Dialysis Tech Fuels Coke's New Soda Fountain

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dialysis Tech Fuels Coke's New Soda Fountain

Coca-Cola's latest salvo in the eternal soft drink wars has been revealed: A surprisingly high-tech beverage dispenser offering consumers 100 flavors of soda from a single spigot.

Dubbed "FreeStyle," the machine utilizes technology "originally developed to measure extremely precise amounts of dialysis and cancer drugs" alongside advanced RFID sensors and an onboard computer to mix beverages on the fly to a consumer's particular tastes.

Further enhancing the machine's post-modern feel is a touchscreen UI on which consumers select their favorite soft drink flavor, saving soft drink aficionados the hassle of memorizing which of their local soda fountain's always mislabeled spigots contains disgustingly watered-down iced tea.

Coca-Cola's shiny new technology is currently being tested in Georgia, California and Utah, but according to Fast Company [http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/zachary-wilson/and-how/coca-cola-gives-ten-times-choices-freestyle], the soft drink giant plans to roll out an additional 60 machines by the end of the summer.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
There's a spot right next to my desk where you can park one of these. Awesome.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Now there is a good invention, how long before these come across the pond?

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
How long until I'm allowed to request an interface for beer and mixed spirits?

The guy in the video could probably make just about any technological advancement boring.

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
This whole thing is ripe with irony. Thank GOD I live in California! This whole thing is ripe with irony.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Virgil said:
There's a spot right next to my desk where you can park one of these. Awesome.
But a dialysis based drinks machine could back fire on you horribly.
What if you have an OAP in your office and they decide it's time to hook up?

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
As long as it makes the drinks taste good, as apposed to the way fountain drinks taste like shite now, then I am ALL over this!

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Too bad it isn't Pepsi. They have Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper.

Wait, Coke has Vault. A slightly redeeming factor, I guess.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vanilla Coke, yessssssssss. And we so desperately need one of these for the office, it's not even funny.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
needausername said:
I have boycotted Coke until they bring Coke Vanilla back.
They still make Vanilla Coke. Its just not in most places, they still have it in Atlanta. Also one of the chooses for coke in the pictures was vanilla coke.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Sweet Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God I want one! You just leave it next to my office space at work.