Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Book of Henry, 9/10 (on the so bad it's good scale)

Jesus Christ almighty, what in the sweet hell did I just watch?

I had another one of my bad movie nights, and the picks were this and The Island of Dr Moreau from 1996. I'd seen only the latter one before, so The Book of Henry was a total enigma for me. I knew it was supposed to be preposterous, but I didn't think it could well surpass the movie where Marlon Brando stars with a literal bucket on his head in one scene. So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be one of the best-worst movies I've seen possibly ever. It's a unique sort of car crash where a competent production and well-regarded actors meet a script so utterly bonkers that I genuinely struggle to find the words to convey the full extent of the experience.

Jaeden Martell (mostly known for the 2017 It and Knives Out) plays Henry, an 11-year old child genius who I think is supposed to come across as endearingly precocious, but instead (as Yahtzee put it in his Forspoken review) gives off more of a "richly deserves a paving slab to the teeth vibe". He's one of the most supreme self-insert Mary Sues I've ever seen: financial genius, basically a doctor, wondrously profound for his age, supremely considerate and perceptive of his surroundings and peers. The plot initially concerns him suspecting his neighbor being abused by her stepfather and investigating it, and to spoil anything after that would kind of ruin the experience, because the movie just ramps off to Mars in terms of its sheer lunacy.

I would try to compare this to other movies, but it's genuinely unlike anything I've ever seen: insufferably quirky, cutesy and twee in the way only the worst indie movies dream of, diabetes-inducingly melodramatic and schmaltzy with a heaping scoop of Oscar bait pretensions, and also just bugfuck nuts in a way I've perhaps only seen matched in Neil Breen movies. Nearly every line from Henry's mouth made me groan aloud. There are some skin-crawlingly creepy scenes that I think are supposed to come across as charming. The movie operates on a completely alien understanding of both logic and human beings. It is legitimately a movie where it feels like anything can happen, because it's just so fucking crazy. Based on the opening credits you could never even dream of the places this movie goes. And what's weird is that Naomi Watts and Dean Norris seem oddly on board with the whole thing. They don't feel out of place, and they commit to the madness of the script with flying colours.

As far as entertainment value goes, this is about as good as it gets without wandering into Tommy Wiseau / Neil Breen territory. I'm so fucking glad that this got a theatrical release, because if this were to be released today, it would just get lost in the endless sea of streaming service filler. The fact that I have it on physical media makes me so happy. See it, preferably with friends and alcohol. It'll be a night you'll never forget.

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fair enough, I suppose.

Compared to Spider-Verse and TMNT's visual style, Wish' style comes off as a bit bland, but I'd have to ask, what were people really expecting?
As soon as I saw the trailers, not much. Disney should've either commited to a real change in art style or not even bothered, because the way it is now it sits in this awkward space where it sorta looks unfinished and cheap. And this is Disney - they totally have the talent and money to shake some amazing animated visuals out of their sleaves. And post-Spider-Verse has shown more radical art styles won't scare off the mainstream. And STILL they refuse to really go for it, instead giving us this dry fart of an art style. That's what most people are pissed at I reckon.

Reactions: BrawlMan

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Got to (re)watch the superb Oldboy in a theater with someone who not only had never seen the movie but didn't know anything about it. Delightful stuff.
When I first saw it the only thing I knew about it was the corridor fight scene, and assumed it was first and foremost a martial arts movie. I... did not expect it to go the places it did.

Oldboy and the two "Vengeance" movies are fantastic. Love me some Park Chan Wook.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Book of Henry, 9/10 (on the so bad it's good scale)

Jesus Christ almighty, what in the sweet hell did I just watch?

I had another one of my bad movie nights, and the picks were this and The Island of Dr Moreau from 1996. I'd seen only the latter one before, so The Book of Henry was a total enigma for me. I knew it was supposed to be preposterous, but I didn't think it could well surpass the movie where Marlon Brando stars with a literal bucket on his head in one scene. So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be one of the best-worst movies I've seen possibly ever. It's a unique sort of car crash where a competent production and well-regarded actors meet a script so utterly bonkers that I genuinely struggle to find the words to convey the full extent of the experience.

