DICE Reveals Massive List of Upcoming Battlefield 3 Changes

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
DICE Reveals Massive List of Upcoming Battlefield 3 Changes

DICE makes up for a lack of updates with the announcement of one gigantic mega-patch on the horizon.

Gamers can be very particular when it comes to the mechanics of online play. Sometimes even a 1% adjustment to a weapon or player class can be the decisive change that fundamentally alters the outcome of a match (at least the players seem to think so). Because of this delicate balance, most multiplayer aficionados prefer, if not demand, that developers stay on top of the more popular franchises after release, tweaking and fixing the game until everything achieves some semblance of equilibrium. That's why, recently, a large segment of the Battlefield 3 community has begun to wonder why [http://Battlefieldo.com] many of these concerns haven't yet been addressed in their game of choice. Perhaps in response, or perhaps by coincidence, DICE has suddenly revealed a mammoth list of upcoming fixes, tweaks, and balances that players can expect to experience for themselves somewhat soon.

The full list (which you can check out here [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654779195992365/]) includes what can only be described as an impressive amount of major changes to everything from spawning rules to weapon damage, vehicle behavior, bug elimination and beyond. Here are just some of the highlights:

-Players should no longer take fall damage from short falls.
-Increased the inaccuracy and recoil added when a player is fully suppressed.
-Switching from primary weapons to sidearms and back now takes less time.
-The Knife now only takes two swipes to kill when attacking from a position where a takedown is not possible.
-Unguided tank rounds and RPGs will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
-Increased the damage of the Javelin and Air to Ground missiles against laser designated targets.
-Reduced the locking time for the AGM Missiles for Jets to make them more viable against ground targets.
-Increased the power of explosions from cars and other explosive static objects.
-Jet and Helicopter collisions should now properly result in the death of both vehicles.
-Tanks can no longer drive into the water and cross the Wake Island lagoon completely submerged.
-All semiautomatic and bolt weapons, including all shotgun slugs, now have their maximum damage out to 15m.
-Zooming shotguns with Buckshot and Flechette loads will now result in a slightly tighter cone for the pellets.
-Bolt action sniper rounds now have a chance to kill at close range if the player is hit in the upper chest.
-The Accuracy increase and Recoil reduction of the Bipod has been significantly improved for Assault Rifles and Carbines.
-The Hip Accuracy bonus provided by the Laser Sight has been increased.
-The Suppressor no longer reduces the maximum damage of a weapon when equipped. Instead the Suppressor reduces the minimum and maximum range of the weapon, making it ideal for CQB and Stealth.
-Mines, Claymores, C4 and other deployable items will now only appear on the minimap when spotted by a teammate.
-Kharg Island has a new spawn zone layout, along with a bigger playable area and new cover objects. Spawn points have also been tweaked.
-Noshahr Canals spawn zones have been tweaked. Removed unsafe spawn points in the Northeast corner, and in the middle of the container area to the Southwest.

"We would like to share some of the confirmed fixes and tweaks that we have been working on to the community," wrote Daniel Matros, DICE global community manager for the official Battlefield blog. "Note that this is still not a full update list and there will be more information on this as we go forward. Also please remember that the content in this list might be changed but of course, we will also keep you in the loop about this. While there still is no ETA on the patch, we're still working on improving online gameplay for all of our dear community members."

While DICE doesn't yet know exactly when players will see this mega-patch, it did confirm that it will be for all versions of Battlefield 3, including PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The only version of the game likely not receiving the patch is Aftershock, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115968-EA-Pulls-Battlefield-3-Aftershock-From-App-Store] though somehow I doubt anyone will notice.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-23-dice-shares-battlefield-3-patch-notes-ahead-of-release]

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Well, I guess the good news for me is that when I finally grab this, I won't have to mentally adjust my playstyle much.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks like a dandy list indeed. Well, i suppose it`s good that they fix stuff.
Currently I´ll stick to BFBC2, not even sure if i could run BF3. But maybe one day, I´ll check this out, too. Not in a hurry, tho.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Three things you should add to that list for me DICE

1: Go back to the one missile disables a helicopter, those bastards are just near unstoppable now.

2: Longer reload times for the flares in aircraft. Seriously, that shit coupled with the new Borg cube strength of the choppers is a pain in the dick.

3:......................................FIX THE FLASHLIGHT!!!!! That should of been day one, patch one, minute one, beta testing, pre-production, dawn of man stuff.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Will any of this stop me from sucking so bad at the game? Probably not.

