Dice Not Behaving? The Best of Dice Shaming Will Make You Laugh

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Dice Not Behaving? The Best of Dice Shaming Will Make You Laugh

Publicly shaming your dice might not make your character come alive again, but it might make you feel better.

Read Full Article

Mufujumon

Nov 2, 2009
This is too good :3 In related news, I once played a campaign where the three PCs, me included, had to roll climb checks. All three of us rolled 1.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I should go grab a camera, video tape my friend rolling nothing over a 5 all night. I think people might laugh at a grown man crying.

Even better, he got his dice "blessed" by Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade last year at PAX :p

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
We would take pictures shaming our dice... if we didn't throw them in the nearby field if they failed us once too often.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm surprised there were no 40k fails. I got one: my ten man terminator squad charged a mob of shoota boyz. They took their overwatch pot-shots, made 12 hits and wounded 10 times. Rolled my armor saves, and I swear this is true, 9 of my terminators died!
9/10 d6 rolls ended up 1.
We were both in shock for the rest of the game.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Silentpony said:
I'm surprised there were no 40k fails. I got one: my ten man terminator squad charged a mob of shoota boyz. They took their overwatch pot-shots, made 12 hits and wounded 10 times. Rolled my armor saves, and I swear this is true, 9 of my terminators died!
I can't even imagine this

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
I was playing deadlands with a melee character. Rolled 5d6's to hit. None of them went over a 3. It was disappointing to say the least.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
JonB said:
Silentpony said:
I can't even imagine this
What I've learned, because I play Forge World 30k, is that you either win or you fail HARD. I've had games where I don't lose a man(talking 2k point games) and I've had games where Gets Hot kills more marines than the Eldar I'm fighting do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mufujumon said:
This is too good :3 In related news, I once played a campaign where the three PCs, me included, had to roll climb checks. All three of us rolled 1.
Were you all swallowed by the ground? xD

OT: YUS. I love these comedy stories. And holy wow, do I have some dice-shaming photos to set up.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I wonder if Risk dice shaming counts?
I vote yes.

Anyways, was attacking a country my bro had pulled out of and had left only a couple of dudes. I had a pretty sizeable army.

Do you know what its like to watch a couple of rejects with sticks taking down an entire empire due to terrible dice rolls? I do. And it hurts. It hurts so much.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Love this. More please.

Also, can we get a Looking For Group forum for tabletop gamers, or is that under Roleplaying?

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
I used to have this problem till my Dice Throwing hand grew some balls. Is there a DM screen across the table? Aim for that when you roll. Get yourself a dicebox by dumping out someone's old puzzle that's missing eight pieces into the trash, and roll those suckers in there from the 3-point line or failing that, an old fat pack box that you have lying around. Try to wreck that box with your dice by tipping it over against the wall.

Really, it helps reinvigorate some randomness into your dice. You'll roll less perfect-18's on your stats, but your D20's will appreciate it, and that's really what matters.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Seeing this I should have done something when I was playing my "roaming executioner" (based on the Shadow & Claw novel) in Drakar och Demoner (A nordic fantasy rpg in Swedish, translating to Dragons and Demons), where I crit fail a parry attempt, drop my sword, proceed to try and punch the grey troll in the face, crit fail and fall over, get up and try again, crit fail AGAIN and fall over. Team Mates kill the troll, troll falls on my character. Thank god for good Physique, otherwise he'd have been riddled with grey troll diseases...

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I only play tabletop RPGs via skype these days... I ST a game of Exalted

We usually joke that our dice-bot is Plentimon, the god of gambling in the Exalted game. ...we also joke that it tends to run out of good rolls if you get too many in a row.

Count Lieberkuhn

Jul 31, 2008
One of my players touched the dice of another player who is very sensitive about people touching his dice. Immediately after, the player who touched the dice rolled 3 consecutive 1s on a d20. Similar (though less unlikely) things have happened to others who touch his dice. With cursed dice like that, he should have played a warlock! (he's a psion)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
There aren't physical dice to blame, but here's a story I watched happen [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTTSfN8wpsE&list=PL-oTJHKXHicSxBj2DMq_zmJ0QALrhKzVg]:

While playing WH40k: Dark Heresy, a player effectively laid his shotgun on the back of an unsuspecting target's head... and missed, injuring himself and causing collateral damage to the room.