Diablo III's Massive Patch 2.1 Releases Tomorrow - Finally Adds a Ladder Mode

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I wonder how long it will be before the patch comes to the Xbox One and the PS4? They have already announced that we would get the patches, as well, but I would imagine it would be a delay so it could be adjusted for the consoles, perhaps?

Also, I am having a blast with D3:UUE on my One. There was a serious learning curve as my awesome Demon Huntress was suddenly getting her backside handed to her at Torment 1, but I have since improved her considerably, and I am loving it! The Marauder armor is the way to go!

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Not applicable. I doesn't matter what the content is, since I'll not buying it; Because online!
And no, I'm really not going to buy it. I haven't bought a single always online (hell not even online verification) game.
I'm not constantly online either, don't even have a smartphone.

The heart of the matter is that I want to enjoy my games when I choose to, even if it's 10 or 20 years down the line.
Ironically, always online server will not always be online ,)

If you can find enjoyment in these games, kudos. I can't.
Oh, I won't be buying the next madden either, will you contribute money to that..series?
That is all well and good I understand where you are coming from, but then if you have not interest or intention to play an always online game than why are you here? People have been complaining about it nonstop since the game was released. Can people who just want to talk about the game do so without half the thread being full of people repeating the same complaints over and over please?

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
people complain about being always online but truly, how many of us are playing a singleplayer game and then have a internet tab in the background for music etc or steam? ive never understood why steam has never got shit, dont get me wrong, i like steam, but you have to purchase stuff from it online and have to be online to receive updates and stuff, so what gives?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
zerragonoss said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Not applicable. I doesn't matter what the content is, since I'll not buying it; Because online!
And no, I'm really not going to buy it. I haven't bought a single always online (hell not even online verification) game.
I'm not constantly online either, don't even have a smartphone.

The heart of the matter is that I want to enjoy my games when I choose to, even if it's 10 or 20 years down the line.
Ironically, always online server will not always be online ,)

If you can find enjoyment in these games, kudos. I can't.
Oh, I won't be buying the next madden either, will you contribute money to that..series?
That is all well and good I understand where you are coming from, but then if you have not interest or intention to play an always online game than why are you here? People have been complaining about it nonstop since the game was released. Can people who just want to talk about the game do so without half the thread being full of people repeating the same complaints over and over please?
Most likely because we fear every game becoming always online unless we speak out.
Add the fact that some of these games used to be able to manage just fine without online at all.
We are still gamers, we just like our ..freedom? options open? so to speak.
I'm not saying no online, just not only online.

Just like with my madden example (a poor one, I know, sorry) we understand that the more people continue to buy these games, more of the same will follow.
We want to make people aware of the consequences of apathy (bad word, bad poster, shame on me).

I used "we" instead of "I" heavily in this post. I don't speak for anyone but me though I know there are at least some others out there.

Thanks for listening!

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
AuronFtw said:
>Massive, free update to game with no sub fee
>Ton of new content, including the oft-requested ladders and leaderboards
>More challenging endgame content for organized groups
>Shitload of bugfixes and buffs to nearly every class
>Huge fix to AI/pathfinding for minions
this thread:
>"but but... muh offlines!!!!"
>MFW:

Most updates of importance will be on this edition; The ones that made this uninspired game into a fun, although very simple, action game.

The other stuff only matters if your life is the game. The micromanaging of characters really only matters if you have placed hundreds and hundreds of hours in the game and that's not what an average player will do. All classes are pretty much playable in a equivalent manner unless we are talking very high Paragon levels.

The extra stuff would be great if the game was better, but although it is addictive, D3 really is quite dumb after you've seen all the powers and monsters.

The truth is that most people would never need (nor want) more Diablo 3 than what they have on consoles. And they have it offline, with couch coop (the best way to play this game, seriously)and a much more comfortable controller (the dodge option alone makes a big difference in gameplay).

Also: most mechanical improvements (like pathfinding and some balance issues) has been patched to the consoles. And I repeat, those things do not make any difference unless you are very deep into the game. I played the game since launch in the PC (and in the consoles) for about 200 hours or so and I have seen a pathfinding issue once. Playing offline is more beneficial to the player than minor updates, no doubt.

My progress with all characters happened mostly at the same pace and none of them seemed unplayable. The game itself was unplayable in its first iteration, but that's another topic :).

