Did you miss BREXIT now that it is technically done ?

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Boris Johnson tells UK: prepare for a no-deal Brexit
"Prime minister says EU must change its approach to talks if deal to be reached

Boris Johnson has claimed there will be no more trade and security talks unless the EU adopts a “fundamental change of approach”, as he seeks to increase pressure on Brussels to give ground in the negotiations.

In a televised statement on Friday, the prime minister said the country would have to prepare for a no-deal scenario on 1 January, with his spokesman further toughening up the rhetoric later in the day.

“The trade talks are over – the EU have effectively ended them yesterday when they said they did not want to change their negotiating position,” the spokesman said, while stopping short of announcing the UK’s intention to decisively walk away.

Downing Street’s bravado was swiftly undermined in Brussels, where officials and leaders leaving an EU summit said they had no reason to believe the negotiations would not continue."

So is anyone even the least bit surprised that what everyone has been telling them all along is still the case?

Agema

Ph'nglui mglw'nafn Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Boris Johnson tells UK: prepare for a no-deal Brexit
"Prime minister says EU must change its approach to talks if deal to be reached

So is anyone even the least bit surprised that what everyone has been telling them all along is still the case?
Johnson is a like Trump on the truthfulness stakes - except I think the constant stream of lies is slightly more strategic where Trump's is instinctual habit. (I also think that like Trump, he is lazy, disorganised and ignorant, and much happier to act like he's in charge than be in charge.) There are very mixed messages here: on the one hand the UK government appears to be struggling for a deal. On the other the PM repeatedly threatens to walk away.

It is possible that this time it really is the end of the road because the UK has found it can't shake anything more out of the EU. But I notice it's not actually closed the door and refused to sign a deal yet.

2021 is going be a hard year for the UK as well. I doubt Johnson's reign as PM will survive much past Brexit: he's being left to see it out by his party so no-one else gets stained by the mess they all know is coming. Funny thing is, Johnson probably knows that too. He'll be happy to have his name go down in history, and return to his journalist job at the Daily Telegraph for over £300k a year. I suppose it is possible that if it's bad enough for the UK, his reputation might be so damaged they won't be prepared to employ him, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Still threatening the EU with destroying his economy at them? Are UK voters still impressed by that?

Agema

Ph'nglui mglw'nafn Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Still threatening the EU with destroying his economy at them? Are UK voters still impressed by that?
Some of them, amongst the more hardline Eurosceptics which will very much make up the Tory-Brexit core: they have faith in the glory of their decision.

The Brexit vote has slipped slightly, but ultimately been robust: in a straight-up referendum to stay or leave held tomorrow, odds are Brexit would lose, but only narrowly. However, since the 2016 referendum, people are not just voting for whether it's good or bad to leave the EU, they're also voting on the fact the original referendum should be honoured. If we therefore look at how many people think things are going well, and whether it's good or bad if we leave the EU without a deal, we're down to about 30-40% support, which approximates to the Eurosceptic core. So "Bregret" might be substantial, but it doesn't translate into scrapping Brexit, largely because people want their 2016 vote honoured even if it's bad for them. That same logic of honouring the referendum drives tolerance of no deal.

I suspect that Brexit will need to happen and Brexiters will have to suck up pain before national attitudes will really start to shift. However, in that sense covid-19 is a massive Brexit godsend, because the substantial short-term damage of Brexit will be concealed by the damage of covid-19. If we assume the UK will start to do worse than the EU, it will poteitnally be years before this really becomes clear, with a drip-feed of insipid growth and relative decline compared to the continent.