Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls Official Announcement Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls Official Announcement Trailer

Reaper of Souls adds a new act, and a new class inspired by Diablo II's Paladin: the Crusader.

Blizzard have taken this year's GamesCom to officially announced the rumoured [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126821-Diablo-IIIs-Expansion-Pack-Named-Reaper-of-Souls] Diablo III expansion pack: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. The game was announced via an amazing cinematic (as we've come to expect from Blizzard), and was accompanied with a short gameplay trailer and some interesting new features, including a new class: The Crusader. You can see the cinematic to the right, and the gameplay trailer below.

In Reaper of Souls Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death. He seizes the Black Soulstone, which contains Diablo's essence, leaving our heroes to track him down and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world. Our good friend Tyrael was left in a bit of a bad place at the end of the cinematic, so it's not known if he'll return in the expansion, or if it's the end for our favorite archangel-turned-human.

The biggest new feature of the expansion is the new Crusader class. The Crusader is a "fierce melee warrior whose command of the battlefield is matched only by his unwavering conviction and uncompromising dedication to the Light." Sounds a lot like Diablo II's Paladin, and when you check out at the gameplay trailer, it looks like he plays a lot like him too.

Other new features include an increase in the level cap from 60 to 70, complete with brand new abilities and runes for all existing classes. There's also a new artisan: the Mystic, who can "transmorgify" items (take the "look" of a particular item and apply it to a new item) as well as "reroll" affixes on rares and legendaries.

Also included in the expansion is the long promised "loot 2.0" upgrade, in which "smart drops" will tailor their stats to be more appropriate for the class who receives them, "Paragon 2.0" which makes Paragon levels infinite and account-wide, and a new act set in the Westmarch.

It's not known if Reaper of Souls will be coming to the console version of Diablo III, and no release date was given for the PC version.

I'm pretty excited about this expansion. People keep saying Diablo III was a letdown compared to Diablo II, but you gotta remember Diablo II only really got good with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack. Reaper of Souls seems to be delivering everything Diablo fans have been asking for. I am a little disappointed that there is only one new class, as opposed to the two that Lord of Destruction added.

Source: Diablofans [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/reaper-of-souls/]

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I really really want to want this expansion.. i want D3 to be amazing.. i want the expansion to be good... but i just can't bring myself to be excited about it :(

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i got a lot of hours of fun out of D3, but it just didn't have the staying power for me, and ended up pouring a lot more time into Path of Exile.

D3 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't brilliant, and wasn't good enough for me to be excited about an expansion.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
CrossLOPER said:
Still not free to play, huh?
Wow, here too? When are people going to get over this F2P fixation? No, a Blizzard production that likely took years of man hours to complete will NOT be F2P. What it will be is B2P. Diablo 3 is not an MMO (although it very much wants to be). It is at its core an old fashioned dungeon crawler, albeit with flashy graphics. It is not cheap to make and is definitely not free.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
WabbitTwacks said:
I wonder how much this will cost. I don't think there is enough content for 60 bucks.
Probably 40-30 bucks. Since it's Blizzard, I think it will be 40.

Either way, I am very satisfied with a new melee class and a gloomier setting. I doubt there will be any fundamental changes, neither in the gameplay or story department, but that's good enough for me.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So they are fixing the loot system, but I have to buy an expansion for it? Ya how about I just continue not playing Diablo 3, and instead enjoy Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile for my dungeon crawling needs.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
We've heard that Blizzard finally admitted that the old loot/AH system was a mistake, but that it would be too costly to patch. Sounds like Loot 2.0 is the redesigned system they're using in the console port. Good news for everyone! It might even be enough to get me back in the game for a few months. Was tired of an infinite amount of useless item drops.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Looks up from playing Torchlight 2

Any word on removing the Always Online component? No? Meh, the only good points are the re-roll and 'smart loot' systems. Hopefully this will reduce the need to use the Auction Houses.

Goes back to playing Torchlight 2

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Ponyholder said:
WWmelb said:
I really really want to want this expansion.. i want D3 to be amazing.. i want the expansion to be good... but i just can't bring myself to be excited about it :(

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i got a lot of hours of fun out of D3, but it just didn't have the staying power for me, and ended up pouring a lot more time into Path of Exile.

D3 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't brilliant, and wasn't good enough for me to be excited about an expansion.
Neither was the original base game of Diablo II. It wasn't until, like above mentioned, that it got really good with its expansion.

I myself am incredibly excited for this and really want to get that soundtrack. It sounds brilliant!
Wow I remember enjoying Diablo 2, a sold game even without LOD. It was one of the Main reasons I bought LOD and D3. D3 Was a complete disappointment in the story, Female diablo, leia, Killing off Decard with a second rate villain. It had the online AH (what a disaster that was). It looked a bit too cartoony, needed to be a bit more gothic. However I did like the idea behind some of the classes.

As for Reaper of Souls, I'm not sure if they are going to make an offline mode for the pc, or get rid of the ridiculous human look for tyrael, So I'm very hesitant.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
The expansion looks nice but I need to see more changes and updates to D3 than this.

The Real money auction house has to go along with the required always online. They can call it loot master 2000 and as long as the RMHA is there it will *always* have the house winning, Vegas rules apply again : )

So you want 15% of all transactions? Easy, so ask for 30%, people get angry so fake like you are compromising and you still get what you wanted, 15% of all revenue transactions.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit, I am tempted to go buy the expansion but now I am reminded how boring the game got after completing the story and went into grinding and getting the achivements...
I don't know, maybe I get it at some point in the future when the expansion will be super cheap and the sever will be stable due to lack of players on it by then.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
I enjoyed playing Diablo 3 and it had very solid gameplay (far better than the competition) and that's whats important to me. Diablo 2 without expansion wasn't that great but LoD added alot.

And the crusader class looks really cool!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Tempting... tempting, sadly I'm KIIINDA enjoying Torchlight 2 just a bit much...

Sorry Blizz, I usually got your back, And agh paladin type class my one weakness... but no, Unless they do the annual WoW Pass again in which they bundle the expansion (Because let's face it' i'm probably going to keep playing WoW for a year anyway) Theeen I just don't care.

Sadly they did that last time because Cataclysm just had NOTHING at the end of it, Mists kinda has alot going on and shit to do so maybe they'll not do that >_>

Oh well.

Jenny Jones

Jun 10, 2013
Yeah as others have said, there's a lot of things I disliked about D3, too much to want the expansion. Sure I wanna know about the story but am I willing to put up with having that story being thrust into my face every time I just want to go demon slaying and grabbing gear? No. I don't use or care about the RMAH but I thought it was a poor reason for always online which I didn't want. Put simply they wanted to be better than D2+LOD by doing things differently but ended up making it so different a lot of D2 fans didn't like it.

On a side note why on earth did the Escapist NEED access to my facebook friends list and why would it not let me continue to post unless I gave them access?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Papadam said:
I enjoyed playing Diablo 3 and it had very solid gameplay (far better than the competition) and that's whats important to me. Diablo 2 without expansion wasn't that great but LoD added alot.

And the crusader class looks really cool!
I enjoyed D3 combat far more than Torchlight2/PathofExile, was certainly smoother and had a lot of attention put into it, TL2 felt like it lacked any sort of feedback, PoEs combat engine is a steaming pile of shit but was certainly a lot stronger than D3 in everything except combat.

I just wish they'd cut their losses and remove the RMAH and do a full item wipe on D3 and start from the ground up again, but I know it'll never happen.