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
No, because I don't give a rat's ass about sports of any kind. That aside, I fail to see the relevance of that question.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Doclector said:
Baresark said:
And before you ask, no, the always-online requirement has not been removed, and most likely never will.
This is why the console version of the game is the superior version of the game. Local coop and no online requirement. Imagine.... Blizzard gets attacked by someone with a huge DDoS attack... and I can still play the game with my friends right next to me on my PS4.
There are drawbacks, my fellow peasant. We appear to be receiving new content like this on a delay if at all. Still, good enough for me, though tell me, you seem like someone who would know, have blizzard confirmed whether they're gonna patch ultimate evil edition at all? I want me some of dat sweet templar action.
I'm going by the past on that one. I know they do patches for game and loot balancing. I don't know for sure if ladder mode is coming. They seem content to try and make unique content for each version. For instance, the whole nemesis thing is only on the console as I understand it. I'm not really interested in the Ladder Mode myself, but it would be nice for the people who were. The patches do come slower than they do for the PC. If anything, the PC players are stuck kind of beta testing the patches since they can change the PC version on the fly. Then the consoles get them a little later, or at least that is how it was on Diablo 3 for the PS3. I don't know for sure with the UE Edition. I didn't get Reaper of Souls on the console, I decided to wait till I picked up a PS4 and see what they did with that.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
And before you ask, no, the always-online requirement has not been removed, and most likely never will.
Well then fuck you too blizzard. My dollars will stay securely in my wallet. Really at this point, even f they were to release Diablo 3 or Diablo 4 without an online mode, I don't think I'd but it just out of principle. Yeah I'm pretty sure Blizzard's lost a customer for life.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
major_chaos said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
No, because I don't give a rat's ass about sports of any kind. That aside, I fail to see the relevance of that question.
I don't give a donkey's hocks about sports either, nice to know there are more.
Besides that though, that single statement in my post was a very bad example and I regret using it.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
AuronFtw said:
this thread:
Free? No, only if I purchase the expansion to a game I already paid premium dollar for and was broken for the entire first year of play. Haven't gone back since I quit. I made the mistake of looking beyond Blizzard for gaming and found out they are not the end-all to video-games and now have much better things to play than their overpriced garbage they used to unapologetically lie to all of their customers about, and all the "minor" changes they made to make people who already invested heavily into the game obsolete over-night in the hopes they would re-invest. No, I look for games to play, not for "money-milking simulators" or having to decipher what they really meant before changing their minds, 1984 MiniTrue style...
I understand endless farming, but got bored of playing an alpha I paid 60 bucks for and had to pay another 40+ to fix. A hacked version of Torchlight 2 was better bug-wise...

By the way, how is PvP in Diablo 3? So much for quite a few promises they've ignored in that respect... I'm still waiting, but as you can see, I don't hold much hope. The funding stopped there, at least from my end, and Blizzard will never be a worthwhile company after my D3 experience. Pretty sure that's the opposite of what they were going for, which shows just how hard they failed on that project.

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
gonzo20 said:
people complain about being always online but truly, how many of us are playing a singleplayer game and then have a internet tab in the background for music etc or steam? ive never understood why steam has never got shit, dont get me wrong, i like steam, but you have to purchase stuff from it online and have to be online to receive updates and stuff, so what gives?
I think Steam gets a pass from a lot of people because at least you can still play in offline mode if their servers are unavailable. Sure, you can't install any games you own without logging on, but you can still play most games you've currently got installed.

As much as everyone hates DRM, Steam at least makes it semi-palatable. The sales probably go a long way to sugaring the medicine.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Ajarat said:
AuronFtw said:
this thread:
Free? No, only if I purchase the expansion
Wrong! Your game is automatically patched via Blizzard desktop launcher, and you get the benefit of all the bugfixes, class tweaks and pathfinding improvements even in the base game (most of those pathfinding issues were aimed at WD, which is a class playable in the base game). The patch is free, in every sense of the word.

