Diablo III Might Show Up on Consoles

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Amnestic said:
rated pg said:
Mr LS said:
No thank you.
I want my perfect PC Diablo 3. The console owners can have their dumbed down versions afterwards.
So much wrong with that quote, since a) it probably won't be perfect, b) who's to say the console version will be late, especially since Blizz has no release date for the PC version, and c) it wouldn't necessarily be dumbed down. I think the controls could actually work BETTER on a console for this style of game, as seen in such classics as the Baldur's Gate console games.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Those games were freaking terrible.

Unless they add Keyboard+Mouse compatability, then the Console release will be dumbed down. There's no too ways about it. The keyboard+mouse offer so much more hotkey opportunities and menu navigation than a gamepad ever could.
Anyone else remeber diablo 1 for playstation? It worked..... kinda. It just works better on the PC (where it belongs) and I really hope blizz dosent waste time with this.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Croaker42 said:
Amnestic said:
rated pg said:
Mr LS said:
No thank you.
I want my perfect PC Diablo 3. The console owners can have their dumbed down versions afterwards.
So much wrong with that quote, since a) it probably won't be perfect, b) who's to say the console version will be late, especially since Blizz has no release date for the PC version, and c) it wouldn't necessarily be dumbed down. I think the controls could actually work BETTER on a console for this style of game, as seen in such classics as the Baldur's Gate console games.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Those games were freaking terrible.

Unless they add Keyboard+Mouse compatability, then the Console release will be dumbed down. There's no too ways about it. The keyboard+mouse offer so much more hotkey opportunities and menu navigation than a gamepad ever could.
Anyone else remeber diablo 1 for playstation? It worked..... kinda. It just works better on the PC (where it belongs) and I really hope blizz dosent waste time with this.
You know what? This is the perfect opportunity for consoles to have more games with mouse+keyboard support. That way Blizz don't have to change anything between the PC and the console version and it paves the way for more developers to take note. Maybe then the RTS scene on consoles won't be so goddamn dire and can stop relying on gimmicks like voice control which don't seem to work for some people and make the game unplayable.

Yes, I'm looking at you Tom Clancy's Endwar. If you're going to centre your game around a gimmick and it doesn't work for everyone then you've dropped the ball.

I'd be fine with a D3 port to consoles with M+K support. It's the idea that they'll port it with only gamepad compatability that I worry about, because that will end up with a dumbed down version and that'll either cause a backlash from console players for giving the PC preferential treatment or they'll have to dumb down the PC version as well which'll give an equal backlash from the (likely far larger) PC playerbase for having depreciated the game's quality to make it work on consoles.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
This isn't a problem. All they have to do is compromise the design of the game until it is playable on a console and add giant UI elements that don't respond to mouse clicks.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
If anyone can make it happen, it would probably be them, I will definitely look into it if they make it happen.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
redmarine said:
I hope Blizzard means making keyboard and mices compatible with the consoles or else they can just scratch the whole thing.
they will probalbly make it play out like Champions of Norrath, the graphics kinda say the same thing, however the last time Blizzard tried to release a game for consoles it never came out (Starcraft: Ghost)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Okay, PC gamers. Lets get ready to....................................................SIGN PETITIONS.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Amnestic said:
You know what? This is the perfect opportunity for consoles to have more games with mouse+keyboard support. That way Blizz don't have to change anything between the PC and the console version and it paves the way for more developers to take note. Maybe then the RTS scene on consoles won't be so goddamn dire and can stop relying on gimmicks like voice control which don't seem to work for some people and make the game unplayable.

Yes, I'm looking at you Tom Clancy's Endwar. If you're going to centre your game around a gimmick and it doesn't work for everyone then you've dropped the ball.

I'd be fine with a D3 port to consoles with M+K support. It's the idea that they'll port it with only gamepad compatability that I worry about, because that will end up with a dumbed down version and that'll either cause a backlash from console players for giving the PC preferential treatment or they'll have to dumb down the PC version as well which'll give an equal backlash from the (likely far larger) PC playerbase for having depreciated the game's quality to make it work on consoles.
Hate to break it to you, but a mouse+keyboard interface doesn't work for everyone, and on a console it would be a gimmick. Mouse + keyboard is not an interface designed for games. Most people wouldn't buy them just for one game, and if the game only supports that it would mean they wouldn't buy the game. Might as well just not put the game on the console in the first place if that's the option.

