Director Uwe Boll Swears Off Kickstarter In YouTube Rant

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Director Uwe Boll Swears Off Kickstarter In YouTube Rant

"For me, crowdfunding is absolutely dead."

Uwe Boll, known to videogame fans as the director of numerous game-to-film adaptations, including Postal, Alone in the Dark, and House of the Dead, has released a profanity-laden rant aimed at crowdfunding. The video comes as a Kickstarter campaign [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063316815/rampage-3-no-mercy] attempting to fund production of his latest project, Rampage 3, limps toward its conclusion with less than half of its goal and fewer than four days remaining.

"Basically, my message is, fuck you," says Boll, "because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website." Boll goes on to complain about the crowdfunding system's failure to deliver on his expectations.

"We get approached by people like Kickstarter, 'Do it! Do it!,' and you have hundreds of thousands of people contacting you to make a fast dime, to say, 'we can push your campaign and I get ten percent of whatever you collect,' and it's all fucking bullshit and I will never do it in my life again."

The Rampage films tell the story of a spree killer, played by Brendan Fletcher, who is motivated to kill out of revenge and a desire to reduce overpopulation. The first film earned critical praise (unusual for Boll's films) on its release in 2009 and a sequel, Rampage: Capital Punishment arrived in 2014.

The Rampage 3 Kickstarter is Boll's second attempt at crowdfunding production of the film. An IndieGoGo drive in January [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rampage-3-no-mercy#/story] managed to raise only 6% of its $100,000 (CAD) goal. The Kickstarter campaign, which saw the funding target decreased by roughly 30% from that earlier effort, currently sits at just under $26,000 of the $55,794 (USD) it needs to be funded.

With the campaign appearing doomed, Boll claims to have decided to give up on the project. Despite his opinion that it is, "an important film," Boll acknowledges, "nobody seems to care about Rampage 3, so, I guess I shouldn't do it, then."

But don't worry about poor Uwe. He's going to be just fine, as he notes that he has, "enough money to play golf until [he's] dead."

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1J65KHX8E]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What a nice surprise! Now if you'll be so kind Uwe to swear off making movies period, that'd be wonderful.

I never understood how that garbage Rampage ever got critical acclaim. In the words of Zoidberg; your films are bad and you should feel bad!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*Spurts out tea*
Critically acclaimed? ...rampage? I seriously missed that punchline. Heart of America was sort of good. That is about all I remember being able to tolerate of his work. What a waste of tea.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Dude is older then 40 and actting like a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum. Does miss boll need a nappy poo?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
*Spurts out tea*
Critically acclaimed? ...rampage? I seriously missed that punchline. Heart of America was sort of good. That is about all I remember being able to tolerate of his work. What a waste of tea.
well, Rampage is widely considered to be his best, and to be a legitimately good film
so I'd say it counts for "critically acclaimed", even if that term sounds way more grand than it actually is

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
"because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website."
That, I think is the most telling quote of them all. He sees things like Kung Fury, and a bunch of other low-budget flicks, games, whatever get funded and he thinks "I'm a big time professional filmmaker who's worked with Jason Statham and shit. I should get funded like nothing." And then he doesn't, and it eats at him. People making fun of his films is one thing, he doesn't give a shit about that. For people to make fun of his movies, they already had to pay money of some sort to see them in the first place, so he's already got his. But this, this eats away at whatever professional pride he has in himself. It hits him right in the soul.

It's kind of amazing to see :p

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
House of the Dead remains the most terrible movie I've ever seen, glad he's gone.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
He wanted me to pay him to make more garbage. Sure. Let me get out my invisible credit card.

Captcha: Miloko Plus Vellocet. Sounds like a Vita game.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
awwwww, poor Uwe Boll, Germany no longer allows you to write off all your movies for practically nothing of cost to you. And now your kickstarter has all but failed because when you give people the option to fund your movies, they decline. If it still somehow makes it I'll be surprised.

I love the fact too his video is simply titled "Fuck you all" yes, really inspires us to like you. You know what I wish I could do? Get Mike Tyson to take up movie reviewing. Wonder how long you'll last in the ring.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Silentpony said:
So there IS a God. And he's a gamer.
No, there are German accountants.

There used to be a legal loophole in Germany that allowed donation to the 'arts' to be set against tax disproportionately (as in a small donation equated to a big tax break) . That loophole got closed a few years ago and the investments for Uwe's movies dried up with it. Nobody ever actually wanted Uwe to make movies, it was just financially expedient to give him money.

Never mess with accountants, especially not German ones.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
"I have enough money to play golf until I'm dead"

On one hand, life is a wonderful, precious thing to be cherished and while I wouldn't argue for, say, a microbe's right to live, sentience means a man, no matter how wicked, has the capacity to feel both joy and suffering much like I do. I hope, that mr Boll does live a long and fulfilling life.

On the other hand, although I feel kind of bad for even coming up with the idea, if he likes REALLY expensive golf, at least I can be completely sure he never directs again...

Edit: Also, Uwe's grumpycat face on the article's thumbnail? Hilarious.

Oct 20, 2010
rcs619 said:
"because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website."
Yeah FUCK Bill Nye and FUCK science! What an Immature ass-hat Bil Nye is for realizing Carl Sagan's dream AND circumventing both Governments and Capitalist Corporate Hijacking to get a Solar Sail Satelite in orbit!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Uh-oh, sounds like someone has a severe case of butt-hurt! Somebody better call the Wahmbulance!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Whats wrong? spend all the nazi gold? Im sorry people crowd fund people that had a good history with the product, not the guy that makes mediocre movies to take advantage of a loophole in German tax law.

That said, i did like the first Rampage was alright, in a "now that's what i call edgy" kind of way.