Dishonored 2 Debut Trailer and Image Gallery - Update

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Dishonored 2 Debut Trailer and Image Gallery - Update

Dishonored co-directors Raphael Colantonia and Harvey Smith officially announced Dishonored 2 at Bethesda's E3 conference Sunday night.

Update: Bethesda has released the official game description and story. See below.

Original Story: Despite an accidental open mic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14072-Dishonored-2-Leaked-Announcement] live streaming the rehearsal for the conference Saturday night, the official announcement for Dishonored 2 still came as an exciting revelation for fans of the original.

Dishonored was a 2012 title featuring a Steampunk assassin, and focused on a player-driven story and gameplay. It won more than 100 "Game of the Year" and "Action-Adventure Game of the Year" awards from a variety of media outlets. Fans saw Dishonored as a true old-school stealth game, requiring patience and a tactical approach to missions, breathing a new life into a genre many were concerned was on its final legs.

Smith moved to France after the October 2012 release of Dishonored to work on the follow up with Arkane Lyons.

Dishonored 2 will feature a new protagonist, Emily Kaldwin, the child princess from the original Dishonored. It was revealed that you can also play as Corvo, the hero from the first game.

Dishonored 2 will be available on PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One in the spring of 2016.

Game Description

"Reprise your role as a supernatural assassin in Dishonored 2, the highly anticipated follow up to Arkane Studios' 2012 Game of the Year! Explore a world unlike any other as either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano - both powerful assassins with their own unique set of supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets. Define your own playstyle by blending immersive first-person action, assassination, stealth, mobility and the game's brutal combat system. Combine the tools at your disposal to creatively eliminate your enemies whether you choose to pursue them unseen or ruthlessly attack head on with weapons drawn. Show no mercy and leave chaos in your wake or find a more subtle way to eliminate your targets. More than ever the choices you make will determine the outcome of each mission, and ultimately the game."

Story

"Dishonored 2 is set 15 years after the Lord Regent has been vanquished and the dreaded Rat Plague has passed into history. An otherworldly usurper has seized the throne from Empress Emily Kaldwin, leaving the fate of the Isles hanging in the balance. As either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano, travel beyond the legendary streets of Dunwall to Karnaca - a once-dazzling coastal city that holds the key to restoring Emily to power. Armed with the mark of the Outsider and powerful new supernatural abilities, hunt down your enemies and forever alter the fate of the Empire."

[gallery=4264]

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
YEEEESSSSSSS.

Finally! And points to whoever called it that you'll play as Emily. I assumed they'd ditch Gristol altogether and go with a character and conflict we haven't seen. I'll be interested to see how they follow up on Corvo and Emily, though, and if they've gotten their story-telling together.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh neat a female protagonist...wait, why is that dweeby guy picking up the mask? I can't wait to see some actual gameplay for this thing! The first Dishonored was really, really good if short and this one looks like...well, it doesn't LOOK like anything yet but I like the gravity-cancelling hookshot thing that Just Cause 2 took from Spider-Man.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh.

Sticking with the old characters seems like an opportunity missed. They weren't exactly prime material and the rest of the setting felt like it had some potential.

Plus that goopy spider-man thing she's doing just looks like a less elegant version of the crazily overpowered blink from the first game.

Rehash incoming.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Oh neat a female protagonist...wait, why is that dweeby guy picking up the mask?
It's a bit hard to tell with the different graphics, but I'm pretty sure "dweeby guy" is the Outsider.

(Who is also the narrator of the trailer.)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... That part at the end with Emily reminded me a LOT of The Darkness. I do like the sound of the Princess from the first game becoming a protagonist in the second, there's a pleasing sense of progression to it. The devs said they you can play both Corvo and her so I hope they make the most of this and give them both different powers and tricks.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Objectable said:
Will they make the "Good Guy" options not completely reprehensible this time around?
What's reprehensible about condemning people to slavery or to 3rd degree burns and banishment if they're asking for it? I don't think any of your targets in Dishonored 1 deserved mercy, but that's just me.

In regards to Dishonored 2 I have high hopes for this game. One of the few where I can watch the trailer and I'm confident I'll be able to do 95% of what I just saw even though this isn't in game footage.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
gphjr14 said:
Objectable said:
Will they make the "Good Guy" options not completely reprehensible this time around?
What's reprehensible about condemning people to slavery or to 3rd degree burns and banishment if they're asking for it? I don't think any of your targets in Dishonored 1 deserved mercy, but that's just me.

