DirectX 12 Will be Exclusive to Windows 10

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Well this is definitely good news for me. I was worried about either having to postpone having an OS until windows 10 came out to finish building my PC for fear of having wasted money. But now it sounds like I could buy the cheaper of the two versions ASAP and just upgrade as soon as I'm given the option.

Hekler

Nov 13, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Free for a year? Why?

If their plan is a subscription based operating system they can go fuck themselves. No self-respecting gamer will fall for this crap.

This is what's gonna happen if Windows 10 is a subscription based OS. Either people will pirate it in mass numbers, or Nvidia and Intel will adopt AMD's Mantle (Intel is already interested in Mantle). And since Mantle essentially does the same thing as Dx12 we won't be needing DirectX anymore. Developers will embrace it as well since all the GPU manufacturers will be using it and it supports Windows 7 and Windows 8. At that point we may witness the Linux Renaissance.
For 1 year, you can upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1 to 10 for free. You are inventing things to be outraged about.

I think people need to chill out a bit, everyone always gets so rabid with MS news.

I've been using Win10 since they allowed access, not on my main PC, and as someone that like Windows 7 and doesn't like Windows 8's UI, I can say I will be moving to Windows 10. It works almost the same as Win7, but has more features that I'll use.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
On the Xbox One front, I'm not really liking how many exclusives are coming out on both. I mean granted, it's great for the consumers as more people get access to the game, provided they upgrade in Fable Legends' case, but what's the point in buying an Xbox One if the exclusives show up on PC?
Well it's the best DVD player I've ever owned. And blu-ray to as my PS3 decided it didn't like discs anymore and won't give them back without using a screwdriver to open it. I suppose it's potential as a streaming box could be quite high, we'll have to see what they do with this.

Halo is still probably staying xbox only. ):

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm still skeptical about upgrading from 7 to 10 so I will probably wait until I see if we get games DX12 only or not. We shouldn't because DX11 is now the DX9 of yesteryear aka 90% of games that come out (that are not small budget indies) are on DX11.

With that said..if I can (as a PC only gamer) play X1 games on Windows 10 then I might make the jump as well.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
RatGouf said:
I'm waiting for Gabe Newell to switch from freaking out about Windows 8 to freaking out about Windows 10.

Steven Bogos said:
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
The only real reason to as why I would buy a PS4 currently is for ESO & other MMOs. Those aren't really being held "Hostage". But they'll probably give me something to do with my friends on PSN. Plus since MMOs can't run mods I don't really see the excitement in playing them on a PC instead.

Xbox One on the other hand I probably want to buy Sunset Overdrive before it becomes free from GWG. Just so I can own that game without having to worry about losing it if or when my GWG would expire on Xbox One. If Sunset Overdrive ever came to Steam I'd probably buy it again.

I don't have a problem owning single player games that I like more than once. But I also intend on eventually buying my future Elder Scrolls & Saints Rows games purely on PC as long as they can have mods & run on a Steam Machine.

In other news Nintendo is holding Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, & Zombie U hostage!
*Insert World's Smallest Violin Here*
GWG freebies are yours even if your account sub expires, downloaded a bunch in my free trial and still have em.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Rozalia1 said:
Seems the escapist is really doubling down on its community by how these articles keep being written... getting pretty irritating as I don't like such heavy pandering (not to mention the support of illegal practices openly or not)... but I'm not one to get all pissy and leave over such things.
you know I think its getting pretty obvious that you've got an axe to grind here, like...not only this is about as innocuous as it gets but its ACTUALLY RELEVENT

no scratch that...most stuff relating to the PC is relevant
RicoADF said:
I have Windows 10 preview, to be honest it leaves 8 eating dust and while not quite as good as 7 it gets pretty close. I still prefer 7 but meh, maybe someday Aero will return and rid us of this fisher price looking interface.
is that the transparency thing in the design?

fuck microsoft for telling me what I can/cant have on my desktop!!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
What kind of irritates me is that if DX12 does get adopted by a lot of developers, it pretty much forces people to upgrade to Windows 10 if you want to continue getting the best performance in games. That being said though, at least Windows 10 looks somewhat decent, and at least we wont have to pay for it.

