Dino D-Day: The Best World War II Shooter Ever

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dino D-Day: The Best World War II Shooter Ever

To hell with zombies - World War II would have been so much more awesome if Hitler had brought back the freakin' dinosaurs.

The overdone World War II FPS has become such a running joke in the industry and gaming press that it's actually kind of bold for a company - especially a smaller company - to actually make a new one. How can you possibly make goose-stepping, Sieg-Heiling Nazis interesting again?

Answer: You give them Tyrannosaurus Rexes.

Dino D-Day is a FPS slated for release in 2010, where the player is in the shoes of famous-paleontologist-turned-soldier Sgt. Jack Hardgrave fighting in the Northern African campaign of the Second World War. Of course, in real life, the Allies in the African theater just had to contend with the military mind of Erwin Rommel. In Dino D-Day, the Nazis have resurrected the dinosaurs.

While the game will see a commercial release of its own, the developers have apparently released a teaser Half-Life 2 mod [http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/halflife2/mod/33733.html?details=1]. I haven't downloaded it yet, and I don't know if it's any good, but I do know that this is the best idea ever. Seriously, why has it taken game designers so long to come up with "Hey, what if Hitler had a pet Deinonychus?"

(Kokugamer [http://kokugamer.com/2009/11/16/hitler-dinosaurs-half-life-2-oh-my/])

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
I don't think it'll be a good game, but I hope it is, really, really hope it is.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
OH MY FREAKING GOD.

Who the hell put my two favourite things together? I want to bum them.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
WrongSprite said:
OH MY FREAKING GOD.

Who the hell put my two favourite things together? I want to bum them.
I don't know what that means, but I'm scared...

OT:
Hmm...I might play it if the dino's were zombies and the Nazi's were werewolf-aliens. I mean hey, if you're going to mix crazy shit like this, why half-ass it?

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
This is the best idea ever.

It's just too bad that fps games need to have crazy shit like this to be considered original.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
feather240 said:
As long as there's no- JESUS CHRIST RAPTORS!
Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins! Do not mock his sacrifice!

That said I think there is still a lot you can do with World War II based games, without reaching for things like this. Albeit I don't think the world is quite ready to abandon political correctness enough to give the genere a real breath of fresh air.

Unless the Dinosaurs are REALLY exagerrated, I see no real point when you have tanks and planes.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
This...

This is awesome.

I hope it turns out to be a functional shooter, because if it ends up being really bad like Darkest of Days, I'd be most disappointed.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
most likely going to be, if not horrible then disappointing, but i will still pre order it off steam, aslong as i get to use a rocket launcher or some other weapon whit splash damage to kill a dinosaur and some nazis at the same time it will be alright.

Pilot Bush

Aug 20, 2009
WHAT IN THE FUCK?
Excellent someone finally told the generic WW2 FPS to fuck right off and made something unique

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
It's like the concept of the game exudes an aura of awesome so badass that all the posts in this thread became more badass as a result.

Proof. [http://www.boobsandexplosions.org]

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
...holy hell. That sounds god damn amazing, even if it is a generic WWII shooter, the fact that it's doing things this outlandish have sealed the Nazi's as histories "what if" fictional supervillains!

I'd like to express my thoughts on this concept, but I think Seto Kaiba said it best when he said: "Fuuuuuu-"

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
O_O Ok, I am so playing this when it comes out just for the sake of it. If it's bad, then I'll have myself a good laugh. If it's good, then sweeeeeet.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
PLEASE be good

Make it a Survivial thing...where you have to use teamwork to take down big dinosaurs and try and kill raptors and the like before they reach you

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I'm so gonna buy this game. And who here remembers Dino Crisis?

(Great, now I have the Jurassic Park theme music stuck in my head... dah da, dah da, Der daaaaah der da da DAAAA!!!)