Digest: Bubble tea, Capcom classics, and toxic corporate culture

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Digest: Bubble tea, Capcom classics, and toxic corporate culture

Bubble tea, Capcom classics, and toxic corporate culture.

Read Full Article

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Another interesting note is that Onimusha's remaster is having its score completely redone. This is due to the infamous Samuragochi (the composer) scandal where it turned out he had in fact been faking his musical skills for years.

Anyway, great to see it back, even if the first one is pretty aged and the story in the games never went above stupid schlock (plus the bonus of Samanosuke being modeled after and voiced by the stellar Takeshi Kaneshiro). With unashamedly Japanese games like Yakuza, Nioh, and Persona being back in the spotlight again, CAPCOM has a chance to carve out a niche with bringing back Onimusha.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Although I am highly skeptical that Riot is capable of cleaning up their mess due to this being a leadership issue to it's core, I do hope they are able to do so, as this also impacts gaming expansion in general. High School Esports has been greatly expanding in recent years and negativity by developers and in the games they produce will impact whether or not their games will be able to remain a consideration for public school teams due to what is considered acceptable environmental exposure. I personally want to see Esports greatly expand in schools, and see needless toxicity created like this by developers or members of the community as being a barrier to realizing that goal. They cause harm to not only their staff and hinder their productivity, they also harm the gaming community as a whole by creating a toxic environment that obviously violates UIL rules makes it that much more difficult to have the UIL take them seriously.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Video-Games-the-Next-Texas-High-School-Varsity-Sport-488865571.html

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
"conducting a through investigation" --> "conducting a thorough investigation"

So it seems that mentioning even a single instance of toxic masculinity will trigger some wannabenazis, which is rather disappointing.

Anyways, I'm always very surprised just how quickly bubble tea caught on in the US. It's been around for over two decades now, and just suddenly in the past two years these shops just sprouted up everywhere. Obviously, US companies will put their own twist on the formula such as filling the pearls with fruit filling. Even from looking at the image provided, I feel nauseated from the amount the amount of sugar it probably has.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Although I am highly skeptical that Riot is capable of cleaning up their mess due to this being a leadership issue to it's core, I do hope they are able to do so, as this also impacts gaming expansion in general. High School Esports has been greatly expanding in recent years and negativity by developers and in the games they produce will impact whether or not their games will be able to remain a consideration for public school teams due to what is considered acceptable environmental exposure. I personally want to see Esports greatly expand in schools, and see needless toxicity created like this by developers or members of the community as being a barrier to realizing that goal. They cause harm to not only their staff and hinder their productivity, they also harm the gaming community as a whole by creating a toxic environment that obviously violates UIL rules makes it that much more difficult to have the UIL take them seriously.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Video-Games-the-Next-Texas-High-School-Varsity-Sport-488865571.html
Why the hell would you want to see eSports in school be a thing? 10% of Americans have diabetes, over half of American youth can't even swim properly to save their life, and nearly all Americans can't even use a compass and topographical map. They already spend far too much time being lazy and leading egocentric lives devoid of actual teamwork and basic survival skills.

They are physically and intellectually broken, and can't even figure out how to get someplace new. To put it pointedly... if the U.S. suffered a nuclear exchange that saw twenty of its largest cities hit... the greater catastrophe will still be people unable to get insulin and other diabetic/prediabetic medication.

School should be educational. That includes P.E. Not videogames.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Lil devils x said:

Why the hell would you want to see eSports in school be a thing? 10% of Americans have diabetes, over half of American youth can't even swim properly to save their life, and nearly all Americans can't even use a compass and topographical map. They already spend far too much time being lazy and leading egocentric lives devoid of actual teamwork and basic survival skills.

They are physically and intellectually broken, and can't even figure out how to get someplace new.

School should be educational. That includes P.E. Not videogames.
I very much enjoyed Video games while growing up and would have loved to have an Esports team made available IN ADDITION to my cheerleading, swim team and gymnastics. Simply because you enjoy games does not in any way mean you will be diabetic and lacking in exercise. The idea that people cannot do more than one thing like we are some class based RPG is nonsense. We can have athletics AND video games along with Art, Choir, Science fairs, and the Chess club. Oddly enough you mention Swimming when I was actually a lifeguard at 18 LOL! It is okay to swim and like video games, plenty of people do that too. You are essentially saying you cannot walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Yes, people are very well capable of enjoying many things and it does not take away from them to enjoy other things as well.

BTW yes, you can learn teamwork in video games, and yes video games can be educational as well. In fact they are utilizing them already in education and I see nothing wrong with that at all. I think it is a great thing and we need more of it!

FYI, PE in much of the US does not help people fight diabetes. It is a blow off course that does not teach them cardio, balance, strength training or endurance as it should. It is a pretty useless course. They would have to join at least athletics, though preferably another sport or dance class to really gain any benefit from it.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I very much enjoyed Video games while growing up and would have loved to have an Esports team made available IN ADDITION to my cheerleading, swim team and gymnastics.
Clearly too many Americans only enjoy the former, none of the latter. Why then promote it further in schools? For what purpose?

Simply because you enjoy games does not in any way mean you will be diabetic and lacking in exercise. The idea that people cannot do more than one thing like we are some class based RPG is nonsense. We can have athletics AND video games along with Art, Choir, Science fairs, and the Chess club.
And that's where school efforts and money should go to. Not wasting its time with what are at best a pasttime. Actual outlets for artistic and physical abilities. Not speedrunning Morrowind.

Oddly enough you mention Swimming when I was actually a lifeguard at 18 LOL! It is okay to swim and like video games, plenty of people do that too. You are essentially saying you cannot walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Yes, people are very well capable of enjoying many things and it does not take away from them to enjoy other things as well.
As a high school teacher I also saw way too many fat kids with poor co-ordination, poor general health and diets, and a lack of general teamwork and skills-building during their formative years. They should be introduced to trade skills like mechanics, design and tech, and agricultural studies well before videogames become a publicly funded endeavour of states.

BTW yes, you can learn teamwork in video games, and yes video games can be educational as well. In fact they are utilizing them already in education and I see nothing wrong with that at all. I think it is a great thing and we need more of it!
I must have missed that amidst the string of all too usual slurs by 13 year olds over teamspeak.

For starters, eSports is not a teaching aid.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
I very much enjoyed Video games while growing up and would have loved to have an Esports team made available IN ADDITION to my cheerleading, swim team and gymnastics.
Clearly too many Americans only enjoy the former, none of the latter. Why then promote it further in schools? For what purpose?