I will probably take Microsoft up on their offer. When my HDD packs in, I will need to reinstall windows again, so it may as well be Windows 10.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well I'll take the positive that the upgrade will be free for a year, then the OS is mine for life. Nice.

But yeah I'm with the others who'll wait 11.5 months before upgrading.. I get along fine enough with W7 thanks.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Well that's surprisingly balanced for Microsoft. I mean it's not as good as simply supporting DirectX 12 on multiple OS versions, but people have been predicting that bit of exclusivity since they realized that the number twelve comes after eleven. I'll probably do the upgrade. It's not like I don't still have my Win7 disc if I change my mind.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Neronium said:
if it's made by a first party title then that's not holding something hostage as it wouldn't exist otherwise.
considering that this statement is completely false, Mr. Bogos here is correct.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
So now Windows 8 becomes truly useless for gamers?
On the contrary, gamers always benefited from 8. Its different kernel allowed much less microstuter and offered other improvements that gamers like. Its a shame its all wrapped up in such horrible UI. its like having a Ferrari and using the body of Lada. It drives fast but damn does it look ugly doing so.

Rozalia1 said:
Come now we get enough of that already. First party games and third party exclusives (by choice) are not "hostages".
Exclusives have always had one purpose, no change occurred.
Apperently not enough, because you still dont understand how exclusives harm gaming. and you are correct, there is no change, they always did.

Hekler said:
Adam Jensen said:
For 1 year, you can upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1 to 10 for free.
Not free. You are forfeiting your windows 7/8 license for it. This is a cost.

seditary said:
lol they're doing this again because it worked out so well last time.
Not really the reason im afraid. very likely this is because the other windows would simply not be able to run it without significant updates, just like old GPUs wont be able to run it. this was true when DX10 came out and couldnt be run on XP. big ruckus was made, but the thing was, there was just no way to make DX10 run on XP because XP wasnt capable of it.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Free for a year? Why?

If their plan is a subscription based operating system they can go fuck themselves. No self-respecting gamer will fall for this crap.
I'd be fine if the subscription was $10 a year. I mean, I usually keep OS's for about 10 years anyway, purchasing the OEM versions for $99 or less.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Come now we get enough of that already. First party games and third party exclusives (by choice) are not "hostages".
Exclusives have always had one purpose, no change occurred.
In the past those exclusives were in part because of different hardware, which made it hard or even impossible to release them to another consoles.
I think sonic was originally something like a glorified techdemo to show of how fast the sega system can draw.

Today the purpose is only to force players to buy a specific console because they wouldn't be able to play the game otherwise. At least the Sony and Microsoft consoles are to similar in regards of their hardware capabilities for different reasons.
That is pretty much a hostage or blackmail situation.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
That is ...... generous of them i must say, messed around a bit with windows 10 in a VM and it was ok, old start menu back ( with live tiles at the side come on MS why ? Just give us the win7 start menu ... Anyway, windows 10 was good i liked it and a free upgrade for all 7/8/8.1 users that not bad in my book. But for 1 year i think is silly, just turn all windows 7-8.1 licences into windows 10 licences and be done with it , make it so any of them are licensed for all 3 OSes. And rarther than selling a copy of windows xxxx whatever why not sell people a general windows licence and they are licensed for any OS they want be it windows 1.0 or windows 10.

EDIT

I think if they change there licence model they would have way less pirated versions and in the long run make more money. I mean limited install, have to reactivate when you change hardware ,500 million different versions of the same os, its all just too complex for the general consumer to deal with.

Sell one OS and sell the stuff that would be in win 10 pro or win 10 enterprise as extras on the store just like apple does with the iLife and iWorks software.

Even better you don't have to support the millions of versions of your OS just one version. People can go into the store and say i want a copy of windows and you get it put it in and install and it works.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Vault101 said:
you know I think its getting pretty obvious that you've got an axe to grind here, like...not only this is about as innocuous as it gets but its ACTUALLY RELEVENT

no scratch that...most stuff relating to the PC is relevant
Its pretty well known I frown on the piracy/emulation articles going "try it out in these links, its cool... but we're totally not in support of this because we need to cover our arses" articles.

