Did You Like Dragon Age Origins??

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Best RPG in a long long time if you ask me. It has it's faults like most games, but the lore and characters make up for it easily.

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
I've enjoyed playing it, yeah. Partly for reasons others have detailed - the story, the depth, the origin stories etc. Mainly, however, it's because whenever a new RPG with some sort of morality system is released me and my friends start a new round of a game we all play called 'Who Can Be the Biggest Dick?'

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Is it closer to Mass Effect or Oblivion? This is what's holding me back from buying it as I really can't tell through outside reviews.

If it's closer to Mass Effect I'll probably buy it, Oblivion...not so much.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Amethyst Wind said:
Is it closer to Mass Effect or Oblivion? This is what's holding me back from buying it as I really can't tell through outside reviews.

If it's closer to Mass Effect I'll probably buy it, Oblivion...not so much.
Neither. It's actually a resurrection of Bioware's old timers, like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, with spiffier graphics. What with the decline of PC games and long, complex RPGs, I'm really surprised Bioware had the guts to go back to their roots like this, and even more surprised that it actually sold.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Why/ why not?
90 hours clocked in it and I have been very, very casual for along while no game has sucked me in this much in years and I have still yet to touch the toolset.

Should I get it or not?
Hell yes

whats best part of the game?
I really enjoyed the introduction/origin chapters, but the standard never really drops oh and the landsmeet for the heavy political choices actually really makes you think.

Is the story good?
Its a fantasy RPG its what you expect, blight is bad, you are good go stop bad the beauty here is in the details it does not bog itself down with a simple premise and go with it there are many, many more small sub plots.

did you enjoy the gameplay
It's pretty much Neverwinter Nights if it did not suck gameplay wise mixed in with WoWs mechanics this is not Baldurs Gate combat wise.

was the game to short?
Hell no dont go thinking htis is mass effect you will not clear this in a day or two even if you game many hours a day you will get your moneys worth. Ands thats not going into the many sidequests.

IMO get it for the PC the console versions are an utter travesty by comparison make no mistake this is a PC to console port not the other way around.

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
I seriously fell in complete love with this game... and that does happen often

I highly recommend it for anyone

Mind you i hated oblivion ... and loved mass effect also.. so i would say its closer to the mass effect side, but granted its still not much like mass effect in the way of gameplay.. Its alot like Kotor i suppose..

Apr 28, 2008
Renamedsin said:
Did you?
Yes

Why/ why not?
Because it was an epic Dark Fantasy Adventure that is full of great and funny Dialoge. The fact that combat is fun is a big plus

Should I get it or not?
Yes yes yes!

whats best part of the game?
I would say the story

And please, I say Please
NO Spoilers!
You fight Dragons

Just talk about things like
Is the story good?
Yes, one of the best I have ever experienced.

did you enjoy the gameplay
Yes, I have it for PC, and the combat can either be played out like Knights of the Old Republic, or a more tacticle, small rts way.

was the game to short?
Hell no, I have about 50 hours sunk into one playthrough, and still not done. Plus when you beat it playing through as a differant species/class changes enough to make it feel like a new experience every time.

NO Ingamestory Information, if you can
Don't worry, I haven't gotten that far yet.
Hope that helps!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
This game is pretty damn close to my idea of the perfect RPG... seriously, the only thing that detracts from the experience for me are the frequent crashes at the beginning and the easily fixed graphical glitches that pop up every now and again.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Love it. I would like a bit more freedom, i.e. a little less instancing, more of an open world.

The lore, dialogues, and fights are flippin' awesome though. It reaffirms my love for BioWare.

Roocifer

Nov 18, 2009
Loving the game.... Got me back to my old form of staying up late! Always get worried because I always try and play through really thoroughly and that sometimes puts me off doing a replay...Hopefully the Origin stories will bring me back in but eg. Fallout 3 I only played through once. My mate says to mod it and get back in though.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Yes get the game as simple as that. The best part is at the end when you kill your entire party in order to save the world from the darkspawn. JK but I almost pissed you off! But ya there is no explanation, just get the damn game now!!!!