Simply because you enjoy games does not in any way mean you will be diabetic and lacking in exercise. The idea that people cannot do more than one thing like we are some class based RPG is nonsense. We can have athletics AND video games along with Art, Choir, Science fairs, and the Chess club.
And that's where school efforts and money should go to. Not wasting its time with what are at best a pasttime.

Oddly enough you mention Swimming when I was actually a lifeguard at 18 LOL! It is okay to swim and like video games, plenty of people do that too. You are essentially saying you cannot walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Yes, people are very well capable of enjoying many things and it does not take away from them to enjoy other things as well.
As a high school teacher I also saw way too many fat kids with poor co-ordination, poor general health and diets, and a lack of general teamwork and skills-building during their formative years. They should be introduced to trade skills like mechanics, design and tech, and agricultural studies well before videogames become a publicly funded endeavour of states.

I must have missed that amidst the string of all too usual slurs by 13 year olds over teamspeak.

For starters, eSports is not a teaching aid.
Esports, like Chess club are not funded by the school. Students and their families raise money themselves for their events, none of it comes from taxes FYI. The vast majority of student clubs are ran by volunteers here and paid for by those students and their families. In a case where the Student cannot afford to pay due to financial difficulties, other students, school staff and members of the community help raise money for them to participate as well. This is done in a way that does not cause targeting or embarrassment to the student, but is done by setting "goals" for their group that the entire group works to meet without disclosing which student is being assisted. They raise money for the entire group, not just for individuals. The student is never put on the spot or asked for money, as this is a voluntary effort of the entire group.

When video games become a school event, school rules will apply, meaning if they cannot use slurs in class, they cannot use them while training or competing or they get kicked from their team and cannot represent their school. You have an adult volunteer as their sponsor to be able to have a club in the first place, who teaches, and supervises. And the good thing about School esports, is everything is recorded, so if there was rule breaking going on, they can easily be caught and suspended, or kicked from the team It isn't like this is unsupervised or exists outside the same rules that apply to the Chess club. The benefits are similar to Chess club, in regards to strategy, memorization and problem solving skills but with much more teamwork and hand eye coordination involved. Esports are teams sports and there is far more social skills involved than there is in Chess.

Esports can very well be educational:
http://iacademy.edu.ph/home/blog_post/127/what-do-experts-say-about-the-benefits-of-online-gaming
https://sheu.org.uk/sheux/EH/eh203mg.pdf
https://www.invenglobal.com/cve/articles/3514/the-benefits-of-high-school-esports

School rules applying is also the reason developers such as RIOT need to clean up their behavior, games and community so that it can be included by being able to comply with the school rules so that this is something students will be able to participate in.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Esports, like Chess club are not funded by the school. Students and their families raise money themselves for their events, none of it comes from taxes FYI.
Don't care. I also didn't take orders from parents, either. Parents are shitheads, and teachers have a duty of care to ignore them, regardless, unless it's a medical or legal condition (like parents with restraining orders, etc). I spoke to them about their child, I told them what needed to change. I made every efforts to show them their failures in cultivating success in my class and its activities. That relationship wasn't a two way street ... in the same way that I imagine you don't allow your patients to just demand that you lower your standards on who should get painkillers.

Same situation.

The sooner governments learn that, the sooner schools can be turned around for the better. The reason why we made education mandatory, was because parents are collectively garbage people.

The vast majority of student clubs are ran by volunteers here and paid for by those students and their families. In a case where the Student cannot afford to pay due to financial difficulties, other students, school staff and members of the community help raise money for them to participate as well.
After school activities is not what we're discussing here. I didn't give a shit what a kid did outside the school.

When video games become a school event, school rules will apply, meaning if they cannot use slurs in class, they cannot use them while training or competing or they get kicked from their team and cannot represent their school.
Like so. How about, 'no'?

http://iacademy.edu.ph/home/blog_post/127/what-do-experts-say-about-the-benefits-of-online-gaming
https://www.invenglobal.com/cve/articles/3514/the-benefits-of-high-school-esports
All of which can be achieved in healthier ways. And all of which challenged by the simple fact that sedentary lifestyles have massive social costs. All of which compounded by the fact that more often than not, someone has roughly 40-50 minutes to hammer in a lesson plan before students are sent elsewhere.

Not only that there's a growing body of evidence concerning videogame consumption and problematic addiction rates in kids with ADHD.

People use videogames with ADHD kids because it's one of the few times you can get them to sit down and shut up, so it got promoted as a way of 'reaching out' to these kids and 'stealth teaching' them. The problem is that you're contributing to the rate of attention problems by refusing to address them through conventional classroom activities. You're trading longterm goals with short term success. Compounding it also with the fact that teachers have a premium on their time.

You want to know what also works?

Increased discipline, improved diets, enforced physical activity regimen. I shouldn't have to point out the neurological benefits of improved lung performance and periodic elevated blood flow and O2 saturation to a developing brain. Which is why periodic high physical activity in schools is not only healthier, but helps level out behaviour and better handle stress and increase concentration in classes.

Hell, jogging around a track increases your occipital lobe activity which helps improve and train vision and mental acuity.

Also provably a better study aid than videogames. Something that you can learn and bring with you into university or an apprenticeship and improve your brain power with as a general life strategy.

The number of kids with vision problems? Willing to bet you that kid is not exercising enough. I've seen it in the flesh, and when working in the Department I saw it in studies and papers. And none of this is merely hypothetical, with modern imaging means we can actually see the benefits on increased brain activity from physical activity.

The school is not a democracy or negotiable as a human need... it's a civil service that is the torch and shield of civilization... sooner you cut out parents and corporate types trying to cheapen or profit out of schools at the expense of the art and science of pedagogy, cut them out of manipulating the standards of education for all, the better.

One of the reasons why they should implement the cafeteria system in Australia (barring special needs) is due to the fact that at least for ONE meal we can ensure kids are eating right. Nutritionally balanced for an easier achieved nominal performance across the entire student body. Decrease total sickness, increase concentration ...

That is a better use of money and time than videogames ever will be to a school. So will a soccer ball for the same reason.

School rules applying is also the reason developers such as RIOT need to clean up their behavior, games and community so that it can be included by being able to comply with the school rules so that this is something students will be able to participate in.
The reason why RIOT should clean up its act is due to labour laws and the fact that I'm tired of tech companies complaining how they need exorbitant prices on digital information and things like loot boxes or ridiculous microtransaction bullshit when they have people sending dick pics to their co-workers.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Esports, like Chess club are not funded by the school. Students and their families raise money themselves for their events, none of it comes from taxes FYI.
Don't care. I also didn't take orders from parents, either. Parents are shitheads, and teachers have a duty of care to ignore them, regardless, unless it's a medical or legal condition (like parents with restraining orders, etc). I spoke to them about their child, I told them what needed to change. I made every efforts to show them their failures in cultivating success in my class and its activities. That relationship wasn't a two way street ... in the same way that I imagine you don't allow your patients to just demand that you lower your standards on who should get painkillers.

