Diablo III Patch Prevents Players From Gaining XP

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
A bug that stops you gaining XP but is fixed by changing your password? Oh Blizzard, that is just too funny XD

How do they even do this? Is it intentional? Im glad I am not a fan of Diablo III and while I feel sorry for the fans of the series, I have got to admit that this is a great source of entertainment.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
I wish I was a potential Diablo3 customer instead of a current customer!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate Diablo3, wish I never got excited, wish I never drove to the store, wish I never payed for this load of dog...

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
I have to admit, this is hilarious. Really, this whole Diablo 3 mess is just an absolute joy to watch. And only users with digital copies of the game have this bug? That's like tripping somebody over and kicking them when they're down. First they have to pay $60 for a non-physical version of the game, and then it crashes on them and stops them gaining experience. I mean, this borders on insanity, an insanity I can only laugh at. Blizzard are just trolling us now. You thought the always on DRM was bad? Wait 'til you get a load of our latest patch!

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Wonder how this will all work on the console versions... would it be the same slow process?

Surely Xbox/PS3 consoles would mean less hacking, and more security as its pretty hard to hack a program with an Xbox 360 controller, which means less updates to address security concerns, which means less patch screw ups.

I would like to get Diablo 3 but my PC would die of a heart attack, so im waiting on a (hopeful) console port. Think i might hold off a while though if the console has as many hiccups.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Erm? Seriously?

In the light of the Anders Brevik translation article ...
You AGAIN post a rumor that you couldn't even verify?

Yeah, I see you are improving, learning and all ... /facepalm

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
PingoBlack said:
Erm? Seriously?

In the light of the Anders Brevik translation article ...
You AGAIN post a rumor that you couldn't even verify?

Yeah, I see you are improving, learning and all ... /facepalm
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5883928337

Thread contains a blue post acknowledging the issue exists and suggesting a password reset to fix it. At this stage it's not even a rumour. What exactly is your beef here?

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Thread contains a blue post acknowledging the issue exists and suggesting a password reset to fix it. At this stage it's not even a rumour. What exactly is your beef here?
No beef. I gave up on it all some time ago.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Against my better wisdom, I purchased and started playing Diablo 3 about a week after release. Comparing my experience before patch 1.0.3 to my experience after the patch, I can tell anyone on the fence ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!. The game had its troubles before the patch, but it was possible to overcome those difficulties. However, after the patch, the game has become unplayable.

First, a number of people have had their dps cut nearly in half thanks to the nerfing of increased attack speed. Areas that people could once get through, even with some difficulty, are now impassable due to the inability to do enough damage to kill the monsters.

The next problem is that the ability to farm gold and items has been severely reduced while repair costs have been increased by a factor of 4 (I'm not kidding. That's in the patch notes). The result is that any farming you do is significantly reduced, negated, or even generates a net loss thanks to the obscene repair costs. The only help for this is to simply not die and never get hit (however, you will still have a repair cost because simply using your weapon incurs a repair cost).

However, the most glaring problem is the auction house. Even the crappiest items are being sold for millions of gold. Before the patch, farming a million gold was a lot of work, but it was still doable in a matter of 3-4 days. After the patch, farming a million gold may take a couple weeks of hardcore effort. Now, a million gold may sound like a lot, but compare to crap items being sold for 100-500 million gold. If you figure to forget farming for gold, just use the RMAH, get ready for a shock. Items are priced there from $50-$250 for garbage.

You may think to just farm for drops instead of paying the insane prices, but Blizzard covered that possibility, too. Drops have been reduced to near non-existence compared to the effort. Elites used to drop 2-3 rare items and 3-4 magic items. Now you might get 1 rare item and about 2-3 magic items. Looting from chests and other game objects has been almost completely eliminated, and using magic-find now only works against killed monsters, whereas it used to work against everything in the game. It's no longer possible to use the strategy of killing the dungeon, put on your magic find, and then go looting.

I used to fill up my pack 2-3 times farming items through a dungeon. Now, my pack barely fills up once when farming. Couple this with the insane AH prices and the obscene repair costs for dying (and you WILL die, a lot), and it becomes impossible to make any progress in the game for any humanly reasonable amount of effort, because you can't find gear and you can't get enough income to purchase AH items. You are practically forced to the RMAH to obtain any kind of gear to make any progress, and that is just wrong, in my opinion.

