DICE Artist Lists Mirror's Edge 2 in Portfolio

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DICE Artist Lists Mirror's Edge 2 in Portfolio

A lighting artist at EA's DICE studio may have inadvertently announced Mirror's Edge 2 by listing it on his online portfolio.

Earlier today, his portfolio [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/01/dice-lighting-artist-lists-mirrors-edge-2-on-portfolio/]: Under "2009-Present" Carlén claimed to have worked on two games in particular, Battlefield 3 and Mirror's Edge 2. Said listing has been removed, but the word is out.

To be fair to Carlén, we'd already heard about a new Mirror's Edge project last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92366-Mirrors-Edge-2-in-the-Works].

So it looks like despite the job cuts, the Mirror's Edge team largely escaped getting the axe. Well, they might be looking for a new lighting designer now, but hopefully it won't come to that. Accidents do happen, after all.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I can't see me liking the second if it follows the usual trend of sequels nowadays.

"The first one was alright, why not just release it with more stuff?"

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Huzzah! Another chance at more originality in gaming. This time, without the fake difficulty of adding more guys with guns at the end. hopefully.

Basically, do a sequel like Assassin's Creed 2 did. Look at your critics, and fix it.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
WOOOOOO! I love Mirrors Edge.

All they need to do is cut out all the crap with guards and guns and focus on the running and it'll be perfect. /Wishful thinking

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Huzzah! Another chance at more originality in gaming. This time, without the fake difficulty of adding more guys with guns at the end. hopefully.

Basically, do a sequel like Assassin's Creed 2 did. Look at your critics, and fix it.
AC2 didn't fix the problem with having to hold down the R1 button all the time.

That really bothers me, because I can't play normal games now without automatically holding in the R1 button... I've been brainwashed.

Apr 28, 2008
Mirror's Edge was a pretty good game, just released at the wrong time.

Sure, it had its flaws, but DICE has been known to be a competent developer and listen to its fans (The brought back the conquest game mode for Bad Company because the fans demanded it, and they allowed fans to pick some story maps to be in a free map pack)

I'm sure they won't make the same mistakes, but you never know...

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

That really bothers me, because I can't play normal games now without automatically holding in the R1 button... I've been brainwashed.
It's called HIGH PROFILE, if it was the other way around, you'd be complaining about how you had to hold R1 when ever you wanted to be stealthy or offensive. And if it was a toggle, you'd complain that it didn't switch to the other profile fast enough. This works. Then again, I have a 360, and holding the RT isn't terribly uncomfortable.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Awesome more free running goodness in white blue and red with a little bit of orange

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

That was hardly a major complaint, though. The biggest complaint was, of course, the repetition and Ubisoft seems to have dealt with that.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I've been thinking about getting Mirror's Edge, but its shoddy reviews, and seeming lack of after-release support make me question spending my dollars.

But perhaps I'll see what MRE2 has in store, and then play the original before buying it.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I played that on PC so I just binded it to shift...

Was it REALLY that bad? Like game breaking on consoles?

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's called HIGH PROFILE, if it was the other way around, you'd be complaining about how you had to hold R1 when ever you wanted to be stealthy or offensive. And if it was a toggle, you'd complain that it didn't switch to the other profile fast enough. This works. Then again, I have a 360, and holding the RT isn't terribly uncomfortable.
Or they could, you know, take it away? Push the analog stick forward gently to walk, all the way to jog, and hold in x to run. Use R1 for wall-running and make yourself having to press x to jump from gap to gap between roof-tops, like Prince of Persia gameplay. Change the button-layout a bit and you don't need high profile.

I don't complain about Prince of Persia gameplay, so if done properly, I shouldn't have any reason to complain about a similar control-scheme in AC. It's not "bad" controls, it's just annoying to have to hold in R1 and X all the time. I don't agree with Yahtzee disliking having a run-button, it doesn't bother me, but when you have 4 different modes to walk/run you're being overly complicated.

Push forward to walk.
Push forward and hold X to walk a little faster.
Push forward and R1 to run
Push forward and R1 and X to run faster.

And then we have
Push forward and R1 and X to run freely over buildings without any skill from your part required whatsoever.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I didn't say it was game-breaking. Although it's not very immersive.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
YuheJi said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

That was hardly a major complaint, though. The biggest complaint was, of course, the repetition and Ubisoft seems to have dealt with that.
No, it was not a big deal. I can complain about it a lot, but it didn't brake the game or anything.

Although I do complain a lot about the story, but that's just personal taste

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
HUBILUB said:
dududf said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I didn't say it was game-breaking. Although it's not very immersive.
Huh, oh I assumed.

If it wasn't game breaking, then it takes low priority, Story, combat, gameplay, and fixing the buggy parkour takes high priority, high profile, and low profile takes low priority.

:D

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
I've been thinking about getting Mirror's Edge, but its shoddy reviews, and seeming lack of after-release support make me question spending my dollars.

But perhaps I'll see what MRE2 has in store, and then play the original before buying it.
I bought it a couple of months ago for 20$ off of steam and was very happy with it. 50 or 60 would have been too much for it's short length, however.

If they'd just made the controls 'flow' better, it'd have been a damned good game.
They do flow very well once you get the hang of them. It took several hours for me to finally grok the game, but once I did it ended up being one of my favorite games from last year.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
HUBILUB said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Or they could, you know, take it away? Push the analog stick forward gently to walk, all the way to jog, and hold in x to run. Use R1 for wall-running and make yourself having to press x to jump from gap to gap between roof-tops, like Prince of Persia gameplay. Change the button-layout a bit and you don't need high profile.

I don't complain about Prince of Persia gameplay, so if done properly, I shouldn't have any reason to complain about a similar control-scheme in AC. It's not "bad" controls, it's just annoying to have to hold in R1 and X all the time. I don't agree with Yahtzee disliking having a run-button, it doesn't bother me, but when you have 4 different modes to walk/run you're being overly complicated.

Push forward to walk.
Push forward and hold X to walk a little faster.
Push forward and R1 to run
Push forward and R1 and X to run faster.

And then we have
Push forward and R1 and X to run freely over buildings without any skill from your part required whatsoever.
But then you'd lose the precision of the multiple walk modes. Holding RT+X/A in AC2 actually serves the purpose of pickpocketing, btw. And just holding RT is a basic run, with slight freerun aspects, such as climbing over small objects. RT+X/A is the full on freerun mode. And default walk speed lets you walk through crowds without pickpocketing, which attracts attention a few seconds after the theft. Each has their place.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
It was precisely this game I was most worried about not coming out in the next few years - screw that new rumoured Duke Nukem title - for exactly the same reasons as John states.

I'm glad it's been 'properly' announced now, I've been saying for a while that it's exactly the kind of game that needs a sequel. The first was an interesting experiment that, while it may not have worked perfectly all the time, was a lot of fun - it'll be interesting to see what they do to tighten the controls.

There was one sequence in that game, in particular, that was actually pretty amazing for me - I think it's the 3rd or 5th level where you're being chased by soldiers who can parkour just as well as you can, and you have to outrun them in a funky orange playground in the middle of a chimney or something - this would've been a brilliant idea for multiplayer, in my opinion. A game of hide 'n' seek, or tag or something, but with a better developed set of controls.

You have my ear, EA, now use it to get my wallet.