Disabled Goldfish Shows Off Her Aquatic Wheelchair

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Disabled Goldfish Shows Off Her Aquatic Wheelchair

Prepare to meet the world's greatest pet owner.

For many fish owners, finding a goldfish laying at the bottom of the tank usually means it's time to go shopping for a new aquatic buddy. But when one ambitious pet lover found that their female goldfish had apparently lost the use of her tail fin, a little bit of creativity managed to get the tiny fish swimming once more.

As you can see from the video, the fish appears to get along just fine with its buoyant harness in place. But because she isn't quite as speedy as the rest of her fellow tank dwellers, the disabled goldfish gets fed by hand, rather than at the top of the tank.

"My disabled goldfish scooting around in her newly redesigned sling," the owner explains in a comment on the video. "She has trouble maintaining buoyancy on her own. She looks a little silly, but it is better than lying at the bottom of the tank all day!"

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a dedicated pet owner. Bravo.

Via Geekologie [http://www.geekologie.com/2013/02/daaaaw-disabled-goldfish-gets-underwater.php]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
For some reason I have the line, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..." stuck in my head now after watching the video.

That's pretty awesome though.

Swim fish, SWIM! :D

Azulmoon

Apr 14, 2009
That's some hardcore pet ownership. Most people would have just tossed the little critter in the toilet by now and moved on with their lives. I always enjoy seeing things like this make news, it's a nice change from all of the other depressing stuff that's happening these days.

You know, this story reminds me of when I was a kid and our hamster had babies. One of the babies had a deformed mouth and as such couldn't chew on things keep its teeth worn down, so my mom would trim them by hand with fingernail trimmers. It was just as weird as it sounds, although it was still less weird than a fish in a "wheelchair," I'll admit.

A3Bf72rVWE5hA

Nov 10, 2009
I like how one of the related videos you can choose after the adorable one of the fish in a harness is of a praying mantis eating another, less fortunate goldfish for our entertainment.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the fail simply atrophied because the ENORMOUS FRIGGING EYES required too much blood flow to sustain the tail.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Wow, that's really adorable and creative on the owner's part. I wonder how he managed to get the thing on the fish in the first place. Even if the fish was easily caught, I'm sure trying to tie the contraption around it must've been difficult.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I almost shed a tear reading this article. This is heart warming!

Good boost to the "faith in humanity" meter.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is it just me or did those other goldfish kind of bullying her (bumping into the top part of the sling thing)? Granted it's nowhere near aggressive to real fish fight in a tank (my bro friend had to put one of his fishes into a smaller tank cos it was being agressive to others).

It make me wonder how the heck the owner was able to put that sling on her in the first place as I highly doubt the fish kept still long enough to fit it into place.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
This happened two years ago...you're just now reporting it? Must be a slow day.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
So is that Pimp my fish? but in all seriousness yeah that is really cool!
well done whom ever you are.

MissP

Feb 6, 2013
Daw, that's so cute! And that might be the first time I've ever applied that adjective to a fish.

Xjin

Jul 7, 2009
fedirko7 said:
I like how one of the related videos you can choose after the adorable one of the fish in a harness is of a praying mantis eating another, less fortunate goldfish for our entertainment.
Set to an uppity beat no less.

OT- Pretty sweet! Had a school buddy do something similar to a Koi (about 30 year old Koi) who got in a brawl with a raccoon.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
You know, I was reading this, and I thought the fish must be in agony all the time, but watching the video it really looks like she is just enjoying floating around. It's totally awesome.