Diablo III Box Art Revealed? Maybe Not

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Diablo III Box Art Revealed? Maybe Not

A Polish retailer posted an image today with what may or may not be the box art for Blizzard's action RPG Diablo III.

We've definitely seen our share of fake box art around the videogame biz, and a highly anticipated game like Diablo III is sure to pique the interest of someone savvy enough with PhotoShop to produce something palatable. The image below comes from a website called gram.pl [http://www.gram.pl/sklep/pc/diablo-iii] and features everyone's favorite demon screaming and brandishing his flaming fist. At first glance, the image looks legit and could conceivably pass muster in Blizzard's art department. Even the disclaimer - in English on a Polish website, mind you - stating that an internet connection is necessary for play even offline, much like Battle.net's functionality with Blizzard's latest title StarCraft II.

But then a careful eye will notice that the box-within-a-box is a bit crooked, the runes on the border don't quite feel authentic, and the whole square thing is pretty damn ugly once you mention it. And even if the whole World of Warcraft pet code is a nice touch, wouldn't that be reserved for the collector's edition as Blizzard is wont to do?

So this may be a nice hack job cobbled together from different sources. A quick check reveals that the image of firey Diablo isn't even supposed to be depicting him, but is rather a fan's interpretation of Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion in Blizzard's other franchise.

Nice try, Polish peoples. But yeah, that's a fugazi [http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fugazi#Italian].

Source: GameFront [http://www.gamefront.com/leaked-diablo-3-box-art-is-a-fake/]

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
yeah the whole box in a box thing looked pretty dodgy and it didnt really have the normal blizzard thing of making each new gamebox resemble the last one

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yeah, it looks like a well made fake.

Though I must say thats a wonderful illustration of Sargeras

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
That's a pretty sweet Sargeras though, I'll give 'em that. They certainly have good taste.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
Greg Tito said:
A quick check reveals that the image of firey Diablo isn't even supposed to be depicting him, but is rather a fan's interpretation of Sargeras, leader of the Burning Legion in Blizzard's other franchise.
Pfft, I don't remember no Sargeras in Starcraft!

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
How the heck that could ever pass for this guy

I do not know..
He looks like a cute little god in that photo not very terrifying.

It might be faked, but that art is pretty freaking awesome.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
So, this news article is basically "Polish image is not Diablo III box art"

Wow, this is game-changing (no pun intended), I think we should alert the media immediately.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
The Great JT said:
The first thought I had was "nice try, but that's Sargeras."
yeah first thought i had was "what are they trying to pull that looks nothing like diablo this is so fake".

ShadowsofHope said:

I do not know..

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Cool image but doesn't look like Diablo at all. Though I guess he was killed, so maybe there will be a new bad guy. Still this just reminds me of how damn long I'm waiting for this game. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Slaanax said:
ShadowsofHope said:

I do not know..
He looks like a cute little god in that photo not very terrifying.

It might be faked, but that art is pretty freaking awesome.
I agree, and yes.. I know. I could have found a more menacing Diablo image, but it really isn't all that imperative to scour the internet for one for a simple forum post, of course.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Too bad, I was hoping there might actually be some indication on when the damn thing is going to be released. Am I the only one (of course not) who thinks that Blizzard and Valve share the same development and release problems?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Greg Tito said:
as Blizzard is wont to do?
lolwut

This box art is pretty cool, but I honestly would have been disappointed if this was the official one. I'm sure the real one will be much cooler.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Mad Hamish said:
I'm pretty sure that those "runes" are actually the alphabet of Star Wars.
And I'm pretty sure that that's completely random and made up...