DirectX 12 Will be Exclusive to Windows 10

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
See, there's only one problem with this; based on MS' past behaviour, all I can think when I see this is "OK, but what's the catch?". Either they have a way of making money out of people who get the free upgrade right away(ads/grotesquely overpriced microstransactions within Win10 itself), or it's part of a longer term strategy that's not clear to us plebs yet - perhaps they're attempting to pry people loose from Win7 so they don't have a repeat of the WinXP situation, in preparation for fucking us up the bum when Win11 rolls around in a couple of years.

Microsoft are a corporation, they don't give their stuff away for nothing unless it will increase their revenue in some other way. More than that they're one of the King Cunts of the corporate world, so this isn't going to be a case of doing us a wee favour now and asking for a wee favour in return later, it'll be a wee favour now in exchange for us signing a contract in our own blood to give them our souls.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, if theyre hiding anything, at least the free upgrade window will be long enough for us to hear about it beforehand.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Ark of the Covetor said:
See, there's only one problem with this; based on MS' past behaviour, all I can think when I see this is "OK, but what's the catch?". Either they have a way of making money out of people who get the free upgrade right away(ads/grotesquely overpriced microstransactions within Win10 itself), or it's part of a longer term strategy that's not clear to us plebs yet - perhaps they're attempting to pry people loose from Win7 so they don't have a repeat of the WinXP situation, in preparation for fucking us up the bum when Win11 rolls around in a couple of years.

Microsoft are a corporation, they don't give their stuff away for nothing unless it will increase their revenue in some other way. More than that they're one of the King Cunts of the corporate world, so this isn't going to be a case of doing us a wee favour now and asking for a wee favour in return later, it'll be a wee favour now in exchange for us signing a contract in our own blood to give them our souls.
Tbh, individual OS license sales probably aren't such a big dip in Microsofts pocket. Giving away Windows for "free" ensures that their existing and potential customers stay in the Microsoft ecosystem. Since so many people are used to using Windows at home, it becomes natural for any big or small enterprise to license Windows and Office with minimal training effort. On top of this Microsoft provides lots of enterprise software such as Windows Server, SQL, Dynamics CRM, Exchange, Lync, OneDrive, Visual Studio etc. All of this runs natively on Windows, and the more people who are accustomed to it, the better for both businesses and Microsoft.

As for the regular consumer, the tight integration within Microsofts OS, mobile platform and XB1, might entice more consumers to consider Windows Phone or XB1 as an alternative to other brands.

And finally, Microsoft can start cutting down on supporting older versions of Microsoft and instead shift focus to maintaining one OS.

In short: Give something away for free, and you'll gain customer loyalty that ensures they stay your customer.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, this isn't as much of a dick move as the last time they held a Direct X version or game hostage behind a new Windows. The gratis upgrade also will help sweeten over anyone who put up with being force fed the atrocity that was the UI formerly known as Metro.

Though, I still don't get why people think the 1 year free upgrade only lets you use Win 10 for one year. Has that subscription software trend that Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud started made everyone more paranoid than me? (I don't blame them for being paranoid, with today's shady tech trends, but I do blame them for not reading a very important and plainly spelled out detail right in the middle of the article.)
008Zulu said:
I may swap to Windows 10, about half way through month 11. By then, they will have the major kinks worked out, and backtracked on the design choices that have been labeled as "catastrophically stupid".
That is the best way to go about it. Let the early adopters do the final, extreme beta testing for you. I should mark my calendar, just so I don't forget.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Free upgrade sounds good, almost to good to be true. There must be something in it for Microsoft, either the rumour about adverts are correct or they will focus on some kind of built in store front. Maybe it will heavily integrated with Bing unless you deactivate it, my own personal theory is that it has something to do with Microsofts push towards "one OS for everything" and in the conference they made a big deal out of the "universal apps" that work across devices. They are still desperately trying to break into the mobile and tablet market so by giving Windows 10 away they may be hoping that people will adopt other devices with Windows OS, in the way that will integrate and synchronise and use services like office 360 etc so by giving it away people may think "that HP stream syncs well with Windows 10" with things like the universal apps.

Microsoft are obviously trying to get as many people to adopt Windows 10 as they can and as quickly as they can, even to the extent that they are throwing away the potential revenue they would have made from selling the operating system. There must be some reason they are doing it and knowing Microsoft its because they will have a lot more to gain if people adopt the OS quickly.

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
soo.... see you in 10 years when developers will finally phase out dx9?
What will we have then? Windows 35 with Direct X 29?

You know what microsoft:

Make a good, sleek OS with no bullshit that runs smooth and is easy on the specs....

I'll buy it.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Creedsareevil said:
soo.... see you in 10 years when developers will finally phase out dx9?
What will we have then? Windows 35 with Direct X 29?

You know what microsoft:

Make a good, sleek OS with no bullshit that runs smooth and is easy on the specs....

