Discussions of gender portrayals in games,movies, etc.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
the December King said:
I have a question. Does anyone know what games Anita likes to play? I mean, what are her favorite games?
I think she refers to Beyond Good & Evil as one of her favorite games in one of her videos (one of the Damsel in Distress ones, I think) aside from that I don't know.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
the December King said:
I have a question. Does anyone know what games Anita likes to play? I mean, what are her favorite games?
I think she refers to Beyond Good & Evil as one of her favorite games in one of her videos (one of the Damsel in Distress ones, I think) aside from that I don't know.
Thanks. I've heard it's a great game (on these forums, if I recall). Does she do a review of it in that video?

I'm not trying to bait a trap or anything, I'd just like to see how she reviews games that, as a gamer, she personally likes.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
the December King said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
the December King said:
Thanks. I've heard it's a great game (on these forums, if I recall). Does she do a review of it in that video?
No, she just mentions in passing that it's one of her favorite games of all-time and uses it as an example of how having a female character isn't necessarily a Damsel In Distress because she needs to be rescued.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Lieju said:
Isn't that a problem with the user-base and people commenting?
Of course. There are any number of reasonable statements one can make on the internet which provoke dissent from toxic contrarians. My problem is with spending such an inordinate amount of time acknowledging that these problem people exist. I know they do. Why does the fact that they do not appreciate or understand the product have to be built into the product itself is what i'm asking. (not you. :) I just write all dramatic like)
If they don't want to listen and are in staunch opposition to accepting the opinion of the writer, I don't see why writers feel the need to tailor a message for them, addressing their disinterest and disdain, justifying continued efforts at writing despite their disinterest and disdain. It seems like a waste of everybody's time involved. Why not provide content exclusively for the readers who were drawn by the content, rather than engaging only with those who disagreed with the last article written.
Is it so wrong to just ignore them? If all they're guilty of is flawed logic and poorly constructed opinion, is it not primarily in the interest of the writer and not the audience to produce work geared exclusively toward countering the writer's detractors? Sure it can be funny in a pithy 'I love how he talks down to idiots!' way, but I don't need my reasons for being interested in criticism validated by way of a takedown of people with less interest. I just want the work.
Like I said this can sometimes be amusing, but mainly I find it massively self indulgent. If you decide to do a video series criticizing fine art and discussing its history, I would expect videos criticizing fine art and its history. Not serialized scorn and episodic exasperation (see what I did there) at how in this day and age there continue to exist people who consider fine art unworthy of their time. No. Those people aren't worthy of fine art's time. I don't see why they should get it, and in such spades.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
I would agree but when removed from sex my idea of gender is that gender is total bullshit, for that matter so is "race" which is a word I tend to refuse to use as ethnicity is better by 600 orders of magnitude. While I am not one to say I do not see gender or race I am one to not care about it, many see this as impossible but I beg to differ all it takes is to note how blindingly arbitrary all of this is, and it is all arbitrary. The are no man things or woman things nor white or Asian things in today's world. Sure such things have the origins said things but the internet has killed oceans. There are no more borders, there is no fringe, if you like it you can find others that like it, and they be nothing like you, and that is fantastic. Normal sucks, diverse is awesome.