Did MGS V satisfy you? [SPOILERS]

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I suggest you only read this if you've finished the game. Seriously HEAVY spoilers for all of the game.

It didn't satisfy me at all. This was Kojima's chance to show us how the series went from Peace Walker to the first games. And we didn't see that at all. My feelings on the game can be summed up with it was awesome but disappointing too. Hideo sacrificed SO much just so we could do the same side op over and over again.
If I had to make a list of things that I wanted to see it would look like this.

Young versions of Gray Fox, Solid and Solidus. Where were they? Does Kojima derive sexual pleasure from ignoring the fans when they ask for something on Gray Fox.

I know we got to see Liquid and he was a little shit and that's great, but Venom Snake didn't even fucking talk to him. He just beat him up a few times. I'd like to have gotten to know a bit more about his character.

Boss Fights. There were two in the whole game. Maybe three if you count the time the burning man chased your around the hospital, toasting you bumb whilst you ran away giggling. The Skull's don't count as boss fights, they are just an elite enemy type. The previous metal gears had fantastic Bosses like The Fear, the Fury, Vulcan raven, Sniper Wolf, screaming mantis. Admittedly Quiet and Sahalanthropus were great but two isn't enough. I know Skull face dying early and not having a boss fight is supposed to give you a sense of phantom pain, but its more of a phantom annoyance than pain.

An inside to mother base. It felt a bit weird and too 'video gamey' to just see Miller and Ocelot disappear into nothingness after cutscenes. It would've been good to go into small interior areas and at the very least see them doing something mother basey, like you could do with Huey.

Actually play as Snake. Kiefer Sutherland as Snake was utter bollocks, yes he has a nice gravelly voice and is a talented man but he isn't snake. Don't go saying well it works because you aren't playing as Snake. Its established kiefer played both venom snake and bigboss as he's in the truth casettes and ground zeroes. Plus Hideo didn't change the Japanese va for Snake so it was just a stupid move on hideo's part.
I've heard that you playing as Venom Snake and Big Boss sending you a tape saying "thanks for being my m8 and pls carry on my legacy, by the way my son is on his way to murder you" is Hideo's way of thanking us for supporting the series. But the thing is if I fly to Japan smash Hideo's car up and leave him a little note saying "thanks Hideo I like your games" he may appreciate the note but the fact remains his car is ruined. Same with us and Metal Gear V.
I'd be really unhappy if I found out that the reason for Snake being basically mute was that Kiefer was just an expensive guy to hire. Robin Atkin Downs (Miller) was the best voice actor in the game. Leagues better than Kiefer, he had tons more dialogue than Kiefer and was apparently cheaper. Kiefer was just a stupid stupid idea no disrespect to them man though he's a great actor. Yes I am very butt hurt over no Daivd Hayter.

Some stuff I just found disappointing was:-

Quiet
I was a fan of the Quiet is Chico theory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DtyqOX2L8 Now that would have been dark as and edgy as Hideo promised the game would be. Instead Quiet is literally just some random sexy girl, with no significance to anything else in metal gear. When Hideo said we'd be ashamed for popping a boner over quiet, we would all have actually felt shame if she was the little boy we rescued back in costa rica. Instead she's literally just wank fuel.

Cassettes instead of a codec. Just why?! even if it was MGS 1 style static anime faces with talking it would have been enough.

Mother Base was a regular sausage fest. I'm not complaining from an SJW point of view. I understand there are very few women who would want to fight in a PMC and live on an oil rig in the middle of the sea with a lot of sweaty hairy men. And yeah there were playable women soldiers but, I'd have liked a girl to just have around and about. Like that French bird from peace walker, she's still alive I think. Paz not being real really crapped on my day.

No mission 51. Just youtube MGS V mission 51. It would have sorted out the fucking shambles that was Liquid and psycho mantis' disappearance with sahalanthropus.

Battle Gear. What the fuck was it? How do you use it? Is it just for multiplayer?

