Did biology screw over women?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Women have a faster reaction time to auditory stimuli.
Really? That's quite interesting as I don't like switching the sound off when I play games but a lot of my male friends just listen to music.

Kind of makes sense if it's true.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
Biology, only being concerned with creating/maintaining a successful species, did well in this case. This is evidenced by the fact that women aren't extinct or an endangered species. As for most of the other stuff, see above for societal restrictions and dangers imposed on women. Most of the replies above mine covered society's influence already.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
spartan231490 said:
Women have a faster reaction time to auditory stimuli.
Really? That's quite interesting as I don't like switching the sound off when I play games but a lot of my male friends just listen to music.

Kind of makes sense if it's true.
yeah, but men have a faster reaction to visual stimuli than women. It's been a while since I read the article, 2 years or something, but it was very in-depth. I don't remember the details very well, but they theorized that with practice the gap between men and women for visual stimuli would decrease, I can't remember why. Wonder if I can find the article again.
Looked it up, I can't find the article I was looking at and the ones I'm finding can't seem to agree on whether or not there even is a difference between male and female response time to visual stimuli, but in all of them men are slower at reacting to auditory response time than women.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I believe men do have "fanservice clothing" in terms of suits no? They magnify masculine features such as broad shoulders. And given the response to this young/old lady in a suit, I think people's fetish for crossdressing does work both ways:

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'll take your averages and throw out the commonly held belief (I've seen no rebuttal to it) that women, on average, have better pain tolerance.

And on that note, while I'm told a "c***-punt" is fairly painful (why did I ever have to write that), it doesn't result in the hysterics, howling and YouTube videos that a "nutcracker" gets, implying that men have a much more sensitive area susceptible to injury, meaning a desperate woman has a significant advantage in a fight against a male.

Plus, while childbirth sucks, I've read that a chemical reaction happens in the brain just before birth that skyrockets pain-tolerance. So biology saves women there.

There's always advantages AND disadvantages, for both genders. Biologically, I think they're pretty close to equal. (Not the same, mind you, but equal.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Women live longer. That alone trumps anything that could be said.
Do they really? You have to factor in factors such as "men generally take more risks" (not biological) and "men combat in war far more than women" (also not biological). If you timed the time-to-expiration of a man and woman who took care of their bodies and died of old age, you might find that their lifespans are closer than national statistics would have you believe.

From what I understand of how aging works, there's no inherent difference between men and women aging.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Actually I don't think large breasts = large penis when it comes to sexuality. it's probably something like large breasts = well defined abs.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
And here I thought it was men who was getting screwed over by biology.

I mean let's just take a look at our gender-chromosomes. Because we don't have two X-chromosomes we'll have to deal with stuff like colorblindness and other general genetic disadvantages.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
It ... is possible, actually for men to have multiple orgasms ...

But it takes a LOT of work and dicipline.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
One of the interesting trends in hominid evolution was an overall reduction in sexual dimorphism. Compared to most species on Earth, human men and women are very similar to each other.

If you want to see species where one sex was screwed over, you'd probably be better off looking outside of mammals altogether in favour of, say, spiders or anglerfish.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
-I heard the sex is better.
-The puberty thing might be true but women get much more support than men.
-If women want a date all they have to do is look pretty men need to make an effort and chances are you're gonna' fail. Hard.

"clear blue water"

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
theonewhois3 said:
Not particularly. Longer lifespans. Society did screw over women, though.
Actually, recent studies and statistical analysis show that, in first world countries at least, women are losing ground on the lifespan curve. http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/lifestyle/men-gaining-on-women-in-life-expectancy

Honestly, I don't invest much in gender politics anymore. We'll all end up transhumans at some point, where gender will be an obsolete concept 'cause we'll all be awesome cyborgs.

Here's the general forumula: Man =/= Woman, but Cyborg > Human. Now nobody is screwed over and we're all happy. Except the ones who refused to become cyborgs, like the Amish or some shit.

spartan231490 said:
Men have to live with the pain of getting hit in the nuts.
Wear a cup, problem easily solved, not really an issue.

Women are more flexible and have higher manual dexterity(on average).
That is/was a myth. This was disproved in the 90's. I'll see if I can dredge up the articles...

Women are better at multitasking.
ALSO a myth, humans in general are terrible at multitasking, except for rare individuals who seem to have no problem splitting their attention amongst different subjects without losing focus/productivity. Scientists are still baffled as to what allows these people to perform multiple duties at once, as far as I know.

Women have a faster reaction time to auditory stimuli. Men and women are very different, but if you really want to think about it in that way, men have just as many disadvantages(biologically) as women.
Can't comment on that one, have never reviewed any findings on auditory reaction time. Meh?
Wear a cup? You have obviously never worn a cup, they don't work that well. Besides, a cup is not a part of biology.

A quick google search will show you that women being more flexible than men is not a myth. I just spent 20 minutes looking and couldn't find a single article or page that contradicted it, and several quality sources that supported it.

Manual dexterity was interesting, the research shows that there are no significant gender differences when you eliminate finger size as a factor(use tweezers) but without tweezers women perform significantly better at dextrous tasks relating to manipulating small objects, and men do better when manipulating larger objects: http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=1996-06256-004
and if anything, that just supports what I said all the more, that men and women are different, with each having "advantages" and "disadvantages" if you want to think about it like that.

Women are better at multitasking, it's been shown by several studies, these two just for a start.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7896385/Scientists-prove-that-women-are-better-at-multitasking-than-men.html
http://clearinghouse.missouriwestern.edu/manuscripts/815.php
found that on several web-pages but they were all the same abstract, couldn't find anything else scientific on the subject.

And just like with the flexibility thing, a quick google search shows optimal evidence of women reacting faster to auditory stimuli than men, though it's much less clear about visual stimuli.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
antidonkey said:
Women can't accidentally sit on an ovary like a man can his testicles. So...that's a point in favor of women if you ask me. Plus they generally live longer.
Yeah, sucks for them! Oh wait, you're saying it's a good thing to outlive other people.

"pond life"

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Biology screwed over nothing. It's working as intended. If it wasn't working women wouldn't exist and something else would be in it's place. Stop trying to blame things for differences, accept them and move on. OP's title made me shout profantities at my screen because it is so fucking vapid.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Phasmal said:
theonewhois3 said:
Not particularly. Longer lifespans. Society did screw over women, though.
Yeah, that.

Also, women have a higher pain tolerance than men, generally.
Periods are no big deal anyway. You get used to them.
It does come off as a little patronising, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Being a lady is just swell.
If I had a choice I would not choose to be a dude.
I wouldn't say all periods are a big deal. Some people have it worse than others when it comes to periods.