Disappointed/hate the recent star wars game? Try out some of these SW games instead.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Star Wars The Old Republic

This is an actually good mmorpg. With 8 classes to choose from, which you'll be making light or dark side decision within each of the stories, you'll have blast playing through multiple times. The game has seen improvements since its launch, and it has become nicer for f2p or preferred status, which is one time $5 payment.
Well sure if you want an example of how EA doesn't know how to do a F2P game.
TOR is so freaking dated, just not in terms of monetization, but in terms of actual gameplay. The impeccable Shamus Young [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16580] pointed out the problems with TORs gameplay 5 years ago and by modern standards it is just sub-par in just about every category. Even the lauded voiced quest givers and "great side quests" haven't stood up to the test of time.

If you absolutely must play a game where you are better off looking at the bottom fourth of your screen instead of the graphics of the game, WoW is the better game. If you want engaging gameplay, there are plenty of MMOs out there that are better.
The sad thing is I'm actually invested in my character's journey, and I like that there are story areas where I go in and I'm by myself and the enemies don't respawn and it advances my story. However getting to those areas is often quite tedious when there are packs of enemies all over the place that constantly respawn.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
The sad thing is I'm actually invested in my character's journey, and I like that there are story areas where I go in and I'm by myself and the enemies don't respawn and it advances my story. However getting to those areas is often quite tedious when there are packs of enemies all over the place that constantly respawn.
I tried getting back into it recently and I found the story for the Imperial Agent pretty compelling. Ultimately it was not compelling enough that I could stand the dreary gameplay for the 25 hour duration, but I can absolutely agree that the writing on most of the class stories is top notch.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
No Super Star Wars? No Rogue Squadron? No Episode I Racer? No Shadows of the Empire?

FAIL!
Dalisclock said:
How is TIE Fighter, X-Wing or even X-Wing: Alliance not on this list?

Are you a rebel spy?
Maybe they just never played those games?

I've played tons of games, but never played most of those. Did play Rogue Squadron (liked it) and Episode 1 Racer (hated it), but never the rest.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Star Wars The Old Republic

This is an actually good mmorpg. With 8 classes to choose from, which you'll be making light or dark side decision within each of the stories, you'll have blast playing through multiple times. The game has seen improvements since its launch, and it has become nicer for f2p or preferred status, which is one time $5 payment.
Well sure if you want an example of how EA doesn't know how to do a F2P game.
TOR is so freaking dated, just not in terms of monetization, but in terms of actual gameplay. The impeccable Shamus Young [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16580] pointed out the problems with TORs gameplay 5 years ago and by modern standards it is just sub-par in just about every category. Even the lauded voiced quest givers and "great side quests" haven't stood up to the test of time.

If you absolutely must play a game where you are better off looking at the bottom fourth of your screen instead of the graphics of the game, WoW is the better game. If you want engaging gameplay, there are plenty of MMOs out there that are better.
My brother got me to play SWTOR, but after I was already hundreds of hours into Elder Scrolls Online.

Was a great way to remind me what is great about ESO.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Ah, Force Unleashed. A game that felt like it wasn't finished before release followed by a sequel that made you wish they'd stuck to not finishing the thing.

I also don't get the Shadows of the Empire thing, beyond nostalgia goggles.

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Academy, besides being one of the more nonsensical naming conventions of a franchise around, was kind of weird that the general story seemed to go inverse to the actual gameplay quality. The design choice of spamming Sith guys at you that invalidated all your non-lightsaber weapons and most of your force powers was a bit irksome too.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Ironman126 said:
Natemans said:
Love KOTOR, not a fan of KOTOR II.
Ok. I'll bite. What about KotOR did you like that the sequel didn't provide?
I suspect the fact KOTOR 2 has an incredibly messy and abrupt endgame(due to the criminally short and rushed development period because apparently it just had to be out for Crimmis that year) has a lot to do with it.

That reminds me. I need to replay it with the restored content patch and see if it significantly improves the game.
I honestly think I subconsciously blanked the ending from my memory because I'm having trouble recalling anything except that goddamn maze bullshit and the creatures that mob you constantly.

As for the patch, it definitely does improve the experience, with a caveat. Sometimes the patch restores content that still dead-ends. I would say it's worth it, though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I tried getting back into it recently and I found the story for the Imperial Agent pretty compelling. Ultimately it was not compelling enough that I could stand the dreary gameplay for the 25 hour duration, but I can absolutely agree that the writing on most of the class stories is top notch.
I am playing as a Sith Inquisitor and I love the interactions between my character and some of my followers esp. this young Jedi Padawan I got to follow me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Can I ask, what was wrong with EA Star Wars: Battlefront 2 that has nothing to do with the Loot Boxes or Singleplayer?

What was wrong with the Meat of the Game, the Online Multiplayer? Because so far it just looks like another Online Multiplayer shooter that will last half a year until the next game rolls out.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Can I ask, what was wrong with EA Star Wars: Battlefront 2 that has nothing to do with the Loot Boxes or Singleplayer?

