Did Magneto Kill JFK? The Bent Bullet Spreads Video Truth

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Did Magneto Kill JFK? The Bent Bullet Spreads Video Truth

X-Men: Days of Future Past opens fire with a new conspiracy theory video.

So who really did shoot JFK? Was Lee Harvey Oswald a lone gunman, or did he have mutant help? What was Magneto doing on that grassy knoll? Has the infamous mutant leader been falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit? The Bent Bullet knows, so take a look at its video and ask yourself whether Erik Lehnsherr could really be involved in the most famous political assassination in American history.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is on its way in 2014, but before it can get here there's some world building to do. The Bent Bullet takes up where X-Men: First Class left off; Magneto splits from Xavier's group, and founds the Brotherhood of Mutants. The FBI don't like the look of this at all, and neither do the politicians. "Now I hear whispers about a new threat," claims an influential right-wing agitator, "more dangerous than any nuclear weapon."

Shortly after that speech, the agitator is shot dead, by Lee Harvey at Lehnsherr's instigation. Thus begins 1963's Summer of Hate, and Azazel and Tempest are soon among the fallen. But does it end with the Kennedy killing, or was Lehnsherr framed?

"I did not shoot your president," Magneto is supposed to have told the jury. "But I know who did, and you'll never find her. She has a way of hiding in plain sight."

No doubt more revelations are on their way, but if you want a dose of fake Kennedy conspiracy nuttery right now, check out The Bent Bullet [http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/home].

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/11/xmen-days-of-future-past-kennedy-magneto/]

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
FREE MAGNETO!
Magneto was framed! Cia murdered JFK! JFK was a false-flag operation! Fight the system!

Sorry about that.
So, according to the site, Magneto has been in prison ever since that day?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
If Magneto wanted to murder the president why would he have gone about it like that?

Eiher he would have been far more sneaky and made it look like an accident (why use a gunman at all?)

Or make it super-obvious by dropping a safe on him to show how the mutants shouldn't be messed with.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Lieju said:
Or make it super-obvious by dropping a safe on him to show how the mutants shouldn't be messed with.
That would be great! X-Men plus JFK assassination by way of Warner Bros.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Lieju said:
If Magneto wanted to murder the president why would he have gone about it like that?

Eiher he would have been far more sneaky and made it look like an accident (why use a gunman at all?)

You're right. He wouldn't have done it like that. He has magnetic powers, Mystique can shape-shift, and Azazel can teleport. Magneto has no reason to do anything out in public or in front of cameras.

The only reason I can think of for him to be involved in Dealey Plaza that day is he wanted to be caught and imprisoned. The government wouldn't be able to prove 100% that he did anything, but he'd be very suspicious. Maybe he wanted to be a martyr or symbol to rally other mutants(and maybe sympathizers) against the government and anti-mutant groups.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Spaceman Spiff said:
Lieju said:

You're right. He wouldn't have done it like that. He has magnetic powers, Mystique can shape-shift, and Azazel can teleport. Magneto has no reason to do anything out in public or in front of cameras.

The only reason I can think of for him to be involved in Dealey Plaza that day is he wanted to be caught and imprisoned. The government wouldn't be able to prove 100% that he did anything, but he'd be very suspicious. Maybe he wanted to be a martyr or symbol to rally other mutants(and maybe sympathizers) against the government and anti-mutant groups.
I'll do you one better.

Having read just about everything on the website, it's pretty obvious that, shall we say, Oswald was not the assassin. Just someone who looked very like him. Someone who is very good at looking like other people...

And I'm pretty sure that Magneto was there to stop her. Why do you think the first bullet missed?

(I haven't quite figured out the Jack Ruby connection. Sounds like Xavier may have been involved, but if so I can't grasp his motives.)

Anyway, the article seems to imply that Magneto has been in jail since the events of the Kennedy assassination, which mildly contradicts X1,2&3. If I had to guess, this article was 'written' either between X1&2, or before X1. Magneto then escaped shortly before X1, and then again on-screen during X2. (I tend to ignore that X3 even exists.)

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Spaceman Spiff said:
He could have been there just as a spectator.

And he might have tried to stop the assasination, either he knew about it beforehand, or just happened to be there.

Maybe he even WAS involved in the shooting, but the plan was that the shooter would be a human and that a mutant would save the president.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
The_Darkness said:
I'll do you one better.

Having read just about everything on the website, it's pretty obvious that, shall we say, Oswald was not the assassin. Just someone who looked very like him. Someone who is very good at looking like other people...

And I'm pretty sure that Magneto was there to stop her. Why do you think the first bullet missed?

(I haven't quite figured out the Jack Ruby connection. Sounds like Xavier may have been involved, but if so I can't grasp his motives.)

Anyway, the article seems to imply that Magneto has been in jail since the events of the Kennedy assassination, which mildly contradicts X1,2&3. If I had to guess, this article was 'written' either between X1&2, or before X1. Magneto then escaped shortly before X1, and then again on-screen during X2. (I tend to ignore that X3 even exists.)
Now that you mention it, there was a part of one of the other trailers that looked like Erik and Raven having a confrontation. I could very well be that he was there to stop her, but failed and was falsely accused and imprisoned.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more plot holes in the X-men series when this comes out.

Lieju said:
He could have been there just as a spectator.

And he might have tried to stop the assasination, either he knew about it beforehand, or just happened to be there.