Perception

Nov 18, 2009
DA:O is an excellent game. I don't think I've been this "into" an RPG since BGII.

That said, whether YOU will like it or not depends wholly on what type of games you prefer.

Dragon Age is not particularly easy. Don't expect to breeze through diablo-style. You will pause and plot all the way through, unless you're playing at the easiest setting. You will get stuck several times and spend time trying to figure out how to beat a fight.

The story isn't of the fairy tale variety either. There is no good/evil mechanic, and for good reason. If you don't like the bitter taste of realizing there aren't many pure heroes at all around and that your actions don't always have the results you desire, you might not like this setting.

If you like mature RPGs with challenging combat, however, you'll like DA:O.

Firsteye

Nov 12, 2009
Do you have a stick up your ass or do you just not like RPG's Balance issues aside its a great game. You are entitled to your opinion but state exactly what you think is wrong with it instead of writing off everything without probably even a half hour of play that is if you even actually own it. This is a reply to a post by 'BAGODIX' "No. It's dull and generic in almost every way. The combat is boring, the character customization is lame and the party members I've encountered so far do not interest me." I didn't know about the quote thing.

spm1138

Nov 18, 2009
Renamedsin said:
Yes.
I am enjoying it.
It's a very solidly made western CRPG with very high production values and obvious care and attention lavished all over it. It's not blown me away quite as much as Planescape or Mass Effect - I instantly deduct a few points for being Tolkein-esque - but it's still not bad. They've managed to throw enough human motivations in to make the story interesting.

It's also good VFM. I'm 20 hours in and not nearly finished yet. It also looks like it has good replay value since you have the usual range of options. I'm being sort of amoral but nice enough to get into one characters pants (that's the replacement moral compass) this playthrough. I've also chosen to play as a rogue. I could go with an entirely different character and play as a total bastard next time out.

The story is fairly well done. On one hand it's a fairly generic fantasy world framework but at least they've tried to throw some depth in there by having racism and caste systems etc.
I can't work out what the elves are doing wrong off the top of my head but I keep wanting to punch them so there must be something. The actual writing is pretty decent especially for your party members. You'll have pretty clear favourites quite quickly and soon find yourself deciding who to roll around with based on who you like and who annoys you.
It's clearly meant to feel epic and I think they manage that. I haven't finished it yet so maybe the last act is terrible. We'll see.

The gameplay is satisfying. I like tactical games and I am really feeling like I am having to use tactics for some of these fights. I'm doing stuff like picking chokepoints and using cover to reduce incoming ranged fire.

On the other hand I am also gaming dumb MMO-like AI (e.g. carefully "pulling" one guy out of a room) so maybe that's a negative. The tactics system is pretty cool and lets you control your party without too much micromanagement.
Some of the fights are quite hard but by the time you've worked out a winning set of tactics you'll probably feel some sense of accomplishment for having beaten them.
As an RPG system I quite like this. Classes are broad and flexible.

If you can live with it being a bit generic, it's a very solid purchase.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
yes
because it was awesome
get it, GET IT NOW!
best part of the game, killing the bad guy who tried to kill you, and feeling bad about it.
on the 360 version targeting specific bad guys is kind of difficult, also barricades barricades will kill you because you can't target them in combat (to destroy them) and enemies will just stand behind them and kill you dead

to be honest that only happened to me once, there was a way to flank, but you can't open locked doors in combat either...

so the controls for the 360 version are a bit annoying for instance traps, you try to order your guy to attack an enemy but he is preoccupied looking at traps instead so when you press A to send him into battle he will instead walk to the nearest trap and stand there and tell you he can't disarm it.

that is pretty much the only problem I had with the game, but over all the story was awesome and there is tons of gameplay.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Game of the Year. Fuck the rest of 'em. Well, except for...no...just fuck the rest of the games.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
I hated it because it's a complete rip-off of Dead Space in every single way.

Joke, I love the shit out of it