Did Modern Warfare 2 end with a Cliffhanger?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
*The war between Russia and the US is still going on.
*Soap and Price are fugitives.
*Makarov is still at large.

Yes, MW2 didn't really end with a cliffhanger; we weren't given any closure on the main characters, the main conflict, or the main antagonist (Makarov was the big bad before Shepard, and Shepard is now dead. There is only one known big bad at this point).

So I guess you could call it a cliffhanger, but it doesn't really fit the bill exactly. A cliffhanger is an ending with suspense, and I for one didn't have much suspense at the end. I just got the feeling that there was going to be a sequel, and...

Mar 30, 2010
Jakub324 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
They played in very different ways. CoD4 played in a tense 'you could see this kinda thing on the news any day now' kinda way. MW2 played in a cheesy guns-and-glory Steven Seagal 'look at me as I slow-mo jump through a massive explosion' kinda way.
If the events of MW1 were plausible, so was MW2. Don't forget, there was an intervening period of 5 years, during which Russia could have become fiercely anti-West. I think that by saying MW1 was as you say, MW2 must be as well.
I can accept the possibility of armed paramilitary groups having to be suppressed by covert special forces teams. I can't get my head around a full on military invasion of the US that ends up with Russian tanks in DC. The US spends <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_industry> inordinate amounts of money on military hardware compared to every other nation on the planet, so any 'invasion of the US' story is instantly rendered paranoid bollocks.

Satsuki666 said:
I think it ended on a cliffhanger. Ya general douchbag is dead now but the war with Russia is still going on. You also do not know what is going on with soap.

Grouchy Imp said:
They played in very different ways. CoD4 played in a tense 'you could see this kinda thing on the news any day now' kinda way. MW2 played in a cheesy guns-and-glory Steven Seagal 'look at me as I slow-mo jump through a massive explosion' kinda way.
I dont know about that. I mean there are a few levels where I 100% agree with you but a good chunk of them in MW2 had the same tense feeling. Aside from the Brazil levels and the last few plus airport they had the same feeling as MW.
In CoD4 there was nice balance between SAS (stealth) and SEAL (gung-ho) missions. MW2 was still split between TF141 and Rangers, but in MW2 both groups were very gung-ho. The contrast just wasn't there for me.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
kman123 said:
Dunno, you just started posting a random bunch of crap about Modern Warfare.
Great attitude to give new members of the Escapist. Really. Spot on.

[sub]/sarcasm[/sub]

[hr]

OT: Yes, it was a cliffhanger. We never found out what happened to Soap.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Zhukov said:
... But the second game in a trilogy (?) usually doesn't...
SL33TBL1ND said:
Well, yeah. That's usually the point of the second part of a trilogy. Just saying.
Just out of curiosity... What makes you think its a trilogy? Are we really going to raise bets there won't be a Modern Warfare 4?

OT: Yes, its a cliffhanger. The protagonist's condition is left unanswered, and even if the villain is death, the main conflict is still present.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Zeh Don said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Wow. Someone dislikes CoD? That's original. I'd give you a medal, but I gave out my final million to the last bandwagon to go past.
Actually, I love Modern Warfare, it's one of my personal favourite games of all time. I have the 360 version, and I played it to death. Amazing game. Modern Warfare 2, however, was one of the worst games ever made - the piss poor excuse for a story deserves to be mocked every at every possible chance. Hell, I'll sign up to websites just to post on their forums to remind people that Modern Warfare 2 was garbage.
I don't "Hate CoD". I don't subscribe to the Tall Poppy Syndrome that gets around these parts. I just hate games that ruin otherwise terrific series; Modern Warfare 2 wasn't a cliffhanger - it was a grave digger.
Don't you think you're going a little overboard about this then? I mean, you dislike a video game. Fine. Who hasn't? Doesn't mean you should go all over the place and insult those who did enjoy it for no reason.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
It's not really a cliffhanger, it just leaves it open for the sequel. There's no ambiguity about whether Soap survives.

Basically, if the game had ended more like the first Modern Warfare with you fading out of conciousness after tearing the knife out and killing Shepherd with it, instead of your ride turning up and saying he's taking you to you the "place" referred to in the "I know a place" line, then it would have been a cliffhanger.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Not really. He's going to be fine, but I'm still interested to see how the story ends. I might rent it and play the story.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Jakub324 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
If the events of MW1 were plausible, so was MW2. Don't forget, there was an intervening period of 5 years, during which Russia could have become fiercely anti-West. I think that by saying MW1 was as you say, MW2 must be as well.
I can accept the possibility of armed paramilitary groups having to be suppressed by covert special forces teams. I can't get my head around a full on military invasion of the US that ends up with Russian tanks in DC. The US spends <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_industry> inordinate amounts of money on military hardware compared to every other nation on the planet, so any 'invasion of the US' story is instantly rendered paranoid bollocks.

