Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Th3Ch33s3Cak3

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
My fellow Escapees,

In the interests of starting this forum on a good start, I thought it would be suitable to continue a thread from our old homeland.

As the title suggests, feel free to discuss and rate various films you have seen.

I'll start:

Black Dynamite (2009) - very funny and entertaining. Not much substance, but what do you expect from a spoof film? 8/10.

Also, first!

Reactions: BrickTown

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I finally watched Joker last weekend after putting it off because everything was spoiled for me thanks to our coverage of it and people on Twitter.

It was OK. Joaquin was amazing though. I'll never understand how people got so worked up over the movie, but oh well. I'm curious to see if The Batman ties into it at all.

EscapeGoat

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I've been working through Doctor Who on Netflix - I used to be an avid Whovian but fell out of things when Matt Smith came in and never got back into it. Since I have nothing but time on my hands I decided to rectify that and give it a proper shake. The 9th and 10th Doctors are all as fantastic as I remember, and I have to say I'm enjoying more of Smith's Doctor than I remember, which is fine by me, I'd rather like it. That said, the most recent episode I finished was Let's Kill Hitler and I think that might well be the absolute nadir of the show so far.

EDIT: I'm a dope. This is a film thread, rather than a TV thread. Oh well.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Platform

A dystopian satire of class in a concrete "prison" with a Platform moving down and back up through the hole in the middle. Aesthetically it's the Cube and the class satire is kinda like Snowpiercer except there's a larger emphasis on the movement between classes instead of a more permanent divide. Metaphors from the Bible are also included as are allusions to it. There are a couple of things that really work in the film's favor: it's well-acted and the characters don't have useless backstory to pad the 90-minute runtime, there is enough depth without that B-movie crap. It's also paced very well and the perspective of the main character is consistent. But as with these high concept films, getting to a traditional ending is tough, and things get a bit contrived and ambiguous (director has said that it's a purposefully ambiguous film in the end).

Obviously a 7/10 movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finally watched Joker last weekend after putting it off because everything was spoiled for me thanks to our coverage of it and people on Twitter.

It was OK. Joaquin was amazing though. I'll never understand how people got so worked up over the movie, but oh well. I'm curious to see if The Batman ties into it at all.
Because certain people like looking for a fictional scapegoat, rather than face reality or the ultimate truth.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Because certain people like looking for a fictional scapegoat, rather than face reality or the ultimate truth.
Yea, I get that. I'm sure it's because of "current times" too, but this was a weird movie to have that reaction to when we have literal slasher films like Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I can't imagine it will. Joker portrays Joker as a mentally challenged, barely functional, panicking, uneducated, out of shape, Forrest Gump type loser, who can't even tell a joke! Can you imagine this Joker outsmarting Batman? Fighting him? Creating laughing gas, and high-jacking Gotham? Shooting Barbara Gordon? Not to mention he'll be in his 60s by the time Batman is in year one.
This Joker I think is either A. not the Batman villain one or B. from a Gotham Bruce doesn't become Batman.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The Incredibles. I used to really like the movie, but a couple years ago someone pointed out to me that the Director and the film espouses some Randian philosophy. That made it a little harder to watch this time, because it is noticeable in the films message.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Watched 1917 last night. Hell of a movie. I'm gonna have to buy the UHD version and watch it again in our little theater at my apartment complex because I missed it on the big screen. I'd put it right up there with Saving Private Ryan.

Reactions: gorfias

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse the other night. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Very good comic book feel to it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I watched Noah for Palm Sunday, and it was surprisingly good. It's hardly Aronofsky's best considering the many Hollywood conventions therein, but those actually make the movie even weirder in a way that is distinct from the his other works. Still, it's as visually captivating as I expected from the director, and he did a real good job conveying Noah's existential quandary in the context of the great flood. Definitely recommend it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Bloodshot

