Diablo III Looked Heavenly in 2005

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Interesting. Makes me wonder if they decided that this version of Diablo 3 couldn't compete with the pre-release screen shots they saw of Titan Quest (which released in 2006).

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Oh hey, only three colors and tons of health potions. Just what the Diablo fanbabies wanted!
Because people who are fans of the original games and have been waiting almost 11 years for a true sequel are obviously unreasonable cry babies, and we all know when a series dramatically changes direction and art style it always works out wonderfully.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Uszi said:
Doesn't this bright outdoor environment from Grim Dawn look exactly like this one?
It has less marshmellows on it. And pastels. Pastels are great. I used to draw on walls with them as a kid.

The rainbow is a nice touch. It gives off warm, fuzzy feeling.
Joe Deadman said:
Can't believe noone has posted this yet:
Lol, those pennyarcade boys are really on smething.
Joe Deadman said:
Seriously people the art designer guy even said they tried playing with darker graphics and it sucked because you couldn't tell where any thing/one was.
Ah yeah, I know how that feels. On the old days, when graphics where so bad you had to be on drugs to enjoy them, Diablo II was a real pain in the ass to play. It took me hours to get past thru the jungle temple's catacombs. I kept running into enemies. Those monkies kept blending in the background! And finding the staircases was just horrible. I couldnt tell the difference between normal floor, trash, figs and waypoints at all! Thank god all those details are blanded now. I used to get scared by those hideous figures. Saw something moving on the corner of my screen and the lighting was never enough to make sure what it was...or was it there at all. :s

These rave lights and blur should make it much more enjoyable and tripping now. I hope the koreans take this one better than SC2.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
fundayz said:
Aylaine said:
I prefer it the way it looks now. Those screen shots remind me of NeverWinter Nights, which makes me cringe. x.x;
That was also pre-pre-alpha in 2005. Imagine what it would have looked like if would've had another 6(and counting) years of development and polish.

The fact is that they already had a game with the classic style yet decided to scrap it the same year as WoW really started picking up, and replaced it with a much more WoW-looking Diablo.
Even though it is denied by Blizzard, this information further supports the idea that Blizzard changed the Diablo style to appeal to the WoW crowd.

This isn't a bad move company-wise, but it shows where their loyalty lies (not in their own classic franchises apparently).
A company telling you "no we aren't doing what we did in WoW" doesn't support anything in saying that they are doing the same thing they're doing in WoW. You're really reaching here.

On topic:

I'm more interested in the new version, the old one looks outdated at this day and age.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Uszi said:
Believe it or not, a creature being humanoid pretty much dictates the muscular structure of it. Hence, the bear having man-like muscles. Given that they're going to be used for bear-handedly (Get it?) bashing people's faces in, those muscles better be big.

The muscles could've been less visible due to the fur, but frankly, I like this look more than Werebear would have to look with more of it - less a man, more a bear.

The video I can't watch because "This video contains content from Sonic Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." so maybe there's some hilarity I'm missing, but after specifically searching for the animation, I have to say it looks a little wonky, but fine. Would look weirder, frankly, if the bear form ran the same way the human form did.

And I'm not even sure you grasp what cheesy even means. It's basically "trying too hard". This isn't trying anything, it's just a shapeshifting form for a shapeshifting class. It's not overdesigned, it's not anything out of what you'd expect from Diablo 2.

I'm waiting for Diablo 3, by the way, in fact it's one of my most wanted games this year, so don't think of me as some random hater.
Well, if we want to actually discuss semantics, it's not clear that you grasp what Cheesy means, either.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheesy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheesy
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/cheesy

It does not mean "trying too hard." It means cheap, shoddy, of low quality, corny, hockey, or gimmicky. It appears you have your own definition of the word, which is fine. Excuse me, though, if I didn't grasp your private definition of the word.

I would say that the werebear still qualifies as Cheese due it's general corniness.

Other examples of Cheese in Diablo 2: The Amazon's Tits.

Do they strike you as slightly over designed or trying too hard, or inaccurate, as was argued earlier?

I would think that they are. Especially because huge tits would make the use of a bow and arrow particularly difficult.

Finally, I'm not saying your a hater at all! The challenge was, "Find something cheesy in D2!" And my response is: Werebears and Amazon boobage.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Gotta say, I like the originals better.

What I really don't like about the new style is just how abstract it looks. I don't like the "colored glow from nowhere" lighting. I also don't like the "random pieces of architecture floating in some kind of void" level design. I mean, look at some of those screenshots for the new style and try to figure out what they're supposed to be. Is that an underground dungeon? Is it in a giant cavern? An outdoor castle?