Jaeden Martell (mostly known for the 2017 It and Knives Out) plays Henry, an 11-year old child genius who I think is supposed to come across as endearingly precocious, but instead (as Yahtzee put it in his Forspoken review) gives off more of a "richly deserves a paving slab to the teeth vibe". He's one of the most supreme self-insert Mary Sues I've ever seen: financial genius, basically a doctor, wondrously profound for his age, supremely considerate and perceptive of his surroundings and peers. The plot initially concerns him suspecting his neighbor being abused by her stepfather and investigating it, and to spoil anything after that would kind of ruin the experience, because the movie just ramps off to Mars in terms of its sheer lunacy.

I would try to compare this to other movies, but it's genuinely unlike anything I've ever seen: insufferably quirky, cutesy and twee in the way only the worst indie movies dream of, diabetes-inducingly melodramatic and schmaltzy with a heaping scoop of Oscar bait pretensions, and also just bugfuck nuts in a way I've perhaps only seen matched in Neil Breen movies. Nearly every line from Henry's mouth made me groan aloud. There are some skin-crawlingly creepy scenes that I think are supposed to come across as charming. The movie operates on a completely alien understanding of both logic and human beings. It is legitimately a movie where it feels like anything can happen, because it's just so fucking crazy. Based on the opening credits you could never even dream of the places this movie goes. And what's weird is that Naomi Watts and Dean Norris seem oddly on board with the whole thing. They don't feel out of place, and they commit to the madness of the script with flying colours.

As far as entertainment value goes, this is about as good as it gets without wandering into Tommy Wiseau / Neil Breen territory. I'm so fucking glad that this got a theatrical release, because if this were to be released today, it would just get lost in the endless sea of streaming service filler. The fact that I have it on physical media makes me so happy. See it, preferably with friends and alcohol. It'll be a night you'll never forget.
Seriously, WTF!?!??!

Next they'll make a Thor movie that is a comedy about cancer. Oh wait, what?

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Seriously, WFT!?!??!

Next they'll make a Thor movie that is a comedy about cancer. Oh wait, what?

I remember trying to watch Book of Henry once and the only thing I can remember is that his mom is dumb, not like shes overwhelmed and struggling or has autism or something reasonable shes like irreconcilably dumb where I made the slj face every time she was on screen like

giphy (3).gif

Like reality work like that social services would take him away immediately.

As seen the trailer the movie takes place in this alternate reality where Henry is this genius and everyone just goes along with like crash test dumbies. Im pretty foggy on how it plays out but the twist is incredibly dumb too.

In a way the movie is pretty insulting towards real genius kids and the kinds of diversity they experience. Its very much a The Room kinda film MST3K should been able to take a crack at.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I spent the last week watching the two big prestige dramas of the season: Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon

I had to break them up into mini-series 'cause they're do dang long. And I don't think I have that much to add to all that's been said about them other than that if they look good to you and you like Nolan and Scorsese you will like them. These movies feel like the last gasps of 20th century male auteur prestige drams where the acting, cinematography and directing are exquisite and the women characters are background dressing or tragic victims.

Both are also interesting interpretations of the books in their way that showcase the directors. I have not read the books I have read about them so grain of salt and all that but...
Nolan tells his version of the story in a very time-twisty way where scenes from different time periods alternate sometimes. The film was described as having three parts: before the Manhattan Project, during and aftermath. And this is kind of true but that is more by theme than events. It makes for a more erratic experience than I thought. And despite the film's efforts to make us all feel bad about the bomb and the deaths, Nolan and his team can't help but make it all look cool and awesome.