MGS V was a fantastic game but it wasn't what Kojima promised us it would be. I honestly blame Kojima for most of the things that are missing from the game. He should have included Solid and Gray Fox, or at the very least shown us how Big Boss became a villain. Instead we got Big Boss' border line mute buddy running around the same area doing the same stuff over and over again.
As a metal Gear game goes its only ok. But its still a stellar game 9/10 in my opinion just because the gameplay was so good, the music so tasteful and Quarantine platform mission was so emotional. I just think there needs to be a phantom pain 2 where you actually see outer heaven get set up.

al4674

May 27, 2011
I was unsatisfied, because the game lacked a buildup to the ultimate climax. Skull Face's death was too sudden and abrupt. I didn't even realize that the game had more or less reached its end and at that point I felt the story hadn't even started. I understand the game continues, but the overall plot has ended at this point and what follows after Skull Face's death can more accurately be considered an epilogue.

The pacing sucks too. After rescuing code talker, I expected a bit more exposition but then suddenly, I'm already fighting Sahelantropus. I can't process it this fast and after Skull Face was dead, I was like ''Is this it?''.

I felt the game was a rather repetitive as well. It's very easy to burn out, when the game expects you to do the same mission 15 times over. Despite the incremental increase in difficulty, you'll eventually get bored and instead of playing stealthly, you begin to play efficiently - I'd rather air-strike the heavy soldiers and kill them in 1 min, than spend 5 minutes taking them out with stealth.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
I'll start by saying that I like the game overall, the story is just disappointing, which is extra annoying since Metal Gear games are often driven by their story. MGS 4 had too many cutscenes and too little gameplay after chapter 2, MGSV has the opposite, too few cutscenes and too many large gameplay segments in between.

I do feel the need to dispute the OP on a couple points and clarify some others. The lack of Snake dialogue was likely not due to how expensive Kiefer was, the Japanese VA got just as few lines. Kojima said the lack of dialogue was on purpose and supposed to show how traumatized Snake was by everything and how weary his character was. That doesn't excuse the total lack of dialogue in scenes where he should be speaking, Snake gets quite a few lines in the tapes, but like you said those just aren't as good as the previous game's codec calls because they are just so divorced from the rest of the game. The idea was to listen to them while you play the game since you don't have to remain in the menu while playing, but I usually just end up in the menu anyway because I want to concentrate on either the game or the tapes, not both at the same time.

The Battle gear also isn't for multiplayer, its an asset that gets used by your combat deployment team on dispatch missions. Which yeah, is still pretty lame, in a game with so few cutscenes, they waste scenes that talk up this hover tank and it just ends up being an icon on a menu screen when you go to deploy troops for extra resources.

Quiet, I don't know if I would have really liked the Chico theory being true or not, either way her clothes look stupid, Raiden's cyborg chin in 4 looked stupid too, but nobody tells me I'm being a prude or an "sjw" when I say that. The explanation for her powers is also flimsy as hell and only works if you have no idea how photosynthesis or loose fitting clothes work, also the fire burning just her lungs and digestive system was awfully convenient, I'm not saying she should look like skullface, but give her a scar or something, you can still look sexy with scars. In the end, her biggest issue is that the mother base parasite infection only really happens because Quiet is too stupid to pick up a pen, she proves in a previous cutscene that she'll almost stab a guy a who's infected, and can likely detect infection in others, but makes no effort to warn Snake about what the hell is going on. She's supposed to be a professional soldier/assassin, she almost kills you at the beginning of the game, but afterwards it seems like the parasites affected her brain or something because she seems to have lost her ability to write, and lost all common sense to not realize she could still relay information through code talker.

I get the no speaking thing is supposed to be dramatic, but when a lack of common sense causes the deaths of a number of my base personnel to try and tug at my heart strings with a dramatic set piece, it kind of ruins the impact when you realize she could have stopped it if she didn't have the IQ of a baked potato.

Boss fights were also non-existent, nothing like the previous games, sehalanthrapus and Quiet were good, but in a game with this much gameplay I expect more that 2 real boss battles and a sort of boss battle against the man of fire. Once Skullface dies the game just kind of meanders around without any good plot hooks, they could have set up Cipher as a great chapter 2 enemy, but at that point it was obvious they had run out of time and were just throwing missions together to pad out time until the ending.

The twist didn't bother me too much, if we knew this wasn't the end, but this is the last Kojima Metal Gear game, so the rushed ending will probably never get a satisfying followup, its KOTOR 2 all over again. The twist just sort of answers a question that nobody was asking: "how did big boss survive dying at the end of MG 1" and answered it with the boss in 1 not being the real big boss.