There's no grounding to any of it.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Tinfoil hat time? Are you fucking serious? Blizzard is notorious for developing graphically non-demanding games. Where do the tin foil hats come in?
The tinfoil hats come in when you say "The REAL reason for X is Y" because it laughs in the face of contrary evidence. What non-anecdotal evidence do you have to support that they want it to be able to play on 7 y/o computers? It's tinfoil hat time, because your reason is out of the blue. On the other hand, there is evidence straight from the mouth of the creators that suggests that that is not the reason, so clinging to your own argument in the face of hard facts is very silly to me. You can have your own opinion, but at least let it be based on hard evidence.

If you meant the two articles posted by fabulocco, neither of them offer anything more than bullshit and PR speak.
And what about them is bullshit exactly? The fact that they have a differing opinion than yours?

Hell, Grim Dawn is something I've never seen from a studio I've never even heard that looks miles ahead of Diablo 3.
Again, I fail to see how the new screenshots look bad, besides having a larger palate. They have smoother edges, less choppy, more atmospheric, and a higher polygon count.

After reading your edit, I'm convinced you're deranged. Again, you're telling me it's unreasonable to expect more advanced graphics from - literally - the most well funded developer in the world that has been doing fuck all with its money development wise, in 2011, than the graphics of a game in 2006?

Furthermore, your comment about the art style is both ignorant and stupid, whether or not that's purposeful, I don't know. People have mentioned more than a few times the things that differ from D2 to D3, you don't appear to have read it. I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with flashing pictures of dead children, more like creating an atmosphere.
First of all, I'd refrain from personal attacks, because quite frankly, they do wonders to take away the legitimacy of your argument.

Second of all, I suggest you re-read my argument. Never have I said that it was unreasonable to expect more advanced graphics. I said that the graphics look pretty good, and a whole lot smoother than the earlier iteration.

Third of all, I'd say that dead babies would definitely create an atmosphere of dark and grittiness. ;)

And again with the idiotic fallacy. No, not developing games does not render one's opinion invalid.
I never said it rendered your opinion invalid, I said I think someone who develops games knows a little more about what they're talking about in terms of "What is good for gameplay, what isn't" than someone who doesn't. You're trying to put dichotomies in my argument that simply aren't there.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Popido said:
Void(null) said:
Doesn't this bright outdoor environment from Grim Dawn look exactly like this one?
It has less marshmellows on it. And pastels. Pastels are great. I used to draw on walls with them as a kid.
I never said that... at all. You put someone elses quote (Uszi) with my name. Please correct it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Void(null) said:
John Funk said:
Oh hey, only three colors and tons of health potions. Just what the Diablo fanbabies wanted!
Because people who are fans of the original games and have been waiting almost 11 years for a true sequel are obviously unreasonable cry babies, and we all know when a series dramatically changes direction and art style it always works out wonderfully.

Counterpoint: TF2.

I've played D3. It plays like a smoother, more modern D2. It is every bit a "true sequel," it looks fantastic in motion, and it is still wonderfully atmospheric.

I did some work with one of the original D2 artists at Blizzard North, who was instrumental in setting the color palette for D2, and he agrees that there was way more color in that game than the complainers give it credit for. Do you remember those spell effects? How about the bright neon red and blue demons?

The original set of screenshots looks almost exactly like D2 to me. That's not a sequel, that's practically the same game.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
John Funk said:
I've played D3.
And this is where everyone who is complaining needs to stop. None of the people who complain have played the game. All complaints I have seen are based off of screenshots and nothing more than that.

It seems to me that people just have to have something to complain about anymore. No one can just be happy that this game they've waited eleven years for is now being released. It sickens me that, after eleven years of trying to make this game perfect for their community, Blizzard still gets bashed to hell.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gxas said:
John Funk said:
I've played D3.
And this is where everyone who is complaining needs to stop. None of the people who complain have played the game. All complaints I have seen are based off of screenshots and nothing more than that.

It seems to me that people just have to have something to complain about anymore. No one can just be happy that this game they've waited eleven years for is now being released. It sickens me that, after eleven years of trying to make this game perfect for their community, Blizzard still gets bashed to hell.
Yeah, if you actually play the game, it's remarkably gruesome and gory - there's something honestly disturbing about seeing giant gluttonous fleshbeasts dissolving into parasitic worms, and you can drop spike traps on cultists, etc.

Also, re: the whole "fog of war" thing, there IS something sort of like that - you can't see anything around a corner until you, well, look around the corner. So there's still that apprehension of "I don't know what's over there," it's just not built into the art style. It works very well with classes like the Demon Hunter who are based on preparation and traps and stuff; you lay your traps before checking around corners to be safe.