Scorsese meanwhile changes the focus of the book from being largely about the investigation by the nascent FBI into the serial killings of Osage people to being about the moral descent of one man involved in it. I should have seen this coming as this theme is at the core of all of Scorsese's best films.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Napoleon, 7/10

This is Ridley Scott's latest, and the title of the movie is also its plot synopsis. It's a fairly by-the-books biopic: humble beginnings, meteoric rise through clever and ruthless politicking, personal troubles, downfall yada yada. At 160 minutes it's a time investment, but it moves along at a fair pace and the battle sequences are genuinely breathtaking. Needless to say the look and production values are immaculate, Scott has that down to a science at this point. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is a bit hard to nail down, because he mostly plays it pretty flat and monotone, but gives Napoleon a more pathetic, petulant side in more personal moments. I wouldn't call it a great performance by Phoenix's standards or anything, but it's certainly a distinct angle to take on such a monumental and mythologized figure. The real star here is Vanessa Kirby, who manages to thread the needle between being hopelessly vulnerable and devilishly conniving to keep Napoleon in her charms. It's in their troubled marriage and relationship where the movie places its focus, which certainly helps because the movie covers such an extensive length of time and so many events. The movie's also surprisingly funny, deriving a lot of humour from Napoleon's egotism and awkwardness that never feels out of kilter with the film.

Outside of Napoleon and Josephine's relationship and the battle sequences the movie isn't really much to write home about. Despite the runtime, it leaves out a lot of famous parts of his story, really compresses the timeline of certain things, and some moments feel outright rushed like his coronation. In being such a typical biopic it faces the typical biopic problems: there's just too much to tell or to give everything its due weight in the story. I also felt that despite the movie looking stunning, its color palette was IMO unnecessarily drab and muted. The movie deliberately portrays Napoleon in an unflattering and at times comical light, but the colors of the movie signify a far more poe-faced tone. I do wonder how turning up the color contrast on this would affect the experience.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Napoleon, 7/10

This is Ridley Scott's latest, and the title of the movie is also its plot synopsis. It's a fairly by-the-books biopic: humble beginnings, meteoric rise through clever and ruthless politicking, personal troubles, downfall yada yada. At 160 minutes it's a time investment, but it moves along at a fair pace and the battle sequences are genuinely breathtaking. Needless to say the look and production values are immaculate, Scott has that down to a science at this point. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is a bit hard to nail down, because he mostly plays it pretty flat and monotone, but gives Napoleon a more pathetic, petulant side in more personal moments. I wouldn't call it a great performance by Phoenix's standards or anything, but it's certainly a distinct angle to take on such a monumental and mythologized figure. The real star here is Vanessa Kirby, who manages to thread the needle between being hopelessly vulnerable and devilishly conniving to keep Napoleon in her charms. It's in their troubled marriage and relationship where the movie places its focus, which certainly helps because the movie covers such an extensive length of time and so many events. The movie's also surprisingly funny, deriving a lot of humour from Napoleon's egotism and awkwardness that never feels out of kilter with the film.

Outside of Napoleon and Josephine's relationship and the battle sequences the movie isn't really much to write home about. Despite the runtime, it leaves out a lot of famous parts of his story, really compresses the timeline of certain things, and some moments feel outright rushed like his coronation. In being such a typical biopic it faces the typical biopic problems: there's just too much to tell or to give everything its due weight in the story. I also felt that despite the movie looking stunning, its color palette was IMO unnecessarily drab and muted. The movie deliberately portrays Napoleon in an unflattering and at times comical light, but the colors of the movie signify a far more poe-faced tone. I do wonder how turning up the color contrast on this would affect the experience.
I was on the fence with this one and your review kind of kept me there lol. Meaning... I'll probably watch it cause I'm a sucker for this stuff.

But I'm glad to see you appreciate Vanessa Kerby, she has become one of my favorite actors, the kind that instantly makes everything around her 10x better.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
For the music nerds:

The Velvet Underground

Apple TV+'s documentary about the ultimate and true original "alternative" band is heavily stylized and feels like watching an avant-garde film- appropriate given the band's close association with Andy Warhol.
The film was made in 2021 by which time only two members were still alive- John Cale and Moreen Tucker. Tucker proves to be absolutely charming and Cale, one of the most fascinating musicians from the 60s to me (certainly the most important Welsh violist in rock history) comes off very sympathetic. Still it's rough to have a movie about the VU without hearing directly from the biggest star Lou Reed.

Original footage is ok, nothing really revelatory is you're already familiar with the band. This is one of those documentaries that honestly benefits newbies- like if you only heard the name but wanna know what the big deal was this is a good place to start.

