Did every character in Rogue One actually need to have an arc?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
the Vader scene at the end. Although, while the Vader scene was cool, it fucks up what his character is in the original movies and even kinda what the force is there.
I don't know how that fucks up his character in the OT? How does it fuck up his character from the OT? The fact that he was more willing to kill people directly?

Though the thing with the Force is just what you're always going to get whenever you set a Star Wars story in the past. You're come up against the nerd question of "Why didn't they do that shit in Luke's day? Why did Old Ben fight like an old guy who didn't really know his way around a sword?" It's one reason I wish they would stop plundering the pre-Yavin eras for material, and just do new shit. Otherwise, they feel obligated to always make references to the OT, have things that connect back to it, no matter how heavy handed it is to shoehorn it in. And for R1, an entire film about a single plot point that the fans blew WAY out of proportion, that they felt they needed an entire damn film just to shut them up.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know how that fucks up his character in the OT? How does it fuck up his character from the OT? The fact that he was more willing to kill people directly?

Though the thing with the Force is just what you're always going to get whenever you set a Star Wars story in the past. You're come up against the nerd question of "Why didn't they do that shit in Luke's day? Why did Old Ben fight like an old guy who didn't really know his way around a sword?" It's one reason I wish they would stop plundering the pre-Yavin eras for material, and just do new shit. Otherwise, they feel obligated to always make references to the OT, have things that connect back to it, no matter how heavy handed it is to shoehorn it in. And for R1, an entire film about a single plot point that the fans blew WAY out of proportion, that they felt they needed an entire damn film just to shut them up.
I meant cannon, not character. Like it totally defeats the purpose of them pretending to be a diplomatic ship if it just escaped from Vader and he watched it. Plus if the force is suddenly much more powerful then why isn't he grabbing the guy with the card? It's cool that they made him as scary as a slasher movie villain, but for as scary as they made him, they also made him less efficient and if there is one thing you should be its efficient.