Diablo III Is The End Of The Trilogy, Not Of Diablo

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Diablo III Is The End Of The Trilogy, Not Of Diablo

It's the end of the Diablo trilogy but not the end of the franchise, according to Blizzard [http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/] has "plans beyond" the end of the game.

The Diablo III plot was developed by Chris Metzen, vice president of creative development at Blizzard and the man responsible for the stories told in the first two games. According to Wilson, the end of the trilogy will feature appearances by characters from throughout the Diablo tale. "We also tried to focus a little more on bringing characters back, and not just from Diablo I [http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2/]," he said, "We feel like a lot of the focus is on Diablo II but Diablo I started it all and has a lot of really good stuff on the gameplay side and on the character side. So people can expect to see characters from Diablo I, more characters from Diablo II and characters from some of the books. We're definitely going to bring a few of them in."

One character they won't be bringing in, however, is the Necromancer, despite its popularity with fans of the series. Explaining that the development team was more interested in creating new gameplay than in rehashing old characters, Wilson said, "The problem was, we looked at the [Necromancer] class and didn't think that we could really make him a lot better. We could add some new stuff to him but for the most part - curses, corpse explosion, skeleton pets - done. That's the class. We wanted to create new gameplay, so we chose to do the Witch Doctor as a different kind of class."

Even so, the Necromancer's role in the battle against the Prime Evils may not be over: Wilson said the character could very well make a return in a future expansion pack, a decision that would be driven by members of the development team as much as by fans. "There's a lot of people on our team who aren't happy with our class choices," Wilson revealed. "But after we've established Diablo III as its own game with its own type of gameplay and experiences, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at old classes. We are trying to design [the Witch Doctor] class so that if we did bring back the Necromancer, there's room for him. We're looking out ahead of time at what our expansions are going to be, so we've got to keep room open for some of those other classes down the road."

And if not in an expansion, then perhaps even further down the road; Wilson said that despite the end of the trilogy, Diablo will carry on. "We're not saying this is the end of the Diablo universe, but we are trying to bring this storyline to a close," he added. "It's not just Diablo III - we've got plans beyond."

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/12/diablo-iii-storyline/]

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Nooooooooooooo, no Necromancer? Why? Why?! (Exclamation of woe, the article explained why of course) Seriously, that sucks...

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
World of Diablo, here we come! I can't wait for Blizzard to eventually breakdown and make World of StarCraft too. I want to see people try and roleplay the Zerg. It'll be hilarious.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
WoD anyone? I wonder if they'll make Diablo into an MMO franchise. Personally I'd love to see Starcraft moved into an MMO. Three factions instead of the Two of WoW. And then they could implement some sort of cross game PvP if the game mechanics were similar enough. Terrans vs The Orcish Horde

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Meh. Never was a big fan of the Necromancer, more so when the Druid was released.

I'm curious on how they plan to bring back characters from the first game. The sorcerer was pretty much the same as the sorceress, the main change being gender. The rogue was replaced by the amazon and the warrior by the barbarian.

Not to mention they really can't bring the warrior back.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
HobbesMkii post=7.68301.624165 said:
World of Diablo, here we come! I can't wait for Blizzard to eventually breakdown and make World of StarCraft too. I want to see people try and roleplay the Zerg. It'll be hilarious.
I actually heard a half-decent system for controlling and roleplaying Zerg. Instead of controlling a single character, you control anything from a single Ultralisk or Queen to a brood of Zerglings. You actually play as an Overlord, controlling these simple creatures with your instinctive psychic abilities. When they die, instead of returning to a spawn point, you return to the hive and spawn a new creature, possibly of a different class. By killing and "questing" (performing tasks for the hive), you unlock additional points and evolution modifers, to spend on making your next creature more potent and lethal. Any chatter can be understood by other players, but appears to Protoss and Terran players as semi-random gibberish and gutteral sounds. A 'clan' of Zerg players could all choose to spawn powered-up Zerglings and rush a Terran encampment together.

"Roleplay" servers would be outright hysterical though, playing as them.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
The tone of the article suggests that the Necro isn't the only character to not make it in. I really want a druid tbh.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
You make it sound like the majority of people who play MMORPGs actually intend to role-play instead of farming up PvP awards and constantly raiding end-game content to stroke their e-peens.

I mean, *I* role-play, but then again I'm one of those hopeless "story > gameplay" crazy people.

But, yes, trying to role-play the Zerg would be like trying to give the Gettysburg Address after being shot in the throat by a sniper.

T.H.O.R

Jun 24, 2008
I just wonder how long it will be before they announce the other 3 classes that made it. They obviously know which ones they are.

I for one would like to play a male-amazon, or perhaps I'll just stick to paladin.

Druid please? I want to kick some ass as a Werewolf again...

I mean - Diablo 2 started with 5. And then 2 more with expansions /shrug

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
T.H.O.R post=7.68301.624443 said:
I just wonder how long it will be before they announce the other 3 classes that made it. They obviously know which ones they are.

I for one would like to play a male-amazon, or perhaps I'll just stick to paladin.

Druid please? I want to kick some ass as a Werewolf again...

I mean - Diablo 2 started with 5. And then 2 more with expansions /shrug
A...male...amazon? That makes no sense? Although, I think I read in the Diablo 2 manual, that there are technically male amazons, but that they mostly become doctors or politicians and aren't part of the warrior castes or something in Amazon society.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I think it's great that Blizzard created classes that are so memorable that we all want to relive the experience on a greater game engine, but at the same time, they've already been done. I'm really excited to see what new gameplay elements will be offered by a new approach, hopefully, to creating and controlling a character. I was actually a little let down to see the barbarian come back. Not because I didn't enjoy the natural resist and the ww, but because he's old hat. I guess every game needs a bloodthirsty tank though...

Exciting too that this will be the end of the traditional Diablo story because it leaves the possibility open for different focal points. Maybe a dip into the story arc preceding Diablo's invasion, allowing you to play in the ethereal realms of Tyrael? Or during the heyday of the Zakarum or Horadrim? Amazing that we're already excited for what's next, when III hasn't even been given a release date.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist post=7.68301.624437 said:
I want to see people try and roleplay the Zerg. It'll be hilarious.
You make it sound like the majority of people who play MMORPGs actually intend to role-play instead of farming up PvP awards and constantly raiding end-game content to stroke their e-peens.

I mean, *I* role-play, but then again I'm one of those hopeless "story > gameplay" crazy people.

But, yes, trying to role-play the Zerg would be like trying to give the Gettysburg Address after being shot in the throat by a sniper.
I don't think that, really. In my experience with MMORPGs, most people want to sell you one of their "rare" items at a greatly inflated price. About 10% of the group actually gives RPing a shot. But I'm saying there are people who attempt to RP the hell out of something that just can't be done. Also, I'm pointing out how unfit for an MMO StarCraft would be.

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
HobbesMkii post=7.68301.624774 said:
BlueInkAlchemist post=7.68301.624437 said:
I want to see people try and roleplay the Zerg. It'll be hilarious.
*big quote*
M-m, Blizzard did intend to make World of Starcraft, but it was sadly never released. That and Starcraft: Ghost are my biggest disappointments in Blizzard.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Damn, no necro? That's my favorite class of the entire series, I love summoning and pet type classes. Wonder what other classes might have gotten the axe.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I'm glad to se Blizzard is trying to remake the game from the ground up and not just release it with new graphics.

Besides, the new Barb makes up for anything they could ever do.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Why not have it be the end of Diablo?

A complete trilogy is good, just make a new franchise with similar elements... it'll still sell like crazy, it's a blizzard title.