Overall, I still like the game, the gameplay is fun, the story is just disappointing, and its not like its the worst story ever, just kind of sparse and lame for Metal Gear's last entry. It's kind of weird to think the last Metal Gear game will be better known for its gameplay than its story.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Initially it satisfied me greatly, but as the game went on, the trips from battlefield to Mother Base and back to battlefield getting more monotonous, and with the story failing to break through in any way, it eventually got replaced by exhaustion and disinterest. The action gameplay was better than it ever was, and the enemy A.I was superb, but it just didn't have that driving force the previous (good) Metal Gear's had.

The fact that you had open maps laid bare before you and you could go everywhere from the start meant the game held very little to surprise you level wise. In the previous games, because they were linear, you would reach a new area and it would feel fresh and somewhat exciting to see what it had in store. There's a couple of great sections in MGSV, like the large mansion in Africa, and the base where you extract Huey, but there are precious few of them. 90% of the areas are the similar but different military outposts. And I was quite disappointed in the Africa map, because from very early footage that first showed Quiet in action, it made it look like this map would differ greatly from Afghanistan. It showed dense jungles and and caverns, but ultimately it was just Afghanistan with more trees.

And the story was handled badly. There was hardly any in-the-moment narrative, you just did a mission and returned to Mother Base to get a cutscene, then go do a mission and return to Mother Base for more story. It just didn't flow worth a damn. Not that I'd probably want more story now that I know what it's all about. It looks like another MGS2 case where it's apparently Kojima's brilliant artistic intent for the player not to play the character they actual want to play, with it this time being something that bites them in the ass at the end.

A lot of the Boss encounters were also frustrating as hell. I recently did Quiet's final bit with all the tanks, and it got fucking annoying. There's also nothing that indicates you're about to take on an army of tanks before you start, so if you don't have a proper rocket launcer (the one Quiet gives you sucks), have fun supply dropping one in the middle of that chaos. And for some stupid reason you can't even return to the ACC once that mission is activated, it just locks you into the mission, with the only option being to restart and supply drop all the shit you need for those tanks one piece at a time.

Anyway, there's definitely a lot of polish and quality to this game, and it's certainly better than fucking MGS4, but there's just very little of that Metal Gear energy present. It's like the game itself is tired.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
From a gameplay perspective, yes it satisfied me completely, which is something previous Metal Gears had not done. Amazing controls, no more rigid movement, using items felt more intuitive. I really enjoyed playing it, which was the most important factor for me personally.

Story wise, it was kinda disappointing, but I've never been too invested in the crazy story surrounding Metal Gear in the first place. I will say that the story did not feel necessary at all, especially when Venom Snake and all of Diamond Dogs were one big distraction for the real Big Boss. Which by the way, is a neat twist, even if it sucks you aren't playing as the real Big Boss. It actually made me feel manipulated, which is a very big theme of the Metal Gear games, so I gotta give props to Kojima on that one.

My only big problem with the game was chapter 2. Having to redo missions with certain challenges was not fun. It was weird you had to return to Mother Base to continue the story, while most of the missions were just challenges. Chapter 2 made the game feel like it overstayed its welcome, and that always lowers the quality of a game in my eyes.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
verdant monkai said:
I know we got to see Liquid and he was a little shit and that's great, but Venom Snake didn't even fucking talk to him. He just beat him up a few times. I'd like to have gotten to know a bit more about his character.
They talked a lot in Mission 51, which was cut from the game because reasons.

verdant monkai said:
Boss Fights. There were two in the whole game. Maybe three if you count the time the burning man chased your around the hospital, toasting you bumb whilst you ran away giggling. The Skull's don't count as boss fights, they are just an elite enemy type. The previous metal gears had fantastic Bosses like The Fear, the Fury, Vulcan raven, Sniper Wolf, screaming mantis. Admittedly Quiet and Sahalanthropus were great but two isn't enough. I know Skull face dying early and not having a boss fight is supposed to give you a sense of phantom pain, but its more of a phantom annoyance than pain.
The Eli\Sahalanthropus boss battle was cut from the game. But to be honest, I always hated the gimmicky boss battles of MGS1-4. Phantom Pain is a lot like Peace Walker. Bosses that require no fiddly gimmicks, but can be beaten by running around in circles and firing missiles that conveniently get resupplied by supply drops.[/quote]

verdant monkai said:
Actually play as Snake. Kiefer Sutherland as Snake was utter bollocks, yes he has a nice gravelly voice and is a talented man but he isn't snake.
Matter of taste. I thought Kiefer did an excellent job. Flawless delivery.