Same situation.

The sooner governments learn that, the sooner schools can be turned around for the better. The reason why we made education mandatory, was because parents are collectively garbage people.

The vast majority of student clubs are ran by volunteers here and paid for by those students and their families. In a case where the Student cannot afford to pay due to financial difficulties, other students, school staff and members of the community help raise money for them to participate as well.
After school activities is not what we're discussing here. I didn't give a shit what a kid did outside the school.

When video games become a school event, school rules will apply, meaning if they cannot use slurs in class, they cannot use them while training or competing or they get kicked from their team and cannot represent their school.
Like so. How about, 'no'?

All of which can be achieved in healthier ways. And all of which challenged by the simple fact that sedentary lifestyles have massive social costs. All of which compounded by the fact that more often than not, someone has roughly 40-50 minutes to hammer in a lesson plan before students are sent elsewhere.

Not only that there's a growing body of evidence concerning videogame consumption and problematic addiction rates in kids with ADHD.

People use videogames with ADHD kids because it's one of the few times you can get them to sit down and shut up, so it got promoted as a way of 'reaching out' to these kids and 'stealth teaching' them. The problem is that you're contributing to the rate of attention problems by refusing to address them through conventional classroom activities. You're trading longterm goals with short term success. Compounding it also with the fact that teachers have a premium on their time.

You want to know what also works?

Increased discipline, improved diets, enforced physical activity regimen.

The school is not a democracy or negotiable as a human need... it's a civil service that is the torch and shield of civilization... sooner you cut out parents and corporate types trying to cheapen or profit out of schools at the expense of the art and science of pedagogy, cut them out of manipulating the standards of education for all, the better.

One of the reasons why they should implement the cafeteria system in Australia (barring special needs) is due to the fact that at least for ONE meal we can ensure kids are eating right. Nutritionally balanced for an easier achieved nominal performance across the entire student body. Decrease total sickness, increase concentration ...

That is a better use of money and time than videogames ever will be to a school.

The reason why RIOT should clean up its act is due to labour laws and the fact that I'm tired of tech companies complaining how they need exorbitant prices on digital information and things like loot boxes or ridiculous microtransaction bullshit when they have people sending dick pics to their co-workers.
Simply because you do not like it does not mean that it is unhealthy. And student clubs take place IN the school, not outside of it. They may use an empty classroom or corner of the gym , auditorium or library depending on what is available, but in the school none the less. Not only do they have events after class at the school, they are even at times given permission from teachers to leave class to participate in these events and go on field trips during normal class periods to attend events.

BTW, who says they all have to be Sedentary? I often play games while walking around the room doing other things.My friend in school that i played games with used to hop up and down all crazy while we played. How are they any more or less sedentary than sitting in a classroom doing their English, Math or Engineering assignment? Should they just drop those because they are sedentary as well? I do not see that as being an argument at all here considering the fact they keep students far more sedentary than games do. In fact, they make games that require you to do the opposite of that as well now.

There are numerous issues with children with ADHD, parents using Video games, Televison, the internet, dartboards, skeeball or pinball machines as baby sitters is in no way the fault of the media. It is just another easy way not to have to spend proper time with a child. Blaming video games is a scapegoat.

Conventional classroom activities are a HUGE part of the problem here, not the solution. We actually need to rework how that is done entirely. I agree with Sir Ken Robinson on this:

You are not trading long term goals for short term success, in fact, you can actually help teach them how both the details and the big picture are important and how to work from point a to point b to be able to accomplish their goals via video games. I see them as being able to assist with both.

While I may disagree on the effectiveness and benefits of discipline, playing video games is not contradictory to a healthy diet and exercise, there is nothing saying that it has to be excluded from their activities or that they very well cannot do both. It can be just as beneficial as reading a book. I think you may have some hang yups from dealing with with some situation that you are allowing to impact your view of parents, education and what is best for children. Parent involvement should be ENCOURAGED, not discouraged, as good parents care more about their child than anyone else ever will. That is not to say that parents should be controlling, manipulative or seek to shape their child into an image, but instead the parent should be there to teach, encourage, and help their child succeed in what the child chooses to do in life. In the end, it is their child's life to lead and make their own path. It is the parents job to give them to tools to best be able to do so.

Parents are very much needed to be involved with their child's education to teach their children how to think and solve their own problems. To answer their questions with honesty, love and compassion. Children should be able to trust to tell their parent anything, and know that their parent is there for them to help them through good times and bad. I completely disagree that school is not a democracy. The means Sir Ken Robinson went to teach those children where they chose what they learned about that day was how he took the children scoring the lowest and had them scoring by genius level by the time they were 12. The idea that school is to force children to conform is part of the problem, when education should exist to improve society and advance mankind. We need to foster creativity rather than "educate it out of them" , as Sir Ken Robinson put it. We create the inventors, engineers and designers of our future by inspiring them to do more, learn more, and expand their ability and understanding rather than try to take more away from them when they already have so much taken from them as it is. We need to give them MORE video games not less since it is not always feasible to give them things such as fire, chemicals, electricity and engines to play with, with Video games, you can give them all those things and not risk them being sent home from school in an ambulance. No only their character was blown up rather than the child. They can learn about how these things work though without having to worry about the idiot behind them in class setting their hair on fire in the process.

MY mother would never allow us to eat school lunches. We had to bring our own lunches here in order to HAVE a healthy meal because the schools serve hamburgers, fries, hot dogs pizza and other CRAP. My lunch from home had fresh Broccoli, Spinach, Carrots, apples, grapes, Tuna, Salmon, various nuts,seeds and berries. Sometimes she would send a hot canister that had soup or a homemade dish she made in it. You are making the assumption that what the school does is better than what the parent does because there are some bad parents out there. Not all parents do that however. My mother not only cooked everything from scratch and taught all her children how to do so, she taught us how to grow, harvest and store our own food. NONE of the schools here serve what my own parents did.
This is also irrelevant to video games, as you can healthy diet and exercise and play video games. These days you can exercise and play games at the same time.