I'll buy it.
Actually the good thing about this one OS for all devices shtick is that it motivates them to reduce resource usage (for the smaller devices). Windows 8 for all its faults removed aero to decrease graphics usage on tablets and by some accounts reduced the RAM usage.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Scars Unseen said:
Well that's surprisingly balanced for Microsoft. I mean it's not as good as simply supporting DirectX 12 on multiple OS versions, but people have been predicting that bit of exclusivity since they realized that the number twelve comes after eleven. I'll probably do the upgrade. It's not like I don't still have my Win7 disc if I change my mind.
Don't be so sure. If this is an upgrade policy, I would expect Microsoft to invalidate your Win7 key because it's been spent to upgrade it to a Win10 key. It's how all upgrades have worked in the past, and why I always get the full version, so that I do have the option to return to the old OS, or install the old OS on another PC.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Charcharo said:
Equating piracy to emulation and vice versa is foolish. Why do you do foolish things, ohh never EVER wrong black and white views person?
:(

All companies want to expand. You do not get my money if your game is on a console. You might if its on PC. Simple as.
PC is BY FAR the largest single platform. It makes more sense it to be the primary

I can understand some first party and even third party exclusives. Even if it DOES damn their legacy and makes them mortal. Bayonneta 2 for example. When it is a game with the budget of my country ... I see no reason for it to be exclusive. Well, other then bound to attempt at making more money :(
This has been cleared up over and over.... In Bayonetta's case, Platinum lost their publisher, and therefore, their funding. The game simply wouldn't have been made, had Nintendo not stepped in, which is why the game is Wii U exclusive.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Ark of the Covetor said:

Good catch : )

What we have seen so far with our beta, it will have a storefront built into Windows 10 allowing Microsoft to get a percentage of the sales. So it is a win for them to get as many people on the platform and in funnels the sales.

Next is the built in search with Cortana that really is a data mining tool for each user on the workstation and that is another product placement vectored ads, selling data kind of thing. So far no ads on the desktop other than the trending now when search is clicked but it is still too early in the beta as ads could easily be slipped in before release.

Now the key phrases are "We see Windows 10 as a service" and licensed to "that device" what does that mean to Microsoft? Renting an OS? Support Service? Hmm they have not truly clarified yet.

If it is like before and key based so that someone could reinstall onto a new workstation then great but so far it is indicating that it acts like a one use OEM license. New workstation build will require a new license.

If it is a subscription, renting an OS, then the built in Live user login could be used to license rekey a new workstation. Like Windows 8 you can skip the firm prompting to login with a Live ID and just use a local workstation generated account.

Steam is right to be working on Steam OS. Based on the presentation, Windows 10 has a lot of Steam like features including game streaming, cross play with Xbox One, integrated library etc. Add the Store front to sell apps and games and hmm other than steam exclusive sales what is to keep people from simply using the built in store?

When Microsoft says Windows 10 is a big move they are not kidding, they are shifting their company and integrating their whole product line around it.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Is anyone really surprised by this? Pretty much every modern version of Windows has an exclusive version of DirectX. XP had Dx9, Vista had Dx10, and 7 had Dx11. Really the only modern version of Windows that didn't have an exclusive version of DirectX is Windows 8. Microsoft has been doing this for a very long time with many of their products. Another example would be Internet Explorer.

Valkrex said:
I just hope this means the rest of the Halo series is finally making its way to PC.
Doubt it. Microsoft needs something to sell Xbones.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Riotguards said:
i'd be eager to update my computer to windows 10 and get rid of the annoying windows 8 forever but i suspect that if i do everything i did to even get games working on my pc would be rendered useless

here's hoping they focus on gaming comparability
Nah. 7 is 8 is 10. It's the same OS with different interfaces and minor tweaks. That said the tweaks make a difference, games run better on 8.1 compared to 7.

If 10 has less of a learning curve from XP than 8 did, and has proper support for older software will we finally see enterprise jump ship from XP?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The White Hunter said:
RatGouf said:
Xbox One on the other hand I probably want to buy Sunset Overdrive before it becomes free from GWG. Just so I can own that game without having to worry about losing it if or when my GWG would expire on Xbox One. If Sunset Overdrive ever came to Steam I'd probably buy it again.
GWG freebies are yours even if your account sub expires, downloaded a bunch in my free trial and still have em.
If I remember correctly that's only true for Xbox 360.

Xbox One on the other hand you must be subscribed in order to play Xbox One's GWG.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If- as seems fairly likely- the games of the next few years are constrained by the abilities of the PS4 and XBox One as the previous generation was by the 360 and PS3, why should anyone care?

Sure, Crytek or the like might release a game that pushes the boundaries so far that only a new DirectX can keep up, but it seems like many developers are barely using the features trumpeted in DX 11.

Still, memo to self- pick up that OEM of Windows 7 for the next rig while you still can...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
What about the rumours of the integrated ads? Are they true? Is the UI any better?(since trying to get to C:/ using 8 is needlessly convoluted with Metro)

I know it sounds petty, but that is the one point where I draw the line and tell MS to go fuck themselves.
I haven't seen any ads in the OS sofar. For a beta it's been quite stable, only 1 driver issue with a universal dock I borrowed to test and to be fair I'm sure the driver was for Windows 7 anyway.
The start menu is back so you can pin "My Computer" tonight and basically set it up like 7, however the tiles still do the auto order crap which pisses me off so I just put my games there and have my computer pinned to the list on the left. I can provide a screenshot this arvo if you'd like.

Vault101 said:
is that the transparency thing in the design?

fuck microsoft for telling me what I can/cant have on my desktop!!
Yes Aero is the transparency in Windows Vista/7. I've actually switched my main OS to Xubuntu and have Win 10 for the few games that Wine can't do (or steam/GoG hasn't already got on Linux) and I've never been happier. See Microsoft, that's how you get my patronage, by letting me choose what to do with MY machine. I didn't get a 780ti when they were $800 AUD to display boring flat windows that look older than Windows 2000