• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Really? Because it kind of looked like shit in the trailers.
The trailers don't do shit, and DreamWorks advertised this movie horribly. Ruby is not Spider-Verse nor Puss n' Boots: The Last Wish, but that does not make it bad nor sub-par.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
One funny thing I learned about the stunt where they had to roll the new Aston Martin, was that the damn thing was so low to the ground that combined with the amount of down-force by how fast it was going (or something), the fucker would refuse to flip. They had to us a hydraulic spring mechanism to make it flip.

Although an irony of Craig playing Bond as even more cold blooded than Dalton is that by Craig's last film, well, he's the most human incarnation of the character. Admittedly a bar set low, but an interesting outcome nonetheless

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The trailers don't do shit, and DreamWorks advertised this movie horribly. Ruby is not Spider-Verse nor Puss n' Boots: The Last Wish, but that does not make it bad nor sub-par.
You're the one who called it "God-like." If it's god-like it should be as good as Spider-Verse or Puss n'Boots at the very least. If it's not then it's definitely far from god-like. It might not be bad (although the trailers really didn't do it justice in that case), but if you yourself admitted that the animation quality isn't at that level then throwing around the term "god-like" is silly.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Amarcord

Simply the best movie about nostalgia ever made. Fellini looks back at his childhood (kinda) with glee and sadness and nothing but affection for every character and detail. Part slice of life, part coming of age, the movie is very loosely structured as a series of vignettes in which a small Italian seaside town converts, quite innocently, to fascism in the early 1930s. If I had to sell this movie to a disinterested youth I'd compare it in tone and pace to a live-action Ghibli movie. One of the chill ones, where the most action comes from daydreams and heightened childhood fantasies.

Although it also happens to feature tons of teen horniness and one BBW memorably smothering a kid with her bare whoppers. Not that I'm complaining.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You're the one who called it "God-like." If it's god-like it should be as good as Spider-Verse or Puss n'Boots at the very least. If it's not then it's definitely far from god-like. It might not be bad (although the trailers really didn't do it justice in that case), but if you yourself admitted that the animation quality isn't at that level then throwing around the term "god-like" is silly.
I don't care, but my bad for my own exaggeration and excitement. Still a good movie with great animation.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't care, but my bad for my own exaggeration and excitement. Still a good movie with great animation.
Ok, here's the final battle from the movie.

Honestly, still kind of looks real mediocre. I've seen better animation quality in some TV shows with a significantly lower budget than what this probably had.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, here's the final battle from the movie.

Honestly, still kind of looks real mediocre. I've seen better animation quality in some TV shows with a significantly lower budget than what this probably had.
Your opinion. They didn't skip on the visuals and clear effort was put into this. I wouldn't call the animation "mediocre". I am not doing a back and forth on this. See it or don't; your choice. The movie didn't do well in theaters, but found immediate success with audiences on digital streaming and home video, so that's a plus in my book, and shows the movie was overlooked during the summer of this year.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Killer.

Slightly underrated right now IMHO; barely cracking the top ten Fincher flicks on IMDb (tied with Panic Room). But it’s easy enough to see why. Guessing a good chunk of viewers were put off by its singular plot nature and dry presentation, neither caring let alone listening intently to what the titular character is saying. There are a number of small details to found here though, and there’s a good interspersing of the methodical and humanistic qualities he ultimately possesses. That’s really what it boils down to is a well done revenge flick. Also possibly the best Hitman movie we’ve gotten since The Professional.

One thing Agent 47 has on him (or Léon). The average person apparently loses 50-100 hairs per day, so odds are he left a few traces over the years.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched Talk To Me.

I can't say this movie's bad at all, it's actually quite good, but I can't say I enjoyed watching it much either. It's not particularly scary and it's not fun at all, and unlike a Robert Eggers or Ari Aster movie it doesn't have that filmmaking flex, which ultimately just leaves the misery of its subject matter. And with how deeply nihilistic it ends - like seriously, this movie has the most fucked view of life after death - it's hard to get any catharsis or satisfaction from watching it.

Reactions: thebobmaster

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I watched Talk To Me.