Strazdas said:
Apperently not enough, because you still dont understand how exclusives harm gaming. and you are correct, there is no change, they always did.
Clearly as you have forgotten all about my points on that. Ah yes that old chestnut that a company should cater to you someone who isn't a customer. Anyway I've gone through the fact that a lot of games wouldn't have been made/given a chance/supported without the big bad triumvirate of the nWo.

Well than we in agreement on something.

Neonsilver said:
In the past those exclusives were in part because of different hardware, which made it hard or even impossible to release them to another consoles.
I think sonic was originally something like a glorified techdemo to show of how fast the sega system can draw.

Today the purpose is only to force players to buy a specific console because they wouldn't be able to play the game otherwise. At least the Sony and Microsoft consoles are to similar in regards of their hardware capabilities for different reasons.
That is pretty much a hostage or blackmail situation.
Hogwash. First party exclusives have always had one purpose and that has not changed. Third party exclusives (Japan) you'll find many still today without the need of any money, contracts, or "threats". Calling first party "hostages" is absurd enough, but third party ones that have nothing stopping them porting it if they wish to? Hilarious.

This reminds me of that Pcmasterace garbage piece Strazdas linked months back which pretended how things are currently is some grand departure from the past (which it wasn't in that case as it was true for decades) to generate more hate.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Its pretty well known I frown on the piracy/emulation articles going "try it out in these links, its cool... but we're totally not in support of this because we need to cover our arses" articles.
Except escapist never links to anything illegal so there is no reason to frown.

learly as you have forgotten all about my points on that. Ah yes that old chestnut that a company should cater to you someone who isn't a customer. Anyway I've gone through the fact that a lot of games wouldn't have been made/given a chance/supported without the big bad triumvirate of the nWo.

Well than we in agreement on something.
I havent forgotten, just how i did back then i still do now - i think you are wrong. Your "Fact" is merely your opinion that is simply not true. these companies would still want to make money and thus make games to sell, for profit. in fact they are likely be more willing to do so more often due to larger install base without being limited to single platform.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds alright but i still sit back and wait before i make a hasty decision. im still happy with with win 7 and have no reason to upgrade. my new GPU doesnt have dx 12 so again no reason to get win 10 any time soon.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Looks like I'll be switching from Win7 to Win10 after all. At least it's not as bad as Win8, and the upgrade will be free.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
Except escapist never links to anything illegal so there is no reason to frown.
Linking in the region lock article while hiding behind "well its legal in certain countries". Egging on people to go purchase and app that clearly was not within the rules... each has those little defenses to look upstanding... but when you see it enough times especially in the relatively small time frame... yeah I don't buy that as credible.

Strazdas said:
I havent forgotten, just how i did back then i still do now - i think you are wrong. Your "Fact" is merely your opinion that is simply not true. these companies would still want to make money and thus make games to sell, for profit. in fact they are likely be more willing to do so more often due to larger install base without being limited to single platform.
Here we go again. Some companies were created by them and would the talent still exist in the world? Yes but the likelihood of them getting together, having the same funding, and making the same game is so low it might as well be zero. However we can't forget they do provide jobs too so would all those people be in work anyway? Well I suppose they could all make some cheap indie tat but forgive me if I'd rather have the exclusives over that.
Additionally some games are made due to the competition and wanting to have something comparable (Halo - Killzone, Final Fantasy - Wild Arms, and many more), if that competition isn't there than would those games be made?
There have been many "unconventional" games given support for years, would they have received it without them? Would EA/or whoever you like allow a studio making a game that is clearly not going to be profitable to the levels to require many years of slow development... get the time needed?
Other games like Gravity Rush get made to push the hardware features on the device... and it all goes on.

I can safely say things would be different as its common sense. You however need some evidence if you're going to prove things would remain the "same" or "better". So as I don't think you have alternate reality vision, nor could you show me that vision even if you had... this goes nowhere.