DICE Officially Cancels BF1943 and Bad Company 2 Onslaught for PC

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Haven't bought a Dice game since Battlefield 2142 and it's psychotic DRM, things like this mean I'm unlikely to ever buy another. Shame, I love BF2.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
archvile93 said:
translation: "A PC version wouldn't have given us huge sums of money, so we abandonned it."
Well they're not going to make something that doesn't make any money. They're in it for the passion but they're not going to go through all that effort the the majority of the userbase to pick it up for free and proceed to criticise every little flaw.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
archvile93 said:
translation: "A PC version wouldn't have given us huge sums of money, so we abandonned it."
Well they're not going to make something that doesn't make any money. They're in it for the passion but they're not going to go through all that effort the the majority of the userbase to pick it up for free and proceed to criticise every little flaw.
Oh it would've made money, just not as much as a new game. But that's understandable, I mean why should one group expect their product to be just as good as others' right?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
When I came in here I thought this was about Battlefield 3 for some reason.

While this is crappy news it's not that crappy.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
archvile93 said:
Pulling the piracy card out again, eh? Because one platform doesn't deserve a game as good as the other.

Also, when BF2BC2 was breaking the sales charts, I kinda remember the highest percentage of the 2.3m sales being on the PC [http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13383-battlefield-bad-company-2-tops-sales-charts/].

Anyway, move along, PC gamers getting shafted, nothing new to see here. You'll be lucky to get a demo for BF3.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
Good.

If that means they're actually focusing on Battlefield 3, I'm happy.
1/2 of their fans will criticize them for backing out.

The other 1/2 thats understands the decision will scoff at them if Battlefield 3 isn't amazing now.

They really put themselves in a corner.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
bah, double post, 2nd one is better

Osalot_TH

Sep 10, 2008
Who really cared about the console ports anyway. Yeah they made money but the PC is where the really fans go to play BF. I think that EA and has gotten the wiff of that sticky cash and now I'm very afraid for BF3, and really all they have to do is take BF2 and make it better but not change to much.

And for god sakes there better be prone

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well battlefield 3 better be getting some damn pc loving for them dropping both of those, I loved some bad company 2 and I always wanted to play onslaught mode

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
it took them 2 years to say something every pcgamer already knew? <.<

look DICE if you want to suck on the proverbial console tit, just say so and get it over with.

I've long since stop giving a shit about the battlefield series ever since you flopped hardcore with the cash in that was BF2142...and the consolified atrocities that you released on the PC that is BFBC series.

ill wait for bf3 to get to the steam bargain bin b4 i pick it up. It shouldn't take long since i manage to get bfbc2 for $30 bucks 3 months after release. Thank god for Yearly COD releases reducing their competitions prices \o/

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
BF2 proved to me that team-oriented gameplay does not exist. MW2 proved to me that FPS games are built around being the biggest asshole, and BlackOps proved to me that the world is majority assholes. TF2 proved to me that money = points. CS:S proved to me that there is no such thing as legit skill.

DAoC taught me how to lead people, SWG taught me how to write a good story, LOTRO taught me how to lead a Guild.

Is there any wonder that I tell people I will never touch another multiplayer game in my life?

This isn't a surprising move, everyone knows the bad developers drop PC support, only the good developers make stuff for PC and have it work. DICE isn't up to the challenge of designing a decent game for the PC and they never will be.

If you ask me, Square Enix is right up there in good PC titles (Just Cause 2, Deus Ex)

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
If it weird that my only real concern regarding this news is that, if they had to cancel these, they may not have time and resources for Mirror's Edge 2? 'Cause I'm getting worried about that...

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
And yet, at a $10-15 price point, I bet they would have cleaned up. I'd almost be willing to be that at that sort of price, on Steam, they would have had enough takers - serious fans and more casual players, as the price is low enough to encourage a trial of it.

So, DICE can go DIAF for this.