Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo Finally Available

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
BlackWidower said:
Wow, I really want to play this game now. Though I wonder. What does that image have to do with it? I assume it's gameplay footage, but I don't see any disabled person in it.

One of the girls have no legs, eh? Hmmm...I guess it'd make it easier to [sentence redacted by the Council on Universal Decency...seriously, what the fuck guy, why would you write that!?]!!!! Hot!

Of course it probably isn't one of those games is it? If that's the case, I wonder why the website bothers to give us the character's measurements.

I think the burnt girl's kinda hot. I know many will think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious.

I know many are commenting on the socio-political implications of having a dating sim featuring disabled people, but I don't think there are any.

I think the really amazing thing is, this game is free! That is the real story. Way to bury the lead, Earnest!
The image is a show of the classroom that the main character is in. Certainly not the entire student body, though. Only 3 of the 5 main girls are in his class.

It does have some sex in it, and a couple of nude shots, but sex makes up a very small part of the gameplay. It's about the adventure, love, loss, yada yada.

DR123

Jan 9, 2012
Kevin Cleijne said:
For everyone who's about to try this:

Don't EVER finish Rin's storyline the correct way and go back to do the neutral ending
2nd most painful event I've experienced in my life.
Its like you've got to know her for real with the successful ending and when doing the neutral one you strangle her with your own believing of what she wants. (pick the 'arent you happy?' option rather than the 'what if you found someone like that?")

I just completely broke down... This damn novel hurts so damn much ;(
How can reach out to emotions SO damn well? its insane. /miss Rin
I know what you mean... I finished it with the "good" ending...and it was amazing. I thought about going back and checking the other endings out, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Shit, I don't even think I could handle knowing what the other endings were!

On a side note...for any of you who are kind of like me, and live in your own head so to speak... definitely check out the Rin route (and HOPE you get the good ending). Shit I honestly can't stop thinking about it, and I finished it a few days ago.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Barrage256 said:
As you can tell by my post count I don't visit Escapist often, but after playing this game I eventually got led to this thread. As a frequent /v/ goer I've become interested in this VN after what seemed to be an explosion of popularity on the board. After playing it I come to /v/ to see other's reactions. Eventually I stumble upon this image, I think it speaks for itself on how touching the game really is.

http://i.imgur.com/fyIS8.jpg
This is...wow. I don't even know what to say to that.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
When I think about these kinds of things, I tend to see it like that robot thing from Dr. Who, the one that can disguise itself as any person and is piloted by tiny people, except I'm the only person in there. I have to sit inside my character as they loudly portray their thoughts to me and all I can do is just sit there and watch everything happen in the manner of a soap opera. Also there's a thing I have with generic anime characters which is they don't look human, there's just something so uncanny about them.

As for the controversy, I'm not too upset by it. Mostly because absolutely none of them in the screenshot look handicapped in anyway and they're all just as attractive/adorable as they would be in any anime.

andy25100

Sep 5, 2010
Paya Chin said:
damn. this game just went full-retard!
I'm going for you having not read the past fourteen pages that says how this game is a tasteful, well written story that is much more than the escapist gives them credit for, and before you start trying to argue with half baked opinions just download it and give it a try.

Ephyon

May 30, 2011
You know. I never thought that a visual novel would be so..heart-wrenching.

I played Hanako's route, and got the good ending. The absolute last scene with her was beautifully done.

Perhaps its 'cause the emotional dilemma they faced is similar to what I'm afraid of going through.

But I thought to myself: "IWON'TCRYIWON'TCRY"

DAMMIT I CRIED.

It's a great story.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I haven' played it, but I hear the game is "life-changing" and people bet that you'll cry at the end, depending on which girl you picked. So think and maybe experience, before you judge.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
I really want to stop thinking about this.. Its just keeps popping up in my head and I just can't lay it to rest. I've got to finish the other storylines just to lay it to rest

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Did Shizune's route first, it was okay in my opinion. A nice story, but nothing special and the ending lacked closure. But then I played Rin's route and realized just how lackluster Shizune's was.