It's almost like we did an interview about the art and design of D3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/8291-BlizzCon-2010-The-Art-and-Design-of-Diablo-III] or something...

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Void(null) said:
John Funk said:

Counterpoint: TF2.

I've played D3. It plays like a smoother, more modern D2. It is every bit a "true sequel," it looks fantastic in motion, and it is still wonderfully atmospheric.

I did some work with one of the original D2 artists at Blizzard North, who was instrumental in setting the color palette for D2, and he agrees that there was way more color in that game than the complainers give it credit for. Do you remember those spell effects? How about the bright neon red and blue demons?

The original set of screenshots looks almost exactly like D2 to me. That's not a sequel, that's practically the same game.
Sadly I think Hat Fortress 2 no longer serves as a great example of a good game. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light would work, but even then aesthetically its the same as its always been its just a change of perspective.

Yes Diablo 2 had a ton of color and its unfair for anyone to criticize based on the size of the color pallet, however the use of that color palette is a different matter. Its not the choice of colors I dislike but rather the use of colors. Every map has a color film over it like you are viewing the world through a lighting gel. Its that blurry hazy light that's trying to compensate for the lack of texture detail, which I know thats exactly what its doing so it erks me.

I will hold final judgment until I have played the entire game from start to finish, but as of right now from the info Bliz have released on their website, I can say that for the moment I dislike the art style. I'm sure under the hood its still Diablo in all its glory and plays wonderfully, but I look at those shots and think to myself "Where is the horror?"

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Void(null) said:
Oh hey, at one point it looked like a Diablo Game instead of Isometric WoW.
You sir have taken this exact sentence straight from my mouth. No joke, word for word right here.

It's actually quite sad to see that it once did look like the Diablo game that the fans were waiting for rather than trying to appeal to the new WoW crowd.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Popido said:
Ah yeah, I know how that feels. On the old days, when graphics where so bad you had to be on drugs to enjoy them, Diablo II was a real pain in the ass to play. It took me hours to get past thru the jungle temple's catacombs. I kept running into enemies. Those monkies kept blending in the background! And finding the staircases was just horrible. I couldnt tell the difference between normal floor, trash, figs and waypoints at all! Thank god all those details are blanded now. I used to get scared by those hideous figures. Saw something moving on the corner of my screen and the lighting was never enough to make sure what it was...or was it there at all. :s

These rave lights and blur should make it much more enjoyable and tripping now. I hope the koreans take this one better than SC2.
Good thing those monkies wore those lovely green skirts and liked shouting at me.
As for the waypoints where would we be without the map showing them when in range and those lovely torches and glowing effects when activated?

The map really saved my ass with those stairs as well, too bad I couldn't see much of the game between the map and all the text helping me to distinguish where/what the loot was. Man I wish someone would brighten up some of this stuff!

As for raves? Yeah the paladin from diablo 2 must have been a hit at those with those shiny balls he liked throwing around, not to speak of the sorceress and her lightning. For raves though nothing quite beat those packed tunnels with the lightning bugs out in that nice bright desert!

I don't really have much experience in this so I guess I better leave the art direction to Blizzard.
I mean they implement and test this stuff right?

But I guess i'm on drugs since i've been playing diablo 2 recently so I don't know :p (funnily enough i'm actually at the jungle section now... woah (also sorry if this all seems a bit over the top)).

Really though I think all judgments should probably be held until the game has actually been played. I doubt they could really turn around and take another direction with the art even if they wanted to at this point so I guess all this arguing is all moot (unless we all want to wait a year or two more).

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Void(null) said:
Popido said:
Uszi said:
I never said that... at all. You put someone elses quote (Uszi) with my name. Please correct it.
Whops. My apologizes. I did have some malfunction with them while previewing. ^.^;

Joe Deadman said:
Aye, will see. Though its probably already too late to give them "judgement" at this point, I cant care not stop being pissed about this art choice. Its not sharp or edgy enough. You could replace all the demons with Pokemons and they would fit perfectly.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Popido said:
Void(null) said:
Popido said:
Uszi said:
Whops. My apologizes. I did have some malfunction with them while previewing. ^.^;
Quite alright, the way these forums handle multi-quoteing can get messy at times. I have nearly done it myself on several occasions.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
I have never understood those who whine over the fucking color palette of D3. It is as though you people believe that just because Blizzard has added some lighter hues, all of the grimdark which permeated most of the previous games is gone forever.

Here is the tip of the day: Reserve judgment until you've played it, and trust in the talents of one of the greatest game studios which has ever existed.