Maybe he even WAS involved in the shooting, but the plan was that the shooter would be a human and that a mutant would save the president.
That seems likely. Maybe they were going to frame a human for an assassination attempt and make a hero out of a mutant for saving JFK, but something goes wrong. Maybe there was a second, unanticipated shooter, or the shooter(mutant disguised as a known human) goes rogue and Magento can't save the day.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
The_Darkness said:

Yeah, I'm in the same ballpark. The video that you can watch on the website specifically states that the first bullet traveled at an angled trajectory, thus missing the target completely. The second did this weird curving thing, where it bounced all over the place, hitting the president and the governor in weird trajectories, just like in the real world "Magic bullet" conspiracy. The third one beelined straight for JFK's head and struck true, killing the president. At the same time Magneto was witnessed concentrating like someone dealing with some serious bowel obstruction.

Based on those little tidbits, we're probably supposed to conclude that Magneto was trying to bend away the bullets, succeeded with the first, struggled with the second and couldn't latch onto the third.

Edit: There was also something about that JFK was about to hold a speech where he was hinting that mutants exist and that America should embrace them, for the betterment of the country. Sounds like you'd want to keep a guy like that around, if you were a mutant.

Instead the death of the president revealed the existence of mutants in a much more negative light, setting the stage up for anti-mutant sentiments.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is enough spoilers that i'll now go into hiding till the movie comes out, but this is so cool looking I cannot wait!

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Spaceman Spiff said:
The_Darkness said:
I'll do you one better.

Now that you mention it, there was a part of one of the other trailers that looked like Erik and Raven having a confrontation. I could very well be that he was there to stop her, but failed and was falsely accused and imprisoned.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more plot holes in the X-men series when this comes out.
Things like that are not really plot holes when the main theme of the movie is time travel.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Wow, just wow. The marketing for this movie is amazing. Definitely hyped, I just hope it can live up to expectations.

As for the article, I've always enjoyed alternate history and this is one of the better works I've come across. It ties reality and the Days of Future Past's backstory (as much as I know anyway) together pretty much seamlessly: it's definitely worth a read - though I had to stop at the Seagle part for a bit. Internment camps, segregation, and essentially slave collars; even though I know it's all fictional, that all just made me angry and sad. The site's music didn't help any.

The only part I don't understand is how Ruby fits into this and how his cancer was significant.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Sure, Xavier puts the thought into one guy's mind as a prank, and now look what happens...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
kael013 said:
Wow, just wow. The marketing for this movie is amazing. Definitely hyped, I just hope it can live up to expectations.

As for the article, I've always enjoyed alternate history and this is one of the better works I've come across. It ties reality and the Days of Future Past's backstory (as much as I know anyway) together pretty much seamlessly: it's definitely worth a read - though I had to stop at the Seagle part for a bit. Internment camps, segregation, and essentially slave collars; even though I know it's all fictional, that all just made me angry and sad. The site's music didn't help any.

The only part I don't understand is how Ruby fits into this and how his cancer was significant.
Kelly Seagle gave me pause for thought as well. Note that we aren't told what her threat level is - for all we know, she could explode like a nuke if someone pokes her too sharply, in which case containment might be justified - but the picture painted by those few short words was not pretty. (Aside - some brief google-fu reveals that Kelly Seagle is named after a pair of authors who wrote Rogue for a while.)

Jack Ruby - the cancer allegation is real history, believe it or not. However, Jack Ruby's frame of mind - "How did I get here, I don't even remember being arrested" - to the best of my knowledge, isn't part of Real World history. It's that which makes me think Xavier is involved somehow, but Xavier being responsible for Ruby shooting Oswell just doesn't feel right (especially when the between-the-lines implication is that Oswell was innocent).

So my theory at the moment is:

Azazel and Tempest ambush the CIA Project WideAwake personnel. WideAwake doesn't seem to have been particularly anti-mutant, so this is a rather bad move on Azazel and Tempest's behalf - although they don't exactly live to regret it...

Mystique, to avenge Azazel and Tempest's deaths, resolves to assassinate JFK by impersonating Oswell. Oswell was previously hired by the Brotherhood to kill Partridge, which is probably why Mystique chose him.

Magneto finds out about Mystique's plan, realises that it's a really bad idea, and attempts to stop her. Unfortunately, he doesn't know where she's going to be shooting from, hence why he's forced to wait on the grassy knoll until the attack happens. He successfully deflects the first shot, but Mystique manages to thread the second and third shots through Erik's magnetic fields.

After that... I can't really account for Magneto's phone call to the hospital, so I'd have to guess that was Mystique attempting to frame him. Mystique also leads the police to Oswell by murdering a police officer while 'dressed' as Oswell, and then ducking into a cinema where the real Oswell is waiting.
A few days later, Magneto turns himself in - possibly at Xavier's urging if the two are still in touch - to try and prove himself innocent, but (somewhat predictably) finds himself to be the target of a witch hunt. It doesn't help that he's seemingly unwilling to reveal Mystique's involvement.

All of this points toward a fairly major falling out between Mystique and Magneto. It's kind of impressive that they're willing to work together a few decades later.
(Then again, I'm wondering whether time-travel shenanigans will mean that all this didn't happen in the history to X1.)

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
It was Magneto's eviler twin from an alternate universe where his name is pronounced with a short 'e' sound and not a long 'ee' sound.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
we gone full circle, Comics are once again being blamed for shooting president.

Lieju said:

Really?
Magneto was never known for its subtlety.

ccdohl said:
Isn't lead nonmagnetic? Magneto can't do anything with lead because it doesn't have any magnetic properties so, unless the bullet was something other than lead, this doesn't make sense, and the scene where he stops all the bullets in the first movie is wrong too.

Does anyone know if the bullet was lead or not?
LEad is nonmagnetic, however sometimes other materials are combined in it
- Copper
- Silver
- Steel (Stainless Steel)
- Iron
- Tungsten
COnsidering we know Magneto can control even untracable amounts of iron insode human body and make it "bleed out", he was likely focusing on something like that, which also explains the not perfect copntrol.