DICE is Considering Female Soldiers for Battlefield 4

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
schrodinger said:
If they're considering putting female soldiers in the game can they PLEASE not go the obvious route and sexualize them. It's not that hard; Just tweak the armour to fit the form more, without being too form fitting, and there's your female soldier. Or just go the realistic route where real female soldier's outfit is basically the same to their male counterparts.
I don't think anyone expects them to sexualize them. o_o

Just because they're video game devs doesn't mean that's what they have in mind. If they're going for realism, then they're going to make them realistic. *shrug*

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Wait didn't they already have a female model in the game? I am pretty sure they had one in one of thair trailers.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Creator002 said:
A massive overhaul of the engine? I mean, maybe because the female body is a little smaller you have to change the hitbox sizes thus you need to balance combat a bit better, but seriously? In any case, I'd love to finally play a female in a modern FPS (bar Halo). I almost always go female characters in any game that offers the choice, so that'd just make my BF experience all the better.
true, this would take time to do all the configurations. dint really think of that.

im just wondering when they would put females in to bf. if for this title. like i said earlier, it could be in a dlc. even better for DICE and EA if they would offer this dlc for free that contains only the female characters. i know, wishful thinking.

but you are not alone with playing female characters. if its available, i choose it without thinking. and in bf, it sure would be interesting to have them. imagine, hearing commands being shouted from a woman.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
schrodinger said:
If they're considering putting female soldiers in the game can they PLEASE not go the obvious route and sexualize them. It's not that hard; Just tweak the armour to fit the form more, without being too form fitting, and there's your female soldier. Or just go the realistic route where real female soldier's outfit is basically the same to their male counterparts.
I don't think anyone expects them to sexualize them. o_o
Thing is they do as the kerfuffle over Warface [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/07/warface-joshua-howard/viewgallery/308700] recently proves, Crytek added some less covered up female characters but the player feedback basically demanded camo-patterned bikinis. Crytek refused and added cleavage instead.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Eh, it's a first person shooter. The most you get to see of your character are the arms, the voices is probably the biggest thing for most people who desperately want to play as female models.

If DICE do "get it right" then the female soldiers should pretty much be indistinguishable from male soldiers beyond a few yards, unless they have great long hair sticking out of their head-gear lol.

J Tyran said:
Thing is they do as the kerfuffle over Warface [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/07/warface-joshua-howard/viewgallery/308700] recently proves, Crytek added some less covered up female characters but the player feedback basically demanded camo-patterned bikinis. Crytek refused and added cleavage instead.
That...is awesome.
Although the first thing that comes to my mind are the hitboxes, that's a pretty big difference around the mid section :p

WashAran said:
Wait didn't they already have a female model in the game? I am pretty sure they had one in one of thair trailers.
Campaign only I believe.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I don't know what is the big deal here. You create character models and put them into game, after that you record lines of dialogue and add them to said characters, you may want to tweak animation and that would be all. As for uniforms it's not an issue as well since women and men use the same gear! Really dice if you want to do it, just do it.

And those of you who cry over hit boxes and balance remember BF isn't a competitive game, it is supposed to be fun.

This story reminds me of those Remember Me developers that wanted to sell bland game by making everybody feel sorry for them -.-, stop making an issue out of things that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Quake and Unreal Tournament had female models in MP and that was more than a decade ago! No one was making fuss about it then.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
james.sponge said:
I don't know what is the big deal here. You create character models and put them into game, after that you record lines of dialogue and add them to said characters, you may want to tweak animation and that would be all. As for uniforms it's not an issue as well since women and men use the same gear! Really dice if you want to do it, just do it.

And those of you who cry over hit boxes and balance remember BF isn't a competitive game, it is supposed to be fun.

This story reminds me of those Remember Me developers that wanted to sell bland game by making everybody feel sorry for them -.-, stop making an issue out of things that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Quake and Unreal Tournament had female models in MP and that was more than a decade ago! No one was making fuss about it then.
But but, we didn't have JIGGLE PHYSICS back then!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin previously said that Call of Duty: Ghosts undertook a "massive overhaul" of the game's engine to make female soldiers possible.
You know, I don't know what sort of marketing bullshit they went on about when this was announced because I generally avoid info about the new COD games and didn't even know they added women in the game, but this statement makes absolutely zero sense to me. Like, absolutely none. If their game engine actually needed a "massive overhaul" to be able to add women, then their programmers are probably monkeys.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Because the gender you play as is really important in a game where your character communicates exclusively by shooting people in the face.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Why? Doesn't Battlefield constantly tout itself as realistic and authentic? So surely it should be the case that the game acknowledges that female soldiers aren't placed in front-line infantry roles. Even in the Israeli Defence Forces which does allow women into the infantry, they aren't placed in close quarters environments.

Whatever, though, Battlefield 4 is most certainly not a realistic or authentic game, so I might as well play a female character just for giggles if they add them.

What would be better is if they actually added a limited character customisation, I'd like to recreate my Rainbow 6 Vegas character or something.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
I thought that BF4 already had female soldiers? Or maybe it's just me who thinks the one on the right looks very feminine.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Creator002 said:
A massive overhaul of the engine? I mean, maybe because the female body is a little smaller you have to change the hitbox sizes thus you need to balance combat a bit better.
Just make the women the same size as the men. Planetside 2 seemed to manage it fairly well. Same height and width. Just a slightly different silhouette depending on the character gender.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
schrodinger said:
Or just go the realistic route where real female soldier's outfit is basically the same to their male counterparts.
Given BF aesthetics as a series and the presence of a completely non-sexualised female character in the previous game it's probably safe that this is the route DICE would take.

A slightly different, female voiced model that's essentially the same, of course if they went the Halo route and made female Spartans roughly the same, but with inexplicably wiggly hips, that would be hilarious.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ChanTheNoob said:
I thought that BF4 already had female soldiers? Or maybe it's just me who thinks the one on the right looks very feminine.
The one on the right is in a very sassy stance.

OT: Considering DICE were the people who gave us Mirror's Edge, I'd hope we wouldn't have to worry about them "sexifying" female characters in Battlefield multi-player. They've seemed pretty good about it in the past.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
The problem I see is the size difference.
I think the best way would be to make them smaller (with corresponding hitboxes) but counter that by making their spread on repeat shots wider (or scope sway a little more violent). So playing as a female character makes you harder to hit, but also makes it harder to hit back. The exact percentages would need a lot of tweaking, too much and nobody can hit anything, too little and everyone plays one gender, but it does put in a gameplay reason to pick one over the other.