Diablo III Looked Heavenly in 2005

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
fundayz said:
cthulhumythos said:
Way to miss the point. It's not about making it dark for the sake of looking dark, it's about staying true to the art style, atmosphere, and tone of the franchise.
eh, whatever. game looks fine to me.
which, personally, is really all that matters.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ciortas1 said:
008Zulu said:
Looks as if D3 is an isometric version of Dragon Age. The human eye can distinguish 16.7 million colours, lets see another besides brown. Also, can we see another filter apart from "murky" and/or "dreary"?

Dark & Gritty have been done, to death.
No colours other than brown? Have you played D2? And if you're talking about this game, are you high?

And no, the style hasn't been done to death, considering the last (good) game to do that in the genre was Diablo 2, 11 years ago if we count the expansion, even ignoring the fact that you're trying to justify its art style jump in such a petty manner.
Apparently you havent played Dragon Age, Gears of War, GTA4, Fallout 3 or Fallout NV. All these make excessive use of the Brown filter.

Also, you may notice that I said D3, not D2

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ciortas1 said:
008Zulu said:
All you're doing is dropping names of popular games here. Games that are not related to D3 in neither the genre nor the art style. What point are you trying to make?

And if you so much as imply D3 is lacking colours, I must refer to what I said before - you're high. Either that, half-blind or simply daft.
Ok, it seems I will have to spell it out, sorry I didn't make it simple for you.

D3 as it is right now is mimicking the art styles of the afore mentioned famous games. The same washed out tones that permeates the terrain, the same flat colours that are used to decorate the different characters and models and the same drab full screen filter producers use to hide the corners they cut.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Damn it, damn it, damn it. More %*!#$ing cartoony shit graphics designed to appeal to pussies rather than classic dark, Gothic, stormy and dreary landscapes painting an accurate picture of a demon infested world as you and a few lone heroes attempt to defeat the source of evil and restore order to the very world.

I will never, EVER forget the night I first played Diablo II and found myself immersed in the dark and brooding Rogue Encampment...the music, the sounds--by purest of fates my window was open and the smell of rain overloaded my senses; it was beautiful...
And the summer days spent with a sandwich and tea, wandering the town of Lut Gholien, the music and sandstone ambiance filling my mind even while the setting sun shown upon me in reality...

Honestly, the early 2000s were when I first got into video gaming, because of the sheer creativity. Diablo II, a dark masterpiece, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, an epic adventure with a classic story, also bordering on the dark. Duke Nukem, still kicking ass and chewing bubblegum as we watched and cheered "go man go!"

And today. Now everything is a Modern Warfare 2 clone or bright-colored ugly-as-sin cartoony graphics display of sick, with over angsty characters, ridiculous storylines, and Hans Zimmer being duped into composing for me. Hans, you're too good for them! Release a personal album containing these soundtracks, but stop putting them in such terrible games!

Honestly can't wait for Duke to break down the door saying "The King is back, baby!" Even if the gameplay is of average first person shooter style, AT LEAST IT DOESN'T TAKE ITSELF SO SERIOUSLY. It's not trying to be Modern Warfare, and it's not trying to be that silly Bulletstorm game. This is Duke holding out a hand and saying, "for the good times!"

Hrrum. Think I went off topic, and my coffee's been done a good ten minutes now. But in short, if Diablo III were as is in those monotone screenshots, I'd buy it. As it is, it's just a colorful adventure for all the folks lining up to prostitute themselves to Blizzard-Activision's marketing department.

(Note that I say Blizzard-Activision. I know that somewhere, lodged uncomfortably in a random place of that company's heart, Blizzard is still there, struggling to extend its control to some part of the games themselves. Don't give in to the dark side! You shall emerge once more in all your former glory! Hopefully.)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ciortas1 said:
It's not mimicking the art styles of the aforementioned games in the slightest, unless you mean having included the same colour another game has passes for mimicking it. If anything, it's mimicking WoW's art style, and it's pretty obvious why - because the WoW art lead is working on D3; and because they indeed are cutting corners everywhere possible to try and get the game to run on the shittiest of PCs. It has nothing in common with GTA 4, it has absolutely nothing to do with Gears of War, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and hardly anything with Dragon Age as far as the art style is concerned. You're always free to bring up screens of the games and show me just how wrong I am, though.
What I was pointing out originally and subsequently, was that it uses the same muted art style of other mainstream popular games. If you use Red, then make it Red, not Dried Blood Red.

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
UnderCoverGuest said:
Damn it, damn it, damn it. More %*!#$ing cartoony shit graphics designed to appeal to pussies rather than classic dark, Gothic, stormy and dreary landscapes painting an accurate picture of a demon infested world as you and a few lone heroes attempt to defeat the source of evil and restore order to the very world.

I will never, EVER forget the night I first played Diablo II and found myself immersed in the dark and brooding Rogue Encampment...the music, the sounds--by purest of fates my window was open and the smell of rain overloaded my senses; it was beautiful...
And the summer days spent with a sandwich and tea, wandering the town of Lut Gholien, the music and sandstone ambiance filling my mind even while the setting sun shown upon me in reality...

Honestly, the early 2000s were when I first got into video gaming, because of the sheer creativity. Diablo II, a dark masterpiece, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, an epic adventure with a classic story, also bordering on the dark. Duke Nukem, still kicking ass and chewing bubblegum as we watched and cheered "go man go!"

And today. Now everything is a Modern Warfare 2 clone or bright-colored ugly-as-sin cartoony graphics display of sick, with over angsty characters, ridiculous storylines, and Hans Zimmer being duped into composing for me. Hans, you're too good for them! Release a personal album containing these soundtracks, but stop putting them in such terrible games!

Honestly can't wait for Duke to break down the door saying "The King is back, baby!" Even if the gameplay is of average first person shooter style, AT LEAST IT DOESN'T TAKE ITSELF SO SERIOUSLY. It's not trying to be Modern Warfare, and it's not trying to be that silly Bulletstorm game. This is Duke holding out a hand and saying, "for the good times!"

Hrrum. Think I went off topic, and my coffee's been done a good ten minutes now. But in short, if Diablo III were as is in those monotone screenshots, I'd buy it. As it is, it's just a colorful adventure for all the folks lining up to prostitute themselves to Blizzard-Activision's marketing department.

(Note that I say Blizzard-Activision. I know that somewhere, lodged uncomfortably in a random place of that company's heart, Blizzard is still there, struggling to extend its control to some part of the games themselves. Don't give in to the dark side! You shall emerge once more in all your former glory! Hopefully.)
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'll be honest, those screenshots look like a heavily modded Diablo 2 more than any new game.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Guys can we please, PLEASE, let this drop. Yes Diablo 3 does not look like Diablo 1 and 2. And it's style is similar to WoW. This is OLD news. Like BlizzCon 2007 old. You don't have to like it but unless you have something new to add this is not accomplishing anything.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Ickorus said:
I'll be honest, those screenshots look like a heavily modded Diablo 2 more than any new game.
Yea, that tends to be the way new games start out. It's really common to see graphics from older games being used as placeholders in newer games while the developers are working certain details out and deciding what to use and not to use.

There are early screenshots from Tiberian Sun that have old C&C graphics in place as place holders. These early screenshots are from 2005 before they scrapped everything they had and apparently put the project on hold for a while.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
As hyped as I was about this game... I find my enthusiasm waning considerably.

I new there was going to be a D3 as soon as I finished Lord of Destruction. And after waiting this long... I think I'll give it a pass, at least initially.