It is not just the work environment at RIOT that needs to be cleaned up, it is their gaming community as well. That only addresses part of the problem rather than the whole.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Simply because you do not like it does not mean that it is unhealthy. And student clubs take place IN the school, not outside of it. They may use an empty classroom or corner of the gym , auditorium or library depending on what is available, but in the school none the less. Not only do they have events after class at the school, they are even at times given permission from teachers to leave class to participate in these events and go on field trips during normal class periods to attend events.
The reason why I don't like it is that it's a bad idea built on bad science. The fact of the matter is we know periodic high physical activity improves lung performance, maximises longterm efficiency of the body to deal with all manner of problems, and increases daily O2 saturation and bloodflow. All of which is of benefit for a developing mind and brain.

Moreover, physical activity increases occipital lobe activity, essentially training the brain and improving vision due to better blood flow performance. Number of kids I saw with vision problems that would be detrimental to both their physical interaction with the world around themas well as general reading efficiency? Even money that part of that is caused by a lack of appropriate physical activity.

All of which is provably better than videogames.

BTW, who says they all have to be Sedentary? I often play games while walking around the room doing other things.My friend in school that i played games with used to hop up and down all crazy while we played. How are they any more or less sedentary than sitting in a classroom doing their English, Math or Engineering assignment? Should they just drop those because they are sedentary as well? I do not see that as being an argument at all here considering the fact they keep students far more sedentary than games do. In fact, they make games that require you to do the opposite of that as well now.
Or they can kick a soccer ball. Costs $20 ... half that with bulk purchases.

There are numerous issues with children with ADHD, parents using Video games, Televison, the internet, dartboards, skeeball or pinball machines as baby sitters is in no way the fault of the media. It is just another easy way not to have to spend proper time with a child. Blaming video games is a scapegoat.
I'm not blaming videogames for ADHD kids ... I'm saying that provably it's not as effective as discipline, diet and periodic high physical activity, and pointing out the obvious physiological and psychological benefits that come with it. How PDHPE is a better way of improving behaviour, physical co-ordination, general health and mental acuity.

Videogames are a shortcut that leads to poorer results.

Moreover it's life strategies that are keenly effective if they go on to university or do an apprenticeship, or simply going through life being less sick and more in tune with their natural and built environments they inhabit at the time. I used to think like you did before going into education. That P.E. was less useful to modern teaching and new age ideas of pedagogy. Took me a whole of one week to become an advocate of stronger PDHPE programs state and nationwide.

Conventional classroom activities are a HUGE part of the problem here, not the solution. We actually need to rework how that is done entirely. I agree with Sir Ken Robinson on this:

You are not trading long term goals for short term success, in fact, you can actually help teach them how both the details and the big picture are important and how to work from point a to point b to be able to accomplish their goals via video games. I see them as being able to assist with both.
Bull dinky... see the thing is people can claim the stock standard idea of mandatory PDHPE 'til Y10 as part of the mandatory education period is somehow some major problem ... but then again there's every reason why we don't all end up running Steiner Schools. Some kids are special needs, grand majority are not. The way parents are treating kids as if they 'just have their quirks' as opposed to recognizing the world cannot be so kind ... is the problem.

While I may disagree on the effectiveness and benefits of discipline, playing video games is not contradictory to a healthy diet and exercise, there is nothing saying that it has to be excluded from their activities or that they very well cannot do both. It can be just as beneficial as reading a book.
No one said it was ...but the thing is time and again it is proven we can't trust parents to play with their kids. We can't trust kids to get an after school job to improve their sense of independence and their own capabilities. I worked on a horse stable when I was 10. I had an after school job at 13 working in an Indian restaurant... part and parcel why I love the food, I used to get a free dinner each night. Manning the tandoor and cleaning out the air vents because I was slim enough to get in there prbably didn't do my lungs any favours, but it did build a sense of self-sufficiency and work. We can't trust parents to teachtheir kids to swim. To teach them how to cook. To teach them to use a sewing machine. To take them to study theatre or dance.

We can't trust parents to do any of this stuff and more. We can't even trust parents not to send threats to the school or students because one pupil just so happens to be LGBTQ.

I know that personally. Parents will just let their kids play videogames rather than do homework. They'll even let their 16 year old go out and get drunk. I knew a 15 year old that was effectively the only real 'parent' to their younger siblings they had. Which is why one time when her younger sister got sick ... she had to ask permission to leave ... and I couldn't do that. It broke my heart but I couldn't until I could talk to my head and the year co-ord to organize something.

Some are merely worse than others, but whether due to personal negligence or the world being chronically unfair to the destitute, they either can't afford to give their kids everything they need, or totally be there for them to instruct them.

In such a world, schools must end up shouldering much of those burdens. If it wasn't for schools, kids would grow into adults of whom don't know whether they can swim or not. Didn't know they had a passion for cooking, or they were skilled using a sewing machine, or gifted at carpentry... or just basic social etiquette. Teachers end up having to do this stuff.

Parents are garbage people.

I think you may have some hang yups from dealing with with some situation that you are allowing to impact your view of parents, education and what is best for children. Parent involvement should be ENCOURAGED, not discouraged, as good parents care more about their child than anyone else ever will. That is not to say that parents should be controlling, manipulative or seek to shape their child into an image, but instead the parent should be there to teach, encourage, and help their child succeed in what the child chooses to do in life. In the end, it is their child's life to lead and make their own path. It is the parents job to give them to tools to best be able to do so.
You want to know the reason why it took forever for coal mine operators to rely on pit ponies in their operations? Because it took forever for various wealthy governments around the world to outlaw the far commercially cheaper alternative of using children instead. Parents ... are garbage. There is a reason why I say that the school is the shield and torch of civilization. Without it, parents would legitimately send their 10 year old children to work in the mines.

Circa 1911, Pennsylvania. 107 years ago...

That is what children would look likeeverywhere at the logical end point of allowing parents to dictate the manner and role of education since winning that crucial decision that every human deserves compulsory access to education. That image right there is what we were fighting against. Every step of the way. Those people that would send those kids into those mines still exist. I've met those types of parents, they still exist.

They're out there, and they're ugly as sin and half as reasonable.

Yeah ... you can say I have hang ups about parents. Why I don't trust them. I never had a problem with the kids (that I couldn't handle). Parents were the ones that frightened me. And all the while I have innumerable images of kids like those in that picture in my head everytime I have people like you saying that we can trust them. The whole reason why I went to work for the Department was because I thought I could contribute some larger good being there. In the end that job was just as disillusioning.

Instead of parents it was bureaucrats and politicians that I ended up fighting every step of the way.

We provably cannot afford to ever simply trust them. Parents ... are garbage.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Lil devils x said:
The reason why I don't like it is that it's a bad idea built on bad science. The fact of the matter is we know periodic high physical activity improves lung performance, maximises longterm efficiency of the body to deal with all manner of problems, and increases daily O2 saturation and bloodflow. All of which is of benefit for a developing mind and brain.

