Diablo III Looked Heavenly in 2005

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Void(null) said:
Aeshi said:
Because god forbid Blizzard want to actually make sure the game is completely polished before they release it instead of churning out some barely-tested piece of crap.

Also what's with the colour scheme hate? has it become a crime to make a game with a colour selection that goes above 100,100,100?
People do not have a problem with the number of colors used, people have a problem with the palette of colors used.

As was linked above:

Shows a higher variation in shades and more dynamic use of color while maintaining the old aesthetic style of the original Diablo games.

Diablo 3 looks blurry and washed out, with a color filter tinting the ambient light for the entire scene which makes it look drab and flat,
My numbers referred to the RGB value of the colours (as in, what do people have against bright colours.), not the amount of colours used.

Plus I'd personally take "Drab and Flat" over "Have I gone partially colourblind?"

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Being someone who actually hasn't played the Diablo games, I think the new screens look nice. I have plenty of friends who tell me I need to play this when it comes out, I am not sure. Kinda looks Neverwinter Nights-ish and I didn't really enjoy it.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Again, I have to chuckle at people who think they know better than professionals who have been in the business for twenty years, and who have had multiple ultra-successful titles.

Trust them, folks: they've proven that they know what they're doing when it comes to making games. Perhaps YOU may not like what they come out with, but... well, that leads us to my second point-- subjectivity.

The biggest problem with people today is that they fail to understand the subjective nature of their observations. To wit: Mr. 'Necromancer' up there, with his "Necromancer's Choice" and "WoW gayness" screenshots.

I hate to break it to the guy, but he's not on the design team, so the only choice he gets to make is whether or not to buy the game. If he wants to go a step further, he can post a review, or try to convince his friends to also not buy the game, or even maybe make his own game that lives up to his specifications... but as a single consumer (or even a block of them), he simply doesn't have the authority to dictate what is 'wrong' and what is 'right' about a game that he has nothing to do with.

No, I'm sorry: you may feel like the Internet empowers you to spew your beliefs far and wide, but the truth is that some dude on 4Chan doesn't have the authority to tell me that the color scheme sucks, any more than I have the authority to tell him that the new color scheme is perfect and he's just a whiny nerd. He can tell me why he thinks it sucks, and I can honestly respond that I like it, because the whole 'drab Gothic adventure' setting has been done to death. But in the end, neither of us have the true authority to make a definitive statement.

My suggestion is to just chill out and stop with all the bickering. There are much more important things in life to get wound up about.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I'D STILL PLAY IT

But I'm glad they postponed it. I'd rather get something awesome than a half-assed game made just to get some quick cash.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Aeshi said:
My numbers referred to the RGB value of the colours (as in, what do people have against bright colours.), not the amount of colours used.

Plus I'd personally take "Drab and Flat" over "Have I gone partially colourblind?"
Its a dark and gritty game about demons, dark lords, mass murder, ritual suicide and the end of the world... and it looks like Hello Kitty threw up over My Little Pony? Its entirely the wrong atmosphere for its subject matter.

Will it sell like hotcakes? Absolutely. But then Bobby Kotick could quite literally shit in a Box, slap blizzards name on it and still make billions of dollars.

The problem is not a matter of aesthetic choice or what looks better, the true problem is one of old school fans feeling the title does match that of its legacy. I liked my dark and gothic horror Diablo, and so did many others. Will people still buy it? Its fucking Diablo 3, of course people will buy it, even the disillusioned old school hardcore crowd... but so far it just doesn't "feel" like Diablo.

fabulocco

Nov 9, 2009
fundayz said:
fabulocco said:
Oh my god, people... Not this again.

This effin graphics discussion is driving me insane already. Read this, for god`s sake.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/31/diablo-iii-designer-talks-colors/
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/04/diablo-iii-designer-turns-tables/
Yes, it's past fixing. But that second article is complete BS by the developers. Most of their argument is "The characters and monsters don't pop out enough"; well no shit, the fans altering the screenshots have done a screen wide hue change. As devs they could easily apply those hue changes only to the environment while leaving the monsters and characters alone, or altering them in a way that makes them more visible(such as higher saturation).

No, you cannot state something "is easy to do". Unless you are involved in the making process, such technical statement is absolutely beyond your reach, even if it "sounds" easy. If the Dev himself said, for exemple that the fog was not working, i'll believe his statement over any other.

Also, personal taste should not factor on such things, they are making this game for millions of people.

fundayz said:
fabulocco said:
These fan images show just that someone with free time that knows how to use hue/saturation and curves on photoshop thinks they know anything about art direction and game design. please, take no offense, but this is ridiculous.
You are missing the point. It's not about art direction, it's about staying true to a franchise.
The new art style is most definitely not true to the Diablo games.
It IS about art direction, that people are stating is bad, when really, it is not, it's made to be atmospheric AND functional, it must be really hard to balance those things out.