verdant monkai said:
Instead Quiet is literally just some random sexy girl, with no significance to anything else in metal gear.
You could say the same of Skull Face's significance to Metal Gear. Phantom Pain is a game where the events don't really amount to much because they're erased from history.

verdant monkai said:
Cassettes instead of a codec. Just why?! even if it was MGS 1 style static anime faces with talking it would have been enough.
Because Peace Walker. Codec always bogged down the MGS games. Phantom Pain takes the tapes from Peace Walker and then allows you to listen to them on the go instead of having to use a dedicated menu.

verdant monkai said:
Battle Gear. What the fuck was it? How do you use it? Is it just for multiplayer?
Was intended as a buddy, but was cut and is used for Combat Deployment stuff. (Ofscreen. Joy.)

Hero of Lime said:
My only big problem with the game was chapter 2. Having to redo missions with certain challenges was not fun. It was weird you had to return to Mother Base to continue the story, while most of the missions were just challenges. Chapter 2 made the game feel like it overstayed its welcome, and that always lowers the quality of a game in my eyes.
You didn't have to do any of those missions, though. I dunno why people think they have to. If it doesn't have a yellow dot next to it, it isn't mandatory.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
MGS5 is one of the best games I ever played, a genuine master-class of game-design polished to an almost obsessive-compulsive degree but yeah, it isn't without its problems. I think the primary reason for this is that the original planning for MGS5 was much more episodic in nature. I mean, I would have been fine with Phantom Pain ending with chapter 1 and then chapter 2 being released a year after(and chapter 3 a year after that). It would have given the team more breathing room to match the quality of chapter 1 and implement all the ideas they had to cut from the game. As it is now chapter 2 kind of wanders off and feels unsatisfying. A chapter 3 should have ended somewhere where operation intrude began to really make the series come full circle.

Chapter 2 is probably the moment where the relationship between Kojima and Konami deteriorated as you can just see the budget shrinking(rehashed missions, cheap close-ups of characters to obfuscate more lively scenes, story relegated to cassette tapes(instead of just adding meat to it like in chapter 1) and an entire missing chapter that was already in production before Konami pulled the plug,

I would love to see/read a post-mortem about MGS5 b/c what we know about the situation with Konami and the way the game itself turned out, MGS5 had quite a troubled development somewhere halfway. To be honest I think its a miracle we have gotten the game at all. :p

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
so if you don't have a proper rocket launcer (the one Quiet gives you sucks), have fun supply dropping one in the middle of that chaos. And for some stupid reason you can't even return to the ACC once that mission is activated, it just locks you into the mission, with the only option being to restart and supply drop all the shit you need for those tanks one piece at a time.
I only brought non-lethal stuff, in fact it was the only mission in the game where I thought "Capture Quiet? Well, might as well not make any sound myself, hurr hurr, I'll try to be REALLY sneaky on this one". Well, shit.

OT: The story really was ass, even Big Boss being that nice to Huey after the fact that all that went wrong was single handedly his fault really showed that he was still the same Big Boss from 3 and PW, it is still unjustified that he goes from Jesus that cant do anything bad to a guy that wants children soldiers to then send them to their deaths.

Where is the demon, Snake?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gameplay is amazing. But I'm a die-hard fan of the series. I can't separate the story from gameplay. And after that ending I can't even touch the game anymore. I tried. But I feel no connection to this character at all. He's a silent protagonist pretending that he's not. He's an empty shell without a personality of his own. I don't want to sneak around and capture outposts as him. I tried. It's not satisfying at all. I want to play as Big Boss. That's what was promised to me. That's what I thought I was doing the whole time.
I actually feel scammed now.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
josemlopes said:
OT: The story really was ass, even Big Boss being that nice to Huey after the fact that all that went wrong was single handedly his fault really showed that he was still the same Big Boss from 3 and PW, it is still unjustified that he goes from Jesus that cant do anything bad to a guy that wants children soldiers to then send them to their deaths.

Where is the demon, Snake?
Big Boss was a full blown villain by the end of Peace Walker. He only seemed heroic because you were playing from his point of view, but consider everything that happened during that game.

