Did anyone else see the leaked SW:TOR gameplay?

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I was gonna make this thread linking the leaked footage but it looks like it was taken down.
http://cs.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649 This was the leak

The game really doesn't exceed many expectations and just looked like another WoW clone. The dialogue is pretty unsubstantial and there's this one horrendously hilarious scene where three twi'leks attack the player and his droid. The combat is your usual spam buttons til they drop except the player seemed to be having a lot of trouble because he almost died every single fight he was in it seemed thus having to heal constantly(it was a meditate like ability that took 15 seconds) he used an ability that is exactly like the hearthstone and it was called fast travel, fast travelling instead of gryphons you're on speeders now. I'm sure many are going to just say what they always said, similar to I told you so. But if you go to the website you're gonna face huge amounts of people who can't wait to play this game. Please note though that this guy's character was still a lowbie, but this video was an hour and 30minutes long. The gear system is also the same as world of warcraft's. You get green/blue/purple colored gear with stats and you upgrade. This may be in testing, but so far Bioware is going down a similar road where they just want to make it simple and action packed so people will give them more money.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
HellspawnCandy said:
I was gonna make this thread linking the leaked footage but it looks like it was taken down.
http://cs.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649 This was the leak

The game really doesn't exceed many expectations and just looked like another WoW clone. The dialogue is pretty unsubstantial and there's this one horrendously hilarious scene where three twi'leks attack the player and his droid. The combat is your usual spam buttons til they drop except the player seemed to be having a lot of trouble because he almost died every single fight he was in it seemed thus having to heal constantly(it was a meditate like ability that took 15 seconds) he used an ability that is exactly like the hearthstone and it was called fast travel, fast travelling instead of gryphons you're on speeders now. I'm sure many are going to just say what they always said, similar to I told you so. But if you go to the website you're gonna face huge amounts of people who can't wait to play this game. Please note though that this guy's character was still a lowbie, but this video was an hour and 30minutes long. The gear system is also the same as world of warcraft's. You get green/blue/purple colored gear with stats and you upgrade. This may be in testing, but so far Bioware is going down a similar road where they just want to make it simple and action packed so people will give them more money.
I didn't watch all of it, just skiped around and yeah, it looks like WoW with Star Wars paint.

Also do my eyes decive me or did at the 1 hour mark he got a quest to collect eggs..?

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Yeah, I saw it.

I think Bioware went with quantity over quality with voice acting. The dying Sel'Kath was painful to watch. As was the part where he was stabbed. The animation was classic BioWare as if they included it as a reference to KoTOR. Especially when he killed that guy with no sword or the injured man got up to walk to a certain spot. Also, attacking monster throws a rock at you in a video, then walks aimlessly around waiting for you to attack. I'm curious as to what the moral meter from KoTOR is for. So far I've only seen a requirement for gear in the video.

I hope that space travel doesn't end up being like in KoTOR too. At best, it seems it will be gummyship from Kingdom Hearts like.

Although the combat was a bit exciting the first time I saw it. The story looks okay, but I would hate running through it again several times.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That looked really boring. Why is it so hard for MMOs to make visually interesting combat?

And I noticed that they yanked music from KOTOR 2. Not even a Bioware game but they can use the music?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
That looked really boring. Why is it so hard for MMOs to make visually interesting combat?
I suppose we could set up a Mortal Kombat MMO where people just run around and rip eachothers spines out.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
thiosk said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I suppose we could set up a Mortal Kombat MMO where people just run around and rip eachothers spines out.
I meant that it looks choppy. It doesn't feel smooth or natural. For reference, it is comparable to the Dragon Age 2 combat, which looked way too fast and jerky, as compared to the smoother feeling animations from Origins.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Looks like a Star Wars MMO, which is why I'm excited! Looks like it'll be really slick once they work out some of the cutscene weirdness. The pacing of that injection scene was off. Then again BioWare games have always had weirdness like that. There's a fair amount of visual glitches in the custscenes (like the invisible sword and cloth stuff), but this will be fixed by release, I'm sure. This is an older UI, not sure how old this build is.

Not sure why people are surprised. This is pretty much exactly what BioWare has described their game to be. They exaggerated the dynamism of the combat a little, it would seem, but that's just marketing talk (or possibly the fact that this is low-level content). Environment looks really slick though, despite the low-quality video. Yup, everything seems right where I expected. At least I know I'm not going to be disappointed. Bring it on!

edit: I kind of hate that dark-side/light-side glow that happens in those conversations though. Quite overbearing and distracting.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Oh. My. God.

That looked terrible. The character animation when the Twileks attacked were more Resident Evil 1 than Mass Effect, and gotta love the scene where you stab the big bad with an empty hand.

Terrible talky sequences aside, the game looks like even more of a WoW clone than I'd thought, and that's not going to go down well. Yes, WoW is a masterpiece of MMO design, but it is getting on a bit and for a big budget game released in 2011 to be such a blatant copy is just sad.

On the plus side the fighting animations looked alright, though I'd have been more intrigued to see a ranged character in action.

