Dishonored 2 Shouldn't Be Encouraging Comparisons to Thief

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dishonored 2 Shouldn't Be Encouraging Comparisons to Thief

It's generally accepted that Dishonored is a spiritual successor to Thief, but it's not always a benefit to be so closely attached to something so fondly remembered.

Read Full Article

Shannon Spencer Fox

Sep 10, 2008
Interestingly enough, the whole 'conversation' thing is something I noticed FFXV do rather well, even from the start of the game. One of the funniest bits I've heard so far involved two guys talking about the idea of 'souping up' a Chocobo, much like you would with a car... which is something that was covered (with hilarious results...) in the webcomic 8-Bit Theatre.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I've heard FF XV has the OPPOSITE problem; they are always whining about nonsense, and never ever about the main plot.
I also read that they seem to look at their tablets/phones a whole lot when driving around, so I can't WAIT till you play it for ZP.
Uh, I mean, how you play the first... 1.5-2 hours of it? ;)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Would Yahtzee instead prefer Dishonored's next game rips off Assassins' Creed? The first one? With the tailing, and the eavesdropping, and the pick-pocketing, and bullying town criers.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
That's why the (first two) Batman games worked so well. The random mooks you could stalk from the shadows would half the time talk about how much they hate Batman, and half the time talk about some pizza place on the corner that they robbed that one time.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"(Quick quiz - without looking it up, how many of you can name Chris Pratt's character in Jurassic World?),"

Owen Grady

...was that meant to be hard?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Also they seemed to have doubled down on their Steven Russell quota by having him voice most the NPCs. As lovely and seductively raspy as his voice is like a windmill of chocolate covered pine cones slowly melting on the savouring taste buds of an amorous kraken...having him do that much just makes me feel like I'm in his version of "that scene" from the film Being John Malkovich.

Quietteshy

Jun 20, 2016
Hawki said:
"(Quick quiz - without looking it up, how many of you can name Chris Pratt's character in Jurassic World?),"

Owen Grady

Good work looking it up on IMDB, have a cookie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Quietteshy said:
Hawki said:

Owen Grady

Um, no, I didn't, I knew it because I'd seen the film.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Hawki said:
Quietteshy said:
Hawki said:

Owen Grady

Um, no, I didn't, I knew it because I'd seen the film.
I wouldn't remember after T-1 days

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
This was a good, refreshing read. It actually examined the aesthetic effects of aspects of these games, like you'd expect from criticism of (and I shudder at the word) art. A quote to illustrate:

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Thief is by nature a lonely, atmospheric game, that one might easily find oppressive, but there's something companionable about Garrett's confident sarcasm, especially the way it sounds like his mouth was very close to the microphone. His voice alone almost totally flips the dynamic around, making you feel like a dangerous prowler of the shadows rather than a scared creature hiding from the guards.
In a word: this. Sometimes the focus Yahtzee's acidic Zero Punctuation persona can overshadow his really quite precise insights into the medium.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
When I first played Dishonored, it seemed to me like it was a sort of mediocre Thief fan mission.

Then I played the new Thief game, and it seemed to me like it was a sort of mediocre Dishonored fan mission.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
But every guard getting together for whiskey and cigars after they got their own squad inspite what happened last night is part of the atmosphere! Now they seems to all have the same silly, sock happy requisition officer to deal with while pondering on their purpose using yet another footwear as a metaphore (some writer's fetish definetly spotted)!

Dumb charm is something I like to embrace rather than nitpick endlessly, but each to their own. For example, Dragon's Dogma is a mess of an open-world RPG with a lot of half baked ideas and few outstanding ones, but to a lot of us who got on the late ride with the PC release this year, it's hillarious. Like goofing around in a fantasy comedy flick. I even liked Two Worlds, so with that out in the open, you can discredit my opinion now in an orderly fashion.

Sometimes I can't understand why Yahtzee gets bogged down on issues and making them look like major flaws, after re-watching some of his first videos for the n+1th time, he seems to be really fatigued, doing this for almost a decade now really shows.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I remember enough of both the Thief and Half Life games to see it's generously borrowing from both series. However, since we're not getting any more of those games, I'm not unhappy for Dishonored to feel like a hybrid continuation of both.

Hell, a few missions in Dishonored+DLC feel very much a shoutout from the Thief games.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I've not even played Dishonored 2, I've only seen clips of the clockwork mansion, but even in that the bad voice acting shines through clear as day. "I'll make Jindosh pay for what he's done, and maybe I will find Sokolov here as well," says Corvo, with the conviction of someone reading off their shopping list. I blame the writing more though, the word order of that sentence is so bad, there is no way to inject passion into it. Maybe it should have said "Hopefully Sokolov is still here... Jindosh, you will pay for what you've done." That keeps the objective reminders in, but also sounds natural and lets the voice actor finish with a dramatically venomous bit.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Meh, for me dishonored should stop inciting comparisons to thief because holy hell is dishonored nowhere near close to anything thief. Free tip for bethesda: if you want to recreate the golden mix that made thief work, start with a character that is not a teleporting magic flinging ninja hobo skeletor mroe overpowered than Goku in DBZ. Maybe then I could actualy be persuaded to give a shit about the mission and feel the slightest bit of thrill in the sneaking, when I'm not just teleporting in and out stoping time to slash the bad guy and vanishing before anyone has even had time to hear the fat I let out upon entry.

And that's why dishonored is a fail pile for me ... there is no thief to be found here. Fuck, Thief 4 is more thief than dishonored, if only because it actualy makes an honest atempt at making a game about a thief, and not an overpowered magic farting super hobo that could not be stoped by an entire army.