People are evaluating a half finished product, that they have not yet played, that honestly is really not THAT distant from the original, from where i see. If the discrepance was on X-Con level, I could understand, and even then I will still try not ***** about it until i see up close what they have done. If it's bad, well, sorry for them.

And really, do you honestly think that they have been working on this for five years to deliver a crappy product that will give people a bad experience? I sincerely hope not.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Aylaine said:
I prefer it the way it looks now....
I would have to agree.

The old version looks more like the generic, brown, gritty realistic experience you can get anywhere else.

Whereas I think the new style has greater readability and emotional impact now. It is also gelling more with what Blizzard is now attempting to define as the "Blizzard Look." The same criticisms of SC2's art style were made of D3, and I'm sure Blizzard is going the way they are going for a reason.

In addition, you people are aware that in response to the criticism blizzard did tone the color pallette down slightly? All of the "WoW Gayness" shots are from the first reveal.

More recent shots are a little more brown and boring for all of you exciting people out there:

Slycne said:
Angerwing said:
They'd show you dark, gritty and intense. Now we're getting "Tuckahoe Fun Land, the magic factory where dreams are made."

EXACTLY!
I like how people use the first few screen shots released to try and confirm their point, and ignore all of the other more recent screen shots.

That's the way Creationists argue people. It's called a confirmation bias, people. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias] Let's begin reasoning better than 4 year olds and religious fundamentalists.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Void(null) said:
Aeshi said:

Its a dark and gritty game about demons, dark lords, mass murder, ritual suicide and the end of the world... and it looks like Hello Kitty threw up over My Little Pony? Its entirely the wrong atmosphere for its subject matter.
In the first and second games that worked due to the world's corruption by Prime Evils, Diablo III takes place several decades later and the world would have had time to heal/rebuild since then, that it would be slightly less corrupted makes sense.

I do know how you feel though, I've experienced similar (admittedly with the "gritty" and "colorful" switched around) when I played UT3.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
ciortas1 said:
KEM10 said:
Maybe you want to read my post again.
I'm sorry, but what, in the arsenal of the rogue and the amazon could possibly have been anywhere near as cheesy and overblown as two automatically reloading uzi crossbows that can shoot like shotguns in combination with high heels?
The challenge still stands.

Also, what you see is different from reality. Diablo 3 is dripping with cheese. Diablo 2 is not.
Werebear
A druid skill that transforms the player into a bear with Biceps, Pecs and Washboard abs:

When he runs around, he swings his arms in a cartoony fashion. You can almost here the Yogi bear theme song as you comically slap them in the face with your bear paws:

My favorite skill in the game.
And pure fucking cheese.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
fabulocco said:
No, you cannot state something "is easy to do". Unless you are involved in the making process, such technical statement is absolutely beyond your reach, even if it "sounds" easy. If the Dev himself said, for exemple that the fog was not working, i'll believe his statement over any other.
No it IS easy to do. Textures are independent of each other. Changing the hue on the textures for the environment does not affect the hue of character/mob texture. Heck, thousands of WoW players already modify textures and that's without any of the tools developers have available.

Also, check your reading comprehension. The dev NEVER said that the fog wasn't working. He said fog like in the modified screenshot requires too much computing power; he is right, the shadows in that screenshot would be hard to implement, but that doesn't mean more simple fogs wouldn't do the trick.

fabulocco said:
It IS about art direction, that people are stating is bad, when really, it is not, it's made to be atmospheric AND functional, it must be really hard to balance those things out.
Nobody has ever said that the art style is bad. They are saying it's bad FOR A DIABLO GAME. And if it atmosphere and functionality are so hard to balance how come they've been able to do it great before?

fabulocco said:
And really, do you honestly think that they have been working on this for five years to deliver a crappy product that will give people a bad experience? I sincerely hope not.
Again, you are missing the point. Nobody worth listening to is saying D3 will be a bad game because of it's new art style. What people are complaining about is that D3 doesn't really feel like a Diablo game.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Aeshi said:
Void(null) said:
Aeshi said:

In the first and second games that worked due to the world's corruption by Prime Evils, Diablo III takes place several decades later and the world would have had time to heal/rebuild since then, that it would be slightly less corrupted makes sense.

I do know how you feel though, I've experienced similar (admittedly with the "gritty" and "colorful" switched around) when I played UT3.
Blizzard said that they want the game start more colorful then get darker and darker to get a sense of "it is only getting worse as the story goes on". That is why people are only complaining about early screen shot. None of them post any later ones.

Shadeovblack

Jul 4, 2009
Aylaine said:
I prefer it the way it looks now. Those screen shots remind me of NeverWinter Nights, which makes me cringe. x.x;

I prefer it the way it looked before. Those screenshots remind me of NeverWinter Nights, which makes Me Squee! :D

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Aeshi said:
UT3 was an abomination and you will never speak of it again.

I miss my old fast and colorful frag fest. :(