Diablo III's Patch 2.3 Finally Brings Back The Horadric Cube (Sort of)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III's Patch 2.3 Finally Brings Back The Horadric Cube (Sort of)

Diablo III's upcoming 2.3 patch adds a wealth of new features and items, including an iteration of the infamous Horadric Cube.

Diablo III [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/diablo%203?os=diablo+3], much like its predacessor, has received a very steady stream of free content for its players in the years and months following its launch. Now, Patch 2.3 is right around the corner with some of the juiciest updates the game has ever received. Amongst the usual new items and new levels, the legendary "Horadric Cube" from Diablo II is finally making its return, in an iteration known as Kanai's Cube.

Kanai's Cube, being the artifact in which the Horadic Cube was derived from, will function in more or less the same way. Players will put a bunch of items into the cube, and if the right combination is met, it will make something new. In Diablo II there were dozens of different combos players could use in their endless search for phat lewt, most common of which being the six skull rares and Stone of Jordan re-rolls. In Diablo III, Blizzard promises the cube includes the ability to break down Legendary items and equip their special effects as passive skills, convert crafting materials from one type to another, and so much more.

[gallery=4331]

Other welcome additions in the patch, especially for those of you bashing your heads against the higher tiers of Greater Rifts, include the removal of the dreaded Real of Trials (players can now simply choose whichever level of Greater Rift they desire), and the addition of four new difficulty levels - Torment VII through X.

There's also a completely new area - The Ruins of Sescheron - complete with its own unique enemies, and a bunch of other changes you can read about here [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19802338/patch-230-ptr-preview-6-23-2015].

The patch should be hitting the Public Test Realm very soon, with an official release sometime in the coming month.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19802338/patch-230-ptr-preview-6-23-2015]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
The cube sounds really interesting, and I'm pretty happy that they're adding in higher torment modes now. After finally finding a playstyle that works for me at high levels, I was slightly disheartened when T6 started becoming easy >_>

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
List said:
And I'm still here waiting for more stash spaces...
Yeah. Blizz has done some great stuff with D3 since release (when it was shit), but the management of loot still eludes them. And even worse, just collecting the sets takes up HUGE amounts of space...and when you take into account the absolute sillyness that is multiple element specs...I dont think I'd be satisified untill I had like...at least 10 times as much space.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
List said:
Well... it sort of solves it. You'll be able to melt legendaries and store their effects in the cube, which should help tidy up a lot of player's stashes.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
List said:
Well... it sort of solves it. You'll be able to melt legendaries and store their effects in the cube, which should help tidy up a lot of player's stashes.
eh, wont be that much, most of the space taken up comes from those damn armour sets. Well, at least for me anyway. so many unfinished armour set collections. :(

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Hey, I didn't see the normal D3 post I see every time.

Its a new day for The Escapist!

More on topic, they're going to have to limit the cube in some way, maybe it can't use passives that your character couldn't originally equip anyway or something like that or its going to be massively broken even with just 1 weapon, 1 armor and 1 jewelry passive.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
seditary said:

More on topic, they're going to have to limit the cube in some way, maybe it can't use passives that your character couldn't originally equip anyway or something like that or its going to be massively broken even with just 1 weapon, 1 armor and 1 jewelry passive.

On the one hand you are likely right about it being broken. On the other they are adding t7-10 and have shown no problem letting the top build do a billion damage a hit so it?s possible they are just ok with all the numbers getting 10X bigger again.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
synobal said:
I'm still sitting here wishing I'd never bought D3 and that I could sell it.
And I'm still here wishing that every person who bitches and complains about D3 would stop bothering the people who do like D3.

On topic!

Super interested in this, especially the Torment levels. My latest seasonal character definitely feels a bit too strong for T6, which is a shame because I was super stoked to finally hit T6. Having more goals to work towards is always lovely.

Also super stoked about the removal of trials. I get what they were for, but it always ended up being somewhat of a crapshoot on what you'd end up with. Get a few levels too low and suddenly you're jumping up 5 levels after you finish and be completely unable to complete the rift. Not fun at all.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sorry synobal and shintakie, you might as well both accept that neither of your wishes will ever come true. :(

On that note, is it just me, or does the fact that the Horadric cube was derived from the Kanai Cube seem off? From a lore sense, I'd have expected the Horadrim to create their own artifacts. From a development sense (and I'm almost certainly reading too much into this), it feels like "see this D2? We have our own cube now, and it's better than yours! And it's gonna have blackjack! And hookers!"

But that's just me. And I actually like D3, so no complaints here.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
zerragonoss said:
seditary said:

On the one hand you are likely right about it being broken. On the other they are adding t7-10 and have shown no problem letting the top build do a billion damage a hit so it?s possible they are just ok with all the numbers getting 10X bigger again.
I wasn't just thinking about the numbers. I was also thinking about things like the Gidbinn giving a chance to summon a fetish whenever you attack or the Winter Flurry source giving enemies killed from cold damage a chance to release a frost nova.

Hell the Envious Blade alone would mix up possible builds a ton.

List

Sep 29, 2013
seditary said:
zerragonoss said:
seditary said:

I wasn't just thinking about the numbers. I was also thinking about things like the Gidbinn giving a chance to summon a fetish whenever you attack or the Winter Flurry source giving enemies killed from cold damage a chance to release a frost nova.

Think of all the possibilities...

but let's face it, I'm guessing everybody will be wearing either
the Calamity's passive (+20% dmg) or
the Furnace's (40-50% elite dmg)

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
List said:
seditary said:
zerragonoss said:
seditary said:

Think of all the possibilities...

but let's face it, I'm guessing everybody will be wearing either
the Calamity's passive (+20% dmg) or
the Furnace's (40-50% elite dmg)
Yeah probably everyone will just go with The Furnace.

I've played over 500 hours of D3 and never got one lol.