Adam Jensen said:
Gameplay is amazing. But I'm a die-hard fan of the series. I can't separate the story from gameplay. And after that ending I can't even touch the game anymore. I tried. But I feel no connection to this character at all. He's a silent protagonist pretending that he's not. He's an empty shell without a personality of his own. I don't want to sneak around and capture outposts as him. I tried. It's not satisfying at all. I want to play as Big Boss. That's what was promised to me. That's what I thought I was doing the whole time.
I actually feel scammed now.
The point the game made is that anyone can be Big Boss if they went through the same experiences as he did. It's basically a rehash of MGS2's message, except it actually worked this time because Raiden rejected Solid Snake's meme. In essence the game is saying that you are Big Boss, not the character you control.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
The point the game made is that anyone can be Big Boss if they went through the same experiences as he did. It's basically a rehash of MGS2's message, except it actually worked this time because Raiden rejected Solid Snake's meme. In essence the game is saying that you are Big Boss, not the character you control.
I don't care who gets to use the title Big Boss. I care about the character behind the title. I don't care if he started calling himself the Pink Unicorn. In that case I'd want to play as Pink Unicorn. IN OTHER WORDS, I wanted to play as the character who went through the events of Snake Eater and Peace Walker. Not some almost mute hypnotized nobody.

I actually understand the ending. And I understand that each player can decide whether they like being tricked into thinking that they're Big Boss while he's out there somewhere, building his nation. I simply chose not to like it. But there is no right or wrong answer here objectively. So in a way, Kojima succeed in everything he wanted to achieve with this ending. And I fully understand that. But I don't have to like the consequences. It's my choice. And it's just as right as the choice to like it. For me it ruined the entire experience. But at the same time it didn't ruin the franchise for me because I can use this ending as an excuse for why the game doesn't really feel like an MGS game. And there's a small comfort in that.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Big Boss was a full blown villain by the end of Peace Walker. He only seemed heroic because you were playing from his point of view, but consider everything that happened during that game.
Saving little kids from being interrogated/killed, feeling remorse when Paz fucked up and died whilst trying to kill him and stopping a lunatic from blasting the whole of the U.S with Nukes? Oh yeah mate he was fucking dreadful.

He even tries to save Paz when she popped up again in Ground Zeroes, despite the fact she betrayed motherbase. So come on thats a pretty limp theory.

Adam Jensen said:
I don't care who gets to use the title Big Boss. I care about the character behind the title. I don't care if he started calling himself the Pink Unicorn. In that case I'd want to play as Pink Unicorn. IN OTHER WORDS, I wanted to play as the character who went through the events of Snake Eater and Peace Walker. Not some almost mute hypnotized nobody.

I actually understand the ending. And I understand that each player can decide whether they like being tricked into thinking that they're Big Boss while he's out there somewhere, building his nation. I simply chose not to like it. But there is no right or wrong answer here objectively. So in a way, Kojima succeed in everything he wanted to achieve with this ending. And I fully understand that. But I don't have to like the consequences. It's my choice. And it's just as right as the choice to like it. For me it ruined the entire experience. But at the same time it didn't ruin the franchise for me because I can use this ending as an excuse for why the game doesn't really feel like an MGS game. And there's a small comfort in that.
I'm with you Adam the final metal gear wasn't the time to pull this sort of shit. Just so Kojima could get in a cheap twist and thank us for playing, a proper thank you would have been a satisfying final game.

I think of it this way... you can either agree with Miller in saying "This was bullshit where is the boss? Kojima can go to hell (kickstarter)" or you can agree with Ocelot and say "No Silent Snake is Big Boss too. Actual Big Boss has been busy making outer heaven you just aren't important enough to see it yet but you will if you bother to play the shitty MSX games. Kojima is a genius slurp slurrp".

I can't get too sad as I became a demon years ago after Mass Effect 3 blew my oil rig up and replaced me with some awkward guy I barely knew. At the end of the day Metal Gear actually finished years ago with MGS 4 and that game was actually good. Ah well Adam at least we can augment our pre order.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
verdant monkai said:
Saving little kids from being interrogated/killed, feeling remorse when Paz fucked up and died whilst trying to kill him and stopping a lunatic from blasting the whole of the U.S with Nukes? Oh yeah mate he was fucking dreadful.

He even tries to save Paz when she popped up again in Ground Zeroes, despite the fact she betrayed motherbase. So come on thats a pretty limp theory.
Recruiting child soldiers, kidnapping scientists and soldiers and torturing them until they joined his private army, radicalizing foreign nationals to the point where they willingly revoke their citizenship and come join MSF, obtaining a nuclear weapon in order to hold the world hostage. And BB's 'honorable' end goal? A world engulfed in neverending war so that a soldier's ability to kill will always be valued. Which part of that is heroic again? He's basically the head of ISIS.

