Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Review - Death Becomes It

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
TaboriHK said:
This review brings up basically every reason I tapped out of the original fairly quickly. Especially the writing. I don't know what happened to Blizzard. Their characters used to be so much more interesting. Now they are just there simply to advance the story. This feels particularly criminal in Starcraft 2. Such a shame.
The characters in Starcraft and Warcraft were always the strongest, and I'd argue with you that Starcraft still has good characters. But Diablo's main characters, as with most RPG characters, were always just weak, blank slates. Deckard and Tyrael had at least some semblance of a personality, but for the most part were just there to explain shit to you.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
irishda said:
TaboriHK said:
This review brings up basically every reason I tapped out of the original fairly quickly. Especially the writing. I don't know what happened to Blizzard. Their characters used to be so much more interesting. Now they are just there simply to advance the story. This feels particularly criminal in Starcraft 2. Such a shame.
The characters in Starcraft and Warcraft were always the strongest, and I'd argue with you that Starcraft still has good characters. But Diablo's main characters, as with most RPG characters, were always just weak, blank slates. Deckard and Tyrael had at least some semblance of a personality, but for the most part were just there to explain shit to you.
I find myself severely disappointed in Starcraft 2's take on basically every character. It's just simpler and lesser in every way.

I'll definitely agree that Diablo's strong point was never characters. That being said, I think the "so simple a 3 year old could follow it" narrative of D3 is too simple even for this franchise. Diablo to me has always been a series that had a couple of interesting ideas but let them take a backseat to the action, but D3 has no ideas. You can feel the game throwing up its hands and going, "okay, you're gonna fight the X in X now. Also, angels. I dunno, whatever."

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Good review: but i think a major point (possibly THE major point) was not addressed - the revamping of the original 5 classes, complete with a new ability.

Previously, only a single build was even close to viable in the higher levels of monster power (for example, CM wizard). Now, players can experiment with all of their classes skills and ability, and find dozens of perfectly viable combinations.

This is what really adds to the replay-ability of the game. When you start to get bored, you can completely change your build up on a while and come up with something that will still be viable.

Also... the always-online comment... really? Come on man...

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
*IF* I ever decide to buy a PS4, then I'll probably get it for that. Not right away, of course, because I don't think Diablo III is going to be worth spending $600 just to play.

I'm still never going to buy a single player game if I need to be always online. So PC will be forever "lolnope".

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Hm. Paying 40 bucks for 2 major selling points which should've been in the original version and 1-2 hour new content. Oh jeah, and 1 skill + 3 passives per class.
Jeah nope. They messed up with D3 and so many people were in rage and so many forums were aflame. And yet the sheep run back to the flock throw 40 bucks at Blizz anyway.

And people wonder why the gaming industry is in it's current state. All out of all my friends many of whom said they were horribly disappointed by D3 as long time D1+D2 players bought the expansion the day it released even though they haven't played in over a year.
I mean if you've such customers i'd screw them over too - they'll come back in the end anyway.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I play Diablo for the story :-(

It sounds like this is just more of the same, which I'm okay with. I had fun playing Diablo III with my friend. I do wish it was more randomized like the first game was and the story is certainly the weakest out of the trilogy, but it was still fun. Sadly, I have to wait until the PS4 version comes out before I get to play the expansion.
If you play it for the story, I gotta say its not as bad as the train-wreck that was Diablo III, but not being absolutely terrible is not the best of accolades. Do not get your hopes up for the RoS story, as you WILL be disappointed.

The rest of the game though has taken a turn to the better. While there is still a ways to go, its a DEFINATE improvement. The expansion is too expensive though for its content.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
"Everything is pretty disappointing. 4 out of 5 stars!"

Anyways, the removal of the AH puts us almost back at square one in terms of not fucking up the game like idiots. Still have to play online for no good reason, though, so I guess Blizzard is adamant about leaving their heads at least halfway up their asses.

Can't wait for the PS4 version. 1080p, 60fps, all of RoS plus bonus content, offline play, and controller input (which I find to be roughly 10x more engaging/fun).

I think the shit story is a pretty grave disappointment, honestly. In a genre where no one cares about story, you could actually take some real chances with the narrative and always rest easy in the knowledge that anyone who might be confused or "put off" can simply skip straight to the mindless slaughter. Why not tell a batshit crazy story we haven't seen a thousand times before when there's practically no downside to speak of?

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
My Problem is: I liked D3 after the loot 2.0 Patch. Played a bunch with friends, leveled up new characters and geared them up. And the I just stopped playing after two weeks, and now I feel absolutely no draw back in. If you make as much as a single step backwards from the game and look at what you are actually doing, you can't help but feel the utter nonsense that is getting loot to get loot to get loot...

It's odd because I never had that feeling with Diablo 2. Perhaps that was because you'd also get skill points. It seems a loot grinder stripped of any other feature just doesn't work for me.