That was quite the (to echo the other posters) emotional roller coaster. Moreso in this route than in the Shizune one did the sex scenes feel like a key, emotional part of the story displaying the pain and confusion these characters were experiencing in the midst of change. If any of you are playing with the adult content turned off, I strongly urge you to reconsider. The scenes themselves aren't overly explicit and the emotional impact they carry far outweighs whatever cons there could be.

I'm probably going to have to take a break from KS before doing another route. Let Rin's sink in a little more.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Pickapok said:
Did Shizune's route first, it was okay in my opinion. A nice story, but nothing special and the ending lacked closure. But then I played Rin's route and realized just how lackluster Shizune's was.

That was quite the (to echo the other posters) emotional roller coaster. Moreso in this route than in the Shizune one did the sex scenes feel like a key, emotional part of the story displaying the pain and confusion these characters were experiencing in the midst of change. If any of you are playing with the adult content turned off, I strongly urge you to reconsider. The scenes themselves aren't overly explicit and the emotional impact they carry far outweighs whatever cons there could be.

I'm probably going to have to take a break from KS before doing another route. Let Rin's sink in a little more.
I reccommend you take that break. I took her route first, and took Emi's the very next day. I kinda feel emotionally drained right now, and a bit unfulfilled because I rushed so much. I hope ot re-do Rin's a bit later, when I've had some time to forget the details. Take a breather, definitely don't rush.

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
Aaaah, that game is awfull.

I downloaded it, just to take a look at how it was done. Went with Lilly, the blind girl. By now I've wasted 3-4 hours on the game. And whenever I sit in a subway or tram and stare out of the windows, thoughts about this game pop up. About Lilly and her story....

no, seriously, its a great work of storytelling. Haven't played a game or read a story in years that simply didn't leave me alone, no matter what I do....

Jukedex

Jan 11, 2012
I have never had such a emotional experience before.

I always enjoy good emotional stories in games (Bastion was last game like that), and I decided to try this out since this visual novel is all about stories. And it's free.

I played Emi's route first and enjoyed it a lot.

After that I decided to go for Lilly's route. Damned that was emotional rollercoaster. I finishded that story sunday afternoon and I think I got good ending. I still feel effects of that story.

I want to play other stories too, but I decided to postpone those to later date.

I can definetly recommend this game for most people. Only those, who don't care about stories in any form should steer clear of this game (and even some of those might like this).

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
As an update, I just finished Hanako's good ending.

Almost cried, I did. Next I hope to get Emi's path, then Shizune, Rin then finally Lilly. Why that order, I don't know.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
Kevin Cleijne said:
I really want to stop thinking about this.. Its just keeps popping up in my head and I just can't lay it to rest. I've got to finish the other storylines just to lay it to rest
Im getting that feeling right now, I'm doing Emi's path right now but i have to keep stopping to go do life stuff and i really just want to get back to it.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
There is actually a quote in this game that pretty much outs the developers stance on the whole issue and pretty much defines the game in its entirety.

From the Rin route, when Hisao asks the art teacher if he is using Rin's disability to generate hype and popularity:

"Ah, now now. It's not like that at all. Think about it from another perspective, like an artist. Would you rather have [Rin] hide herself completely from public view, as if her condition were something shameful? Some people will call it exploitation if we promote that aspect, or discrimination if we hide it. All things considered, we're just being honest about it. There's nothing wrong with that, right, my boy?"

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
i just recently finished hanako's and lilly's story.....OH GOD.....GOT THE GOOD ENDINGS....FOR BOTH......

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Paya Chin said:
damn. this game just went full-retard!
You really are the worst kind of person.
hey, i had the same reaction when i first heard about this game through this forum. and ironically, still trying to figure out how i got to the position i'm in now, i just finished Lilly's story with the good ending after having already completed hanako's story, with the good ending, yesterday. this game has truly touched me.

and Lilly, WOOOOOO...yeaaah

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/unexpected-sincerity-disabilities-girls-and-katawa-shoujo/

In depth Kotaku Australia article, also mentions DeskitmusPrime's user review.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Pickapok said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/01/unexpected-sincerity-disabilities-girls-and-katawa-shoujo/

In depth Kotaku Australia article, also mentions DeskitmusPrime's user review.
Nice! Deskitmus will be really happy about this!