Actual Big Boss has been busy making outer heaven you just aren't important enough to see it yet but you will if you bother to play the shitty MSX games. Kojima is a genius slurp slurrp".
Actual Big Boss was training Solid Snake and assembling FOXHOUND. Venom Snake is the one who created Outer Heaven and was subsequently killed by Solid.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ive basically ignored the metal gear games and all i knew about them is that they were stealth games with a main character called snake

so i went into 5 knowing basically nothing. for me i found the story and monologues pretentious and melodramatic, not to mention someone laced lunch with LSD before they wrote the script

that said once i ignored the story and got to the open world part the game was initially great and enjoyable, being loose in the world doing what ever i wanted. by the end of chapter 1 ive gotten to the point of noticing how much the issues are starting to grate on my nerves, cant climb over that tiny rock thats knee high, the badly designed menu system for the PC mouse and keyboard, the BS wank service with quiet even though she is interesting, the fact that you can send quiet to a camp or outpost and by the time you get there all the enemies are either dead or unconscious, there is no pay off for taking out an outpost.. oh look its just respawned 30 minutes later pretty much the same and no one is concerned that the 6 previous squads there have vanished without a trace

got my money's worth out of it but i wont be going back to it

*edit* mother base was big for the sake of being big and there was basically no reason to go to any of the other platforms at all

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Recruiting child soldiers, kidnapping scientists and soldiers and torturing them until they joined his private army, radicalizing foreign nationals to the point where they willingly revoke their citizenship and come join MSF, obtaining a nuclear weapon in order to hold the world hostage. And BB's 'honorable' end goal? A world engulfed in neverending war so that a soldier's ability to kill will always be valued. Which part of that is heroic again? He's basically the head of ISIS.

Actual Big Boss was training Solid Snake and assembling FOXHOUND. Venom Snake is the one who created Outer Heaven and was subsequently killed by Solid.
What Chico or the little black boys? He took Chico out of a war zone and gave him a non combat role, and the little black boys were being taught how to bake by Miller or something.

You are talking about peace walker right? They gave the French bird watcher woman the opportunity to go home she chose to stay and cook. Huey was happy to stay as he wasn't being kept prisoner there, and strangelove wanted to stay to look at the mammal pod. And all the soldiers just wanted to work for Big Boss as he is kind of a big deal. It always say they were persuaded to leave not tortured. Plus they all seem to be very happy to be there, so I can't agree that they were tortured.
All the characters agree that the nuke is for defence rather than threatening. It's a nuclear deterrent so that MSF would be left alone by all the other hundreds of armed groups with nukes. They just had the nuke so they'f be left alone to do their thing and not be cast aside by their countries. At the end of Peace Walker BB says he will be fighting anyone who wants to restore the old system of nuclear deterrence (and somewhat Cipher). That sounds like a virtuous goal to me.

Also Ocelot says real BB is building the true outer heaven and Miller will be allowed to see it someday.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
No. It did not.

Initially, I enjoyed the core gameplay - it's probably the smoothest Metal Gear game ever created - character movement is no longer clunky, I enjoy how items functions, and I liked the open world... until, well, I got to Africa. After that, I realized the entire game was going to get repetitive. And it did. Plus, tracking down soldiers to kidnap was tedious, as was managing Mother Base during the parasite incident.

The story was also pretty irredeemable, in my opinion. Almost nothing of great consequence actually happens, and what does happen is all rather boring. Plus, the big plot twist at the end of the game was not only dumb, it was easy to see through straight away. I was kind of bored the entire time I played the game, whether it was slogging through the boring story or the samey levels that all played out like Far Cry, but not as good. Plus, I hated going back to Mother Base. Very tedious.

So no, color me not satisfied. It's not a BAD game, it's just not great.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
verdant monkai said:
Young versions of Gray Fox, Solid and Solidus. Where were they? Does Kojima derive sexual pleasure from ignoring the fans when they ask for something on Gray Fox.
From what I recall Solidus aged faster than Liquid and Solid, by the 80's he was well into his teens and working for the CIA. His lack of presence can probably be put down to Chipher hiding him in the system or some shit. Gray Fox had some facetime in Portable Ops as Null, but what really fucks us up here is that Frank and Naomi meet Legit Boss in Mozambique in the 80s and we see literally nothing of Big Boss sans a few expository cutscenes.