Moreover, physical activity increases occipital lobe activity, essentially training the brain and improving vision due to better blood flow performance. Number of kids I saw with vision problems that would be detrimental to both their physical interaction with the world around themas well as general reading efficiency? Even money that part of that is caused by a lack of appropriate physical activity.

All of which is provably better than videogames.

Or they can kick a soccer ball. Costs $20 ... half that with bulk purchases.

I'm not blaming videogames for ADHD kids ... I'm saying that provably it's not as effective as discipline, diet and periodic high physical activity, and pointing out the obvious physiological and psychological benefits that come with it. How PDHPE is a better way of improving behaviour, physical co-ordination, general health and mental acuity.

Videogames are a shortcut that leads to poorer results.

Moreover it's life strategies that are keenly effective if they go on to university or do an apprenticeship, or simply going through life being less sick and more in tune with their natural and built environments they inhabit at the time. I used to think like you did before going into education. That P.E. was less useful to modern teaching and new age ideas of pedagogy. Took me a whole of one week to become an advocate of stronger PDHPE programs state and nationwide.

Bull dinky... see the thing is people can claim the stock standard idea of mandatory PDHPE 'til Y10 as part of the mandatory education period is somehow some major problem ... but then again there's every reason why we don't all end up running Steiner Schools. Some kids are special needs, grand majority are not. The way parents are treating kids as if they 'just have their quirks' as opposed to recognizing the world cannot be so kind ... is the problem.

While I may disagree on the effectiveness and benefits of discipline, playing video games is not contradictory to a healthy diet and exercise, there is nothing saying that it has to be excluded from their activities or that they very well cannot do both. It can be just as beneficial as reading a book.
No one said it was ...but the thing is time and again it is proven we can't trust parents to play with their kids. We can't trust kids to get an after school job to improve their sense of independence and their own capabilities. I worked on a horse stable when I was 10. I had an after school job at 13 working in an Indian restaurant... part and parcel why I love the food, I used to get a free dinner each night. Manning the tandoor and cleaning out the air vents because I was slim enough to get in there prbably didn't do my lungs any favours, but it did build a sense of self-sufficiency and work. We can't trust parents to teachtheir kids to swim. To teach them how to cook. To teach them to use a sewing machine. To take them to study theatre or dance.

We can't trust parents to do any of this stuff and more. We can't even trust parents not to send threats to the school or students because one pupil just so happens to be LGBTQ.

I know that personally. Parents will just let their kids play videogames rather than do homework. They'll even let their 16 year old go out and get drunk. I knew a 15 year old that was effectively the only real 'parent' to their younger siblings they had. Which is why one time when her younger sister got sick ... she had to ask permission to leave ... and I couldn't do that. It broke my heart but I couldn't until I could talk to my head and the year co-ord to organize something.

Some are merely worse than others, but whether due to personal negligence or the world being chronically unfair to the destitute, they either can't afford to give their kids everything they need, or totally be there for them to instruct them.

In such a world, schools must end up shouldering much of those burdens. If it wasn't for schools, kids would grow into adults of whom don't know whether they can swim or not. Didn't know they had a passion for cooking, or they were skilled using a sewing machine, or gifted at carpentry... or just basic social etiquette. Teachers end up having to do this stuff.

Parents are garbage people.

I think you may have some hang yups from dealing with with some situation that you are allowing to impact your view of parents, education and what is best for children. Parent involvement should be ENCOURAGED, not discouraged, as good parents care more about their child than anyone else ever will. That is not to say that parents should be controlling, manipulative or seek to shape their child into an image, but instead the parent should be there to teach, encourage, and help their child succeed in what the child chooses to do in life. In the end, it is their child's life to lead and make their own path. It is the parents job to give them to tools to best be able to do so.
You want to know the reason why it took forever for coal mine operators to rely on pit ponies in their operations? Because it took forever for various wealthy governments around the world to outlaw the far commercially cheaper alternative of using children instead. Parents ... are garbage. There is a reason why I say that the school is the shield and torch of civilization. Without it, parents would legitimately send their 10 year old children to work in the mines.

Circa 1911, Pennsylvania. 107 years ago...

That is what children would look likeeverywhere at the logical end point of allowing parents to dictate the manner and role of education since winning that crucial decision that every human deserves compulsory access to education. That image right there is what we were fighting against. Every step of the way. Those people that would send those kids into those mines still exist. I've met those types of parents, they still exist.

They're out there, and they're ugly as sin and half as reasonable.

Yeah ... you can say I have hang ups about parents. Why I don't trust them. I never had a problem with the kids (that I couldn't handle). Parents were the ones that frightened me. And all the while I have innumerable images of kids like those in that picture in my head everytime I have people like you saying that we can trust them. The whole reason why I went to work for the Department was because I thought I could contribute some larger good being there. In the end that job was just as disillusioning.

Instead of parents it was bureaucrats and politicians that I ended up fighting every step of the way.

We provably cannot afford to ever simply trust them. Parents ... are garbage.
No, not ALL parents are these horrible people you make them out to be, there are plenty of great parents and it is absurd to assume that all parents are garbage or to assume they do not do what it best for their child. There is no " either or" situation here. I see great parents all the time. Parents who take the time to teach their 3 year old to read and their children have never been given junk food. You pretty much appear to have your blinders up and can only see bad people when there are plenty of great people out there.

People can play soccer and enjoy video games. There is nothing saying they cannot eat healthy and be in fantastic physical health and enjoy video games. In fact, video games can be more beneficial and have longer lasting results than having a child sit down and learn English the traditional way. This is not 1911. We have the capability to utilize the technology we have to do amazing things and we should be able to do so.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Lil devils x said:
No, not ALL parents are these horrible people you make them out to be, there are plenty of great parents and it is absurd to assume that all parents are garbage or to assume they do not do what it best for their child. There is no " either or" situation here. I see great parents all the time. Parents who take the time to teach their 3 year old to read and their children have never been given junk food. You pretty much appear to have your blinders up and can only see bad people when there are plenty of great people out there.
You see great parents all the time. But would you trust any of them with your Rx slips with your name and signature on them? How many of them demand you do something about their flu that requires bed rest and high soluble nutrition, demanding antibiotics that will do precisely fuck all? How many of them will demand drugs to throw at their kids for problems that can be solved holistically through psychosocial alterations and psychotherapy?

No need to answer that, we have statistics after all ... we're not doing so well.

Education requires central planning. Even in so called 'Waldorf education' ... it requires (and demands) central planning. There's some things that parentsand private interests should stay well away from. Allow professionals to be professionals and stop pretendng the scientifically illiterate deserve to make demands on what pedagogy should be.

