Dino D-Day: The Best World War II Shooter Ever

Connosaurus Rex

Jul 20, 2009
I hope the Nazi Dinos were nazi uniforms and have all the other crazy stuff like that. I want this game right now also.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Therumancer said:
That said I think there is still a lot you can do with World War II based games, without reaching for things like this. Albeit I don't think the world is quite ready to abandon political correctness enough to give the genere a real breath of fresh air.
Namely? How does political correctness affect this over-saturation at all? We've yet to bring out such "potential classics" as "The Sims: Concentration Camp"? "Call of Duty: Kritzkrieg"? "Cooking Mama: Hitler Edition"? We've played Allies, Nazis, Pacific front, the entire European front, Russian front... We've had magic, zombies, robots, mutants and aliens involved... We've had silly and gritty... We've played as soldiers, spies, tank commanders, pilots and even generals...

What is honestly missing? I don't remember any other entire genre that has been this explored, this abused... What is there left to do? Between all the games, series and movies, the remakes of D-Day alone are bigger than the entire fucking war was.

I suppose this sort of sums my feelings towards this. Dinosaurs in a shooter... Can be cool, yes, interesting... Hasn't been very explored yet, Turok and Dino Crysis certainly left room to mess with. Why the fuck is it WWII AGAIN...? Is it ALL for the inevitable "moneyshot" of a T-rex or group of raptors with swastikas?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Caliostro said:
Therumancer said:
That said I think there is still a lot you can do with World War II based games, without reaching for things like this. Albeit I don't think the world is quite ready to abandon political correctness enough to give the genere a real breath of fresh air.
Namely? How does political correctness affect this over-saturation at all? We've yet to bring out such "potential classics" as "The Sims: Concentration Camp"? "Call of Duty: Kritzkrieg"? "Cooking Mama: Hitler Edition"? We've played Allies, Nazis, Pacific front, the entire European front, Russian front... We've had magic, zombies, robots, mutants and aliens involved... We've had silly and gritty... We've played as soldiers, spies, tank commanders, pilots and even generals...

What is honestly missing? I don't remember any other entire genre that has been this explored, this abused... What is there left to do? Between all the games, series and movies, the remakes of D-Day alone are bigger than the entire fucking war was.

I suppose this sort of sums my feelings towards this. Dinosaurs in a shooter... Can be cool, yes, interesting... Hasn't been very explored yet, Turok and Dino Crysis certainly left room to mess with. Why the fuck is it WWII AGAIN...? Is it ALL for the inevitable "moneyshot" of a T-rex or group of raptors with swastikas?

Remember the suggested "Seven Days In Fallujah" game? A game that wanted to approach the subject of war "realistically" in sort of the fashion of a Survival Horror game?

In general, the overwhelming majority of WW II games take a huge "Allies, are shining white knights, the Nazis are horrible over the top evil". Granted there have been some takes trying to be more realistic than others with you know lots of mud, and some shades of gray that were within permissable levels. All basicall reinforcing the image of World War II as "the last good war" but at the same time causing people to forget what it is to really fight.

If you were to say make a game about the final days of Berlin with the allies engaging the Volkssturm, slaughtering civilians, and doing all of the kinds of things we did but pretend we didn't (and only exist in old photographs that you usually have to request books of if you even know the titles), I think you could give the genere a rather unique spin, and then that spin could be re-explored in all the supernatural stuff.

What's more the whole "Nazis bad" thing is taken to extremes. You could for example do a game portraying characters as being part of Hitler's occult forces fighting supernatural menaces just as much as his guys could be "devil worshippers out to support the reich with black magic" or whatever today's spin on it is. The war of course largely being a backdrop.

You could also do a game all about recovering artworks and such. While not politically correct to "remember", it should be noted that one of the things that fueled the Holocaust was the way a lot of lost treasures and such were being pulled out of the vaults of Synagogues and off the estates of wealthy jewish landlords (among other things). A lot of the collections currently held by museums actually owe the Nazis a large debt for recovering this stuff, and once in a while you hear about a suit being brough up demanding some museum or other "return" an art treasure to a Jewish family whose ancestors "stole it first" for all intents and purposes. Issues about various items of antinquity being "bathed in jewish blood" exist for this reason.

The point is that the Nazis WERE bad, and we were generally the good guys. But they were not AS bad as is claimed, nor were we AS good. You don't need to create a concentration camp sim, or anything that ridiculous. You can however see a lot of story potential in the gray areas that people are afraid to explore.

