Did anyone else see the leaked SW:TOR gameplay?

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Korten12 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
That looked really boring. Why is it so hard for MMOs to make visually interesting combat?

2:50 onwards (shows enivroments and gameplay)
In all fairness, a lot of that is just good editing, but I think we all get that GW2 looks nice. I really don't understand why people see the need to get into different camps and bicker about it though.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
HellspawnCandy said:
The dialogue is pretty unsubstantial
What were you even expecting? It's a bloody MMO; where you actually thinking that the dialogue would be nearly as in-depth or compelling as a single-player experience? At the very least, don't you think that even having the dialogue is more compelling than excuse text that nobody reads anyway?

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Kimarous said:
HellspawnCandy said:
What were you even expecting? It's a bloody MMO; where you actually thinking that the dialogue would be nearly as in-depth or compelling as a single-player experience? At the very least, don't you think that even having the dialogue is more compelling than excuse text that nobody reads anyway?
Considering the game is trying to sell itself on in-depth and compelling dialog, yes.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Tragedy said:
it's totally a WoW clone
further evidence that the term "WoW clone" has become meaningless in the world of MMO criticism. If you say "WoW clone" to every game with a hotbar, cooldowns, and vendors, you'll end up calling every MMO a WoW clone.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Korten12 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
That looked really boring. Why is it so hard for MMOs to make visually interesting combat?

2:50 onwards (shows enivroments and gameplay)
In all fairness, a lot of that is just good editing, but I think we all get that GW2 looks nice. I really don't understand why people see the need to get into different camps and bicker about it though.
Um, no, the gameplay of the attacks (mage summoing fire wall), rangers attack throwing fire isn't editing thats part of the gameplay.

None of the gameplay is editied.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
HellspawnCandy said:
I was gonna make this thread linking the leaked footage but it looks like it was taken down.
http://cs.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649 This was the leak

The game really doesn't exceed many expectations and just looked like another WoW clone. The dialogue is pretty unsubstantial and there's this one horrendously hilarious scene where three twi'leks attack the player and his droid. The combat is your usual spam buttons til they drop except the player seemed to be having a lot of trouble because he almost died every single fight he was in it seemed thus having to heal constantly(it was a meditate like ability that took 15 seconds) he used an ability that is exactly like the hearthstone and it was called fast travel, fast travelling instead of gryphons you're on speeders now. I'm sure many are going to just say what they always said, similar to I told you so. But if you go to the website you're gonna face huge amounts of people who can't wait to play this game. Please note though that this guy's character was still a lowbie, but this video was an hour and 30minutes long. The gear system is also the same as world of warcraft's. You get green/blue/purple colored gear with stats and you upgrade. This may be in testing, but so far Bioware is going down a similar road where they just want to make it simple and action packed so people will give them more money.
Honestly, the combat reminds me a lot of KOTOR but not turn based... I see no issues with this. The dialogue is okay, it's definitely not Mass Effect quality, but I feel it's comparable to KOTOR in some places.

I'm still looking forward to this.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Tragedy said:
My guess is that they aren't willing to take any chances with the combat, because swtor is a very expensive project and they have to make up for that. It's commendable that they are trying to build such a huge game and frankly i thought the combat would be much worse. It isn't as "choppy" as i thought it would be and there are no awkward pauses in between ability use. Otherwise, yeah, it's totally a yet-another-mmo, but maybe that's a good thing, we'll see.
My guess is that they arn't willing to make the game not look like KOTOR when it comes to combat, what were you expecting?

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Cavan said:
rsvp42 said:
Cavan said:
god am I bored of everybody with 3 braincells calling EVERYTHING a WoW clone as if WoW did everything first >_>.
Lol, I know. Play another game people. Expand your horizons :p
It's not just that, it's that established genre defining things have been forgotten because 'WoW made them popular', if a game has an ability bar it must automatically be WoW because nobody is smart enough to see beyond first impressions.

If a game has any hint of fantasy involved it was because WoW did it first,
If a game has group PvP or PvE it's because WoW made it so,
If a game has equipment to loot in different categories of power it must be WoW,
If a game has a crafting system or chat it is because WoW pioneered the system,
If a game has half its content unreleased because it's still in very early closed beta but still looks a little like WoW it MUST BE WOW OMG Y CNT U SEE DIS.
Saying that games are copying WoW in no way says that WoW was there first.

How are the games that WoW copied from doing now? Not 11 million subscribers is how they are doing. WoW clones copy from WoW because it does everything well, not because it was original or first and making the argument against that doesn't make the term WoW clone seem any less applicable to TOR.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Korten12 said:
Um, no, the gameplay of the attacks (mage summoing fire wall), rangers attack throwing fire isn't editing thats part of the gameplay.

