Diablo III Arena-Style PvP May Never Happen

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Diablo III Arena-Style PvP May Never Happen

Blizzard is content to make a great PvE experience in Diablo III, so the odds of rebalancing classes to cram in arena style PvP aren't very likely.

Now that the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls release this week is consuming the lives of players, it is understandable that some want to know what is next for the Blizzard team behind the game. One thing you can probably rule out all together is arena-style PvP.

"We have all these legendary items and set bonuses that just make you feel super powerful in PvE, and are just super unfair or frustrating to play against in PvP," Blizzard Senior Technical Designer Wyatt Cheng told our Andrea Rene during the Reaper of Souls launch event. "I think that PvP games need to be designed with PvP in mind, and we could try to do both, but I think ultimately the PvE game would be compromised."

Cheng did add, however, that they haven't stopped studying the possibilities. "Although we won't be doing anything like 4v4 arena-style combat anytime soon, the desire is still there for competition. So, I think that we can try to find other ways to still meet that player desire, probably in a more, you now, PvE and PvP combining way. Something like PvE races or PvEvP. so maybe we'll probably be looking more in those directions."

The new Adventure Mode is also drawing a lot of interest, something that Cheng said is pretty important to the team, as it shows off more of the world, creatures and random dungeons. "Adventure mode allows us to say 'hey, here's a bounty, and the bounty says go into that side dungeon, get to the bottom, kill the unique at bottom of that dungeon and that completes your bounty!' And there's tons of these. So we get to take you to some new places, we get to take you to some old places that you just don't go to as much anymore. You get to go do an event. But with the bounty as the objective, you do the event, enjoy it while you're there."

The idea, Cheng said, was to make the randomized content more interesting. "The whole idea is to not just randomize some of that content but do it in an interesting way," he said. "You know what's funny to me? There are side dungeons, that have been there since the day the game launched, but no one's ever gone into them. ... I mean, like for the hardcore player, when they're trying to play through and finish their quest or finish their area, they see a side dungeon and they don't go into it. And we said that's kind of shame, because, I understand that it might not be as rewarding for you to go in there right now, but you'd probably have a lot of fun just in terms of variety of experience."

Other topics Cheng touched on:

The Auction House is finally gone, and there have been few complaints. "Diablo is about playing and killing monsters to get the prize, so of course you want the prize. But an AH doesn't necessarily make for the best game experience. ... We want to make sure that killing monsters is the best way to get the best items in the game."
No comment on the console versions of the game. "I can't answer that, but I recognize that you had to ask."
If you want a cool bow, look for the Cluckeye. "When you get the Cluckeye, don't dismiss it too fast. It doesn't necessarily tell you how awesome it is until you actually see the chicken flying through the air."

Want to listen to the whole interview? Just play Andrea's audio file below:

[audio=http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/702/702771.mp3]

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i don't particularly care about diablo, to be honest. but the reason i'm commenting on this here topic is because i seem to remember this arena style pvp being something they've touted since release as "coming soon", and now they announce it's not gonna happen. pretty sleazy, in my opinion.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
That's just too bad. Guess I'll have to stick to Dark Souls 2 for my arena-PvP want. Wait, that's not a bad thing at all...

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
i don't particularly care about diablo, to be honest. but the reason i'm commenting on this here topic is because i seem to remember this arena style pvp being something they've touted since release as "coming soon", and now they announce it's not gonna happen. pretty sleazy, in my opinion.
I think it's something that they wanted to do but were never satisfied with. Honestly I don't see how it could possibly work well in a game like Diablo. Either everyone gets the same set of default PvP gear, which seems boring, or it turns into a one-shot shitstorm because of the massive numbers you can eventually push out.

People have the right to be frustrated by this, because Blizzard has been talking about it for quite a while. I just don't see the appeal in this style of game.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Oh man are we still talking about this train wreck of a game? It's reached the threshold of terrible points, and they can keep acting like taking away all they're BS greed drivin feature, and keep adding common sense features that they should have from the beginning but does any of it make this game exciting again? Why is Diablo 3 in the gaming news every two seconds these days?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
I think it's something that they wanted to do but were never satisfied with. Honestly I don't see how it could possibly work well in a game like Diablo. Either everyone gets the same set of default PvP gear, which seems boring, or it turns into a one-shot shitstorm because of the massive numbers you can eventually push out.

People have the right to be frustrated by this, because Blizzard has been talking about it for quite a while. I just don't see the appeal in this style of game.
i spent quite a lot of time playing WoW, which begs the question, what balancing issues are they facing that they didn't already have to tackle with WoW? i remember PvP being extremely frustrating at times, but that's the nature of the beast, how is Diablo different? Couldn't they assign each piece of gear a Value and break it down to tiers based on average gearscore? i guess then you'd probably end up with nude players wielding beastly swords to average a low gearscore that then destroys newer players, who have average gearscores that resemble the Nude Beast's even though all they have is average gear, if that wasn't too convoluted to understand.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Compatriot Block said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

i spent quite a lot of time playing WoW, which begs the question, what balancing issues are they facing that they didn't already have to tackle with WoW? i remember PvP being extremely frustrating at times, but that's the nature of the beast, how is Diablo different? Couldn't they assign each piece of gear a Value and break it down to tiers based on average gearscore? i guess then you'd probably end up with nude players wielding beastly swords to average a low gearscore that then destroys newer players, who have average gearscores that resemble the Nude Beast's even though all they have is average gear, if that wasn't too convoluted to understand.
The main difference is that WoW's max-level PvP doesn't have to deal with randomly generated loot. Even with player-chosen enchantments and the like, Blizzard can ballpark how numerically powerful a class can get, and balance accordingly.

Not to mention that Diablo is at its core a number game, at least more so than WoW in some ways. No amount of "gitting gud" can help a Wizard that cannot one-shot players beat a Wizard that can, and you are never guaranteed to get equivalent gear due to random chance. At least in WoW, if you put your nose to the grindstone long enough, you'll make enough currency to buy better gear.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
That feels like a cheap cop-out, to me. I remember them saying that they weren't going to be even the slightest bit concerned about balancing the PvP, and that it was only going to be included as a fun little aside from the main game. Now they're claiming that they aren't going to implement it because it would be too hard to balance? Something's up. Either the balance is so grossly out of whack that the PvP would just be pure Witch Doctors or something, or Blizzard is talking out of their ass about the real reason they aren't putting the PvP into the game.

Maybe at BlizzCon someone will call them out on this during the Q&A session for D3. I guess we'll see.