People can play soccer and enjoy video games. There is nothing saying they cannot eat healthy and be in fantastic physical health and enjoy video games. In fact, video games can be more beneficial and have longer lasting results than having a child sit down and learn English the traditional way. This is not 1911. We have the capability to utilize the technology we have to do amazing things and we should be able to do so.
They certainly can ... but it's utterly pointless to pretend it belongs in school when clearly better activities exist. if videogames were a suitable means to engage kids,I'd be anadvocate for them. But I'm not ... because I'm armed with the evidence that videogames are at best used as a past time.

I'm armed with the evidence we could help remedy the significantly growing numbers of distractibility, vision problems, and poor co-ordination of school students through organized teamwork and motor skills bolstering activities like rugby and soccer. I'm acutely aware of just how much mental acuity can be bolstered by simply jogging around a track. I'm acutely aware of just how much time a school has to impart knowledge and skills necessary for adult life.

Videogames do not factor into any of these.

All the arguments that they can help fight distractibility of students is directly challenged by all the evidence that 'gamification' of young brains inordinately produces an artificially inflated reward response associated with knowledge acquisition. Sounds good on paper until you realize that it inversely increases the problems longterm when students will have to do conventional research.

All the times of just simply hitting those books and poring over words for 5 hours straight that are negatively impacted by the 'gamification' of young brains in their youth.\

Hence, trading longterm goals with short term success. And it's fucking unhealthy. Sorry, the world is not so kind and you will have to do things thatare unfun in the pursuit of achievement. As that will be expected of you in all your endeavours through life.

I fucking love board games. If I had kids, I'd play board games with them ... it would also be a treat. I would sit down with them and help them with their chemistry homework by conventionally looking at their notes, looking up the course curriculum of their year group, and examining their textbooks ... and helping my child conventionally study.

There are still some really awesome educational board games ... like Pathogenesis. Designed concerning how communicable diseases change overtime and how they can attack certain parts of your biological processes to inflict illness or death on humans.

It's a really clever deckbuilder board game. Basically players must compete as an evolving pathogen to overwhelm the human body before it can fight off the infection. So it's a pseudo co-op game where you're engineering your bacteria's constitution to do the most damage to multiple parts of the human body before either the body becomes too resistant, or the host is destroyed and thus another player/team wins by inflicting themost damage on its organs.

And it uses scientific ideas ofthe evolution and means of attack that bacteria undertake to dangerously compromise human health. Like developing a thicker biofilm over colonies to protect from antibacterial mechanisms a body might undertake to attack it. As the game progresses, the body develops moreand more specialized qualities as seen in the immune response to create an emerging gameplay state whereby it's ever more harder to cause critical damage ...

So it's a rundown of not only how bacteria might attack your various biological processes, but also a loose rundown of how your body protects itself... of which players are competing against one another (usually) ... but also cannot completely ignore eachother as when the body shuts down all means of attack, all players struggle to gain anymore points.

It's clever ... and fairly informative. Two thumbs up. You would probably like it as a doctor. If you can think of the most messed up means by which bacteria can utterly upend your life, and the individual mechanics by which this happens, it will probably be in the game. Adenylate cyclase proteins to help initiate a larger colonization and crippling of the pulmonary system? You got it.

Despite all of this, still ancillary to actual education. Actually learning this stuff is not going to be fun and could take decades of your life to truly comprehend it all. You cannot gameify actual knowledge, and trying to do so disincentivizes legitimate attraction towards academic pursuit.

If my kid had vision problems and poor co-ordination, I would push them to play tennis every weekend. If my child was artistically minded, I'd show them how to use my sewing machine, or I would buy them a laptop and a drawing and animation tablet device and I would endeavour to learn how it works so I could engage with their creativity.

But we can't trust parents to do any of this. Teachers must do this stuff. It is to teachers that cannot simply allow students to wither in terms of their exceptionalism.

And that is often not the fault of parents, but lackluster social services ... but then again the results of which either through poverty or negligence, it is the children who suffer it.

And you're right, it's no longer 1911 ... but then again a lot of people would be using that excuse as well back in 1850. Back when states like Massachusetts outrightly had to forbid parents from keeping their children out of schools in order to fight illiteracy. The state made it punishable by removing your kids from you given that the state had to make it a case of child abuse if they did not undergo compulsory education.

Governments had to go that far to make sure parents would do the right thing. We still have to go that far now.

Central planning. It basically makes the world run and keeps children out of coal mines.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Lil devils x said:
You see great parents all the time. But would you trust any of them with your Rx slips with your name and signature on them? How many of them demand you do something about their flu that requires bed rest and high soluble nutrition, demanding antibiotics that will do precisely fuck all? How many of them will demand drugs to throw at their kids for problems that can be solved holistically through psychosocial alterations and psychotherapy?

No need to answer that, we have statistics after all ... we're not doing so well.

Education requires central planning. Even in so called 'Waldorf education' ... it requires (and demands) central planning. There's some things that parentsand private interests should stay well away from. Allow professionals to be professionals and stop pretendng the scientifically illiterate deserve to make demands on what pedagogy should be.

They certainly can ... but it's utterly pointless to pretend it belongs in school when clearly better activities exist. if videogames were a suitable means to engage kids,I'd be anadvocate for them. But I'm not ... because I'm armed with the evidence that videogames are at best used as a past time.

I'm armed with the evidence we could help remedy the significantly growing numbers of distractibility, vision problems, and poor co-ordination of school students through organized teamwork and motor skills bolstering activities like rugby and soccer. I'm acutely aware of just how much mental acuity can be bolstered by simply jogging around a track. I'm acutely aware of just how much time a school has to impart knowledge and skills necessary for adult life.

Videogames do not factor into any of these.

All the arguments that they can help fight distractibility of students is directly challenged by all the evidence that 'gamification' of young brains inordinately produces an artificially inflated reward response associated with knowledge acquisition. Sounds good on paper until you realize that it inversely increases the problems longterm when students will have to do conventional research.

All the times of just simply hitting those books and poring over words for 5 hours straight that are negatively impacted by the 'gamification' of young brains in their youth.\

Hence, trading longterm goals with short term success. And it's fucking unhealthy. Sorry, the world is not so kind and you will have to do things thatare unfun in the pursuit of achievement. As that will be expected of you in all your endeavours through life.

I fucking love board games. If I had kids, I'd play board games with them ... it would also be a treat. I would sit down with them and help them with their chemistry homework by conventionally looking at their notes, looking up the course curriculum of their year group, and examining their textbooks ... and helping my child conventionally study.

