DICE 2008: The Awards

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
DICE 2008: The Awards

BioShock was the big winner, sweeping the music-based awards and bringing home five in all. Portal/The Orange Box tied with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for second place, each bringing in four awards, although Call of Duty 4 won the evening's highest honor: Best Overall Game.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
I haven't played assassins creed, but it's winning it's animation award over team fortress 2 sort of bugged me, though I'll have to play Assassins creed to find out for myself.

sporkfiler

Feb 9, 2008
"But perhaps the most intriguing bit of business involved Rock Band, the clear audience favorite (the Rock Band demo unit in the convention center has had a line since the conference opened), failed to win a single award for music,"

This is incorrect. Rock Band won the Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack award:

http://dice.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6185773&pid=939217&tag=top_stories;title;2

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
the_carrot said:
I haven't played assassins creed, but it's winning it's animation award over team fortress 2 sort of bugged me, though I'll have to play Assassins creed to find out for myself.
Having played both extensively, I feel Assassin's Creed is a justified narrow winner. It's relatively easy to make cel-style characters to move realistically and with high quality, compared to the fluid human animation of Assassin's Creed. Even when it glitches out, the animation on the texturing and skeletal levels remains amazing, even if the interaction between two animations desyncs. (Happened to me once on an interrogation mission. For a vicious assassin, Altair didn't seem too worried that his interrogatee's arm was sticking through his chest...) Other than the minor glitches here and there, the remaining animation interactions are excellent. Even the b*****d lepers shoving with all their retard strength.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I'm a little surprised Mass Effect didn't get some type of nod for the music, although to be fair there were two places using remixed music from Jade Empire and another that used an interlude from KotOR. Aside from that, however, it had an excellent and atmospheric set of themes which when combined with the film grain filter really screamed "80's science fiction".

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
sporkfiler said:
"But perhaps the most intriguing bit of business involved Rock Band, the clear audience favorite (the Rock Band demo unit in the convention center has had a line since the conference opened), failed to win a single award for music,"

This is incorrect.
What an odd mistake. That must have been when I got up to pee. Anyway, fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Most of the games that won are pretty poor. 2007 wasn't really a good year although 2008 might be better.

How can CnC get best strategy - anything that has a patch to rebalance most of the game does not deserve to win an award

Shadow Link

Nov 22, 2007
What bugged me is that BioShock got best sound design, they only have like one song, Super Mario Galaxy had the best soundtrack from a game I have ever heard in my life, yes the sound design in BioShock isn't bad, but because there is hardly any music it seems a lot more... hollow. Where as in Super Mario Galaxy there is always music and your always Immersed.

Mr.Garcia

Feb 7, 2008
BioShock deserved it. Great game. No doubt 'bout it.
Although the best soundtrack award could have been for Portals great ending theme Still Alive.

gormers

Nov 23, 2007
Shadow Link said:
What bugged me is that BioShock got best sound design, they only have like one song, Super Mario Galaxy had the best soundtrack from a game I have ever heard in my life, yes the sound design in BioShock isn't bad, but because there is hardly any music it seems a lot more... hollow. Where as in Super Mario Galaxy there is always music and your always Immersed.
Well, bioshock had very good sound effects and sounds and music that fit into the game.

Anyway, I don't agree with many of the awards but its their opinion on whats best.