Satsuki666 said:
I think it ended on a cliffhanger. Ya general douchbag is dead now but the war with Russia is still going on. You also do not know what is going on with soap.

Grouchy Imp said:
I dont know about that. I mean there are a few levels where I 100% agree with you but a good chunk of them in MW2 had the same tense feeling. Aside from the Brazil levels and the last few plus airport they had the same feeling as MW.
In CoD4 there was nice balance between SAS (stealth) and SEAL (gung-ho) missions. MW2 was still split between TF141 and Rangers, but in MW2 both groups were very gung-ho. The contrast just wasn't there for me.
I'm going to reply to both of those in this space because I can't work out where else to put it. An ultra-nationalist Russia lead by people who hate the West would spend as much, if not more than the US on their Military, so yeah, it's still plausible.

I disagree with you when you say that the TF141 people were as gung-ho as the Rangers. The Rangers had a kind of "Yeah, we'll show 'em!" attitude at the beginning and "Fuck me, you bastards!" one towards the end, whereas the 141 were more "Let's do what we need to do and get out of here" all the way through. It was clear that they had a more grim mind-set than the Rangers.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Jakub324 said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Actually, there was a bigger hole - the russian's should of invaded to the west, not the east. Even with the massacre we Europeans aren't that big of tossers that we wouldn't give the Americans a heads-up along the lines of "by the way, a gigantic fleet/whatever the plane equivalent is of Russian aircraft is heading your way from the east to fuck your shit up, just saying" - if not help.

drobear

Apr 24, 2011
not really,it past the cliffhanger fell of landed on the ground then stood at the edge of a there are still some unfinished plot point cliff type thing (yes thats the tecnical term) the cliffhanger would have been when soap got stabbed but they had to do the whole cod4 you dying last stank kill the bad guy thing (that was good once but a second time really?)

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
latiasracer said:
I thought it did...

By the way, is Hanz Zimmer doing the music again?
It's Danny Elfman I think, yeah I know, he sucks.

Even if It didn't end with a cliffhanger, people will still buy the next one, since hardly anyone apart from the original, loyal fanbase cares about the campaign.

I'll watch it on youtube.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Serving UpSmiles said:
latiasracer said:
I thought it did...

By the way, is Hanz Zimmer doing the music again?
It's Danny Elfman I think, yeah I know, he sucks.

Even if It didn't end with a cliffhanger, people will still buy the next one, since hardly anyone apart from the original, loyal fanbase cares about the campaign.

I'll watch it on youtube.
Awww Balls. Well im not buying it... Guess ill do the same as you friend :p

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
hermes200 said:
Zhukov said:
... But the second game in a trilogy (?) usually doesn't...
SL33TBL1ND said:
Well, yeah. That's usually the point of the second part of a trilogy. Just saying.
Just out of curiosity... What makes you think its a trilogy? Are we really going to raise bets there won't be a Modern Warfare 4?
I remember something somewhere that said this game would wrap up the Modern Warfare story. Sure, there will be more games in the series, but with a different story, I believe.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I don't even remember what happened in Modern Warfare 2 at the end. I don't remember what happens in most FPS stories. Usually because they're entirely forgettable.... I guess my answer is maybe???

Skyrux

Oct 5, 2011
I_Sinanju _I said:
...More like a knife to the chest if you ask me.
Unless you count the waterfall as a "cliff".
What a classy answer, i like that.

I hates MW2 and BF:BC2 endings, a game should stand on its own, sequel or not...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yes it did.

But what really pissed me off was the museum tour during the credits. Not really sure why I hate it but I just do.

Xkaliber

Apr 30, 2009
How I predict Modern Warfare 3 will end:

Pursuing The Burger King on foot through the streets of now half-destroyed NYC or DC, you corner him and manage to unmask him. It was Ronald Mc effing Donald all along. The whole Russian incident, the weapon smuggle, it was all for the power of McDonalds. But before you can finish him off, he stabs you with a frozen meat pattie, leaving you bleeding out on the floor. As you start to black out, you notice a paper wrapped straw beside you. Peeling the wrapping off the straw via an intense 2 minute QTE, you ball the paper up into your mouth, chew it up, then take wobbly-drunk-o-vision aim at Ronald, sniping him in the back of the head with the spitball.

Shit explodes, Ronald McDonald is found to be a Russian mobster dressed up as the clown himself, Team America F- Yeah! Credits.