Did HBO Drop A Major Spoiler with The Latest Game of Thrones Casting News?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Azahul said:
I really question whether anyone actually though Jon Snow had died at the end of A Dance with Dragons. There's just been so much foreshadowing for the aforementioned "son of Rhaegar and Lyanna" stuff that I can't see any writer letting go of that narrative.
He will because he just loves to troll people, and having his audience be right for once is an anathema to him

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Just because the option is in a contract to do more work doesn't mean that option will be used. From what I was reading yesterday the core cast (thus far) had their contracts extended just in case they were needed in a possible season seven. Even if their character dies before the end of the series they could still be brought back for flash backs much like how Tywin will be appearing in this upcoming season despite getting it at the end of the prior season.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
Shinkicker444 said:
Azahul said:
I really question whether anyone actually though Jon Snow had died at the end of A Dance with Dragons. There's just been so much foreshadowing for the aforementioned "son of Rhaegar and Lyanna" stuff that I can't see any writer letting go of that narrative.
He will because he just loves to troll people, and having his audience be right for once is an anathema to him
Except he's stated emphatically in interviews that he has no desire to replicate a 'Lost' ending where his story deviates too far from what fans have come to expect and want. Since I'm pretty sure there isn't a fan out there who doesn't want and expect Jon Snow to live on in some way, shape or form, I'd be astonished if GRRM didn't show restraint.

He can be trollish but I think it's just a side-effect of him wanting to tell a story with real stakes, where no-one appears to be too plot-armorer. I say appears because some characters he just can't afford to kill without alienating his audience.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
You wanna know what's the biggest spoiler of Game of Thrones?

Reading the actual books.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Redflash said:
Shinkicker444 said:
Azahul said:
Except he's stated emphatically in interviews that he has no desire to replicate a 'Lost' ending where his story deviates too far from what fans have come to expect and want. Since I'm pretty sure there isn't a fan out there who doesn't want and expect Jon Snow to live on in some way, shape or form, I'd be astonished if GRRM didn't show restraint.

He can be trollish but I think it's just a side-effect of him wanting to tell a story with real stakes, where no-one appears to be too plot-armorer. I say appears because some characters he just can't afford to kill without alienating his audience.
I've heard that to, but I'll believe it when I see it - as in when I close the back cover of the last book. A few of the things in last couple of books were, to me, less upping the stakes and more drama and complexity for the sake of drama and complexity, which I find immensely irritating - it's why I don't bother watching much TV anymore (well other than the fact it's full of reality TV bullcrud). I just want to start seeing some closure to all the extraneous plot threads, and bring the focus on Other's so they can do their thing.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Braedan said:
Obviously here be dragons (or if you follow the show, there may be at some possible point in the undetermined future be a slight chance of dragons after they finish eating)

At the point mentioned in the article the line goes: '"Ghost," he whispered. Pain washed over him. Stick them with the pointy end. When the third dagger took him between the shoulder blades, he gave a grunt and fell face first into the snow. He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold....'

I think it's pretty obvious that he jumps into his wolf right before he dies, similar to the way the other warg does with his bird.
This may be the likely outcome for the book at least,
plus Melisandre had been telling him about "knives in the dark" and "I can save you if you let me" and that night before the moot she told him "the knives are close now, keep your wolf close".

So I'm betting he slips into Ghost and she resurrects his body somehow (which would make him hard to kill in the future as he is already dead) or maybe finds him a new one and gives it a glamour so he looks the same as he did before to everyone else instead of his new "donor" appearance, he won't be "broken" though like Ser Berric or Lady Stoneheart because he would have been inside Ghost he never "went beyond" as thats apparently what changes resurrected people according to Melisandre. That magic seems to be similar to the force that brings the White Walkers Ghouls back and damages them as they remember their lives and who they where and the things they knew to a certain extent.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
considering where the series are now they are likely going to have enough book material for more than the next season (btw im really waiting for next one having read the books). this casting does not look terrible imo. Also its worth remmebering that the actor that it spoils could very well be used in flashbacks/ect too. just because it singned for next season does not mean its going to be a main character.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Strazdas said:
considering where the series are now they are likely going to have enough book material for more than the next season (btw im really waiting for next one having read the books). this casting does not look terrible imo. Also its worth remmebering that the actor that it spoils could very well be used in flashbacks/ect too. just because it singned for next season does not mean its going to be a main character.
Certainly, flashbacks or they may become whitewalkers themselves. Some crazy stuff can happen.