Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hi all,
It's your friendly neighbourhood guy who get too caught up in internet drama. Here is a primer

So Contrapoints got attacked last year by what are called WokeScolds. They're usually the one cancelling everyone (usually they just criticise and everyone else thinks they are cancelling.) They're pitted against Dirtbags, also known as DebateBros are someone like Vaush. Think of Lefty Shapiro or Crowder. Loud, bullying, very willing to insult someone, makes some ridiculous comments. A lot of Bernie Bros would fall into here. Everyone dislikes how they treat each other and the Right. They are both minor groups on the Left, and I find them both obnoxious and cant tell why cancelling isn't bullying and vice versa. Shouting down someone sound like your dismissing someone (ie cancelling.)

But I've become aware that a lot of people have moved from the Right to the Left because of these groups. For example, if you used to be a part of the Group Who Shall Not Be Named on this site but still thought yourself as a Feminist/Egalitarian, you're going to gravitate to someone you just insults people for fun but has a progressive message. They didn't gel well with the Alt-Right due to their generally assumption that equal rights means something is taken away from them and wanted something different. But they still wanted to ACT like those on the Alt-Right. Hence, Dirtbags are a thing.

I think these guys are not helping with political discourse. But I'm wholly aware that someone like Trump insults people and that is an automatic win for lots of people, no debate needed. See the current Press Secretary, who probably thinks she is doing a good job but seems to hand evidence of poor standards and behaviour over to journalists and prove the Left correct... But, since she's Owning the Libs, what she says doesn't matter, it that she Gotcha them. So, maybe playing Trump game is the only way to win. Because being nice certain doesn't effect anything.

So, are these guys helping? Are their tactics legit and/or effective? How do you see these groups going in 5 to 10 years?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, the term "Wokescold" gets used to dismiss anyone calling out any social problem, doesn't it?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what I just watched... people are actually using the word "wokescold"? I have been shocked by the internet before, but this might be the most shocking. I fully expected the list of people using the term to end at Ben Shapiro, and here I found out the niche left community actually took up the mantle? Did Ben Shapiro actually own the libs? I don't... I don't even... you've broken me.

Reactions: Kwak

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I believe in homicideDOT, so i think there's a place for so-called "dirtbag" left on the left-wing, most of the times. It might not be my cup of tea, personality wise, but i can see a certain political advantages to those tactics.

As long as everyone remembers that a) like everything in politics, it all eventually comes down to numbers. b) Twitter isn't real life.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I got lost not too far in with those terms.

I prefer the term "regressive left" to deal with the types of people the 'tuber is describing. Maybe there's further sub-divisions in "the left," but I think we have a gut instinct that can distinguish between people who genuinely want to make things more equal in society, and those who want to scream "muh oppression!"

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I got lost not too far in with those terms.

I prefer the term "regressive left" to deal with the types of people the 'tuber is describing. Maybe there's further sub-divisions in "the left," but I think we have a gut instinct that can distinguish between people who genuinely want to make things more equal in society, and those who want to scream "muh oppression!"
I fear people are spending too much time thinking up catchy terms to define small groups of people than explaining what the fuck is going on. That's if what the fuck is going on actually matters a damn, because in these internet days I keep getting the feeling it's a Twitterstorm over a mouthy 0.1% of population arguing with another mouthy 0.1% of the population, and that 0.2% of the population acting like everyone should pay attention to them.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Thread locked. Current Events threads need to be based around news from a reputed source.

Reactions: MrCalavera
Status
Not open for further replies.