I can't say this movie's bad at all, it's actually quite good, but I can't say I enjoyed watching it much either. It's not particularly scary and it's not fun at all, and unlike a Robert Eggers or Ari Aster movie it doesn't have that filmmaking flex, which ultimately just leaves the misery of its subject matter. And with how deeply nihilistic it ends - like seriously, this movie has the most fucked view of life after death - it's hard to get any catharsis or satisfaction from watching it.
I found it pretty scary, personally, but I do agree that it is...not a pleasant movie. That's one of the only things that holds me back on rewatching it. I quite liked it, but I'm not sure I feel the need to watch something that...relentlessly grim again.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I found it pretty scary, personally, but I do agree that it is...not a pleasant movie. That's one of the only things that holds me back on rewatching it. I quite liked it, but I'm not sure I feel the need to watch something that...relentlessly grim again.
I did initially think 'well, atleast that kid and his family get to life the rest of their lives', but then realizing they'll eventually end up the same as Mia; scared and completely alone in total darkness. So yay.

Might not be the best film for people prone to depression.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Marvels - 8/10

These movies are to me what Fast and the Furious is to other people. Its my sit back and have a good giggle and walk away with a smile sort of thing. Some of them are certainly better than others on many levels - Captain America: The Winter Soldier still looms pretty fucking big after all this time - but these movies are character interplay pieces primarily and on that level I've never been disappointed by one.

With that said, Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan really steals the fuckin' show because that young lady has just got so much earnest charm you get caught up in it with her; with her family not far behind. Goose is still amazing and Samuel L. Jackson can still sell Nick Fury like a champ.

Also I am all fucking in on Kamala's Young Avengers thing. Which so far as I can see is gonna be her, Kate Bishop, America Chavez, Cassie Lang, Spider-Man (either Peter or Miles), maybe Love from Thor.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Marvels - 8/10

These movies are to me what Fast and the Furious is to other people. Its my sit back and have a good giggle and walk away with a smile sort of thing. Some of them are certainly better than others on many levels - Captain America: The Winter Soldier still looms pretty fucking big after all this time - but these movies are character interplay pieces primarily and on that level I've never been disappointed by one.

With that said, Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan really steals the fuckin' show because that young lady has just got so much earnest charm you get caught up in it with her; with her family not far behind. Goose is still amazing and Samuel L. Jackson can still sell Nick Fury like a champ.

Also I am all fucking in on Kamala's Young Avengers thing. Which so far as I can see is gonna be her, Kate Bishop, America Chavez, Cassie Lang, Spider-Man (either Peter or Miles), maybe Love from Thor.
Aside from the first Captain Marvel and the Ms. Marvel TV show, do I have to see anything else to know what's going on? I might see this out of curiosity.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Tale: Couldn't Finish It / Great

A professor and documentarian is confronted with a childhood diary of hers that her mother discovered in which she detailed fond memories of a summer spent with her horseback riding instructor and her running coach. Upon further scrutiny of her recollection of that time, she comes to realize she was purposefully groomed and sexually assaulted.

REALLY disturbing movie; I couldn't finish it. The premise already made me uncomfortable, but when they actually showed a graphic depiction of a child being raped, I turned it off. Not for the faint of heart. Like, I don't know what parent would allow their child to act that role. I get that there were probably body doubles, and the kissing most likely wasn't the actual 13-year-old girl, but still, what parent allows their child to read and understand a script with such intense themes and imagery?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Aside from the first Captain Marvel and the Ms. Marvel TV show, do I have to see anything else to know what's going on? I might see this out of curiosity.
Officially it's also a sequel to WandaVision and Secret Invasion.

Off the record, fuck no. Didn't watch any of the shows. The movie knows this so everybody gets a rather inelegant recap at the beginning. After that it's just another dumb superheroes in space movie.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Napoleon

Not a great movie, but I walked out at the end feeling I got my money's worth in battle scenes. Good performances by Phoenix, Kirby and Rupert Everett as a scene stealing Wellington.

I don't mind, for the sake of dramatic unity, that Napoleon is in the crowd as Marie Antoinette is executed, or that he met Wellington after Waterloo. I'm a little more miffed about changes that feel like a betrayal of Napoleon's character, like him ordering his men to shoot the pyramids or slapping Josephine in the middle of a public divorce. Stuff that not only he didn't do, but I don't think he would've either.

I'm willing to believe Napoleon was a weirdo. But because Joaquin Phoenix plays everyone as a weirdo, always, I have to wonder. By all accounts Napoleon was a brilliant military genius and political strategist. The movie resumes his battle acumen as simply knowing when and where to deploy his cannons, while his political career appears to have been a matter of being offered everything he ever got.