Vin Diesel gets to flex some muscle once again. Sure it's derivative, but I kinda liked it for the things it tried to do well and mostly succeeded. For example there are a couple of good action scenes! One is much like the cyborg fighting in Alita or Elysium and is at least much better than the former in that regard. And it does a couple of slightly clever things to give a bit of a surprise to a movie formula everyone knows. Then there is the character of KT played by Mexican bombshell Eiza González who waltzes around like a model you hire to gym ads (y'know, no visible muscle except ass), and when she gets her lil' action scene we don't see her face even for a fraction of a second! The stuntwoman completely takes her over as she does the Black Widow routine. Rather cringey in my opinion, and so is the movie's comic relief. 6/10

Edit: I watched a couple of reviews of the film and apparently the trailer of the movie spoils it completely. I did not see the trailer, so the experience was better through that.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bloodshot
Also seen it. Agree some of the action scenes were pretty fun, but the movie's overall kind of "meh". Tho I did had a good laugh at the running chase that supposedly takes place in London, but is obviously not shot there, complete with a truck driver extra not even trying to sound remotely like anyone from the UK.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Ant Man and the Wasp. Good cast but no real plot. It just felt that 2 hours of characters in a farcical chase after the miniaturised lab.

Reactions: gorfias

morsomk

The Shape of Water was the worst movie of 2017.
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Hell
Country
Cold
The last thing that I saw was a documentary about Miles Davis called "Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool" and it was really enjoyable. Never knew that Miles Davis was such a crazy cat.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and liked it a lot, more than the original show. Having watched most of Lynch's movies beforehand and preferring his more experimental material, I was expecting a revelation by watching Twin Peaks, but the sheer drop in quality in Season 2 was quite a disappointment (though the first and last episodes are brilliant and even better than anything in Season 1). FWWM pretty much reaffirms why I love Lynch as a director, and it's a splendid way to cap off the most interesting aspect of the setting. Felt strange hearing Bobby say "fuck". I'm eager to check out the deleted scenes and the third season.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Also seen it. Agree some of the action scenes were pretty fun, but the movie's overall kind of "meh". Tho I did had a good laugh at the running chase that supposedly takes place in London, but is obviously not shot there, complete with a truck driver extra not even trying to sound remotely like anyone from the UK.
I wonder why they didn't just dub a British person's voice over him. Some of the dialogue in the movie is so obviously recorded in post-production it wouldn't have made a difference.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm pretty bad at getting around to movies since I tend to watch about two or three a year.

The last one I saw was with my roommates about a couple of weeks ago, and it was the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. I enjoyed it a lot and there was some solid acting. Outside of Orlando Bloom who I felt was not a strong lead and I wasn't buying all of his big speeches since he just came across as boring in some parts.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I think the median super hero movie fan was attracted to this movie because of it being Joker in a Gotham "elseworlds" kind of story but then saw something they do not normally see: an adult film about real people and situations (our society is not coping well with the mentally ill, often leaving them on the streets). For me individually, I love super hero movies but find them getting kinda samey (enough of heroes either fighting other heroes or villains that are versions of themselves ala Iron and Kill Monger: Thankfully Taskmaster may be very different than Black Widow). But I'm old and have been watching all kinds of movies my whole life. I saw "King of Comedy" on VHS when it was first released on that format. So the movie was only OK for me as well.

As for the last full movie I saw? Pretty good. Showed me a world I did not know exists: people that in theory can take a sip of wine and tell you the health condition of the farming hand that picked the grapes (exaggerating but really! The stuff they tell you!!!) And a plot thread I have seen in real life: parents having to close successful restaurants when their kids do not want to continue the business. Sad but a part of life.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Return of the Living Dead (1985)

I make a point to watch it at least once a year and it just gets better. While the first three Romero zombie movies will always be my holy trilogy, RotLD will always have a place in my library. I honestly can think of no major problems I have with it, any quibbles I have are minor at most (a visible wire for a second, ect...). The effects were and remain incredible, the zombies are easily one of the most terrifying of their kind, the dialogue is laugh out loud funny at times without taking away from the horror, and oh that soundtrack, MMMWAH. 👩‍🍳. Chef kisses all around.

I am not as kind, however, to the sequels...but that's another rant.