What was wrong with the Meat of the Game, the Online Multiplayer? Because so far it just looks like another Online Multiplayer shooter that will last half a year until the next game rolls out.
There you go, you just answered your own question. When the original Battlefronts had gameplay both for solo players and multiplayer robust enough that people are still playing them to this day, to deliver anything less in a new game after ten years of ensuing technological improvement is just pathetic.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
Republic Commando? That game was the shit back then, one of the few games I've played that actually had intelligent friendly AI.
Wouldn't so much call it intelligent as reasonably competent at following your orders. They tended not to fair as well without, but properly managed, you could generally rely on them go snipe/lay suppression fire/whatever and carry their weight. By squad AI standards, that alone is outstanding.

Shame Imperial Commando (the sequel) got canned.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:

There you go, you just answered your own question. When the original Battlefronts had gameplay both for solo players and multiplayer robust enough that people are still playing them to this day, to deliver anything less in a new game after ten years of ensuing technological improvement is just pathetic.
Eeeeh the Older Games weren't anything too special, I own the second one on GOG and played it and after 3 days of playing it, grew bored. Also the ship battles suck because they control like ass on Keyboard and Mouse and ships blow up too fast.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ironman126 said:
Dalisclock said:
Ironman126 said:
Natemans said:
Love KOTOR, not a fan of KOTOR II.
Ok. I'll bite. What about KotOR did you like that the sequel didn't provide?
I suspect the fact KOTOR 2 has an incredibly messy and abrupt endgame(due to the criminally short and rushed development period because apparently it just had to be out for Crimmis that year) has a lot to do with it.

That reminds me. I need to replay it with the restored content patch and see if it significantly improves the game.
I honestly think I subconsciously blanked the ending from my memory because I'm having trouble recalling anything except that goddamn maze bullshit and the creatures that mob you constantly.
I don't remember much of it either but I do remember at the time the whole ending sequence felt very...disjointed and wierd. The way things just tended to happen while other things would just drop out of the game entirely made it feel surreal, like the video game equivalent of having sporadic, random blackouts

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Canadamus Prime said:
Gethsemani said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I am playing as a Sith Inquisitor and I love the interactions between my character and some of my followers esp. this young Jedi Padawan I got to follow me.
Problem with TOR and why it fails aren't stories. These were decent, although nowhere near as good, as in actual KotOR (due to tor being a mmo).
It's an EA game (husk of Bioware vomitted it out in agony), which was launched as monthly sub game (already having in place all the hallmarks of mtx driven game ie. necessity to buy... inventory slots) then re-released as abomination of a ftp game with absolutely insidiously gameplay breaking constraints trying to blackmail player into subbing. On top of that it is dull gameplay wise (deliberate WoW contender that had no idea why people play WoW), horrid estetically (barbie and ken dolls galore; ofcourse arguable, as any taste) and it was created at the cost of killing KotOR franchise, shutting down SOE's SWG mmorpg and giving EA exclusivity on SW games... all 3 things being complete cancerous moves to SW related entertainment.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Tie Fighter is not only my favorite Star Wars game, but one of my favorite games period. The masterful presentation, the rock-solid controls, the awesome dynamic iMUSE soundtrack of the original versions...it all combines to make a wholly immersive and captivating experience. It's also the only Star Wars game that has you playing as an Imperial maintaining law and order in the galaxy (from a certain point of view) from start to finish, no lame cop-out defections here.

Plus it introduced the Tie Avenger, one of my all-time favorite Star Wars ships. Most people prefer the Tie Defender (which also saw its debut in the game) and it's admittedly the better ship to fly, but I've always preferred the Avenger's "lean n' mean" aesthetics to the Defender's overly detailed, obnoxiously 90's design. It also had the Assault Gunboat, a beautiful ship in its own right with performance capabilities roughly comparable to the Rebel X-Wing.

Other Star Wars games I've played in the past can be broken down into the following categories:

The Cream of the Crop
- X-Wing
- X-Wing Alliance
- The Jedi Knight series
- KOTOR 1 and 2
- Empire at War (especially with mods)
- Pandemic's Battlefront II (provided it's the multiplayer)
-Rogue Squadron
-Battle for Naboo (criminally underrated if you ask me)

Pretty Fun
- The LEGO Star Wars games
-Republic Commando
- Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars Galaxies (before SOE sabotaged it)
-Starfighter
- Pandemic's Battlefront 1
- Star Wars Trilogy arcade cabinet
-X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
- Shadows of the Empire (the Snowspeeder level alone was worth the price of admission back in the day)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (yeah I know, that dumb little F2P mobile game by EA. In my defense I refuse to spend a cent on it)

"Meh"/Good for a Rental
- The Super Star Wars series
- The Force Unleashed (or as I like to call it, DBZ: Star Wars Edition)
- Jedi Starfighter
- The Clone Wars
- Bounty Hunter
- Episode I: Racer
- Galactic Battlegrounds
- Force Commander
-Rebel Assault II