In regards to Dishonored 2 I have high hopes for this game. One of the few where I can watch the trailer and I'm confident I'll be able to do 95% of what I just saw even though this isn't in game footage.
When condeming a woman to be kidnapped, locked up, and potentially raped for the rest of her life is considered the "Good" option, the morals are off.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Objectable said:
gphjr14 said:
Objectable said:

When condeming a woman to be kidnapped, locked up, and potentially raped for the rest of her life is considered the "Good" option, the morals are off.
It wasn't the good option, it was the non-lethal option. Morality is more than just "good and bad" you know, there are points in between. There wasn't really a right answer to how to deal with that woman, you just had to make the best choice you could.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Objectable said:
gphjr14 said:
Objectable said:

I don't think it was about good vs. evil with your choices. It was about whether or not you'd plunge the city into chaos by committing a massive string of murders or not.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I certainly hope that ending bit isn't leading up to a moral choice system again.

But of course we can't really gather all that much from this, so just general hopes for the game. I hope the game's longer or the maps are bigger. The first game felt rather lethargic towards the end.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Sweet! I would like another Dishonered game. Although it seems Emily is really unlucky. If the CGI trailer isn't being misleading it looks like they changing up the power set too. This reminds me, I still gotten around to playing The Brigmore Witches. Hopefully it will go on sale.

Objectable said:
I don't think there was meant to be a good guy option. I think it was more kill them or make them suffer first or for if you want to be more subtle about what you are doing. Letting them live was never meant to be a mercy.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
So you now play the daughter of the Empress. Okay I wonder which ending they choose as canon and what happened to Corvo.
Like I said before I don?t think Dishonored really needed a sequel but hey if it is a s good as the first one I won?t object.
Just please don't start sequel baiting.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Ishigami said:
So you now play the daughter of the Empress. Okay I wonder which ending they choose as canon and what happened to Corvo.
Like I said before I don?t think Dishonored really needed a sequel but hey if it is a s good as the first one I won?t object.
Just please don't start sequel baiting.
I think the story and the characters were done but the world was begging for more tales to be told in it. I for one want to see more of the world, of The Ousider, of the mystery's that surround the past. I mean the world was just as important as the story and characters in the first.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Objectable said:
gphjr14 said:
Objectable said:

I know it is hard to notice with all children singing in the streets, unicorns prancing in the meadows and every single cutscene being basically a Disney -esque musical, but setting of Dishonored is meant to be bit on the grim side from the start.

I know, it was a big surprise for me too when I first realized it, but you need to read the subtle hints between the lines.

Seriously, don't we have enough games already where you play as the saintly saint of goody goodness, in a world so saccharine that you get diabetes after playing for two hours, can't we have at least few games where choices are less between black and white and instead more of gray and gray? Or is that just too much to ask?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My thoughts on the subject are that while the trailer is neat, I think the first game's was more powerful, I liked it better.

I'll also say that one of the reasons I never finished "Dishonored" was that I disliked the idea that the game gave you tons of fun toys to play with but then punished you with a bad ending for actually using them and killing people. I understand the "point" of this, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous and not all that fun from the sense of playing the game. If they keep that nonsense up I'll probably be skipping the second one.

To be fair though I confess that in these kinds of games I like to be able to use a variety of techniques and mix things up. Stealth is fun, but so is the option to walk in the front door and just kill everyone, of course for me the most fun is to use a combination of those methods. For example in Assassin's Creed my preferred M/O is to sneak into a position from which I can unleash a whirlwind of death, and then escape retribution using all my fancy avoidance techniques. Sometimes it's fun to hide in a location and watch patrols and pick everyone off silently and non-lethally, but other times it gets to be pretty boring, especially when even the best of these games have spotty detection mechanics. For example in playing Dishonored once I learned about what influenced the ending, I wound up spending most of my time sitting around and trying to perfectly time non-lethal takedowns on everything, I eventually did it, but it got very boring, and I was sitting here with literally dozens of ways to kill people and make life easier, and arguably more realistic, but the game wouldn't let me be an avenging steampunk specter of justice and still actually be a good guy in any way that matters. "Oh no, it's Corvo, this guy is deadly, better watch out for him" say the NPCs as I do little besides use knockout weapons and sleeper holds swords, guns, killer magic... nope, no fun toys for the good guys. :/

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Shoggoth2588 said:
Oh neat a female protagonist...wait, why is that dweeby guy picking up the mask? I can't wait to see some actual gameplay for this thing! The first Dishonored was really, really good if short and this one looks like...well, it doesn't LOOK like anything yet but I like the gravity-cancelling hookshot thing that Just Cause 2 took from Spider-Man.
"That dweeby guy" is The Outsider, he can do whatever he wants.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Loving the look of the new city, really has this colonial feel going for it. Now I just have to finish the first one and get myself a platform that can actually play this game, and I'm set.