But that just moves me on to my main complaint: The story isn't finished. We were told that MGSV would bridge the gap between Vic Boss of Peace Walker and Big Boss of Metal Gear. Instead we have Phantom Boss as the patsy in Metal Gear and Legit Boss in Metal Gear 2 now. Miller revolts and trains Solid, Ocelot throws his lot in with Liquid. What happens to Diamond Dogs? Are there two Outer Heavens, or does Venom Snake assume command of the real Outer Heaven when Big Boss returns to FOXHOUND? Why did Big Boss send Solid on a mission he never intended him to succeed in? Why does no-one question the fact that there are now two Big Bosses in the world? One publicly leading FOXHOUND, one Outer Heaven.

The answers just aren't there and maybe Chapter 3 would have answered them. Maybe the Side Ops are there to compensate, but it doens't work. Neither does sitting through hours of cassette tapes, especially when some of them should have been key cutscenes. It's a god damn shame, because the game is absolutey gorgeous and the gameplay is the most fluidic that the series has ever seen. Yet we were given an amazing Chapter One, followed up by a half baked Chapter Two and a nonexistant Chapter Three.

On Topic: No, it didn't satisfy me completely. I love the series, regardless of how insane the plot gets sometimes. But I was ultimately disappointed by it.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I thought the game overall was pretty good, the story while wacky had its moments of greatness. Vocal Cord Parasites being a leadup/alternative to Foxdie and the rise of nanomachines, Venom Snake being a doppelganger for Big Boss and giving players a small role in the story with Venom, the mission where you were forced to kill fellow soldiers to stop the spread of the parasites, I thought it was all pretty interesting.

The issues I had with the game were mostly story related, there was no Gray Fox info, not much back story on how the Cipher AIs were built (the Strangelove tape just said she worked on it) or just what they are since they seem way more then just computer AI. No resolution on Psycho Mantis and Liquid was just like WTF?, the story built it up and I was so ready for that story then.... nothing, pretty disappointing. No appearances at all or very little info about Dr. Clark, Sigint, EVA, Solid or Solidus and a young Naomi was a letdown, was really hoping to see something in game about the original members of Cipher or the other clones.

On the game mechanics front there were just way too many side quests, they should have cut half of those and just made more main story missions in their place. the extreme and subsistance missions should have been menu options for all missions not use them in place of actual story missions, who thought that was a good idea?

Overall I liked the game and understand what Kojima was attempting to do with it but it could have been a geniune masterpiece had they decided to put more focus on story and less on side quests and motherbase stuff. I like the idea behind motherbase but I would have made sacrifices with it to help bring more story. I still rank it among the better Metal Gear games but it could have been a lot more.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
verdant monkai said:
I suggest you only read this if you've finished the game. Seriously HEAVY spoilers for all of the game.

Hideo sacrificed SO much just so we could do the same side op over and over again.

An inside to mother base. It felt a bit weird and too 'video gamey' to just see Miller and Ocelot disappear into nothingness after cutscenes. It would've been good to go into small interior areas and at the very least see them doing something mother basey, like you could do with Huey.

Mother Base was a regular sausage fest. I'm not complaining from an SJW point of view. I understand there are very few women who would want to fight in a PMC and live on an oil rig in the middle of the sea with a lot of sweaty hairy men. And yeah there were playable women soldiers but, I'd have liked a girl to just have around and about. Like that French bird from peace walker, she's still alive I think. Paz not being real really crapped on my day.

No mission 51. Just youtube MGS V mission 51. It would have sorted out the fucking shambles that was Liquid and psycho mantis' disappearance with sahalanthropus.

I agree with all of this, I can live with the cassettes over the codec but the other stuff was like...huh? wtf Kojima. What was the deal with that Battle Gear? Did they really only intend to put that in there for the combat deployment missions? Talk about a serious missed opportunity there, at least give us a story mission to use that thing against a boss or something.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
The gameplay was outstanding but the Chapter 1 story was overlong, not focused, and fell flat in its finale. Chapter 2 story...well it wasn't there and then the game ends after doing a "Kojima" twist which had been done before in MGS2 and everyone had guessed since the first trailers of the game were released.