I simply think nobody has the guts to go there and stick to their guns.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
lvl9000_woot said:
WrongSprite said:
OH MY FREAKING GOD.

Who the hell put my two favourite things together? I want to bum them.
I don't know what that means, but I'm scared...

OT:
Hmm...I might play it if the dino's were zombies and the Nazi's were werewolf-aliens. I mean hey, if you're going to mix crazy shit like this, why half-ass it?
you know this reminds me of that one movie
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IF-pUE6gX_Y/STtL8OWL0FI/AAAAAAAAAis/WY_-BZjAudk/s400/Nazi%2BDemon.jpg
oh yea werewolf in londen...man most fucked up seen ever
I'll explain the scene
First hes bitten by a werewolf and survives he goes to a hospitol and falls asleep

This is where it gets weird. He has a dream that werewolf nazi zombies are attacking his family. Then he wakes up after getting his throat slit the nurse comes in going "whats wrong?" then she opens up a window curtain and ANOTHER freaking werewolf nazi zombie comes through the curtain. He wakes up again then he looks over to his left and sees a zombiefied version of his best friend and he wasn't dreaming.

here is a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4a7109DEZg&feature=player_embedded

ajb924

Jun 3, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
I don't know whether I should facepalm, or high five someone.
I'm high-fiving my facepalm

This will be the most awesome thing ever. Just when you think WWII has gotten boring they make fucking DINOSAURS!

Mr.Governor

Nov 10, 2009
Remember the suggested "Seven Days In Fallujah" game? A game that wanted to approach the subject of war "realistically" in sort of the fashion of a Survival Horror game?

In general, the overwhelming majority of WW II games take a huge "Allies, are shining white knights, the Nazis are horrible over the top evil". Granted there have been some takes trying to be more realistic than others with you know lots of mud, and some shades of gray that were within permissable levels. All basicall reinforcing the image of World War II as "the last good war" but at the same time causing people to forget what it is to really fight.

If you were to say make a game about the final days of Berlin with the allies engaging the Volkssturm, slaughtering civilians, and doing all of the kinds of things we did but pretend we didn't (and only exist in old photographs that you usually have to request books of if you even know the titles), I think you could give the genere a rather unique spin, and then that spin could be re-explored in all the supernatural stuff.

What's more the whole "Nazis bad" thing is taken to extremes. You could for example do a game portraying characters as being part of Hitler's occult forces fighting supernatural menaces just as much as his guys could be "devil worshippers out to support the reich with black magic" or whatever today's spin on it is. The war of course largely being a backdrop.

You could also do a game all about recovering artworks and such. While not politically correct to "remember", it should be noted that one of the things that fueled the Holocaust was the way a lot of lost treasures and such were being pulled out of the vaults of Synagogues and off the estates of wealthy jewish landlords (among other things). A lot of the collections currently held by museums actually owe the Nazis a large debt for recovering this stuff, and once in a while you hear about a suit being brough up demanding some museum or other "return" an art treasure to a Jewish family whose ancestors "stole it first" for all intents and purposes. Issues about various items of antinquity being "bathed in jewish blood" exist for this reason.

The point is that the Nazis WERE bad, and we were generally the good guys. But they were not AS bad as is claimed, nor were we AS good. You don't need to create a concentration camp sim, or anything that ridiculous. You can however see a lot of story potential in the gray areas that people are afraid to explore.

I simply think nobody has the guts to go there and stick to their guns.
Cool story,bro

dodokiller88

Dec 25, 2008
I feel obligated to mention that while Nazis + Dinosaurs is a fairly original idea, "Time Gentlemen, Please!" has goose-stepping nazi-robot-dinosaurs a plenty.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
I downloaded the mod like a week ago, it wasn't all that great, lots of glitches, very linear gameplay, stupid enemy AI, only 3 weapons, and no voice overs.

But it is still a teaser, so the full game could be pretty cool, or it could be a Wolfenstien clone with Zombies instead of ghosts.

Mod download (requires a Source engine game)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dino-d-day/news/dino-d-day-the-mod-released

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I have said for years that just randomly mixing two completely different things, that are in no way realted or rooted in reality, would make for interesting gameplay.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
This would be cool, but the trailer I saw over at the Shack a few weeks ago was really ugly, like really really ugly. It did not look good at all, it's cool they have a new-ish setting but if they can't make a fun game, I really don't care.