I certainly recommend to the youngsters if for no other reason than to see that the late 60's counter culture wasn't all California hippy psychedelic blues-rock flower shit, it was also avant-garde and dark and gay and self-destructive and vicious and cool.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Leave the World Behind

First eyebrow raising thing I noticed was it’s executive produced by both Michelle and Barack Obama. The next thing is…well let’s just say it really had me thinking by the end a simple, “Are they fucking with us?” Because really there’s only two ways about it. Either it’s a tongue-in-cheek omen or they’re just having a good laugh.

Maybe both.

Maybe if they didn’t go into so much detail about how shitty our world has become via human greed and consumption. Or how many enemies we’ve created, and are creating currently. Or detail a step by step plan on how a foreign government(s) might decide to pull the plug on us via satellite to topple us from within, without even leaving their comfort zone. Guess anyone without a stockaded oh shit bunker will be screwed if/when that day arrives.

Overall a pretty good flick though; slightly above average for this type of gig. The tone was sorta Peele-esque, while flirting with Shyamalan here and there but thankfully stopping short of a full-on tango. Julia Robert’s gets down, which I’m sure B & M got a kick out of. Me…not so much. Also if I ever had access to a bunker with a shit ton of movies and TV shows, Friends would be staying on the shelf in favor of rewatching Curb or something else that’s actually funny.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I was on the fence with this one and your review kind of kept me there lol. Meaning... I'll probably watch it cause I'm a sucker for this stuff.

But I'm glad to see you appreciate Vanessa Kerby, she has become one of my favorite actors, the kind that instantly makes everything around her 10x better.
If you've liked Scott's previous historical epics, I don't really see why you wouldn't like Napoleon also.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watched Across the Spider-verse again. I take what I said about the soundtrack back, I fucking love it. Still hard to think about how far away the sequel is.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Leave the World Behind. It's fine, but I'm completely unsatisfied with the explanations I've been able to find regarding the strange animal behaviour. Feels like a lazy way to add spooky flavour without worrying about it making sense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watched Across the Spider-verse again. I take what I said about the soundtrack back, I fucking love it. Still hard to think about how far away the sequel is.
The Japanese got one of the best exclusive songs in their region. How come we didn't get that in the movie or in the credits?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Thats... assuming theres no fallout from their problems with the last animation studio debacle. We could be all living between Gilead and the remnant colonies of the former US before the finale finally comes out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Duel (1971)

Yup, still the best road rage movie ever made. And a very obvious precursor to Jaws. Big looming threat haunting its meek hero in the (deceitfully claustrophobic) outdoors, warnings and pleas for help being dismissed by everyone he meets. Jaws is the better movie overall but Duel is definitely up there.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Duel (1971)

Yup, still the best road rage movie ever made. And a very obvious precursor to Jaws. Big looming threat haunting its meek hero in the (deceitfully claustrophobic) outdoors, warnings and pleas for help being dismissed by everyone he meets. Jaws is the better movie overall but Duel is definitely up there.
I love the fact that you never see the truck driver in Duel, so it feels like it's the truck itself that is after the hero.

Also, fun fact: the roar you hear when the truck goes over the cliff at the end of the movie is the same roar you hear when Jaws' body sinks to the ocean floor in the original Jaws.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I finally got around to watching 12 Angry Men (1957) for the first time, and you know what? It's really good.

The scene opens with the jury for a murder trial being prepared to deliberate their verdict, with the instructions that a verdict of guilty comes with a mandatory sentence of death because of state law (of the time the film was set), that if they believe that the evidence proved guilt, then they must vote guilty but if they had a reasonable doubt then they must vote not guilty. And moreover, that whatever the verdict is it must be unanimous.

Once the principle cast gets settled in the jury room, they take a preliminary vote and the results are 11 Guilty votes and one Not Guilty. Juror #8 (played by Henry Fonda) admits that he's not convinced of the defendant's innocence, but is just not comfortable sending him to his death without at least talking the case out first. And thus the central conflict is set up, as the 12 jurors go through the case and reexamine the evidence.

It's a very well done legal drama, and surprisingly compelling for a movie that is almost entirely shot in one room and consists of little more than a bunch of guys arguing amongst themselves. Definitely give this one a watch.