Discworld and Game of Thrones Characters Go Pin-Up for Charity

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Discworld and Game of Thrones Characters Go Pin-Up for Charity

Terry Pratchett and George R.R. Martin are among the authors whose characters get Moyer's sexy treatment.

You may remember Rincewind as the skinny drink of water with the spirit of a wizard but the body of a long distance runner, from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series; however should you lay your hands on a copy of Lee Moyer's [https://leemoyer.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/2013-literary-pin-up-calendar-peter-s-beagle/] 2013 Literary Pin-Up Calendar you'll note one or two minor changes to the canon. Moyer has taken - with full permission from the authors concerned - inspiration from some of fantasy's most well-beloved characters to create this latest version of his charity cheesecake series.

The last time Moyer - a Dark Horse and DC Comics veteran - tackled something like this, he used the likes of Dickens and Hawthorne. However Moyer decided that 2013 deserved living authors' works, not the dead and dusty Twain, and so he contacted twelve fantasy icons and asked if they wouldn't mind lending Moyer their characters for the next calendar. They agreed, and thus Rincewind with a fake beard - among other things - was born.

The calendar is part of a charity effort produced in conjunction with Worldbuilders [http://worldbuilders.org/our-mission/], an organization whose mission statement is "to use the collective power of readers, fellow authors and book lovers to make the world a better place." Worldbuilders founder Patrick Rothfuss claims to have been inspired by Batman, arguing that the costumed crime fighter really isn't making the world a better place by beating up Joker, when he could be donating his billions to good causes instead. "He fights crime because it makes him feel good," Rothfuss argues, "not because it does good. There's a difference."

Not all of the characters featured are known at this point. Whether or not the likes of, say, Harry Dresden will get the Rincewind treatment is an open question. The calendar can be pre-ordered here. [http://thetinkerspacks.bigcartel.com/product/pre-order-2013-pin-up-calendar]

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/04/pratchett-gaiman-fantasy-literary-pin-up-calendar]

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
The Wind won't be the only thing you have to rince when those Calendars come out.
I think that joke just took 10 years off my life...

Ok that was mean, I'm sorry Mr. DVS BSTrD

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Can't imagine you need to do anything Martin's characters to sexualize them.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
No shirtless, grumpy Vimes or embarrassed, scrawny Rincewind but a generic busty fantasy female masquerading as Rincewind? I'll pass.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Gabanuka said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The Wind won't be the only thing you have to rince when those Calendars come out.

It's okay, who do you think got those 10 years?
mwwahahahahaha
??? VAMPIRE!

*throws steak at DVS BSTrD*

oh... wait... thats not right...

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
WanderingFool said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Gabanuka said:
DVS BSTrD said:

It's okay, who do you think got those 10 years?
mwwahahahahaha
??? VAMPIRE!

*throws steak at DVS BSTrD*

oh... wait... thats not right...
you know, main reason I still browse topics is to see DVS BSTrD's one liners
im not even kidding !

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I know nothing about this product as I didn't get a chance to read the article. My eyes instantly focused on "Jim Butcher"

Sold.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
rhizhim said:
you just opened the gates of hell. lets all thank you for our doom, lyri. thank you very much.
*jingles keys*
You're welcome.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
... I don't dress like that. I'd be fired if I did. Why do men think we dress like that? ... Bah. ... Nice shoes, though.

... That said, I might get this.

Edit: Also... my personal bookshelf looks very similar to that one.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
... I don't dress like that. I'd be fired if I did. Why do men think we dress like that? ... Bah. ... Nice shoes, though.

As a guy I can't help but laugh that you semi-criticize the dress but then compliment the shoes. Crazy women and their shoes!!!

(Disclaimer: when I moved in with my girlfriend little did I know that a good 100 or so boxes of shoes would be coming with her)

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
RandV80 said:
IndomitableSam said:

As a guy I can't help but laugh that you semi-criticize the dress but then compliment the shoes. Crazy women and their shoes!!!

(Disclaimer: when I moved in with my girlfriend little did I know that a good 100 or so boxes of shoes would be coming with her)
I wish I could wear shoes like that, but my feet are extra wide and size 10 so I can't usually wear pretty shoes. It's sad, especially since my sister runs a shoe store. I only have a half dozen or so pairs of shoes. Maybe a few more, but really onlt 4-6 pairs that I wear throughout the year. (That includes sandals and winter boots.)

I am a librarian so it bugs me when people think we dress like that. It's not practical - we do a ton of heavy lifting and books are filthy. I'd never wear white to work. Or a short skirt, we're always bending over for books and such, too.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
IndomitableSam said:
I am a librarian so it bugs me when people think we dress like that. It's not practical - we do a ton of heavy lifting and books are filthy. I'd never wear white to work. Or a short skirt, we're always bending over for books and such, too.
People think you dress like that, really?

TIL Opinions of librarians is "They're stuck in the time"

PS: No time warping and no doing it again.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the interpretation I saw of Rincewind will cause many a confused erection for people. And I will laugh at them because of it.