Bad
- Rebel Assault
- Rebellion/Supremacy (loved the premise, but the execution was awful)
- Jedi Power Battles
- Droid Works (liked it as a kid, but pretty much impossible to run on modern computers)
- Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (the on-foot segments were atrocious)
- EA's Battlefront II (played it during the free open beta, was thoroughly tired of it within a few hours)
- Star Wars (NES)
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Uprising

Rosh Penin
Yoda Stories
Star Wars: Commander

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Gethsemani said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Problem with TOR and why it fails aren't stories. These were decent, although nowhere near as good, as in actual KotOR (due to tor being a mmo).
It's an EA game (husk of Bioware vomitted it out in agony), which was launched as monthly sub game (already having in place all the hallmarks of mtx driven game ie. necessity to buy... inventory slots) then re-released as abomination of a ftp game with absolutely insidiously gameplay breaking constraints trying to blackmail player into subbing. On top of that it is dull gameplay wise (deliberate WoW contender that had no idea why people play WoW), horrid estetically (barbie and ken dolls galore; ofcourse arguable, as any taste) and it was created at the cost of killing KotOR franchise, shutting down SOE's SWG mmorpg and giving EA exclusivity on SW games... all 3 things being complete cancerous moves to SW related entertainment.
Giving EA control of anything is a poison. These days all EA knows how to do is corrupt and destroy in the name of greed.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Squilookle said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Eeeeh the Older Games weren't anything too special, I own the second one on GOG and played it and after 3 days of playing it, grew bored. Also the ship battles suck because they control like ass on Keyboard and Mouse and ships blow up too fast.
They weren't anything too special at the time... back when most games had that level of effort put in as standard. They were notable however for being, right off the bat, Battlefield 1942 clones with extra features that even Battlefield never really ever grasped. Honestly they could have got away with having the maps, vehicles, weapons and the factions in there without any singleplayer whatsoever (Battlefield sure as hell didn't bother with one at the time) and just let people run amok in multiplayer and called it a day right there and they still might have earned the award for 'best selling Star Wars game of all time' (which both games did do, I believe), but instead they actually looked at the new genre of open conquest multiplayer battles and had a go at improving it. Maps like Dune Sea had three factions at once- with the Empire and the Rebels duking it out while Tuskan raiders blasted away at anyone who got too close. You could change your kit at control posts, unlock better classes for a job well done in your current single life. If you held your crosshair on a parked vehicle an ally had just jumped into, they'd wait until you looked away to take off just incase you wanted to run up and take it for yourself. Nobody else who's made a vehicular combat FPS has even thought of that to this day!

[sub]Check out the units on that radar. We haven't even got to the sequel yet[/sub]​

Then there's the Galactic Conquest: a galaxy-wide game of chess where you and an opponent take turns moving fleets from planet to planet, engaging enemy forces on the surface or (in the sequel) in space along a hyperspace corridor. I think Ravenfield is the only game to even try that slice of brilliance, and that's a freaking indie game.

[sub]What are you waiting for? The whole galaxy is there for the taking.[/sub]​

Plus there's Instant action against the bots (which Battlefield had to a lesser extent) plus more innovative options like Hunt, where you can live out all your Ewok/Gungan genocide wishes, and XL which cranks the bot count up to ludicrous levels and dares you to stay alive. All these things different. Innovative. Appreciated by us gamers, who knew there was a lot of content to keep us entertained. Not all of it was perfect- the space combat was somewhat simplified of the Rogue Squadron kind but even then it worked. They even allowed you to board the enemy ship and sabotage it's main components from inside. I'm sorry but that's just bloody awesome. There's never been another game to allow that, as far as I'm aware. (Ships stay alive just fine if you're the pilot class and you know how to dodge and conserve energy. I wouldn't expect you to grasp it in just 3 days but you'll get there. keyboard controls fine: that's my preferred input).

[sub]You can fuck up the Rebels as a Wampa. Your argument is invalid.[/sub]​

Then there's 2's campaign. All they had to do was remake the first game with instant action on the maps we didn't get the first time around and that would have done the job, right? Possibly, but Pandemic thought different. They already had instant action, galactic conquest, capture the flag (both 1 and 2 flag variations), and even a new hero assault mode where you can take pretty much all the key heroes and villains and smash up the opposition, but they just went ahead and built an entire campaign that spanned all 6 existing movies. What a nice bunch.

[sub]Nothing wasted or superficial here- everything you see is impacting the battle[/sub]​

All of that content, that released packaged with the game on day one. It all just worked. In splitscreen as well if one so desired. and way back in 2005. Then EA brings out their attempt at it that just throws everything away and tries to win us over on graphics alone. Yeah. No. The fact is that as time marches on we grow further and further away from companies actually trying to deliver a fully fleshed out product that's built to last. The older games arrived just before those practices started to take effect and sapped content from otherwise good games. THAT is the true magic of the older Battlefronts. THAT is why people still play them. They may not be as polished looking as EA's powerhouse can afford, but as far as gameplay goes, they're overall still unmatched to this day.

Oh and did I mention the Mods? Holy cow I could talk for days about all the Mods. Not so for EA's games though, because there aren't any whatsoever.