I'm talking about the camera angles.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Korten12 said:

I'm talking about the camera angles.
Even with normal camera angles it looks great.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
rsvp42 said:
Tragedy said:
it's totally a WoW clone
further evidence that the term "WoW clone" has become meaningless in the world of MMO criticism. If you say "WoW clone" to every game with a hotbar, cooldowns, and vendors, you'll end up calling every MMO a WoW clone.
I edited my "mistake", but if you think about it MANY rpgs recently have taken the the mmo model which in turn is synonymous with WoW at the moment and it's just plain ignorance if you live in denial about that.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
bob1052 said:
How are the games that WoW copied from doing now? Not 11 million subscribers is how they are doing. WoW clones copy from WoW because it does everything well, not because it was original or first and making that argument doesn't make the term WoW clone seem any less applicable to TOR.
WoW took existing systems and refined them. That's what TOR is doing. "WoW-clone" becomes a meaningless term when you apply it to any and every MMO with a hotbar and cooldowns.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've played MMOs where your appearance doesn't change when you upgrade your gear. I've played MMOs where you craft your gear instead of it randomly dropping from enemies. I've played MMOs with first person shooter combat.

MMOs are not as uniform a genre as many people believe. There's a lot of difference between WoW and City of Heroes, or WoW and EVE Online, or WoW and Fallen Earth. A lot more difference than I'm seeing between WoW and SW:TOR.

Is it a bad thing? No, not inherently. I just feel that Bioware have had years of development time, tens of millions of dollars and one of the biggest name IPs there is, and the end result is looking decidedly, disapointingly unambitious.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Tragedy said:
I edited my "mistake", but if you think about it MANY rpgs recently have taken the the mmo model which in turn is synonymous with WoW at the moment and it's just plain ignorance if you live in denial about that.
I'm not in denial about the systems many games share, but nor do make the mistake of giving WoW all the credit for those systems. I was--and still am to a degree--a fan of WoW. My statements are not based on a lack of love for that game, they're based on the realities of the MMO genre.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I got a chance to actually play it at PAX East. It was a blast. Way more fun to play then to watch, and definitely way more fun to team up with people at higher levels.

I don't care what anyone else says, I'm looking forward to this game, big time.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
rsvp42 said:
bob1052 said:
How are the games that WoW copied from doing now? Not 11 million subscribers is how they are doing. WoW clones copy from WoW because it does everything well, not because it was original or first and making that argument doesn't make the term WoW clone seem any less applicable to TOR.
WoW took existing systems and refined them. That's what TOR is doing. "WoW-clone" becomes a meaningless term when you apply it to any and every MMO with a hotbar and cooldowns.
WoW has reached a point of polish that none of its predecessors have reached. You can't refine WoW's systems because from a technical standpoint WoW's systems are as refined as they can will be.

TOR is only doing 1 thing differently than WoW, and this is voicing the meaningless chatter you have with NPCs. WoW already voices all the important things so the meaningless chatter (which is very low quality if you watch the video) is the only thing TOR has to offer.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Sixcess said:
I've played MMOs where your appearance doesn't change when you upgrade your gear. I've played MMOs where you craft your gear instead of it randomly dropping from enemies. I've played MMOs with first person shooter combat.

MMOs are not as uniform a genre as many people believe. There's a lot of difference between WoW and City of Heroes, or WoW and EVE Online, or WoW and Fallen Earth. A lot more difference than I'm seeing between WoW and SW:TOR.

Is it a bad thing? No, not inherently. I just feel that Bioware have had years of development time, tens of millions of dollars and one of the biggest name IPs there is, and the end result is looking decidedly, disapointingly unambitious.
Fair enough. But an appearance tab and fps combat are not in and of themselves enough to make a successful and fun MMO. For the record, TOR does have crafting.

TOR is very much in the same vein as WoW, Rift, EQ, LotRO, etc. This in no way discredits it as a quality experience, as clearly that model has a lot of fans. Star Wars also has a lot of fans. Put the two together and you have a potent mix. TOR is not a revolution, not have I ever held it to be. However, it's story looks to be a creative solution to the mind-numbing bore that is quest text. And there's also too many other changes to list here. Go check out the main forums and look at the information threads and ask people about the game. You'll be able to find out anything you want to know.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I love how this thread derailed from expectations getting extremely high for a game that's trying to be too safe using a formula a successful MMO stole/created/upgraded/updated (whatever you want to say to help you rage less) to the definition of WoWclone. The fact is, is that Bioware lost their touch. Hell, SWG has been out for ages and it's only recently tried copying WoW and that game is a Star Wars based MMORPG so why did Bioware give up? Not all MMO's are the same, but the ones who just want to try and dethrone WoW seem to be.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Now that i've watched a bit more of the leaked video, i can say that i really love the overall graphics, the whole environment looks like a living painting and it's very beautiful.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Kimarous said:
HellspawnCandy said:
They've bragged and bragged and bragged and spent so much time and money on dialogue. I'm going to make the best cake ever, would you really believe that it'll be dirt on a plate?