to a game I already paid premium dollar for and was broken for the entire first year of play.
I'm actually quite sorry you paid for the game on release, as it was a total shitfestival in 2012. Loot was terrible, legendaries were terrible, auction house was terrible, story was terrible, class viability was terrible, difficulties were skewed to *heavily* favor ranged classes, list goes on. But the loot 2.0 patch (that was also a free patch, similar to this one) came out and fixed... pretty much all of those problems. By axing the AH and introducing "smart loot" that favored your class, the majority of items you got were upgrades. Even a character who had been playing for a year by the time loot 2.0 came out saw a steady stream of upgrades off the bat, because class-tailored loot was an amazing change. They also increased the droprate of yellows and legendaries, so instead of getting majority blues, occasional yellows, and never oranges, you got majority yellows, occasional oranges and even a few greens (which I'd never seen a single one of before loot 2.0 hit). This, again, increased the quality of the loot acquired, and with the ongoing project to give unique legendary effects to every legendary in the game, many of those are now cornerstones of powerful and varied builds for each class.

The story, unfortunately, is still an absolute joke. Everything from the butterfly princess to the "master tactician" who watches you single-handedly stomp his entire army into the dirt and taunts you the whole time just reeked of *terrible* writing, and now that the majority of the game is actually pretty good now, the story sucking so much sticks out like a sore thumb. The Reaper chapter story is a slight improvement, mostly because Malthael shuts the fuck up and doesn't actively taunt you the whole time, serving more as a villain in the shadows, letting you learn about his history and motivations through collected journal entries before the final showdown. It doesn't come close to rectifying the total joke-on-wheels plot that encompasses the previous acts, but it's a nice step away from it.

I came back to the game in 2014, after getting the base game free (so I never felt "betrayed" by blizzard when d3 sucked at launch, I just didn't like the game and stopped playing). The loot 2.0 changes, the difficulty level changes (content scales by character level now, offering a much more customizable challenge), and the removal of the auction house catapulted the game's quality up to what I had come to expect from Blizzard games - I was able to finish leveling all my characters to 60, and played quite a bit on my Wizard to gear him up and see how the "endgame" played. Based on the amount of fun I was having, I decided to shell out $40 for the expac. After leveling a crusader to 70, and all my original characters as well, I settled on WD as my new main and played hundreds of hours more - joining groups to speed clear bounties, farm mats for legendary crafting materials, and even participating in the great Rift It Forward community as a runner.

The game has changed. It's an entirely different product than the shlock you saw at launch. So much of what made it bad was gutted out entirely, and replaced with superior systems (or no systems, in the case of the AH), and the introduction of bounties + rifts added a lot of replayable content, enjoyable solo or with a group. Diablo 3, in its current state, is every bit the game Diablo 2 was - the only noticeable difference in gameplay is freedom in skill/rune changing removing the requirement for additional character grind that D2 had. Some people found that kind of theorycrafting gameplay rewarding, where they'd try to take a fresh character up through Baal to see if a weird build would work, but those were definitely in the minority, and everything else that made D2 fantastic can now be found in d3 (farming, legendaries, group content). There's even PvP, for the few people who thought d2 PvP was ever any good (although they're fucking delusional).

If you want to hold a shitty launch against a game for all time, that's up to you, but keep in mind the game is nothing like that anymore. Since you already own it, why don't you try it out? You don't need to buy the expac to see the majority of the great changes they've already made. The expac just offers some new wallpaper and bigger numbers, the core game is the same even at 60.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
You make a strong case, Auron. I would take your advice and try it out, I would have out of curiosity, except like I mentioned, I have quite the back-log of games I want to play on Steam and what-not. In this day of age, there is SO MUCH competition for our money and so many options for titles (to the point that many are being offered as F2P), that there is no reason to ever go back to a company once burned. IMHO, this is a reality the industry would like to pretend doesn't exist, and that fact will eventually bury these Triple-A developers so long as they act like they can do whatever they want because they think they have some sort of "Monopoly."

Perhaps when the kids are a little older, I'll reinstall to let them have at it, much like how we as kids grew up on the original 2 Diablo games.. THAT experience, I would never deny my children. So ok, I concede Auron. There IS a good use for D3, especially if, as you say, a much better game than I unfortunately remember. (Still though, as for me, I have yet to play Diablo 2... GASP! The wife IS playing it right now, actually.)

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I really do hope that the consoles do wind up with the better overall D3 experience. I will feel less guilty about enjoying PoE or GD or TQ or MH or any other superior ARPG's that don't cost anywhere near the price of D3. I think the console players should at least have a little meat on the bones they get thrown.