Diablo III Expansion Will Come to Consoles

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III Expansion Will Come to Consoles

Blizzard is also implementing a system that will let you carry over your characters from current-gen to next-gen.

Speaking to Reaper of Souls [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3348917], to the console version of the game. Additionally, he revealed that players who buy the game on current-gen consoles now will be able to carry their characters over if they purchase the game on next-gen consoles next year.

"So, is it going to come to console? Yes. Obviously we wanna bring this expansion to console, we don't exactly know how we're going to do it yet (we haven't announced that), and we're going to treat the expansion in the same way we treated Diablo III when we moved it onto console, which means that we have to make sure that it is adapted to the console eco system in a way that is going to play the best way possible."

As for the next-gen carry-over, Berger said "We haven't done it yet but our engineers tell us that we can and since that's what we want to [happen], that's our plan." Other games that are receiving a current and next-gen release, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4, have also announced similar upgrade schemes for carrying over stats.

Diablo III game director Josh Mosqueira also added that the team plans to make use of all the fancy new features next-gen consoles are touting, such as recording and uploading gameplay with the PlayStation 4's "share" button.

Lastly, the Mosqueira briefly touched on the M.I.A PvP patch. When asked if it would see simultaneous console release when it finally came out on PC, Mosqueira said no, it wouldn't, but this is only so the team can take the proper amount of time to really fix it up for the console version.

Source: AusGamers [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3348917]

Mar 30, 2010
As far as the expansion is concerned this is good to hear. My Demon Hunter character is getting a bit stale and I don't really fancy any of the other D3 classes, so the addition of the Crusader would fit in nicely with my playing style.

Are there any rumours regarding how much this expansion will cost?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Grouchy Imp said:
As far as the expansion is concerned this is good to hear. My Demon Hunter character is getting a bit stale and I don't really fancy any of the other D3 classes, so the addition of the Crusader would fit in nicely with my playing style.

Going by standard Blizzard expansion pack pricing: $40

Source: Heart of the Swarm, and all of the WoW expansion packs were $40 at launch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Lastly, the Mosqueira briefly touched on the M.I.A PvP patch. When asked if it would see simultaneous console release when it finally came out on PC, Mosqueira said no, it wouldn't, but this is only so the team can take the proper amount of time to really fix it up for the console version.
I feel really bad for the PC players who wasted their money only to be beta testers for the company. But hey, at least the people who bought the final product on the Console got the best possible version!
I disagree. I don't think I wasted my money. Sure, Diablo III is not as good as D2 + LOD was, but it's getting there, and hey, I sunk over 100 hours into it and enjoyed it, i would not call it a "waste of money"

Diablo III did not meet expectations, I agree with that, but it is in no sense of the word a "bad game" or a "waste of money"

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Ah, so there will likely be a goty edition bundled with the game and x-pack at some point. I don't care if I have to wait 3 years or so to get that version used so blizzard won't get my money. I'm in no hurry to play it or anything, especially after how anti consumer blizzard got with the pc release.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
I feel really bad for the PC players who wasted their money only to be beta testers for the company. But hey, at least the people who bought the final product on the Console got the best possible version!
I disagree. I don't think I wasted my money. Sure, Diablo III is not as good as D2 + LOD was, but it's getting there, and hey, I sunk over 100 hours into it and enjoyed it, i would not call it a "waste of money"

Diablo III did not meet expectations, I agree with that, but it is in no sense of the word a "bad game" or a "waste of money"[/quote]

I have to agree with you on that one. I dont actually think its fair to compare D3 to D2 plus LoD because thats a game plus an expansion. If you compare it to just D2 I think its actually a lot better. Once the expansion plus loot 2.0 comes around I think combined it could very easily make it better then D2 plus LoD.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Because they can't just patch the PC version. Meanwhile, it's usually a pain in the ass to release patches for consoles (lest we forget the Fez drama). So is it really that surprising that the PC players are going to "beta test" the PvP patch? Also, why would you feel sorry for an entire community getting free beta access? That's usually the kind of thing that droves of people will sign-up for, but only a handful get picked. So... yeah. If anything the PC community is lucky that they'll get to check it out first.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Desert Punk said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Desert Punk said:
Because they can't just patch the PC version. Meanwhile, it's usually a pain in the ass to release patches for consoles (lest we forget the Fez drama). So is it really that surprising that the PC players are going to "beta test" the PvP patch? Also, why would you feel sorry for an entire community getting free beta access? That's usually the kind of thing that droves of people will sign-up for, but only a handful get picked. So... yeah. If anything the PC community is lucky that they'll get to check it out first.
Fez isnt something you can compare to, Fez is a small indy game, made by a small company, with little money, Diablo 3 is a AAA game, from one of the most massive publishers out there activision/blizz, with more money than they could blow in years.

But sure they could patch it, but they wont. They already said they wont give their PC beta test people an offline version, even though they killed AH, and I would venture a lot of people arent going to give two shits about PvP.

And I feel sorry for them because they paid to do it, and according to blizzard, will never have the completed version.
I'm glad you feel so bad for me about something I couldn't care less about. Us poor PC users. -sigh-

:p

OT:
Makes very little difference to me since it is very unlikely that I will play the game on console, but we'll see. Maybe one of my friends ends up picking it up. But this is also kind of... Obvious. Why would they NOT bring it to consoles when they already have the full game on there? It'd be incongruous if anything else.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
well, untill they make the PC version offline the expansion could be free and I still wouldn't play it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Of course they want to treat it like Diablo 3 on PC, a beta test for the consoles that is.
I regret buying D3 it was such a waste of money, 1 copy of D3 vs 4 copies of Torchlight 2, had much more fun with TL2

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Desert Punk said:
I feel really bad for the PC players who (I feel) wasted their money only to be beta testers for the company. But hey, at least the people who bought the final product on the Console got the best possible version!
i feel bad for everyone , a polished shit, is still just a piece of shit. how this half arsed abortion of a travesty still makes news headlines is beyond me, it should be buried and long forgotten by now.

Mar 30, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Grouchy Imp said:

Source: Heart of the Swarm, and all of the WoW expansion packs were $40 at launch
Ouch, that's a fair whack of cash for a DLC pack. Ok then, another question from the guy whose last Blizzard purchase was Diablo 2 - do Blizzard expansion packs really bring so much new stuff to the table that they're worth two thirds of the base game cost?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Grouchy Imp said:
Steven Bogos said:
Grouchy Imp said:

Ouch, that's a fair whack of cash for a DLC pack. Ok then, another question from the guy whose last Blizzard purchase was Diablo 2 - do Blizzard expansion packs really bring so much new stuff to the table that they're worth two thirds of the base game cost?
Short answer: yes. They always have. Even in the Diablo II days. Look at Lord of Destruction

Mar 30, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Steven Bogos said:
Grouchy Imp said:

Short answer: yes. They always have. Even in the Diablo II days. Look at Lord of Destruction
That's good enough for me then. Cheers.