Did you ever play a game wrong?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
When I fought Crying Wolf in Metal Gear Solid 4 I gave up trying to use stealth and put on infrared goggles, charging her with my many rocket/missile launchers (I had four if I remember correct). Her railgun doesn't even work good up close, it rarely hits.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, I play Jedi Knight II entirely with cheats. I suppose that's always wrong but I can't stand this damn shooter part, it's supposed to be a Jedi game so I want to have a lightsaber and force powers.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
From the time I started playing TF2 (shortly after Pyro update, despite owning the game since The Orange Box's release) until the Sniper/Spy update started (but before the actual item releases), I did not know how to use the cloak watch as a Spy. I did at least know how to use all his other items, but lordy lord was it an uphill battle as a Spy without a cloak watch.

Now I just use the Dead Ringer whenever I play Spy, and could never go back.

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
The whole Splinter Cell franchise, Halo-ing instead of stealth. Plus it was on Hard but I managed to finish it all.

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
I must have played Final Fantasy VII wrong... For one thing I thought it was wonderful when Aerith (is that even her right name?) died, because she did nothing but annoy me for the first half of the game. I also leveled too much, which led to me getting bored because there was no challenge and I just stopped playing... I think I was around LVL 80 and in the final dungeon.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
geldonyetich said:
At some point, I hit upon the really interesting realization that it's really easy to play a game wrong.

Basically, what happens is this: you play a similar kind of game and develop habits to play a game that way that leads to you not playing the next game properly.

For example, lets say you play a lot of MMORPGs, you learn you should just sit there and soak damage while the mob beats you up because that's how the MMORPGs are generally developed. Then you go and play City of Heroes and find it to be a really boring, derivative experience because you don't realize it's actually a game developed with the idea that you would be able to use factors such as cover and z coordinate elevation, and that healing isn't so much required, and so on.
i have the reverse of that issue, as I'm used to CoH, i tend to not do so good or get bored with other MMOs cause I'm used to how CoH works

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Any RTS I would say I play wrong. I suck at them no matter how much I play them.

I can not for the life of me build a good character in an rpg. I always mess something up and it makes the game ten times harder.

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
Trying to play Splinter Cell Chaos Theory by killing everyone with stealth, rather than sneaking past them, and playing ME1 like any other shooter and ignoring most of the story (yeah, that was stupid of me)

The Rookie Gamer said:
I played MW2 single player expecting it to be fast paced, and I then had to do the grind of finding and eliminating every enemy at a distance so when I walked out of cover I wouldn't have my body occupying the same space as a 100 bullets, and I played the multiplayer expecting it to be balanced.
"AM I KOOL NAO!?!?"

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I've always loved point-and-click games. About 14 years ago I got Full Throttle. I got stuck early on and couldn't figure out what to do (in my defense, it was an extremely obscure solution to the problem). A friend of mine had a magazine that came with a guide, telling you how to solve all the problems. I borrowed it, just in case I got stuck again. And what the hell do I do? I play through the entire game, this brilliant fucking game, doing nothing but looking at the guide. I still hate myself for doing that.

Mirrored Jigsaw

Feb 25, 2009
I don't care that much about leveling in World of Warcraft, so I like to explore territories that are way above my level and see how many times I die.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
My first playthough of Fallout 3, I had no idea you could repair weapons, so I carried around 3 of every type incase one broke.....

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
rokkolpo said:
i remember in portal after you encounter your first rocket turret there's a hole (slightly to high) to crawl through.

and i think i had to think of something clever. instead i stacked computers and chairs to climb up to it.
I did the exact same thing :D

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Oh God yes!

I play RTS's wrong all the time - people are soooo inconsiderate! How dare they attack me before I have made an impenetrable base that takes about half an hour to build.

WoW- Apparently being a casual wow player is frowned upon.

FFX- Didn't realise that triangle was a guard action on my first play through, would have made some bosses a little easier...