There are still some really awesome educational board games ... like Pathogenesis. Designed concerning how communicable diseases change overtime and how they can attack certain parts of your biological processes to inflict illness or death on humans.

It's a really clever deckbuilder board game. Basically players must compete as an evolving pathogen to overwhelm the human body before it can fight off the infection. So it's a pseudo co-op game where you're engineering your bacteria's constitution to do the most damage to multiple parts of the human body before either the body becomes too resistant, or the host is destroyed and thus another player/team wins by inflicting themost damage on its organs.

And it uses scientific ideas ofthe evolution and means of attack that bacteria undertake to dangerously compromise human health.

Despite all of this, still ancillary to actual education. Actually learning this stuff is not going to be fun and could take decades of your life to truly comprehend it all. You cannot gameify actual knowledge, and trying to do so disincentivizes legitimate attraction towards academic pursuit.

If my kid had vision problems and poor co-ordination, I would push them to play tennis every weekend. If my child was artistically minded, I'd show them how to use my sewing machine, or I would buy them a laptop and a drawing and animation tablet device and I would endeavour to learn how it works so I could engage with their creativity.

But we can't trust parents to do any of this. Teachers must do this stuff. It is to teachers that cannot simply allow students to wither in terms of their exceptionalism.

And that is often not the fault of parents, but lackluster social services ... but then again the results of which either through poverty or negligence, it is the children who suffer it.

And you're right, it's no longer 1911 ... but then again a lot of people would be using that excuse as well back in 1850. Back when states like Massachusetts outrightly had to forbid parents from keeping their children out of schools in order to fight illiteracy. The state made it punishable by removing your kids from you given that the state had to make it a case of child abuse if they did not undergo compulsory education.

Governments had to go that far to make sure parents would do the right thing. We still have to go that far now.

Central planning. It basically makes the world run and keeps children out of coal mines.
Have multiple children. Become brilliant parent. Lead by example. Make a difference.

So far you only proved to be terrible material for a teacher - someone who ought to be authority figure and expert in respective field. Yet you show contempt to parents, closest most important relatives to children. Literally their flesh and blood. You disparage parenting and undermine importance of family with holier than thou attitude that state can do better job via schools. Conflict of interests much? Should someone pull out pictures of boarding schools where teachers groomed children to prostitute themselves and conclude that all teachers are rapists and schools and education system is failure? Get a hold of yourself.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Have multiple children. Become brilliant parent. Lead by example. Make a difference.

So far you only proved to be terrible material for a teacher - someone who ought to be authority figure and expert in respective field.
Ad hominems, classy. Okay, what exactly do you have a problem with?

Yet you show contempt to parents, closest most important relatives to children.
Contempt isn't the right word. Distrust. No, I don't just automatically trust parents to do the right thing. As we have evidence they don't to a shocking degree.

Should someone pull out pictures of boarding schools where teachers groomed children to prostitute themselves and conclude that all teachers are rapists and schools and education system is failure? Get a hold of yourself.
I'm pretty sure they should. And I'm pretty sure we should round up and expose any abusers in schools, and have it thoroughly stamped out. Were you expecting me to advocate otherwise?

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Jamcie Kerbizz said:

So far you only proved to be terrible material for a teacher - someone who ought to be authority figure and expert in respective field.
Ad hominems, classy. Okay, what exactly do you have a problem with?

Yet you show contempt to parents, closest most important relatives to children.
Contempt isn't the right word. Distrust. No, I don't just automatically trust parents to do the right thing. As we have evidence they don't to a shocking degree.

Should someone pull out pictures of boarding schools where teachers groomed children to prostitute themselves and conclude that all teachers are rapists and schools and education system is failure? Get a hold of yourself.
I'm pretty sure they should. And I'm pretty sure we should round up and expose any abusers in schools, and have it thoroughly stamped out. Were you expecting me to advocate otherwise?
It's not ad hominem and you prove my point in the very next line. If you were proper teacher and authority figure to children you would follow principle of innocent until proven guilty. There is no place for 'distrust' for state and its agencies. Following your train of thought I should distrust my wife, because there was a mother in Alaska recently, who kept on murdering her newborn children, as they were inconvenient in her chosen lifestyle. They're both women, they're both mothers, everything checks out, right?

What you do are gross generalizations and baseless accusations 'backed' up with picture of suffering children and spun tale of 'personal experience' (anecdotal thus irrelevant evidence).
Let me try it. If I had swapped every single child of these coal miners with this child who was taken care by state

namely revolutionary, communist Russian state. Does it prove now, that state is the worst thing on Earth that can happen to children? Did I just do demagogy right?

I imagine you would be hard pressed to find a single person on Escapist to declare and/or believe child labor is good. Any parent here who doesn't love and strive every single day to give the world to their children. This is why I called what you preach a contempt, since you don't hesitate to abuse uncontextualized, shocking imagery, draw ungrounded conclusion and generalize it over innocent people.

Let me try that too. NONE of parents of these children wanted them to work in coal mine. NONE. However, they could let them work and survive if they are lucky for the little food worth of wage they got or just lay down and starve to death like the girl in above picture.
They didn't earn enough to sustain enough food for themselves and their children so if they just gave children their own food they would starve to death and their children shortly after. They just wanted their children to at least have a shot at survival.

You can't really get away with snide remarks like 'classy', when your own position revolves around things like that and is presented with complete disregard to objectivity and logical reasoning. I object to that.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
I absolutely mean that though (in positive manner, as encouragement, not mockery). If you see the failings of parents (and their parenting) in your field of expertise you absolutely should toss your hat in and start leading by example.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
It's not ad hominem and you prove my point in the very next line.
Ranty, hyperbolic nonsense... right. For starters;

1: The fact that compulsory education had to be a thing and we know that from historical evidence. Massachusetts didn't create what were at the time 'draconian' rules because everything was fine. They did so because they couldn't trust parents to fight illiteracy in the state. Basically prior the advent of compulsory education in Europe the literacy rate of the mid 19th century was roughly 50%. By the start of the 20th century? 90%. And honestly the big percentage of those people in that 10%? Most likely people that couldn't access compulsory education in their youth.

Moreover it created the fertile political groundwork for a series of policies concerning child labour laws. It also created the fertile grounds for greater gender equality in society.

One third of women literate in Victorian England? By Edwardian period, parity with males (roughly 94% by 1905). Compulsory education created the benchmarks to creating a functional curriculum and time tested best practice through empirical testing as the years have gone by. So long as the political will to maintain it is afforded, that is.

2: It's not uncommon for the fact that services require authority. In the same way every restaurant should have routine health inspections. Health inspections are not democratic, nor are they fundamentally any true argument of state power beyond the imposition of recognizing we're better off with health inspectors doing their job.