The game is just not worth it. I cannot recommend It to anyone. In it's current state, I rate the game at 2/10 as a best possible score. The entire design of the game is too strongly tied to the RMAH, and there is too much vested interest to force players to use the RMAH. Thank goodness, I, at least, did not buy anyitems from that, because there are a lot of people crying about their real-money purchased weapon now being worthless due to the increase attack speed nerf, and the bug with increased attack speed for legendary weapons (increased attack speed was not being applied) is still not fixed, even though this patch was supposed to fix that (Blizzard has now officially declared the next patch as being the one to fix that).

It's just a scam, and I'm very regretful that I even purchased this game. Just have to take it all as a $60 lesson. Do not let my $60 be in vain, children. Learn from my mistake. Do not buy this game.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Obviously a hyperbolic point for emphasis, thanks for coming out. I honestly hate how people get vilified for criticizing Blizzard on this. This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.
Dead Island and Rage would like to have a word with you*. It's amazing how people are so quick to forget about games that launch in a (literally) unplayable state, then see a game that has very few bugs like D3 and come-up with phrases like "Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game". You seriously sound a complete buffoon who's JUST getting into the gaming industry, but trying to sound as-if he's been around since the beginning.

*And just keep in mind, that's just two examples from the past year, let alone games I could pull-up from the past 10 years if I really wanted to.
1.Rage and Dead Island came out last year.
2.Neither were majorly massive releases, let's be honest.
3.Neither of those games had issues with hackers, or badly thought out DRM. Yes they had bugs but over time were fixed. Neither had something as ill-thought out as the RMAH and the online single player, which will affect D3 for the rest of its cycle rather than patched out.
4.Neither of those 2 games had the expectations to being particularly good before release, unlike D3.

Thanks for coming out.

And oh, I'm sure you could name a list of games that came out in a bad state. So could the average gamer. Difference is its still rare that it happens. For every game you name that came out like crap in any given year, there were literally dozens of other that came out just fine. Don't be thick. We don't live in a world where the majority of games come out non-functional. Realize that before you call anyone a buffoon (nice by the way, not enough people use the word).

Also I'm not trying to sound like a person who's getting into the industry. I'm a person who plays a decent amount of games and a consumer. As such I think I have the right to criticize who I damn well please for screwing up colossally without someone trying to tell me I can't do so.

No one here is saying that no other game company puts out a functionally bad release. YOU'RE assuming that. We know that Rage and Dead Island came out in a crappy condition, we talked about it LAST YEAR.

Then we moved on.

That party's over.

And to be honest the punch that was served was a little sour.

Look my point is that we're criticizing Blizzard now because the release of D3, one of the flagship franchises, has been handled so badly it looks like John McCain's presidential campaign in game form. And as consumer, we're going to give shit to Blizzard so that hopefully they don't fuck up this massively again. I don't see a problem with that, but apparently you do.

Oh, and one more thing:
It's amazing how people are so quick to forget about games that launch in a (literally) unplayable state, then see a game that has very few bugs like D3...
I don't know how what distinctions you draw between "unplayable" and "a few bugs" but Error 37 kinda made D3 unplayable. Lag in single player makes the game not enjoyable and when you get booted out of your single player game because of lag, you're currently NOT playing it, making it temporarily unplayable. Getting your character hack makes that character unplayable. These aren't "a few bugs". These are major fucking problems.

pointless vandalism

Mar 27, 2012
Thank god I was able to get a refund for this POS game. I'm never giving one more dollar to Activision/Blizzard, ever. And I have been playing Blizzard games since Warcraft 1, in 96?

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder just how many people are really having this issue. After reading this I got a little worried, and checked my account. I had no issues what so ever, and neither did my friend. Neither have really run into any glitches when it comes to Diablo 3 yet.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I think I stopped "overhead ARPG" ever since the discovery of Marrowind, and other shooter + RPG/RPGElements... or Action game with lots of RPG elements.. they simply have better contents and you actually get to fight a good fight, rather than mashing clicking sprites on screen (yes, I do realize that this game is full3d... but I still like it when I can feel view the world with a small POV, instead the opposite... overhead fights are like playing polygon wars, Alien Swarms, or games like such... it's detached... I like to have a face to face fight where the enemy will actually individually insult you while fighting "What's the matter? Getting tired?"