Unless this footage is like a year old, which I very much doubt, I'm now more convinced than ever that this game is going to be a collosal flop. Expectations are too high and from what I've seen here this brings absolutely nothing new to the genre.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well that was pretty much what I expected, I don't mind the horrible animations at the moment. They've still got a while to clean that up. If it's going to be mainly a WoW-clone that's fine by me, I've enjoyed WoW for a year or two back in the day before they destroyed it. If anyone can do WoW better than WoW itself, BioWare certainly has a chance.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Sixcess said:
Terrible talky sequences aside, the game looks like even more of a WoW clone than I'd thought, and that's not going to go down well.
Obviously the missing sword and messed up rock throw are things that are going to be fixed. Dunno about the rest. But how exactly is this a "WoW clone?" Obviously this is an MMO and WoW is also an MMO, but what makes it a clone of that specific game and not just a different game in the same genre?

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Looks just like any other MMORPG on the market and it's just as I expected. Not like it's necessarily bad thing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
rsvp42 said:
But how exactly is this a "WoW clone?" Obviously this is an MMO and WoW is also an MMO, but what makes it a clone of that specific game and not just a different game in the same genre?
The gear system looks identical.
As does the vendor trash.
And the collect x of y and kill x number of z missions.
The speeder bike 'taxi service' is fast travel griffons/bats by any other name.
Hotbar combat.
Vendors with canned hello/goodbye speeches (and a buyback screen)
The art style is very WoW in that slightly cartoonish way.
Even the naming color scheme.

Granted, these features (well other than the art style) aren't unique to WoW, but most newer MMOs try to change it up a bit. There's literally nothing in that video that doesn't remind me of WoW, and if an MMO wants to survive it has to do something different, because why play a WoW clone when you can play WoW?

A year or two ago when the hype train started running on this thing all the talk was of Bioware making this awesome next gen MMO. For them to come up with what is basically WoW reskinned and with added cutscenes is... all I can describe it as is an opportunity wasted.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
We knew from previous gameplay videos that TOR is a WoW clone, but even games like Rift, which did not stray far from WoW either, manage to bring a level of uniqueness to their game. This looks like they aren't even trying to make it different.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:

2:50 onwards (shows enivroments and gameplay)

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
god am I bored of everybody with 3 braincells calling EVERYTHING a WoW clone as if WoW did everything first >_>.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Sixcess said:
rsvp42 said:
But how exactly is this a "WoW clone?" Obviously this is an MMO and WoW is also an MMO, but what makes it a clone of that specific game and not just a different game in the same genre?
The gear system looks identical.
As does the vendor trash.
And the collect x of y and kill x number of z missions.
The speeder bike 'taxi service' is fast travel griffons/bats by any other name.
Hotbar combat.
Vendors with canned hello/goodbye speeches (and a buyback screen)
The art style is very WoW in that slightly cartoonish way.
Even the naming color scheme.

Granted, these features (well other than the art style) aren't unique to WoW, but most newer MMOs try to change it up a bit. There's literally nothing in that video that doesn't remind me of WoW, and if an MMO wants to survive it has to do something different, because why play a WoW clone when you can play WoW?

A year or two ago when the hype train started running on this thing all the talk was of Bioware making this awesome next gen MMO. For them to come up with what is basically WoW reskinned and with added cutscenes is... all I can describe it as is an opportunity wasted.
lol "reskinned." Because that was all clearly Elwynn forest with Jedi instead of Alliance. They just took the same game and changed the models/textures. Right.

Everything that you mentioned is either extremely general or inaccurate:
A gear system is a gear system. Dragon Age has this gear system, complete with trash items. KoTOR has you gear like this. It does not belong to WoW or Blizzard. The naming color schemes are arbitrary, how would changing those make a difference?

Obviously the quests are the same type of actions, but they're wrapped in conversation and story. Everyone who's played it says it feels way better because of this. Compare to Rift, which is lockstep with WoW in its presentation.

The taxi service. Because that's what makes WoW, WoW right?

Hotbar? Point me to an MMO that doesn't have one.

Now vendor responses belong to WoW? It's like a game literally can't do anything without "cloning" WoW these days.

The art style is not the same as WoW. It's glaringly obvious to anyone not trolling. I could photoshop two screens together, but I'm sure you don't want me insulting your intelligence in that way.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Cavan said:
god am I bored of everybody with 3 braincells calling EVERYTHING a WoW clone as if WoW did everything first >_>.
Lol, I know. Play another game people. Expand your horizons :p

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Cavan said:
Same here, people have apparently forgot that there were MMOs out before WoW and many of them are based on the same basic forumla, hell the only one that really was different was the original iteration of Star Wars Galaxies before they changed it drastically to compete with WoW which ironically nearly destroyed the game.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
My guess is that they aren't willing to take any chances with the combat, because swtor is a very expensive project and they have to make up for that. It's commendable that they are trying to build such a huge game and frankly i thought the combat would be much worse. It isn't as "choppy" as i thought it would be and there are no awkward pauses in between ability use. Otherwise, yeah, it's totally a yet-another-mmo, but maybe that's a good thing, we'll see.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
rsvp42 said:
Cavan said:
Lol, I know. Play another game people. Expand your horizons :p
It's not just that, it's that established genre defining things have been forgotten because 'WoW made them popular', if a game has an ability bar it must automatically be WoW because nobody is smart enough to see beyond first impressions.

If a game has any hint of fantasy involved it was because WoW did it first,
If a game has group PvP or PvE it's because WoW made it so,
If a game has equipment to loot in different categories of power it must be WoW,
If a game has a crafting system or chat it is because WoW pioneered the system,
If a game has half its content unreleased because it's still in very early closed beta but still looks a little like WoW it MUST BE WOW OMG Y CNT U SEE DIS.