Jamcie Kerbizz said:
I absolutely mean that though (in positive manner, as encouragement, not mockery). If you see the failings of parents (and their parenting) in your field of expertise you absolutely should toss your hat in and start leading by example.
Me: "Whether through a combination of poverty, political corruption or negligence, parents cannot be trusted solely by the simple virtue of being parents. Particularly in terms of a child's education."

You: "Well, like, go on. Have kids if you feel that way..."

That would validate my argument ... how? I mean I've considered adopting, but I honestly don't think I'm the right person to be a parent. Precisely because I don't trust myself to be a parent. So if I told you I haven't considered having kids because I'm not sure I would be a good mother, that would invalidate my argument? Or would it strengthen it? Because I'm taking personal responsibility of choosing not to have kids if I'm not sure I would make a good parent?

Can I lead by example by saying; "No. Kids are hard work."

I mean that seems equally 'leaderish'.

I also think that vaccinations are important, and preventative medicine measures should be of higher focus in terms of public health. Are you going to ask me to start a pharmaceuticals research firm? What exactly would that prove beyond I am deeply unqualified to do so? I could probably run a gym with a 12 month course, that sort of qualifies as preventative medicine. Promoting fitness, etc. I think I'm fit enough to be a gym instructor or mentor, or whatever they call them. But, you know ... no.

I'm pretty good with my cousin's kid. I've even gotten her interested in orienteering. But then again, being a 'fun aunty' with 'cool stuff' like climbing aids and maps filled in with pencil marks of places I've explored with a log journal, and teaching them how to use a compass ...

All of that is not the same as taking them to the GP. Spending two/three nights sleeplessly because they have pertussis and during the worst stretches of it you're deeply worried each time you hear them having trouble breathing properly due to congestion.

I'm just there to give my cousin the occasional break when she and her hubby want to go away for a day or two. That's not being a parent. It's easy to have fun with kids and tell them stories about places I've been. Almost magical places you can visit on Earth... that's not being a parent, however.

That's just entertainment and temporary hosting. You feed them, play games with them, talk to them, teach them stuff, set curfews, make sure they don't just eat ice cream-though arguably the pides I ordered last time wasn't that much healthier ... it's fun, not parenting.

I'm honestly frightened I'll fail at it if I give it too much thought. And if we're being honest I don't think that sense of terror of being an actual parent is unreasonable. I can be a fun aunty ... I am deeply unsure I can be a good parent ... because I've seen enough of what happens if I didn't live up to that. Being a 'fun aunty' is the capacity of saying; "I'll be free this Friday night and Saturday, sure..." Being a parent is not that elective with time.

None of that should be considered unreasonable a terror, however. But then again I don't need to worry about it.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Ranty, hyperbolic nonsense... right. For starters;
I could have wrote this initially and would perfectly summarize everything you poured in here to back your opinions.
Didn't do that cause I wanted to address the way you formulated it. Even mimicked it so you could basically 'look into the mirror'.
I am well aware that is nonsensical and ranty. Problem is you do not or rather not when it is you yourself doing it.
Just read again what you wrote. Sentence by sentence. Apply logic, ask yourself are this conclusions fairy drawn. Answer: hell NO.

Me: "Whether through a combination of poverty, political corruption or negligence, parents cannot be trusted solely by the simple virtue of being parents. Particularly in terms of a child's education."

You: "Well, like, go on. Have kids if you feel that way..."

That would validate my argument ... how? I mean I've considered adopting, but I honestly don't think I'm the right person to be a parent. Precisely because I don't trust myself to be a parent. So if I told you I haven't considered having kids because I'm not sure I would be a good mother, that would invalidate my argument? Or would it strengthen it? Because I'm taking personal responsibility of choosing not to have kids if I'm not sure I would make a good parent?

Can I lead by example by saying; "No. Kids are hard work."

I mean that seems equally 'leaderish'.

I also think that vaccinations are important, and preventative medicine measures should be of higher focus in terms of public health. Are you going to ask me to start a pharmaceuticals research firm? What exactly would that prove beyond I am deeply unqualified to do so? I could probably run a gym with a 12 month course, that sort of qualifies as preventative medicine. Promoting fitness, etc. I think I'm fit enough to be a gym instructor or mentor, or whatever they call them. But, you know ... no.

I'm pretty good with my cousin's kid. I've even gotten her interested in orienteering. But then again, being a fun 'aunty' with 'cool stuff' like climbing aids and maps filled in with pencil marks of places I've explored with a log journal, and teaching them how to use a compass ...

All of that is not the same as taking them to the GP. Spending two/three nights sleeplessly because they have pertussis and during the worst stretches of it you're deeply worried each time they hear them having trouble breathing properly due to congestion.

I'm just there to give my cousin the occasional break when she and her hubby want to go away for a day or two. That's not being a parent. It's easy to have fun with kids and tell them stories about places I've been. Almost magical places you can visit on Earth... that's not being a parent, however.

That's just entertainment and temporary hosting. You feed them, play games with them, talk to them ... it's fun, not parenting.

I'm honestly frightened I'll fail at it if I give it too much thought. And if we're being honest I don't think that sense of terror of being an actual parent is unreasonable. I can be a fun aunty ... I am deeply unsure I can be a good parent ... because I've seen enough of what happens if I didn't live up to that.

None of that should be considered unreasonable.
As outlandish as it may sound your attitude and what you describe as yourself perfectly encapsulates my stance on having children and being a parent. Many years ago now.
I was absolutely convinced and came to terms with that I will not and 100% should not be a parent. That was before I met my wife and she straight up said she'd like to have 3 kids.

That thing you call 'frightened I'll fail at it if I give it too much thought' its called f-ing being a responsible adult with self-awareness of ones own flaws. It is natural. F-me if society doesn't really need more parents with that trait. Being a parent is natural (and you'll infer many things just by acting on instincts, plus you'll have another adult vetting/contesting your decisions) and requires plenty of here-right-now decision making (no book or lecture will help you with). That will come much easier and will procure much better results when you are that self-conscious, than if you were someone who doesn't give 2-shits about anything.

PS. In regards of vaccines, vaccinate your children for god-damn everything you can afford. Doctor can help plan out vaccination calendar so they don't conflict etc. Especially, if your lifestyle requires frequent travels. Kids catch on tons of illnesses anyway, why not spare them few, especially ones that could ruin or end their lives.
PS. My encouragement stands, I still think you would be great parent. Doesn't change the fact your generalized 'reasoning' and view on parenting vs role of the state is, to say politely, 'flawed'...