Wishlist:
I am waiting for Oni2 with RPG style skill tree-ish system, and multiple kunfu styles to learn as players can pick/choose styles and "equip/mix them" to battle... + gun play/vehicle/meleeweaponkunfu/free-running/openworld?/super power?/boss fight (hope:Donte VS Virgil style; jedi vs jedi; no me vs titan QTE bullshit)... think DFO, but open world, and future, and 3rd person...

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The sad thing is, I knew exactly what this thread was gonna turn into. -_-

Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
...blizzard are you even trying anymore??
Yeah, because no patch ever in the history of gaming has EVER introduced a random unforeseen bug.
RvLeshrac said:
Amnestic said:
Online game gets patch, patch affects something else but is easily fixed.

Truly the greatest outrage of our time. *eyeroll*

Just to get some perspective: Have you guys ever seen an online game which didn't have new bugs come in with a patch? Ever? Can you name even one? How about single player only? Any?
It isn't "easily fixed." I don't just casually wander around changing my 30+ character passwords on a whim. It shouldn't have been broken to begin with, and the fact that you're defending the most idiotic of bugs based on "Well, there are bugs in other games" is just stupid. That's like defending a doctor who leaves a tool in a patient by saying "Well, other doctors have done it."
So a bug - one which only takes about a minute to fix permanently - is comparable to having surgical equipment sewn-up inside your body. Yeah...

There's no excuse for sloppy QA.
Have you ever made a game? Ever? Do you even know the basics to it? Lemme break it down for you: There are probably about a million places where a game can break; and about a dozen ways that fixing one thing can break something completely unrelated to it. This isn't even just Blizzard, that's just coding in general. When you have a game that's able to do a dozen things at once, it's very easy for code to get tangled-up in ways that even a team of a thousand play testers might not catch. Heck, there have been bugs that remained in a game years before someone discovered it. So... yeah. If a minor bug with an easy fix is really TOO much for you to handle that you need to drop a phrase like that... you should probably find a new hobby.
QA issues that are difficult to locate:

-Clipping
-AI Pathing
-Game Balance
-Hardware Configuration
-RNG Consistency

QA issues that are NOT difficult to locate:

-Inability to gain XP

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Thatguyky said:
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder just how many people are really having this issue. After reading this I got a little worried, and checked my account. I had no issues what so ever, and neither did my friend. Neither have really run into any glitches when it comes to Diablo 3 yet.

Shocking that you wouldn't have any issues after the hotfix to correct the issues.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It's a really easy to notice bug... and Blizzard know exactly what hardware most of the game is running on. How does this happen?

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
RvLeshrac said:
Thatguyky said:

Shocking that you wouldn't have any issues after the hotfix to correct the issues.
Oh, haha, that would make a lot of sense... when was the hotfix launched?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Obviously a hyperbolic point for emphasis, thanks for coming out. I honestly hate how people get vilified for criticizing Blizzard on this. This is a below standard release and handling of a game overall and will be remembered as such at the end of this year I'm sure. Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game, at least this year. This is pretty bad overall.
Dead Island and Rage would like to have a word with you*. It's amazing how people are so quick to forget about games that launch in a (literally) unplayable state, then see a game that has very few bugs like D3 and come-up with phrases like "Yes there are a few bugs that come after patches but very rarely has one game gotten hit with as much of a lack of quality control and testing as this game". You seriously sound a complete buffoon who's JUST getting into the gaming industry, but trying to sound as-if he's been around since the beginning.

*And just keep in mind, that's just two examples from the past year, let alone games I could pull-up from the past 10 years if I really wanted to.
1.Rage and Dead Island came out last year.
2.Neither were majorly massive releases, let's be honest.
3.Neither of those games had issues with hackers, or badly thought out DRM. Yes they had bugs but over time were fixed. Neither had something as ill-thought out as the RMAH and the online single player, which will affect D3 for the rest of its cycle rather than patched out.
4.Neither of those 2 games had the expectations to being particularly good before release, unlike D3.