How do you use a mouse on your couch anyway? Any answer which doesn't work for everyone is dropping the ball.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Skizle said:
they will probalbly make it play out like Champions of Norrath, the graphics kinda say the same thing, however the last time Blizzard tried to release a game for consoles it never came out (Starcraft: Ghost)
I thought CoN was an alright game, if they can make it play like that, I'm pretty sure it wont be a problem. At least not for me.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Amnestic said:
The keyboard+mouse offer so much more hotkey opportunities and menu navigation than a gamepad ever could.
But then most decent Diablo builds don't have more than a few active skills anyway, so you don't actually need massive numbers of hotkeys.

I find the mouse interface the biggest hurdle to overcome in actually trying to play Diablo, it's unweildy, unintuitive, and just plain shit for an action game.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
NUUUUUU!!! now the idiots will start playing, do not want :( seriously, i agree unless blizzard changes the gameplay mechanis DRASTICALLY or packages in a cheapo mouse and keyboard, then it will either be shit or not happen.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SharedProphet said:
Hate to break it to you, but a mouse+keyboard interface doesn't work for everyone, and on a console it would be a gimmick. Mouse + keyboard is not an interface designed for games. Most people wouldn't buy them just for one game, and if the game only supports that it would mean they wouldn't buy the game. Might as well just not put the game on the console in the first place if that's the option.

How do you use a mouse on your couch anyway? Any answer which doesn't work for everyone is dropping the ball.
Maybe not, but most every game that's primarily for the PC is designed around a mouse and keyboard and the extra freedom that they give you. Something gamepads still lack.

As for mouse on the sofa, any laser mouse seems to work fine. I can use my £35 Logitech mouse on my leg and still play almost as well as resting it on my desk.

Why are you trying to hold back consoles? PCs currently corner the market for peripherals because they can support both gamepads and M+K, as well as things like joysticks for things like Flight Simulators or Mech simulator games. Encouraging the consoles to cash in on expanding their method of controlling the games will only seek to increase the library of available games, what developers can do with a game for consoles and to help bridge the gap between PC and consoles.

Don't tell me you've never heard the age-old argument that FPS games on the PC are superior to consoles since consoles are limited to their analog sticks whereas the Mouse offers far more precise movements? How is bringing such a thing to consoles a bad thing? I'm a PC gamer primarily but I dabble a fair bit in the other media and I have to say, I don't really see an issue with getting M+K to consoles.

As I stated earlier, the RTS genre is absolutely dire for anything that's not a PC. I'd like to see that change.

GloatingSwine said:
Amnestic said:
The keyboard+mouse offer so much more hotkey opportunities and menu navigation than a gamepad ever could.
But then most decent Diablo builds don't have more than a few active skills anyway, so you don't actually need massive numbers of hotkeys.

I find the mouse interface the biggest hurdle to overcome in actually trying to play Diablo, it's unweildy, unintuitive, and just plain shit for an action game.
I thought the mouse interface worked exceptionally well for Diablo 2, and I found it much more preferable to a setup like you have in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games. We can't just look at this from our standpoint either. Diablo 2 is arguably what garnered the series the most fame and attention and brought players to the franchise, so moving away from the established setup to something entirely different (Mouse->Analog sticks) would only seek to alienate your already well established playerbase. I'm not a businessman by any means, but that seems like a bad plan to me.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Okay, PC gamers. Lets get ready to....................................................SIGN PETITIONS.
Haha You know because it been like a week since the last one...... that didnt really do anything. (Unless people stick to their convictions and dont buy the game.)

But ya their are many reasons this is good and many reasons that this is the greatest fail idea ever. Its all about your perspective (Im a PC). So naturally bad idea. Even though I agree that if blizz did it right they could bring a new level of gaming options to the console crowd by integrating K+M support.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I'm not saying no to console version, but I still wouldn't play it. Lack of mouse might be very damaging to this sort of game: like Barbarian's jump or Whateverclasswillhaveitnow Teleport can be very hard to aim and decide its lenght.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Amnestic said:
Diablo 2 is arguably what garnered the series the most fame and attention and brought players to the franchise, so moving away from the established setup to something entirely different (Mouse->Analog sticks) would only seek to alienate your already well established playerbase. I'm not a businessman by any means, but that seems like a bad plan to me.
How exactly are they gonna alienate their fanbase, by making console versions of the game, I don't get that at all. You talk like it's somehow gonna alter the PC version of the game.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Wow the perceived eliteness of PC gamers makes me ashamed to be one of them.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Nothing wrong with expanding your audience and I don't see anything wrong with it other than crybaby fanboys signing petitions saying to stop it because it will be dumbed down even though they'll still buy it.