I do in my spare time for my very own enjoyment, and I couldn't care less if I was the first, the last, or anywhere in between person to finish a game. Even if I was more interested in defeating the challenge the game poses (which I barely am, for me it's usually more about story, flow, graphics, voice acting and the like - I like my games at a difficulty level where I die or fail not more than once or twice at the really tough parts), I wouldn't be very interested to compare my own "achievements" with people I don't know.

That said, IF I was more interested in beating the game on any but the lowest available difficulty, and if I indeed succeeded, I wouldn't see the point in putting it on youtube and brag to you guys out there about it.

Then again, If everyone was as much of a grouch as I am, there wouldn't be as much stuff on youtube, right?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I find it very sad that not only does the Blizzard rep not believe it to begin with, his company is monitoring every player so closely he can just call up a window and look at exactly what the guy's been doing.

That's full on Oceana territory there, what's next, re-writing play logs so only people they (or Activision) like can get major achievements?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Okay so what i'm getting from my fellow Escapists is that the guy who done it cheated. Where does it say that he cheated?

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
impressive but in the greater scheme does it really matter and will anyone care? I bet in a few weeks a conversation will take place..

Kripp & Krippi "Hell's yeah we beat D3 inf on HC yo!"

Random player "Guy's that was like three weeks ago.. So what's your point?"

Kripp & Krippi "That we beat it before Blizz nerfed it."

Random player ...(sniff) "And?"

Oh Dr. Mongo.. The Avatar.. excellent choice sir.. Whiskers absolutely made that series..

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This calls for this:

I'm not really surprised that Blizzard didn't believe him. Congratz to him I guess?