Thanks for coming out.
1. You're right, they DID come out last year. That's why I said "from the past year", as oppose to "from this year".
2. Go ahead an wallow in your denial, like this makes any kind of difference.
3. Both of which are things that they announced well before hand, so they can hardly be attributed to being part of the "botched release". I guess you can insist on fighting for the "little guy", the guy who doesn't keep-up with the news in the gaming world and does no research before making a $60 purchase, but at this point it makes you wonder what kind of moron commits $60 to something he knows nothing about.
4. That's kinda like your point #2, except that it's a flat-out lie rather than just boring ole denial.

And oh, I'm sure you could name a list of games that came out in a bad state. So could the average gamer. Difference is its still rare that it happens. For every game you name that came out like crap in any given year, there were literally dozens of other that came out just fine. Don't be thick. We don't live in a world where the majority of games come out non-functional. Realize that before you call anyone a buffoon (nice by the way, not enough people use the word).
I called you a buffoon because you said that you've never seen a game release get botched so badly (paraphrasing, since I don't feel like checking the exact quote). Yes, I'm aware of games coming out in the state that Dead Island or Rage did are a rarity, but the point is that they exist. To have never seen a game botched as badly as D3 was is to either live under a rock, or to be completely new to the gaming world.

No one here is saying that no other game company puts out a functionally bad release. YOU'RE assuming that. We know that Rage and Dead Island came out in a crappy condition, we talked about it LAST YEAR.
And yet, your statement heavily implied that you believed this to be the case. I mean really, if a game with only one or two bugs is the worst release you've ever seen, then clearly everyone else is releasing pure gold. Also, I like how you emphasize "last year", as though everything that happens in the gaming industry is wiped clean the instant our clocks tick over to the new year; like we log everything on an etch-a-sketch, and every year we need to shake it clean to make more room. The point is, it happened. What's next? You're gonna scoff at someone writing-up a Holocaust documentary because "Psh, dude that happened over 50 years ago, who the hell cares anymore?"

So yes, I apologize for bringing up the archaic past of 9 months ago in response you claiming that no game release has ever been so bad as D3.

Look my point is that we're criticizing Blizzard now because the release of D3, one of the flagship franchises, has been handled so badly it looks like John McCain's presidential campaign in game form. And as consumer, we're going to give shit to Blizzard so that hopefully they don't fuck up this massively again. I don't see a problem with that, but apparently you do.
No, you're criticizing Blizzard because D3 isn't just a graphical remake of D2. There's absolutely noth very little wrong with D3 if you take-off those rose-colored glasses that you use for looking at D2. In fact, it's amazing how often people will deride D3 for being a sub-par sequel, listing reasons that were also true of D2.

I don't know how what distinctions you draw between "unplayable" and "a few bugs" but Error 37 kinda made D3 unplayable. Lag in single player makes the game not enjoyable and when you get booted out of your single player game because of lag, you're currently NOT playing it, making it temporarily unplayable. Getting your character hack makes that character unplayable. These aren't "a few bugs". These are major fucking problems.
I'll give ya credit for bringing that up, and it is admittedly a tough one. On the one hand, server issues did render the game "unplayable" in a fair-enough definition, but on the other hand it would have been foolish for Blizzard to buy the assload of servers they would have needed for the first couple of days, which would then quickly go unused as the post-release hype died down. It's kind of a tricky angle, and they have at least tried different things to try and mitigate the server lag that comes on release day (staggering releases, and such). However, no matter what they do, day one is always a lag-fest.

I suppose this is the part where you beat that "always online DRM" horse (the poor thing), but the Diablo series (contrary to your personal preferences) has always been very multiplayer focused; so it lacks the same tone that you could have for something like Assassin's Creed. Sure, some people choose to specifically stay offline, and I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice if that option was there, but to deny that the servers wouldn't have been lagged to heck on those first couple days if it was there would be foolish. So even if there was an offline mode, we'd still be right back to square one of figuring out how to reasonably deal with release day server lag.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
QA issues that are difficult to locate:

-Clipping
-AI Pathing
-Game Balance
-Hardware Configuration
-RNG Consistency

QA issues that are NOT difficult to locate:

-Inability to gain XP
You forgot to list "issues that only happen to certain people" to the list of issues that are difficul- Oh, right, but then you'd be proving yourself wrong, never mind me.