Would've liked to get a better sense of the rise and fall of Napoleon. Often the movie ends up explaining the importance of what you've just watched (Toulon, Egypt, Austerlitz, Russia), and the consequences of everything, before you get to appreciate it for yourself. While movies are decidedly way too fucking long these days, this one felt like it could've used a longer running time at 2 hours 30 minutes. Apparently Ridley's releasing a 4 hour version on Apple TV+, which I imagine is going to be the better movie.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Napoleon

Not a great movie, but I walked out at the end feeling I got my money's worth in battle scenes. Good performances by Phoenix, Kirby and Rupert Everett as a scene stealing Wellington.

I don't mind, for the sake of dramatic unity, that Napoleon is in the crowd as Marie Antoinette is executed, or that he met Wellington after Waterloo. I'm a little more miffed about changes that feel like a betrayal of Napoleon's character, like him ordering his men to shoot the pyramids or slapping Josephine in the middle of a public divorce. Stuff that not only he didn't do, but I don't think he would've either.

I'm willing to believe Napoleon was a weirdo. But because Joaquin Phoenix plays everyone as a weirdo, always, I have to wonder. By all accounts Napoleon was a brilliant military genius and political strategist. The movie resumes his battle acumen as simply knowing when and where to deploy his cannons, while his political career appears to have been a matter of being offered everything he ever got.

Would've liked to get a better sense of the rise and fall of Napoleon. Often the movie ends up explaining the importance of what you've just watched (Toulon, Egypt, Austerlitz, Russia), and the consequences of everything, before you get to appreciate it for yourself. While movies are decidedly way too fucking long these days, this one felt like it could've used a longer running time at 2 hours 30 minutes. Apparently Ridley's releasing a 4 hour version on Apple TV+, which I imagine is going to be the better movie.
I just got back from the theater and me and my buddies agree this should have been a 12 hour mini series. Especially if there is more to his political rise. As you note, it seems he was simply there to say, "me rule? OK." when asked to step up. Right place at the right time.

I thought it was WW1 soldiers that made target practice of the Sphynx's nose.

Odd, this is a 2.5 hour movie (4+ when it comes to Apple) and it felt much longer. Really a slog.

I thought I knew surprisingly little about Napoleon and thought this movie would fill in the gaps. Instead I feel like I did know what I need to know about him and there is less to him than meets the eye. Is that really true?

Please Don't Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain on Peacock +

This is very dumb stupid silly movie and I had fun watching it. Dumb. Really dumb. Which is what it was aiming for.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shazam Fury of the Gods - I admit that I didn't see this in the theaters, because I wasn't in the mood due to WB's shit at the time. I knew the movie wasn't bad, but it got dumped on so unfairly. I know it didn't do well at the box office either. All that considered, the movie is actually good. About as good as the first movie, but with some better characterization for Billy and Freddy.

What I like about the DC-Verse movies are that they are not afraid to have an edge , even with their lighter and softer works like Shazam, yet not going overboard (BvS and Zack's JL are the exceptions). The action is another hitter. It's not the most original, but it is filmed well, creative enough, and the CG ain't bad either. In fact, it is great. Why were critics complaining and saying the film is a "jumbled CG mess"? I get critics were already getting tired of superheroes in general, but be honest people! Not liking the movie is fine, but don't lie or make shit up about the action and CGI. The only flaw with this movie, is that it never follows up on the teaser ending from the first movie, so be prepared to be disappointed in that regard. Atlas's daughters are fine as villains, but the villain from the first movie is so much better. I really wish DC nor James Gunn decided to hit the reboot button so soon. At least finish what you started or adds some closure with a final movie per character. The movie ends well enough for some closure, but it is pretty clear they were going to make more of these. So ignore the two teasers after the credits, if you want that full closure.

As far sequel movies go: Fury of the Gods is better than Wonder Woman '84 and has better pacing than Black Adam. Not that BA's was awful, but it drag in a few areas. Great movie; B+ in my opinion.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Happy Death Day - 7/10

Pretty fun and solid horror movie about where a college student dies at the end of the day and then wakes up at the start of the day (aka Groundhog Day basically). A bit surprising that she is basically a b!tch at the start and actually realizes she's a b!itch during the movie and has actual character growth. There's a nice little twist towards the end when you think everything got all figured out and settled. Definitely looking forward to seeing the sequel now.