Although in all seriousness I like to play support and the changes to suppression and explosives sound very appealing to me. I figure if I can't hit a target to save my life I can at least spray some machine gun fire at the enemy to screw with their aim and who doesn't love a building lined with C4?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Looks like a dandy list indeed. Well, i suppose it`s good that they fix stuff.
Currently I´ll stick to BFBC2, not even sure if i could run BF3. But maybe one day, I´ll check this out, too. Not in a hurry, tho.
If you can run Bad Company 2, you can run BF3. Frostbite 2 is optimized extremely well.

Edit: Also, no more MAV abuse! Woo! Wooooooo!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Have they removed Origin as a requirement? Or used an actual server browser? No? Oh well. Fuck Dice then. Not wasting money.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Aw man now I actually have to look for those pesky anti-tank mines, c4 charges, and claymores.

I like all the other changes though. Or, I should say, the idea of them. The suppression thing could be a bit of a pain for me too...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
The mav really needed fixing so good. it also means jets cannot ram choppers out of the sky and take no damage. Im glad the stinger got a buff too, it may be worth taking now.

Also the USAS frag rounds nerf is long over due.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
wooty said:
Three things you should add to that list for me DICE

1: Go back to the one missile disables a helicopter, those bastards are just near unstoppable now.

2: Longer reload times for the flares in aircraft. Seriously, that shit coupled with the new Borg cube strength of the choppers is a pain in the dick.

3:......................................FIX THE FLASHLIGHT!!!!! That should of been day one, patch one, minute one, beta testing, pre-production, dawn of man stuff.
1. I've only encountered that when they're "cheesing" the helicopter.
1a. "Cheesing" Having engineers constantly fix the helicopter mid battle for maximum efficiency

2. I'm okay with this since usually when only one person is using a Stinger their flares are reloaded by the time another lock is achieved.

3. You don't like barrel mounted suns?

bjj hero said:
The mav really needed fixing so good. it also means jets cannot ram choppers out of the sky and take no damage. Im glad the stinger got a buff too, it may be worth taking now.

Also the USAS frag rounds nerf is long over due.
The way they're going about nefing it is that auto shotguns fire much slower using frag rounds now.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
My main interest was how they would change the USAS12. Very little else about Battlefield 3 is so grossly overpowered (IMO) than that monstrosity with frag rounds.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Baradiel said:
My main interest was how they would change the USAS12. Very little else about Battlefield 3 is so grossly overpowered (IMO) than that monstrosity with frag rounds.
This. It's a shotgun with like the range of an assault rifle and it's explosive rounds can pretty much take out buildings. Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea in multiplayer.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Great that they keep polishing it.

Now to the problem do I really have to start all over again and learn what new bugs/unintentional "fixes" that this patch will bring...
And will it bring more cooperative people? Most people don't help each other out enough even though you earn ridiculous amount of points for it. Like taking a tank and just drive of and not check the minimap for guys sprinting after it to catch a ride...
And would it be possible for them to give me some more FREE maps getting some what bored with the ones I have...
Finally would it be possible to delete all fracking QTE in the campaign so I actually could enjoy it?

O well I won't get any better how much they tweak it anyhow...

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
Chaos Marine said:
Have they removed Origin as a requirement? Or used an actual server browser? No? Oh well. Fuck Dice then. Not wasting money.
agreed on the origin thing they can fuck off shame to i wanted this and mass effect 3 and i wont have ethier now but i'll be damed if i am leting spyware on my system

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
I just about did a happy dance when I read the part about Horns on the Jeeps.

This patch is going to be huge, I can't wait.

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
I'm really happy about 99% of these fixes, but the changes to the F-35 shock and anger me, I'm one of the rare pilots who can use the F-35 in air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, and I think it works fine. You just have to fly to its strengths. The reduced cannon damage is a huge nurf not to mention eliminating hover at altitude will render it defenseless in high altitude dogfights. Sergeant of enterbf3.com said it best:

"*pre patch*
F-35 Advantages:
-Bigger, more effective gun
-Ability to hover
-greater steering at high altitudes(800+ meters)
SU-35 Advantages:
-Cannon has less pull on rounds(fires "straighter")
-much more manuverable
-better turning ability at low and medium heights
-Heads Up Display is easier to look through than F35 Helmet Mounted Display

*Post-Patch*
" -Updated the F35 weapon systems to be consistent with the other Jets.
-The F35 will now only attempt to enter Hover at low altitudes, though it will maintain the hover until forward flight is resumed, even if it reaches high altitude. "

F-35 Advantages:
-Ability to hover
SU-35 Advantages:
-Maneuverability
-Speed
-less pull on rounds
-Equal maneuverability(to F35) at high altitude(800+ meters)
"

EDIT: Also going to miss engaging hover at max altitude and just turret gunning the flankers, or tilting the nose down from 600 meters and making map-length strafing runs. Very bad decisions IMO, DICE, why not just remove the F-35 and replace it with Superhornets at this point? Please reconsider revising these decisions.